• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 PSVR Impressions

sn00zer

VR impressions seem scattered across the wind making then pretty difficult to find. Any chance we consolidate the VR impressions into one thred. Especially since this is the first AAA PSVR game.

xrnzaaas

I would love to see the PSVR reaction videos from
the bug infested area near the projector in the old house. I HATE BUGS.
:)

The demo was a total nopefest for me, on a scary level rather than a nausea level, it's worth adding. Just a really real, really unsettling environment to inhabit. I don't think I will be buying this game :(

Props to Capcom though.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The demo was a total nopefest for me, on a scary level rather than a nausea level, it's worth adding. Just a really real, really unsettling environment to inhabit. I don't think I will be buying this game :(

Props to Capcom though.

Hahaha nice

Very immersive. Seems quite a fluid experience so far. Controls well.

Looks pretty crap at times though. Not sure if it's the power of the console or the resolution of the screen, but I think I'd prefer to play it non-VR with extremely crisp visuals on my PC.

bombshell

Very immersive. Seems quite a fluid experience so far. Controls well.

Looks pretty crap at times though. Not sure if it's the power of the console or the resolution of the screen, but I think I'd prefer to play it non-VR with extremely crisp visuals on my PC.

PS4 regular or pro?

I was so close to buying this game today. Then I watched Dan play a quick look on GB. And I said nope, never playing that.

wapplew

Surprisingly comfortable, like zero motion sickness what so ever.
First few minutes I notice the low resolution and some bad textures but those problem quickly go away when I get immersed.
Head tracking aiming also fix my bad right stick aiming. I feel more scare when no enemy around, random sound and voice freak me out, often by my own footstep.
Before RE7, I thought I'm good with VR game being bite size "experience". Now I'm convinced VR is good for full blown game too.

PS4 regular or pro?

I'm assuming both since I played it in VR with a Pro yesterday and it could look downright bad at times. Especially in the opening outdoors section. Once you get in the house things get better, and I do think the character models look good for the most part.

Only played for like an hour since I try to not overdo it with VR games but I loved what I played.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Played 2 hours in VR and actually had to take a small break because of how tense it was. I'm using the smooth motion for moving instead of the 30-45 degree angle movement, at first it may seem too fast or nauseating but you quickly adjust and adapt to it. I switched to my ks8000 for a bit and it just doesn't compare to how good the game is in VR.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Capcom seemed to have nailed this game in VR. Lots of crazy positive impressions out there.

Does this make RE7 the first VR AAA game?

Daggoth

Demo:
Played all three demos. When the third demo dropped, I tried it in VR, and as soon as I realised the moldy door was now unlocked, I went NOPE and decided to stick to a known area of the demo instead (the VHS tape).

Full game:
I've only played about an hour - I'm at the point where the first gun is dropped by someone else and you pick it up. Standard PS4, not Pro.

I've not NOPE'd out of anything yet, although there are times where I've squinted through my eyes because I really don't like what I'm looking at.

Graphics are not great. In particular, the foliage in the first area almost feels like early PS2 quality. Indoors, it's a lot more acceptable, but the resolution quality just isn't there.

The disembodied hands and the automatic camera movement (screen blacks out, you teleport elsewhere - it'll be a comfort thing) are a bit jarring.

But all that aside, it does a great job of making you feel like you're in a real space. It's disconcerting. Not sure if I'll be able to go the distance :(

Edit: most of the comfort options are turned on, except for smooth turning on the analog stick. I felt a little bit ill after the gun pickup encounter above.

I'm assuming both since I played it in VR with a Pro yesterday and it could look downright bad at times. Especially in the opening outdoors section. Once you get in the house things get better, and I do think the character models look good for the most part.

Only played for like an hour since I try to not overdo it with VR games but I loved what I played.

Yeah it definitely looks better inside, but still pretty bad.

Right now the VR tech feels like it's kinda "there" but it needs the raw horsepower behind it, which it lacks.

manzo

Regular.

Pro isn't that much of a bump in power so I doubt the visual fidelity will be that much higher though.

It's a goddamn day and night difference in VR between the regular and Pro. One of the biggest differences there can be.

I only played through the demo and it was between being scared and getting nausea. Some of the jump scares went straight over my head when I was having some VR sickness at the end.

I only got to play up until the first house, but walking up to the house, and walking in to your first dark room... I was legit nervous. Haha Having good headphones on as well... borderline 2spooky4me. The daylight wooded area in the begin seemed very low-res (playong on the Pro even), but it wasnt that bad, and once you get in the house... it simply doesnt matter. Its COMPLETELY immersive and, IMO, THE VR experience to sell all VR. A flat out VR seller.

Gonna have to play this one with buddies! Haha

It's a goddamn day and night difference in VR between the regular and Pro. One of the biggest differences there can be.

I only played through the demo and it was between being scared and getting nausea. Some of the jump scares went straight over my head when I was having some VR sickness at the end.

Any examples?

Eg what is the resolution in VR when playing on regular vs pro?

Or is it more than that - improved texture quality, AA, etc?

It looks bad on the regular so a 'night and day' difference is quite hard for me to believe to be honest.

Raonak

Banned
I'm only about 2-3 hours in, but this is definitely the best VR game I've played, The most scared i've been at a videogame, and probably one of the coolest things I've experienced.

it's tense as fuck, the house feels claustrophobic. you don't know where things are going to come from. leaning your body to peer around corners is fucking awesome.
Getting grabbed by enemies feels so .... disturbing. it accurately tricks your brain into thinking that they are not only invading your personal space, but they are about to touch you, I found myself twisting my body to avoid attacks.

There's simple moments, like entering a dark room, and you're just alone in an abyss. That was kinda terrifying. Had to keep narrating to myself to keep calm haha.
Hiding from enemies feels so immersive RE7, where it legitimately feels like he's there. you can hear him, walking around the house, I felt paralysed.
I also didn't feel much nausea. The fixed 30deg rotation really works for VR games with movement, i've found.

It's both terrifying, but also surprisingly fun, in a way normal horror games aren't.
Normally I just wanna put the game down, but with RE7 I wanna see how far they can go to scare me the adrenaline rush of experiencing this shit "first hand" overrides my will to not play the game.

It is definitely a VR Killer App imo. This shows that VR doesn't have to be short experiences.

Terrifying, unnerving, scary as shit, all in the best possible way.

Really hope this gives VR a push in the right direction because it really is brilliant. Even without VR, RE7 is great but VR adds a whole new level to it.

watdaeff4

Ugh. I've been holding out on buying a Pro (non-4K peasant here) and PSVR, but damn, this game and the impressions from here really, really makes me want to .

manzo

Any examples?

Eg what is the resolution in VR when playing on regular vs pro?

Or is it more than that - improved texture quality, AA, etc?

It looks bad on the regular so a 'night and day' difference is quite hard for me to believe to be honest.

Textures are the same, but the resolution is so much better. Makes the game a lot cleaner. It's like the vaseline filter went away. But of course, YMMV. For me, it was a huge difference.

simtmb

Quite immersive but at times a bit jarring in some scenes where you see your hands (too close, too far etc).

Looks very rough on OG PS4, things improve past the opening segment though, I've also played it on the Pro and it is noticeably better (resolution). I also haven't tried changing the control options as so far been feeling good while playing it.

The head tracking for aiming works wonderfully, and overall the experience is top notch, at times stunning. I believe it is a must play in VR.

Textures are the same, but the resolution is so much better. Makes the game a lot cleaner. It's like the vaseline filter went away. But of course, YMMV. For me, it was a huge difference.

Anyone know the actual difference in resolution?

I'll not be investing in a Pro, just curious to see what the gap is.

zoukka

The visuals were pretty bad before you got into interiors, but then it's all good. In fact I was never distracted by the lower rez textures and models since the immersion and pure dread is so strong.

manzo

Anyone know the actual difference in resolution?

I'll not be investing in a Pro, just curious to see what the gap is.

No idea on the real resolutions. NX Gamer in the other thread said that he's doing calculations this weekend.

I'd say the difference is like... 900p with PS3's old QAA changed to 1080p 2xMSAA. That's the closest I can visualize.

No idea on the real resolutions. NX Gamer in the other thread said that he's doing calculations this weekend.

I'd say the difference is like... 900p with PS3's old QAA changed to 1080p 2xMSAA. That's the closest I can visualize.

Hm, fair play, if it's anything like that then that's a lot more substantial than I would have imagined, considering the Pro isn't exactly a beast.

Fair play to Capcom (but also sucks for regular owners, I guess...)

I was playing on a friend's console and I just have a regular with no PSVR so I will be picking it up on PC to play through I think. A shame because the VR is quite fun.

Arklite

Just to clarify, the beginning outdoor sunlit area doesn't look good anywhere. It's got some bad shadows, low res ground textures, blatant 2d foliage, and overall out of focus feel, even on PC with high settings at 1440p. Seems to be the engine's worst area.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Hm, fair play, if it's anything like that then that's a lot more substantial than I would have imagined, considering the Pro isn't exactly a beast.

Fair play to Capcom (but also sucks for regular owners, I guess...)

I was playing on a friend's console and I just have a regular with no PSVR so I will be picking it up on PC to play through I think. A shame because the VR is quite fun.

The pro is double the power of the PS4. I don't see how it wouldn't translate to a substantial improvement.

This is the psvr killer app. Play it on pro if possible because the iq is so much clearer and a couple of scenes look like life. Capcom killed it

Kurdel

Banned
Percormance and gameplay is awesome, there are some horribly distracting low quality assets everywhere though.

Even with a Pro, I was left yearning for a PS5 so I can have the graphics from the normal version of the game in VR.

Here's our first vr video for it:

https://youtu.be/pSgN5uXKgB0

It's a bit good!

In VR it doesn't look half as good as that.

The textures of the lawnmower and windows in the crawl space were legit PS2 level graphics, and that video doesn't mention that fact at all.

chris121580

I usually have no problems with scary games and get through them fine. With this though, it's absolutely terrifying in VR and I'm loving every minute of it. I've never had such a sense of dread while playing a horror game. It is hard just to go from room to room because you have no idea what's waiting for you and it really does feel like you're there. I truly believe this game is a reason to own PSVR

Jackpot

Banned
So when camera control is taken away from you it fades to black instead, or am I misinterpreting that?

Mixed reality vids, stat.

jsnepo

For some reason the full game doesn't look as good as the demo in VR. I'm using a PS4 series 12. This is even noticeable in the kitchen when you check the fridge. In the demo, you can see the maggots clearly while in the full game, it's there but not as sharp. The flashlight is too bright too in the full game and some color issues.

valeu

i'm playing vr-only on a first gen ps4, about an hour and a half in on max settings (by max settings i mean as smooth and fast turning / looking as possible like a normal first person game). i have zero motion sickness issues. a friend came and played last night but he was too scared in vr, so i got to watch him play 25 minutes in non-vr, before he got too scared again and quit. graphically, the game looked better in non-vr, but man, watching the game on a tv screen VS being "in" the game in vr, there is no comparison imo. in vr i lose sense of reality and feel like i'm in a waking nightmare that i'm in control of. i feel like i'm really in that house, searching for answers, physically peeking around corners, my heartbeat racing for real as i'm being chased. i'm not sure if the non-sick vr settings change the immersion because i haven't tried them, but as other vr gamers will tell you in the psvr thread, some people have motion sickness issues at first and you sort of have to build up to playing the more motion intensive vr games, like getting your "sea legs", or getting used to riding intense roller coasters

It's been really great, played on full speed camera and walk speed with smooth crouch. No nausea issues. But i guess it has to be noted that i do not get sick in Driveclub VR either.

The smooth and accurate aiming of the weapons and peeking around corners and items alone makes it the superior version. Been having a lot of fun just watching my back and leaning in to inspect items.

Jumpscares are scary but beyond that you get used to the games tricks and only the camera transitions are sometimes jarring as you are not exactly looking at what the game wants you to look at. But i can get it from a technical standpoint.

Highly recommended.

Gold_Loot

Playing on the Pro, and besides the first wooded area, the game is beautiful.

VR really just enhances everything. Small things I would have just scoffed at in 2D , are amplified in such way that it's really hard to explain to someone who hasn't tried VR.

... For me, it's been great.

I have to agree that the foliage outside looks awful in VR with the Pro. Kept wiping my lenses since I thought they were smudged. Once you get in the house it looks pretty great.

phant0m

Playing on a Pro. Outside looks bad, but inside is totally fine. I use the smooth movement with the FOV filter off, no issues with sickness. I do have it at the slowest turn speed though, otherwise I can't see a damn thing (too blurry).

Immersion is phenomenal, hiding from enemies is at a whole new level thanks to the ability to physically lean and look around corners and objects.

carlsojo

I'm a few hours in. Getting PSVR just for RE7 has been worth it for me so far. Amazing and immersive. Hearing a strange noise and whipping my head around looking all over for the source. When you get murdered there are some really, really, really good animations.
Jack catching me and breaking my neck.
There was one gameplay moment in particular that I won't spoil that's probably great on its own but the VR made it the fucking coolest thing ever.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The demo itself seemed to be the most polished VR game I've played but, holy shit, I could not hang. I had no idea I was such a wimp. The feeling is too damn real and creepy. I basically noped out before anything happened.

Congratulations, Capcom. Your shit's too good and you lost yourself a customer.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Playing on a Pro and I absolutely love it. So many segments seem like they were never intended to be played outside of VR.

Schlomo

I played for about an hour. Immersion is awesome, and I didn't feel any VR sickness at all (for comparison, Here They Lie demo and Rigs makes me nauseous after some time). It's pretty easy to look past the downgraded textures (PS Pro).

I screamed out loud when
Mia jumps out at you in the demo area hallway
, but it's not really "OMG scary" for me so far.

Only thing I didn't like so far is how it sometimes cuts to a "cinema screen" 2D display for some short scenes.

King_Moc

Banned
Best VR game I've played, hands down. There's plenty of comfort options too, to get it working right. I have turning set to 30 degree increments, as standard turning makes me dizzy.

It also looks a lot better than any other VR games I've played. I'm on a pro, but blur seems reduced compared to other games. Still a lot of aliasing though (playing on a pro).

The sense of presence is great (the inside of the trailer, in particular, looks incredible), I nearly tried to put my feet up on a table at one point. Though at the halfway point I have to say it's not as scary as I thought it would be. But it is still scary.

Top Bottom