• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 19 Things Nintendo's President Told Us About Switch and More

Peltz

http://time.com/4662446/nintendo-president-switch-interview/

Some highlights:

We are not creating a successor to the 3DS right now. We are, however, still thinking of portable systems. We are thinking of ways that we will be able to continue bringing portable gaming systems out, so yes, we are thinking of different ways to continue the portable gaming business.

... Switch is not backward compatible ... with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. In some cases, games from past systems may be re-released for the Nintendo Switch system as either enhanced or original versions.

In terms of the applications available on Wii U, all of those are not necessarily transferred or installed. In principle, we think about which application needs to be improved or discontinued by looking at consumers' reactions. Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, for instance, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

...while Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Switch is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms.

What about virtual reality? Is the launch version of Switch powerful enough to support it?

The very simple answer is yes. We've said this before, and I feel like we're saying it a lot, but we are interested and doing research into this field. The question, of course, is "What is the best way to bring virtual reality to our customers as a form of entertainment?" Not just, "Hey, look! It's realistic!" or whatever, but what is the best way to use this technology to bring something fun to our consumer base? We are definitely looking at that.

Not sure about that last one. I want VR done right... not cheaply.

Mariolee

Interesting that the LAUNCH version can supposedly do VR. Would've thought a 1080p screen version of the console would come out first.

MouldyK

And in terms of the Internet browser, since all of our efforts have gone toward making Switch an amazing dedicated video game platform, it will not support it, at least at launch.

Welp!

shandy706

Well, VR wouldn't be hard.

You slide the screen into a Nintendo headset and detach two controllers that instantly work in VR allowing separate hand usage.

Interesting that the LAUNCH version can supposedly do VR. Would've thought a 1080p screen version of the console would come out first.

Well, the same could be said for Google Cardboard. A low cost phone can support it, but it's not going to be that great of an experience.

jonno394

expected but still extremely disappointing to here. This thing needs netflix and web browsing and the ability to be a semi-normal tablet if it's to seriously take off imo. As a gaming device I See it doing well, but expanding beyond core gamers and replacing peoples large tech of choice in their bags on the way to school/work is still a long way off.

Do many people use the web browser function in their consoles? Usually I never bother with those.
There are work arounds for viewing things like Twitch and YouTube via browser when dedicated apps are not available. It's a bit of a loss. Also handy for people who need to look up something on GameFAQs.

giphy.gif

maxcriden

That said, Switch is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems,

This almost says to me no VC. But that can't be....

(Edit: addressed in posts below, I agree this isn't what is meant by this statement, especially given the below quote)

In some cases, games from past systems may be re-released for the Nintendo Switch system as either enhanced or original versions.

A higher resolution would certainly make any VR better, but to lock people out just for having an earlier low resolution screen would be kind of a dick move.

Richie

Thinking about 3DS and Wii U, do you still believe in the two-screen approach? Will we see a direct successor to the 3DS?

We are not creating a successor to the 3DS right now. We are, however, still thinking of portable systems. We are thinking of ways that we will be able to continue bringing portable gaming systems out, so yes, we are thinking of different ways to continue the portable gaming business.

Further hints toward Switch Lite is always nice.

This almost says to me no VC. But that can't be....

Relax, there's this:

In some cases, games from past systems may be re-released for the Nintendo Switch system as either enhanced or original versions.

Do many people use the web browser function in their consoles? Usually I never bother with those.

I can see some people using browsers often on consoles to suspend a game and look something up. That's what my little brother did with the Wii U sometimes and that worked really well. I use the browser on my Vita to watch videos on like YouTube when I don't want to use my laptop or the laptop is charging. Browsing via the Wii U GamePad was something I did pretty often and it worked well even if the screen wasn't that good. Never really liked 3DS' web browser to use it for much.

The biggest issue is when you want to connect to free wifi but you have to log in through the browser. This was a problem for me on 3DS at launch. (Just wanted to play some Street Fighter IV online!)

routerbad

Banned
Well going by their track record when they make a VR game it'll probably be the best VR game ever made, so probably worth the wait.

I just love that from top to bottom that company is more focused on fun than anything else.

You can complain about a lot of things, you can nitpick and find faults, but you can also look at even the worst Nintendo system and find something incredibly fun there. Of course to stay in business they also need other things to convey value to customers, but I'm really happy that fun is their primary focus in hardware and game design.

maxcriden

You've said that your biggest worry about Amiibo is that buyers are collecting instead of using them in games. Have you figured out how to solve this?

As far as having people who are trying to collect Amiibo, it doesn't mean that we're going to be making a ton of Amiibo. With Switch and the Joy-Con, we do have an NFC [Near Field Communication wireless] reader. And so our goal, rather than producing mass amount of Amiibo for collectors, is to forge a better connection between gameplay and Amiibo itself.

Is the "quality of life" initiative still underway?

The development is continuing. Our challenge is to create a Nintendo product that will satisfy consumers.

Two more tidbits that stood out at me.

maxcriden

Further hints toward Switch Lite is always nice.

Relax, there's this:

Uhh, you should read it again. Or get some sleep. In no way shape or form is backwards compatibility = VC

They meant Wii U discs, 3DS cartridges and DS cartridges. VC is definitely coming.

Fair enough. Thanks all. I was hoping I was completely misreading. As I said, "that can't be," so I thought I must have been misunderstanding. :)

18-Volt

I think this has already been established, Switch will nothing but playing games. Kinda like pre-DS times. Big gamble for Nintendo, I want to see what this "for a game console only thing matters is the games" philosophy work out for Nintendo.

holy shit it doesn't even have a basic web browser?? lmao

ok, but that support for other controllers has me optimistic at least. wii u pro controller compatibility in the future would be sweet.

Usobuko

Banned

I used web browser on 3ds. Clocked 18+ hrs iirc.

And I have Xperia Z3 smartphone.

It's because I'm lazy to charge when my phone's dead and even lazier to go to my PC. So I stayed in bed and surf the net for 5-10 mins.

Lylo

expected but still extremely disappointing to here. This thing needs netflix and web browsing and the ability to be a semi-normal tablet if it's to seriously take off imo. As a gaming device I See it doing well, but expanding beyond core gamers and replacing peoples large tech of choice in their bags on the way to school/work is still a long way off.

I don't know, Nintendo could have shown cutting edge technology with the Switch and i would still have my cellphone in my pocket. I think Nintendo have the right approach this time, they are integrating a lot of the system funcionality into mobile phones, but will keep its core feature to the Switch, which is provide an amazing gaming experience on the go and also at home on the big screen.

jonno394

I don't know, Nintendo could have shown cutting edge technology with the Switch and i would still have my cellphone in my pocket. I think Nintendo have the right approach this time, they are integrating a lot of the system funcionality into mobile phones, but will keep the core feature to the Switch, which is provide an amazing gaming experience on the go andalso at home on the big screen.

I was thinking more about it replacing peoples tablets that they use on the way to work. They want people to take this thing on the go, gaming on the go is great but the ability to game AND watch netflix or browse the net (either through free wi-fi or tethering to your mobile) is even better.

I don't quite see people carrying a mobile phone, a tablet and the switch with them to school or work. 2 of those maybe, just not all 3. (admittedly most of my web brosing is done on my 5.5 inch screen phone and I don't watch netflix on the go, so maybe i'm talking out of my bottom!)

Neoweee

I used web browser on 3ds. Clocked 18+ hrs iirc.

And I have Xperia Z3 smartphone.

It's because I'm lazy to charge when my phone's dead and even lazier to go to my PC. So I stayed in bed and surf the net for 5-10 mins.

3DS is also the only system I've ever used the browser on.

... solely to hack in homebrew.

I think it's pretty obvious that they are keeping the browser out until they can be sure that no one can hack the system with it.

It's how the 3DS is getting broken.

Actually will they have a Youtube App?
Thats the main thing id use i was kind of depressed when vita app was shutdown since i used it alot.

Top Bottom