• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's ridiculous, frankly

the preeminent videogame discussion forum on the web shouldn't be encumbered with these problems

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
sp0rsk said:
It has been running really slow as of late.
o-rly.jpg

Triumph

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
What is the plan?

Only allow users to post 3 posts a day or something like that?

:p

It's a two parter:

1) Ban all Nintendo fanboys.

2) Delete the gaming forum and ban anyone who tries to start gaming discussion in the OT.

Simple, elegant, and effective.

Borci88

At night when it has its usual "Maintenance" it used to only go for around 15 minutes, now I find myself waiting for a good 25 minutes or so....... WTF is going on!?

Yes, i'm noticing it too.

Please make changes so this board so it can run smoothly.

1.) Ban all non-members who reads this forum: Gaming/Online/OT. They must be register members to access these forums. <<< (sorta like IGN board) i wasn't refering to must pay to access.

2.) Delete some older archives and cut down on crazy insane fast animated avatars that takes too much time loading in these threads.

3.) Delete junk threads that don't have enough replies within second day or thereafter.

White Man

Jade Knight 08 said:

1.) Ban all non-members who reads this forum: Gaming/Online/OT. They must be register members to access these forums. <<< (sorta like IGN board) i wasn't refering to must pay to access.

2.) Delete some older archives and cut down on crazy insane fast animated avatars that takes too much time loading in these threads.

3.) Delete junk threads that don't have enough replies within second day or thereafter.

1) Not happening.

2) Avatars have nothing to do with how fast the server loads. Their size does have to do with how fast the individual avatars load, but that's it.

3) Not really necessary. Any problems caused by the size of the db manifest themselves only when searching or bumping goes on. Unless the db is massively large, of course (and I don't believe it is).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jade Knight 08 said:

1. No

2. No, at the most we would just move the archives, not delete them. Irrelevant

3. No.

Nameless

I don't think we should close the board to non-members. GAF's popularity has really started to rise over the last years or so, and at any given time probably 60% of the people on this board are guest.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Nameless said:
I don't think we should close the board to non-members. GAF's popularity has really started to rise over the last years or so, and at any given time probably 60% of the people on this board are guest.

Plus gonintendo get's our news, and vice versa.
It's all good.
:)

xaosslug

Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
It's a two parter:

2) Delete the gaming forum and ban anyone who tries to start gaming discussion in the OT.

too bad, so sad that goes against GAF's UN Peace Treat enacted. :p

It's a two parter:

Good plan.

Jade Knight 08 said:

Stupid plan.

I say we start the revolution sooner rather then later.

Ecrofirt

This is probably going to get someone pissed at me, but I really don't give a shit.

I thought the censors and the ads on every page were here to keep the forum running fast. someone care to explain why the site has been running like shit recently?

Petrarca

Banned
I say we get rid of the avatars

1. they take up bandwith

2. they all look stupid, none of them are eye candy

3. they serve no damn purpose

White Man

Petrarca said:
I say we get rid of the avatars

1. they take up bandwith

2. they all look stupid, none of them are eye candy

3. they serve no damn purpose

1. No they don't.

2. - 3. Avatars are useful because I can fly down a page and stop when I see the avatar of a poster I like. Or hate. They are useful for identification.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ecrofirt said:
This is probably going to get someone pissed at me, but I really don't give a shit.

I thought the censors and the ads on every page were here to keep the forum running fast. someone care to explain why the site has been running like shit recently?

If unobtrusive banner ads bother you so much then feel free to leave and go to a magical fairy land forum that hits a 2000 user count during peak hours every day but doesn't need a significant revenue stream. Protip: it doesn't exist.

As for the performance problems, they're being looked into. Some optimizations were made recently to cut down on memory load and they may have backfired somehow. GAF doesn't run itself and we're aware of the problem. Don't underestimate how much fo a pain in the ass it is to run a forum when it hangs constantly.

Edit: Oh, and nice ********.com advertisement in your avatar, ecro. Laters.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
White Man said:
1. No they don't.

2. - 3. Avatars are useful because I can fly down a page and stop when I see the avatar of a poster I like. Or hate. They are useful for identification.

Do you like me?

Meier

Yeah, it's been pretty bad lately.. saw the message for max users yesterday and couldn't believe it. When I was able to load the forum again it said there were only 1600 people on.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
White Man said:
1. No they don't.

I agree with this, I don't identify people by their names, I identify them by their avatars

It's a two parter:

Well, I don't see any objections to this plan - DO IT!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's a two parter:

so beautiful.....so simple......so...........perfect. What are the admins waiting for?

Giard

Mods are complaining about removing avatars, but aren't saying anything about deleting the gaming forum and banning a lot of its populace :lol

Petrarca

Banned
it's getting WORSE by the hour

we gotta do something about this, or there will be GAF NO MORE!!!

I'll pitch in a buck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom