• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will not have an Internet browser (at least at launch)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From this interview:

http://time.com/4662446/nintendo-president-switch-interview/

And in terms of the Internet browser, since all of our efforts have gone toward making Switch an amazing dedicated video game platform, it will not support it, at least at launch.

Edit: there is already a thread about the full interview here. I decided to make a thread about this because these is new info about Switch and the OP in that thread has no reference to this info.

deoee

Nice software Nintendo :)

I love the downplays across all the news threads...

No voice - "Oh well, I'll just download the app for 2€, I have my phone with me all the time!"
No Video apps - "I have a shit ton of devices for that already! I'll use the Switch only for gaming!"
No 3rd party yet - "I just want to play Nintendo games, Game x/y isn't important!"
No Browser - "eh, who cares?!"

Morat

Banned
robin_williams_what_year_is_it_jumanji.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At least it has an Eshop haha.

Some kind of eshop, yeah, they won't talk about it though.

Next, whether Nintendo eShop is fully supported and functioning for Switch at launch, we can confirm that it will be possible to purchase and play downloaded software at launch, but we are not sharing further details at this time.

nearly every person on earth has a smartphone, no? it's fine that the PS4 doesn't have a browser (I used the PS3 browser maybe once) and it's fine that the switch won't have one

I feel like there was already a huge thread about this a month ago. Certainly not surprising information.

nearly every person on earth has a smartphone, no? it's fine that the PS4 doesn't have a browser (I used the PS3 browser maybe once) and it's fine that the switch won't have one

The PS4 has had a browser since launch as far as I remember. Definitely has one now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
THIS is the thread that gets made about this interview? Man you guys have some crazy priorities.

That's too bad. Even if it's never going to replace an iPad, there's really no reason for a modern touchscreen device like this to not have a browser. Hell, I've even used the one on my 3DS a number of times to look up something about a game I'm playing. Hopefully they'll correct that in short order.

Evilmaus

I've never known anyone who really uses the browser on their consoles...

Not to say it's not shitty for those who do though.

Personally I don't mind at all.

YuShtink

Honestly, who needs a browser on their video game systems nowadays? Just a waste of time and resources, not like it's actually going to be a good browser anyway.

_h8bit

Banned
I'm of the opinion that just because you can implement something, doesn't mean you should. Browsing the internet on consoles that are currently out kinda sucks. That said, this is a tablet and is more of a natural fit for it. My guess for most things that they've decided to cut/leave out is that it comes down to battery life.

Not great but also not a big deal to me personally, I have plenty of other devices for multimedia purposes. I'll welcome the firmware update that includes this though.

cyba89

It would really help if Nintendo would communicate this kind of info through their official channels instead of having to browse through countless interviews (with sometimes contradicting information).

dottme

Honestly, who needs a browser on their video game systems nowadays? Just a waste of time and resources, not like it's actually going to be a good browser anyway.
That's my reaction. I'm never using any browser from any of my console.

EDarkness

The OS in this thing is barebones. It doesn't do anything but play games. Which isn't a bad thing. I think that's why most of us are buying one....

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Fine by me. Don't care if they never both with a browser, netflix, youtube, etc. I'm buying this to play games and games only. I have a phone, tablet and computer that all do that stuff far better.

Top Bottom