• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.. Turkey accuses Sweden of genocide..what the F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Just read about it, and I'm thinking "gotta be a joke" - but it seems to be the real deal.

Turkish television aired a documentary about Sweden. It portrayed the country as barbaric and without freedom of speech. But it doesn't end there. Apparantely Sweden has also been committing genocide on Samis and more all the way into the late 1980's. It's hillarious in its absurdity.

I guess they got pissed about taking some heat about a genocide that took place in Tukey, aimed at armenians, which some swedish organizations (amongst others, of course) have been yelling about. Also, Orhan Pamuk (whom is turkish) won the Nobel-price in litterature. He's been fairly heavy on the critiscm against Turkey.

I mean grow up. A public network airing crap like that? If it isn't a mocumentary or something, I dunno what to believe.

Just wanted to vent it :)

X26

Banned
Turkey of all places claiming a country is barbaric and lacking in human rights? :lol :lol :lol

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
I always associated sweden and genocide in the same sentence. Didn't you? Damn swedes, they're worse than the dutch.

Before modern times, it's true the Scandinavian states weren't exactly embracing the Sami people. It was limited to discrimination and trying to assimilate them, rather than killing them.

Anyway, yeah, it's ridiculous. :)

itsinmyveins

X26 said:
Turkey of all places claiming a country is barbaric and lacking in human rights? :lol :lol :lol

Considering the welfare state and the pretty heavy "constitution" protecting freedom of speech, yeah, its quite the weird thing to say. The only thing I know that isn't protected by freedom of speech is ironically agitation against an ethnic group.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
29.jpg

When will the world start paying attention to the Sami Holocaust? I say we invade and take Robersan's twins!

itsinmyveins

Instigator said:
Before modern times, it's true the Scandinavian states weren't exactly embracing the Sami people. It was limited to discrimination and trying to assimilate them, rather than killing them.

Well yeah, sure. But everybody hated everybody in that old age. Wherever you went :)

Tauntaun said:
They're just cranky that the EU doesn't want them. Burp them and give them a nap.

Also on of the first thoughts that occured :p

itsinmyveins

Instigator said:
Anyway, can anyone link us to that Turkish 'evidence' of the Sami genocide. :)

I'd love to see the documentary itself, with subtitles of course. Haven't seen anything from it yet though, only read about it in some swedish newspapers.

Sure, samis might have been treated bad/with less respect and even been bullied. And that's sad, of course, and should be stopped. Even though the whole northern (where samis live, that is) part of Sweden kinda complains about being "bullied" by the extremly more populated southern parts on a regular basis. But genocide? Come on.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Armenians, Assyrians, Greeks, Kurds, Arabs, and other minorities say "Hi!"

Seriously, how many MILLIONS did the failing Ottoman/New Republic Turkish state kill in the 20th century? three? four? five? Turkey is an expert at genocide and ethnic cleansing.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
What's the name of the channel that broadcasted it?

EDIT: Because I don't really believe this to be true, Turkey is extremely cautious with the G-word and won't accuse anybody of it actually. Only time I heard it about other countries is what happened in Srebrenica, where the brave Dutch soldiers protec......you know what it's not even worth to joke about it, heard they got a medal for it though.

barf the mog, I think you should estimate higher, I mean if I where you I would say numbers like 10, 20....you know what make it 40 million people, this way we aproach the Japanese and they are considered cool around these boards, right!

itsinmyveins

RamzaIsCool said:
What's the name of the channel that broadcasted it?

EDIT: Because I don't really believe this to be true, Turkey is extremely cautious with the G-word and won't accuse anybody of it actually. Only time I heard it about other countries is what happened in Srebrenica, where the brave Dutch soldiers protec......you know what it's not even worth to joke about it, heard they got a medal for it though.

I have no idea whatsoever, just read about it. It was a public channel, that's all I know. I'm not saying it's Turkeys official stance on Sweden - it might just be demons in the head of the documentary-maker and a lack of insight in what they actually broadcasted.

megateto

Barf_the_Mog said:
Armenians, Assyrians, Greeks, Kurds, Arabs, and other minorities say "Hi!"

Seriously, how many MILLIONS did the failing Ottoman/New Republic Turkish state kill in the 20th century? three? four? five? Turkey is an expert at genocide and ethnic cleansing.

And everything needed to deny all of those genocides. Orhan Pamuk is among the Turkish intelectuals with problems related to expressing their objections to certain actions the Turkish nation carried out years ago.

SAU

RamzaIsCool said:
barf the mog, I think you should estimate higher, I mean if I where you I would say numbers like 10, 20....you know what make it 40 million people, this way we aproach the Japanese and they are considered cool around these boards, right!
What was the number of native Americans in America before the now-called Americans arrived?

Remedy

Banned
where is this? no turkish news website makes any mention of turkey accusing Sweden of anything?

http://www.turkishweekly.net
http://www.turkishdigest.com
http://www.cihannews.com
http://www.zaman.com
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/

look for yourself.

Also turkey knows that a genocide by the French against the Algerians occurred like most of the world, but don't choose to recognise that even though France has made it illegal to doubt the Armenian genocide.

Also anyone interested in reading up on the so called Armenian genocide, spend some time checking this website out.

http://www.tallarmeniantale.com

itsinmyveins

Remedy:

As I said; it's a documentary that was (supposedly) aired on turkish television. It doesn't mean that it's some crazy and official view, it might just be some weird dudes fantasy that was aired due to lack of insight from the channels executives.

I'm confident that most turkish newsagencys and etcetera just brushes it off. It's total nonsense and quite embarrassing, after all.

Or maybe it was just a ruse? A bullshit story, which nobody checked out properly - anything is possible.

Concerning you link; "Supporting the case against the Armenian Genocide Myth with mostly impartial evidence". Made me laugh, at least. I see no reason whatsoever to why that site would be a better source than others.

Hyoushi

OK. Checked out the actual story just now.

The documentary making the claims in question was shown on on turkish channel TRT this monday. 8 more broadcasts were scheduled but have now been put on hold pending investigation. Turkish intellectuals, state officials and media have reacted against it, most notably a journalist named Yavuz Baydar at the newspaper Sabah. Baydar suspects ultranationalist interest groups to be involved in the production of the film.

In the film, the media advisor for Swedish National Radio is interviewed, and is portrayed as confirming the sami persecution / genocide. In reality, she states that she was flabbergasted by the absurd questions, and also her answers have been dubbed into turkish (to conceal what the real answers were) and slanted significantly.

So yeah, this is nothing to worry about, and definitely not cause for this thread to turn into a discussion of severity / nomenclature of the Turk-Armenian war of 1915-17.

itsinmyveins

Hyoushi said:
OK. Checked out the actual story just now.

The documentary making the claims in question was shown on on turkish channel TRT this monday. 8 more broadcasts were scheduled but have now been put on hold pending investigation. Turkish intellectuals, state officials and media have reacted against it, most notably a journalist named Yavuz Baydar at the newspaper Sabah. Baydar suspects ultranationalist interest groups to be involved in the production of the film.

In the film, the media advisor for Swedish National Radio is interviewed, and is portrayed as confirming the sami persecution / genocide. In reality, she states that she was flabbergasted by the absurd questions, and also her answers have been dubbed into turkish (to conceal what the real answers were) and slanted significantly.

So yeah, this is nothing to worry about, and definitely not cause for this thread to turn into a discussion of severity / nomenclature of the Turk-Armenian war of 1915-17.

Heh, it's pretty absurd. And that crap was really aired? How the hell did they get "clearance" to air somethiing like that? What kind of channel is it?

I know about some of the hardship both sami and romans have been put through, which of course is despicable, but it has never even been in the vicinity of genocide.

Remedy

Banned
Anyway here is something far more interesting, Turkish women!

Azra Akin - Miss World 2002
2059-1-1.jpg

Deniz Akkaya
Image:Deniz_Akkaya.jpg

Doga Bekleriz
doga_bekleriz_05.jpg

Gul Golge
1819Gul_Golge_03.jpg

Tugce Kazaz
Tugce-Kazaz.jpg

Tugba Ozay
Image:Tu%C4%9Fba%C3%96zay5.jpg

Cagla Kabat
cagla_kubat_005.jpg

this is the fascist turkey we know :lol

let me know if u want more?

itsinmyveins

Yeah, pretty hot. But I don't see any relevance here. Turkey isn't being let into the EU for a reason. I'm not saying the people are bad or anything. I've been to Turkey and I found it a nice place for vacation and met a lot of nice people. Granted, I didn't go to any of the bigger cities.

Remedy

Banned
im trying to derail the hate, its like as soon as turkey gets mentioned on the board people have this natural prejudice towards a country and people they do not know.

i appreciate that there are people who are having a valid discussion, but my experience of this board is that there are many people who use these posts to push there agenda when it comes to turkey. This agenda is the unwarranted hate towards Turks and Muslims in general.

the reason i posted the women was to break this prejudice that some people on this board with their elitist views can try to see, that Turks indeed are people too.

Remedy said:
im trying to derail the hate, its like as soon as turkey gets mentioned on the board people have this natural prejudice towards a country and people they do not know.

i appreciate that there are people who are having a valid discussion, but my experience of this board is that there are many people who use these posts to push there agenda when it comes to turkey. This agenda is the unwarranted hate towards Turks and Muslims in general.

the reason i posted the women was to break this prejudice that some people on this board with their elitist views can try to see, that Turks indeed are people too.

Hey, I had a Turkish female colleague with such an obvious crush on me. I was flattered, but not interested.

However, Turkish women, though pretty, are not usually blond, despite what your pics suggest. :)

Remedy

Banned
However, Turkish women, though pretty, are not usually blond, despite what your pics suggest

No its probes 80% brunette and 20% blonde, but then again it depends on the region. For example did you know the Finnish are descendants from Turks? Known as Altaic peoples such as the Hungarians, Japanese, Koreans etc.

So Turks have everything, we have blonde blues eyes to black hair dark eyes. From white to dark skin.

Cengiz Han has over 700 million descendent living in the world now, this doesn't include the rest of his army or all the Turkic army's that ever existed

here's a comprehensive list of the Turkic peoples over the years. Most Europeans would find that they are related to Turks in one way or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic

itsinmyveins

Here in Sweden döner kebab is one of the most common junkfoods, next to pizza and hamburgers. Damn, it's good :D

Remedy

Banned
Here in Sweden döner kebab is one of the most common junkfoods, next to pizza and hamburgers. Damn, it's good

If you ever wondered which i doubt, doner means turning.

Also since ive posted some women, this next one i hear is popular in Sweden, she is half Swedish and half Turkish.

Vendela-Kirsebom-0799.jpg

Remedy said:
No its probes 80% brunette and 20% blonde, but then again it depends on the region. For example did you know the Finnish are descendants from Turks? Known as Altaic peoples such as the Hungarians, Japanese, Koreans etc.

So Turks have everything, we have blonde blues eyes to black hair dark eyes. From white to dark skin.

Cengiz Han has over 700 million descendent living in the world now, this doesn't include the rest of his army or all the Turkic army's that ever existed

here's a comprehensive list of the Turkic peoples over the years. Most Europeans would find that they are related to Turks in one way or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic

The Uralo Altaic family branch is speculative and not really proven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uralo-Altaic

The only thing linguists agree on is that Finnish is related to Hungarian, Estonian, Sami and the minority languages in northern Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_language

As for the blond Turks, it could just be as well that the DNA of the people living in Turkey before the Ottoman invasion is still present in some Turks today. You have the same phenomenon in Eastern Chinese provinces where Caucasians used to live centuries ago. :)

itsinmyveins

Remedy said:
If you ever wondered which i doubt, doner means turning.

Also since ive posted some women, this next one i hear is popular in Sweden, she is half Swedish and half Turkish.

Vendela-Kirsebom-0799.jpg

We don't really call it "döner", just "kebab" :)

And yes, I'm familiar with Kirsebom.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Uhm that Swedish thing isn't the official stance in Turkey, I checked all the bigger newspapers and I found nothing regarding that being the case. So isn't the title a bit misleading, not to say that this documentary isn't made. And i wouldn't be surprised if nationalist where involved somehow, but they suck like they do in the rest of the world. but I am surprised though that this was broadcasted on the TRT, because it's state television and things that appear on that are pretty strict regelated.

And Remedy you can do better then that right? :)

Deniz Akkaya:

deniz_akkaya_24.jpg

Arzu Yanardag:

arzu_yanardag_042.jpg

Doga Rutkay:

doga_rutkay_02.jpg

And none of them are blond!

itsinmyveins

RamzaIsCool said:
Uhm that Swedish thing isn't the official stance in Turkey, I checked all the bigger newspapers and I found nothing regarding that being the case. So isn't the title a bit misleading, not to say that this documentary isn't made. And i wouldn't be surprised if nationalist where involved somehow, but they suck like they do in the rest of the world. but I am surprised though that this was broadcasted on the TRT, because it's state television and things that appear on that are pretty strict regelated.

Well, I've been saying that it isn't an official stance all along. But yeah, the title might be a bit misleading, sorry :(

EDIT: Fixed the title. Didn't know you could edit it before :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom