• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police expect Trump to lift limits on surplus military gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

Thankfully the second amendment allows us to keep up our own personal arsenal to attempt to combat the federally funded arsenal the military and police are receiving. I mean, that's why they made the second amendment, right? So we could fight back against a tyranical force?

I'm sure we will be able to keep up with those forces.

The only winners here seem to be weapons manufacturers.

I still can't get over rural cops needing high powered rifles and tanks.

Yeah I get it meth sucks and sometimes junkies have guns but you don't need the fucking army to burst bubba in his cook shack.

eWuVrBz.jpg

They're not preparing for a race war guys. Geez. Have some perspective.

They're preparing for the riots that happen after Trump throws all the Muslims into camps after the next terror attack.

Are there police unions and lobby groups that oppose this kind of militarisation of the police?

I mean, it's not because you are a police officer, that you by definition want to use grenade launchers. But going by reports, it's as if all police representatives are perfectly on line with the stereotype we have of law enforcement.

Matt

I can imagine some situations where some of this equipment might be needed.

For those situations, that's why we have the National Guard and the FBI.

benjipwns

Banned
Are there police unions and lobby groups that oppose this kind of militarisation of the police?

I mean, it's not because you are a police officer, that you by definition want to use grenade launchers. But going by reports, it's as if all police representatives are perfectly on line with the stereotype we have of law enforcement.
LEAP's primary stance is against the drug war, but this brings them into often opposing much of militarization/brutality. That said, it's not their focus so they can side with police over "civilians" at times. Unfortunately they're about the only police organization against any of these abuses that I'm aware of.

There are smaller local groups in various cities though.

ChryZ

Makes perfect sense, militarized police is the corner stone of every fascist regime. How else can you protect privileges, maintain "law and order". The top 3%, soon to be top 0.5%, want to be safe too.

Why would a police need a 50.cal ? they intend to snipe people from 1.5 km away?

A police force that roll in on armoured truck is sending a message that "we are not one of you" distancing further from the communities

Which is of course why they need the biggest guns they can get, to stay safe!

That's the part that jumped out at me. Believing Trump is a bad idea. He's already said he's not gonna put Clinton in jail, among other things he promised during the campaign.

Dude said whatever he thought people wanted to hear just to get their votes.

Which is comforting until you remember the whole republican party are nutbags and Trump will not give a fuck.

"You want to give the police rocket launchers? Sure, what the fuck do I care? Just don't let the gay ones have them or Pence will be bitching and moaning at me again."

Khoryos

I believe the British Army still sometimes fix bayonets to clear compounds and enemy positions; the reasoning being that if you did run into someone, you'd be better off having sharp steel than nothing at all. It's certainly not common though.

From Afghanistan a while back:

The British Army have performed bayonet charges in the Falklands, Iraq, and Afghanistan, each time with great success. It's still a valid tactic.

ETA: I'm actually okay with grenade launcher sales, though - they can fire anything, including tear-gas and bean bags.

RPGCrazied

Disgusting, and if you remember that protest the cops there were actually pointing guns at the protestors.

This will calm waters for sure! /s Trump is such a moron, all he is doing is making shit worse.

Johndoey

Banned
It's like a spoiled child shouting how they want more toys to play with. Expect these toys are military equipment. What a time to be alive.

Wilsongt

If police are going to be armed like the military, might as well make them act like the military if a war actually breaks out in the next few years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom