• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Military' convoy with Trump flag rolls through Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying a large "Trump" flag, a mysterious convoy of military vehicles rolled down Interstate 65 through Louisville on Sunday morning. But nobody is claiming it.
A spokesman for Ft. Knox, Patrick Hodges, said it wasn't theirs.

Same for the Kentucky National Guard, said Maj. Stephen Martin, director of public affairs.

A Defense Department spokesman, Maj. Jamie Davis, who examined images of the four-truck procession for the Courier-Journal, said he doesn't think it belonged to any service branch — and that the vehicles may have been military surplus.

Davis said it would violate regulations to fly such a flag on a military vehicle. “That is not standard procedure,” he said. He also said it would have been against the rules to run a military convoy without unit markings on the trucks.

Some more at the link, but thought this pretty much covered the relevant details for discussion.

Source Article: http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ary-convoy-trump-flag-rolls-through/97255844/

Raw footage: http://indivisibleky.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/So-this-just-happened.mp4

I'm inclined to agree that these are privately-owned army surplus vehicles, but fuck me if it isn't more than a little unnerving seeing four of these big monsters with a Trump campaign flag at the head driving through my city. The venn diagram of "die-hard Trump fans" and "military hardware owners/enthusiasts" is not exactly confidence inspiring.

Im more than used to military convoys, Louisville IS right by Fort Knox, but flying Trump logo flags? Really hoping my old Kentucky home doesn't have a "patriot" problem right in its backyard.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
These people knew what they were doing when they voted. I can't look anybody in the eyes anymore knowing that a significant majority of my state willingly voted to piss on the sacrifices of every WW2 vet and install a fascist dictatorship in America.

I'm in TN, so this is kind of like my backyard. I mean, it could just be military surplus vehicles, but we're in the midst of a political coup, so...I don't know. I'm going to wait before panicking right now, but if these start popping up in other places this could be the beginning of the country being taken by force.

Lemaitre

Banned
Sooooooooooo

If it comes to civil war, how is Cali looking on mobilizing their own force to combat our military? Will there be defections? Will the air force man up and protect the people?

Half joking but half of me is like.....bru.

Edit:
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

BlackJet

Nothing is more patriotic than intimidating your own countrymen because they're unhappy with their leaders.

Fucking hypocrites.

Strike

Remember when conservatives were afraid that these sort of things would happen during the Obama administration? Good times.

Sooooooooooo

If it comes to civil war, how is Cali looking on mobilizing their own force to combat our military? Will there be defections? Will the air force man up and protect the people?

Half joking but half of me is like.....bru.

The national military can easily roll over any local militia from any of the states. Unless there's massive divides in the military, it would be one-sided as hell.

UberTag

I wonder if there are armed militia units just waiting to be sprung from all corners of the country when they receive the go-ahead.
Perhaps Bannon has already built his army and we're not even aware of it.

faisal233

Man, its probably some dumass national guard unit being a dumbass national guard unit. Or people with mil surplus. Humvees are pretty useless.

Be safe, OP. That shit is very unnerving.

I'm actually in kind of a precarious position anyway, as an employee for local news (not the paper linked, I'm in broadcast news). So I'm already at peace with working in a career that the president is actively demonizing.

But between Governor Matt Bevin and Buttfuck County Clerk Kim Davis, the state has made a pretty active effort to broadcast that this is a safe place for batshit insanity. The last thing I want is a group like the Oathkeepers setting up in my backyard. Really hoping these people were just passing through... I-65 is a major interstate, and they clearly weren't familiar with Louisville if they got stuck in the lanes going from 65 to the Watterson (at the near expense of other drivers close by). But even if they were just passing through, the thought that Trump's victory may have emboldened the Waco types is not pleasant to acknowledge.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Probably just militia types with too much money doing what they do.

At worst bored national guard soldiers doing dumb shit.

Ac30

I wonder if there are armed militia units just waiting to be sprung from all corners of the country when they receive the go-ahead.

If Breitbart posted a call to arms there'd be muders alright.

Oh my God.

Tell me a military coup isn't happening.

Probably not. I mean, if it were, starting in Louisville is...uh..yeah? But if we see more reports of this happening, of vehicles like this popping up...we need to be ready to assume the worse. But wait until then, let's not panic about that yet. Let's just assume it's a bunch of good Southern boys with a little too much money in their pocket being idiots

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Those trucks have what appears to be serial numbers on the back. Should be easy to figure out.

m60jkc8.jpg

It's not. Threads like this do nothing but ramp up the paranoia.

I posted quotes from the article in the OP explaining they were probably privately owned military surplus vehicles, not some shadowy army deployment.

But I'm sure you'd be comfortable with these wannabe PMC types setting up a little compound in your backyard and waving Trump flags around. I'm not.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The number corresponds to some GPS coordinates in Texas. No idea if it's related.

GPS 32.49555,-94.77575

Also zip code in Texas 77575.

So seems like some generic number relating to Texas.

Biske

I'd be willing to bet there is a less scary explanation for this.

BUT I think the way things are looking, Americans are probably going to have their dreamy idea of the worlds most perfect and stable democracy, shattered pretty hard. You don't put Steve Bannon and Donald Trump in charge and expect things to go well.

Shadybiz

Dumbass militia was my guess, yeah. I just hope that they're not the very special kind of stupid that might feel that they have to take it upon themselves to "protect" the area from "Moozlim turrists."

Kill3r7

I mean there is video. The thread isn't ramping up anything. The actions on the video are.

Dude I saw the video and read the article. A group of unidentified military vehicles were driving around with a Trump flag. The local paper covered the story. We have a thread from the OP and many concerned posts from folks who are rightfully perturbed by what has happened over the last 10 days. The poster I was responding to was talking about a coup. At this rate we are all going to lose our minds before these 4 years are up.

RCSI

Yep. As unnerving as it is, it just adds onto heightened stress this past week. Militia with Army surplus is more than likely than anything sinister.

So that money I was saving up for repainting my car would be better served buying guns? gotcha.

Fuck this shit. it's time to arm up.

FyreWulff

There are. There's pretty much a white supremacist army standing in waiting for when they think they can get away with popping off, that's what's most of those wackadoodle militias are.

Yep. As unnerving as it is, it just adds onto heightened stress this past week. Militia with Army surplus is more than likely than anything sinister.

Yeah... I don't like the police having army surplus vehicles, much less random militia types. And the LMPD is a fantastic police force! Still don't want them driving hummers around. They have very little utility stateside outside of projecting an image of military power. So you'll forgive me if I'm nore than a little uncomfortable with the imagery and the idea of what kind of message the owners of these vehicles are trying to convey.

It's convey moving soldiers to another base but some idiot put up a Trump flag (almost positive you can't even put the US flag on conveys while on US soil).

Kite

post from reddit: looks like they belong to the.. Navy?

I am confident those are not surplus vehicles based on the antennas and registration numbers.
"Eggbeater" SATCOM antennas
HF (Short wave Radio) and VHF antennas
Valid US Navy Registration Numbers
Lack of State Licence plates
In particular all four of the vehicles exhibit "eggbeater" SATCOM antennas which would at best have been removed before decommissioning those vehicles. Considering those SATCOM systems are quite sensitive and run exclusively by the DOD I simply cannot imagine any civilian use for them. In addition all the HF antennas on each vehicle would require licensing to operate. These vehicles are simply to well equipped to be civilian owned.
Here are the registration numbers: 1st Vehicle: 94-77575 2nd Vehicle: 94-80490 3rd Vehicle: No markings 4'th Vehicle: 94-77571 5'th Vehicle: Not filmed (only visible in side mirror)
Those marking correspond to a standard US Navy 94xxxxx registration number scheme for Truck, Light (up to 10,000 LB. GVW). See page 65 of NAVFAC P-300 MANAGEMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING SUPPORT EQUIPMENT
Video Source
Here I have highlighted the SATCOM and HF antennas.
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5r4seu/mystery_convoy_of_military_vehicles_flying_trump/
I'm waiting on r/military to weight in

Standard Military vehicles usually have the call signs of the unit on the back, and I don't see anything there.

I doubt it's government owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom