• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic: Showdown (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubi FunHouse, figurine game, Steam EA, $20)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is made by Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft Fun House. You'll remember Ubisoft Funhouse as the division created out of the Child of Light/Blood Dragon teams and other similar projects. I think this is the first in-house Might and Magic game in forever.

Basically, it's a miniature action combat game. You paint your figurines (or choose a pre-made look if you're not good at painting), equip your hero with 6 different abilities, and then set up FF12/DAO-style gambits for your three allied monster characters. You then have duels or play through a singleplayer campaign.

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/517070/

Free paint workshop app if you want to try painting figurines: http://store.steampowered.com/app/571460/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na6s1eoO_xc

Gameplay Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtWJqEHLWaw

Set in the rich RPG fantasy universe of Might & Magic with its diverse bestiary, Might & Magic® SHOWDOWN is a tactical PvP combat experience where you command a team of customizable miniature heroes and creatures to overcome your opponent by mixing strategic planning and real-time action in quick, bite-sized sessions. Build your team and bring the miniatures to life through a combination of visual personalization and programmable actions that will define your playstyle and ultimately bring them to the battleground for the Showdown!

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

”The early access version of Might & Magic® Showdown is already a well-rounded package including figurine painting, a solo campaign, and a rich PvP mode. We will concentrate on balancing and polishing this experience first, but we are also fully open to add fresh content in the mix owing to your suggestions (New modes? More figurines? More solo missions? Etc.), but this is a decision we want to make with you once the Early Access started."

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

”The game is already offering a lot of varied content. In terms of gameplay experience we offer the possibility to fully paint figurines through different modes, learn the game mechanics through a solo campaign consisting of 30 missions, collect up to 20 figurines and create different teams, and finally take on the other players in a solid PvP experience.

We know that those experiences are not fully polished and balanced yet, so we will seek your feedback to make them evolve."

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

”Right now we have no plans to change the Might & Magic® Showdown price point during or after Early Access."

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

”We will be in constant dialogue with the community through the Might & Magic® Showdown Steam forums Every 2 weeks we plan on posting our current development plans in the forum based on your feedback, and every other week we will release a patch with notes associated.

So basically the community will be both able to suggest priorities, and challenge our answers on a weekly basis, so don't hesitate!"

ss_b59d01df74294bbf89f9e2f4b1430fd7d91699bc.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c28059ecb21adcc5479fd44cfb2f803f56a1936d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_14e05a615c69f1adcb980ce5a3976f312769b9dd.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b7865d9d7c711933fef7b21c965b72868c16db3e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_82b00096d068950719b2748d0194477f86c6fb1e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_6cb99fd80f5603cca1a185e7e818a5739be643a3.1920x1080.jpg

ss_1129a9503e00d17c0eee98e0c09c243b2406eb44.1920x1080.jpg

I wonder why they decided to go with "miniatures." There has never been a line of Might & Magic minis, has there? And they're not planning on one as far as we know?
Do the developers just like minis in general?

Adnor

Banned
The miniature painter looks pretty cool at least, you can actually use a brush. Or just use a bucket an paint by parts, or the entire miniature in one color.

marrec

Banned
I see very little reason for this to be a Might and Magic game. Stop letting us M&M fans down please Ubi...

M&M X was amazing so they get a free pass for another 2 years in my book, as long as they eventually release an M&M XI that's as good or better I'm down for whatever.

The miniature painter looks pretty cool at least, you can actually use a brush. Or just use a bucket an paint by parts, or the entire miniature in one color.

Ya that seemed pretty cool, and the concept ain't terrible either, I'll definitely give it a chance.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Fun House is the Ubisoft division that was made out of the Child of Light and Blood Draogn people. It looks like they're actually taking this series in house again.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
M&M X was amazing so they get a free pass for another 2 years in my book, as long as they eventually release an M&M XI that's as good or better I'm down for whatever.

Did you miss the disaster that was Heroes 7 that was left to die?

marrec

Banned
So Fun House is the Ubisoft division that was made out of the Child of Light and Blood Draogn people. It looks like they're actually taking this series in house again.

Ya they let go of Limbic last year right? So the future of Might and Magic is certainly questionable from a genre and quality standpoint.

Did you miss the disaster that was Heroes 7 that was left to die?

The Heroes series has always been boring to me (Alright, 3 was decent), Might and Magic was garbage for years until Legacy was released and was amazing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That battle system looks like it has some kind of FFXII like AI/Gambit stuff going on? This is weird.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That battle system looks like it has some kind of FFXII like AI/Gambit stuff going on? This is weird.

Your main character is basically an action character with six abilities.

The AI companions use gambits, yes. You don't control them directly.

I got really excited about painting miniatures for a minute, since I do a lot of wargaming. Then it sunk in that it is all digital... but that is still kinda cool! I doubt I can transfer my brush skills to a digital version though, but it is worth looking into.

This makes me wonder, if they did all this is there anything stopping them from eventually coming out with an actual tabletop version? If the models are well designed I could certainly see adding them to a Frostgrave warband or something. Or maybe get the 3D models of the figures and see about transferring them to a 3D printer for some physical version.

Looks neat.

SentryDown

Virtually painting figurines and then programming them with -what looks like- pretty deep possibilities ? Not super interested but at least that's new.

Adnor

Banned
I got really excited about painting miniatures for a minute, since I do a lot of wargaming. Then it sunk in that it is all digital... but that is still kinda cool! I doubt I can transfer my brush skills to a digital version though, but it is worth looking into.

This makes me wonder, if they did all this is there anything stopping them from eventually coming out with an actual tabletop version? If the models are well designed I could certainly see adding them to a Frostgrave warband or something. Or maybe get the 3D models of the figures and see about transferring them to a 3D printer for some physical version.

Looks neat.

They would do physical figurines, yeah, but it looks like you wouldn't translate the gameplay to tabletop because it's real time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm honestly torn on this. On one hand classic M&M gameplay, both as an RPG and as TBS is a gaseous sale at best and this isn't the first time they tried something more PVP-involved, something faster ("bite-sized"), something more for the mobile age of quick session games. Honestly, the idea of painted miniatures fighting is really cool and is landing quite close to the series roots of old NWC developers growing on DnD. I can't shake off the feeling of "not my Might and Magic" either however.

Ultimately this could be really cool if they actually put in effort into this and not send it to die with bugs, incomplete and dysfunctional multi-player like they did the last game.

The Heroes series has always been boring to me (Alright, 3 was decent), Might and Magic was garbage for years until Legacy was released and was amazing.

It's fine it you feel like that, but the fact is that the track record on Ubi isn't very good right now.

Deadstar

Might be looking to start painting figures so this will be good practice. Anyone know of any other game on steam that let's you paint minis?

Speely

Banned
Whoa! Looks weird and interesting. I am in. Might try it out after work. :) I like the idea, and the team has proven that it can do good work.

Stormy

How the figures look is exactly what I would want in my perfect DnD video game. Let me choose from figurines and then have the game world simply be a map like on the tabletop. That would be so awesome. Just wanted that out there. :)

For this game, looks neat and I may try it out at some point.

deleted

Looks neat! I have no idea what to make of the Gameplay though. If they want to get behind eSports with this, it could be interesting to see what other players are doing with the settings for the AI. But in the end, there is most likely an ideal configuration that is shared all over the net after a very short while for each minion?!

And many things lean on your own character. He needs to be fun to control. And so far, it doesn't really look like that. Or they choose some awful skills to present.

Luq

Weird that Warhammer didn't do it first...

I love the concept, but I was hoping for different combat system. Still - gonna pick it up one day since it looks quite unique.

Castef

Banned
Trying this now.

Nice idea, I still have to understand who is the proper "target" for the game. Problem is: the battles themselves are pretty forgettable. Also, the UI is not very good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Game is cancelled without ever leaving Early Access.

Hello Heroes,

We regret to announce that Might & Magic SHOWDOWN will be shutting down on July 31, 2017, ending our Early Access period and ceasing server support. As a result, the game will be inaccessible after this date.

We wish to convey our sincerest gratitude to you, our dedicated players, who have helped us navigate the management of an Early Access campaign – because of you, we have learned a great deal about how best to serve you and we hope to carry these learnings forward into future Ubisoft projects.

We also owe a very special debt of gratitude to our Might & Magic fans who accepted this new take on the universe. It has been our pleasure and honor to deal with one of gaming’s longest lived communities.

Effective immediately, Might & Magic SHOWDOWN will be removed from the Steam Store to prevent further purchase of the Early Access license. The game will remain in your Steam Library, but server support will end on July 31, 2017 and the game itself will become inoperable. In an effort to ensure that we abide by our players’ expectations of the Early Access model, we will be offering full refunds to players who feel they are owed them until July 31, 2017.

Thank you Heroes.
The Might & Magic SHOWDOWN team

Top Bottom