• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to lift Obama restrictions on Military Weapons/Vehicles for Police

Well that's generally the point, lol.

Really it breaks down to this:

Is the President your preferred party dealing with a hostile congress, then s/he should hold the party line and veto everything.

Is the House and Senate your preferred party dealing with a hostile President, then they should obstruct the Presidency at every turn.

Of course the problem is that both of these are generally true at the same time for both parties. In that situation the answer's simple, your side's the right one the other one's ignoring the will of the people.
Well one side is objectively the right one unless you're anti-science and anti-civil rights yes.

theWB27

Well that's generally the point, lol.

Really it breaks down to this:

Is the President your preferred party dealing with a hostile congress, then s/he should hold the party line and veto everything.

Is the House and Senate your preferred party dealing with a hostile President, then they should obstruct the Presidency at every turn.

Of course the problem is is that both of these are generally true at the same time for both parties. In that situation the answer's simple, your side's the right one the other one's ignoring the will of the people.

Except it's not...because one party had the power to obstruct and currently the other party doesn't. Regardless of that there is one party who's sole aim is to obstruct instead of govern. Exacerbated by the fact that the party who does nothing but obstruct can't govern when it's all on them.

Not to mention the dems are always bashed for reaching across the aisle and not going the lengths the GOP do.

Really the point is you'd hope the GOP supporters would take the time out their us against them mentality and support the fact that some things don't benefit any of us. I expect this same crap when it comes to net neutrality.

Well one side is objectively the right one unless you're anti-science and anti-civil rights yes.

And this..

GiQfTqe.jpg

Look how outgunned they are right now.

That's some Mad Max shit right there

RPGCrazied

Military style police, oh what can go wrong. Do these people not remember Furgeson? Trump trying to be more awful then Kim from North Korea.

FyreWulff

Fuck.

And we can't depend on Congress to stop this with a law because it lets them stuff pork via the military and building more vehicles than they need, so the military just started sending the extra stuff to police. It lets them 'disappear' vehicles so that Congress can order more built.

Occam

Someone needs to inform Trump that Obama did *not* commit suicide in office. Obviously he'll want to do the opposite.

mAcOdIn

Except it's not...because one party had the power to obstruct and currently the other party doesn't. Regardless of that there is one party who's sole aim is to obstruct instead of govern. Exacerbated by the fact that the party who does nothing but obstruct can't govern when it's all on them.

Not to mention the dems are always bashed for reaching across the aisle and not going the lengths the GOP do.

Really the point is you'd hope the GOP supporters would take the time out their us against them mentality and support the fact that some things don't benefit any of us. I expect this same crap when it comes to net neutrality.
There is an unfair double standard regarding the Democrats being held to a higher standard than the Republicans are when it comes to reaching across the aisle. I agree.

That said it is basically what I said. Both sides think they're right and both sides want their side to hamper the other's agenda. That includes me, I want the Democrats to fight Trump tooth and nail frankly. Of course I'd be happy if both parties could come to a compromise on things to move forward but generally with the caveat that the Republicans move left on that hypothetical issue as opposed to the Democrats moving right, and I'm sure my conservative counterparts feel the same just in reverse.

Now, recognizing this isn't attributing right or wrong to either party it just what it is, being objectively right on most of the matters is somewhat irrelevant. Like, of course our Supreme Court seat was stolen from us, of course the Republicans would cry foul if we had done the same to them but of course we'd probably be happy if we do the same to Trump in the future(if it were possible).

I don't really know how this gets better, our electoral system kinda damns us in this regard now. You have land versus people essentially, either a majority of the population imposing their will on a majority of the land or a majority of the land imposing their will on the majority of the people.

I do find this somewhat fascinating now though with Trump's approval rating being what it is. If it were closer to 50/50 it'd be one thing but below 40% and no real huge disaster(Harvey excluded since it's not in the numbers yet) if his numbers hover around this area for the rest of his Presidency or even fall further it seems rather fascist to tell over 60% of the population to shut the fuck up and fall in line behind their man.

The general idea of essentially running to undue another's "legacy" is rather disgusting to me. I don't think you can really govern a country effectively when there's that much political instability and laws and policies have a 4 to 8 year shelf life. However, despite Trump undoing much of Obama's shit he can't actually touch Obama's legacy. All of Trump's "wins" besides the Supreme Court seat will likely be just as short lived as Obama's, Obama will always be credited with doing them first regardless if it's a later Presidents EO or a later law passed by Congress that sticks. Trump will forever be seen as a response to Obama, and not a good one, which all but ensures that everything Obama did will also be well recorded and discussed in the future. Obama stands on his own, Trump would literally be nothing without Obama.

JCG

Unless the country is facing a civil war or a serious insurgency, police should not try to play military roles.

gaugebozo

I don't see what the big deal is. Having tacticool gear doesn't really make police more deadly or likely to engage in police brutality. If there's any argument against it, it's that it's a waste of money.

"...would roll back an Obama administration executive order that blocked armored vehicles, large-caliber weapons, ammunition and other heavy equipment..."

We're not just talking tacticool.

TheJLC

Yeah, after people saw what was happening in Ferguson and thought, "Why the fuck are police deploying heavy military equipment against civilians?"

zenXq0z.jpg

Thing is that nothing in that pic would fall under the Obama restrictions as that's all equipment made and sold to the public and LEOs. What Obama restricted was tracked armored vehicles, heavy sniper rifles (such as 50 cal), grenade launches, and riot gear.

Anyone (non-military) can buy the AR-15s in that pic, the body armor, the helmets, the police patches, and even the armored vehicle. If you have the money, you can buy your own armored limo, armored suv, etc... The armored vehicle in the pic is built specifically for Police as it is too weak and slow to ever be military.

Trump is getting more and more dangerous .
His response to the nazi events , the transgender military thing , the pardon of that Sherrif, the militaraizarion of police -all in one week it seems .

He's not holding back anymore .

It's not even a joke at this point that he's just doing the literal opposite of whatever Obama would do, like I really believe that's his thought process. He hates the man so much that he became president just to spite him.

Trump is getting more and more dangerous .
His response to the nazi events , the transgender military thing , the pardon of that Sherrif, the militaraizarion of police -all in one week it seems .

He's not holding back anymore .

I think someone said it earlier, but I think we are on course to see trump basically saying "If defended "racist group" is racist, then I'm racist" at some point.

It's not even a joke at this point that he's just doing the literal opposite of whatever Obama would do, like I really believe that's his thought process. He hates the man so much that he became president just to spite him.
I honestly feel like the pee pee tape is more likely now than ever. Before, it was so odd and spiteful I found it hard to justify.

FyreWulff

I think he's changing things up but most of what he's doing is getting rid of EOs. The Dems played the spam EO game almost exclusively and now they're facing the consequences of it. EOs can easily be dismantled at any moment. That is why you work to get some form of consensus and get laws passed instead. Laws can still be taken down but it's not as easy as an EO.

You literally do not know what you are talking about.

L5Da4bN.jpg

Not only do Dems have lower average EO amount, Obama had the lowest of any modern president. The whole Obama executive order tyrant myth is an invention of far right media.

Beefy

So instead of a cop shooting a bruva with a hand gun etc it will be a cop driving a miltary vehicle over the bruva...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You literally do not know what you are talking about.

L5Da4bN.jpg

Not only do Dems have lower average EO amount, Obama had the lowest of any modern president. The whole Obama executive order tyrant myth is an invention of far right media.

You're trying to argue with someone who has zero interest in good faith discussion. It's been this way for as long as I've even noticed their posts, and i'm honestly surprised they're still allowed to post with the sheer amount of misinformation and not-so-subtle support of all of the horrific shit this administration has done they've been spewing. They have no value whatsoever.

StarVigil

Why do police even need military grade weaponry? Is something wrong with what they have now?
Policemen are envious of civials with automatic assault rifles /s

Im times of possible terror attacks policemen usually have more presence and military type gear to scare off possible threads. That's a common psychological tactic. The person might get cold feet after all. What's happening in the US tho is way and beyond anything reasonable. Two possible thoughts come to mind:
a) the US's perverse hard on for guns and b) military corporations having a tight grip on the government.
Sadly, I don't think anything will change in the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom