• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 15: PS4 Pro Patch - 60fps At Last?

Source (Video)

This isn't good. Final Fantasy 15's new PS4 Pro patch lets frame-rates go unlocked while in the 'lite' mode - but the game simply doesn't hit 60fps as promised by the patch notes. Instead, it runs between 30-50fps. John explains the problems with this approach.

If old let me marry Iris.
PLEASE!

koutoru

Weren't a lot of people here holding off buying FFXV because they were waiting for stable performance from this patch?

Glad I just played on the high res mode and didn't wait for this. Sucks SE let people think there would actually be 60 fps coming for so long only to deliver this.

Glomby

So is it even worth using this mode then? Like doesn't lite mode look significantly worse? I actually waited for the 60fps mode to make my final decision on wether or not to pick this game up but that sounds like it wouldn't be really enjoyable in this mode.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why? You're not in charge here.

Threads with the same topic are usually merged, who said i was in charge?

*EDIT*

um...well, i somehow mistook VG for DF somehow...i don't know how i did that.

I didn't realize they were different sources before looking closer.

My mistake everybody

Lol I feel dumb for waiting for this. I'm just gonna go ahead and complete my playthrough.

Having to choose between poor frame pacing and a widely variable framerate is pretty bullshit. At this point I'd accept a Lite mode with a locked 30fps.

Guess i'm glad I played on High back in November. Always kind of thought this would be a pipe dream, knowing what it takes CPU wise to get open world games running at 60 fps

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Seeing as I'm holding out for the framepacing in the HQ mode to be fixed before I play, it seems likely I'll end up playing this on PS5.

I'm going to need to hear glowing things about the next Final Fantasy game for me to buy another game in this series.

After the unfinished symphony that was XII, then XIII, and now XV, not to mention the mess the Kingdom Hearts series became, I'm done.

Necro900

Threads with the same topic are usually merged, who said i was in charge?

*EDIT*

um...well, i somehow mistook VG for DF somehow...i don't know how i did that.

I didn't realize they were different sources before looking closer.

My mistake everybody

Well you're not completely wrong, though. The test is the same, and the results are the same. It's like having ten different threads for "Nintendo switch announced", referencing each time a different news outlet.

Will we have a nxgamer thread too once that is ready ?
I'm starting to think we'll need "pc performance thread"-type threads for consoles too, since performance is continuously updated and tech analysis threads have been flooding pages lately.

Something along the lines of "Final fantasy 15 Console performance thread [UPDATED, 1.05: DF, NX, VGT]".

FHIZ

Oh wow, didn't realize they took away the locked 30 in lite. Tested Tomb Raider's unlocked mode in the Geothermal valley part and didn't like it, couldn't imagine playing FFXV that way. Glad I didn't do the "wait for the patch" thing others seemed to at least say they would do.

So, to sum up, it's better to play on a OG PS4 or even XONE?

Pro lite 1.04 I assume? But you can't do that obviously when you haven't got a patched copy yet, if you do you can just not download 1.05. I was waiting for this patch but I'm going to dive in now at 1.04. Tired of waiting for something that probably never is going to happen.

Ran rp

lol

It's getting 4K 30fps at launch. Also, action games are better with 60fps.

http://gematsu.com/2016/11/final-fa...mo-launches-november-11-japan-ps4-pro-details

"Square Enix also shared new details about the game’s planned PlayStation 4 Pro support. An update adding 4K and HDR support will be released alongside the game on November 29, but they want to release an update that has been optimized a bit more at a later date. They want to release another PlayStation 4 Pro update in December as well, which aims to implement support for 1080p at 60 frames per second on HDTVs. They’re currently at the tuning stage, but have it running roughly between 40 and 50 frames per second."

jsnepo

It feels like the more we get more sophisticated with tech, the more problems we start to notice. 10 years ago, I wouldn't know anything about frame pacing... no make it five years ago.

Caayn

Weren't a lot of people here holding off buying FFXV because they were waiting for stable performance from this patch?
I've been holding out on buying FFXV for a while. Was planning to re-evaluate my purchase when the "60fps" patch hit. But right now I'm looking at the possibility of the game receiving a Scorpio patch and just getting that version. If SE makes a Scorpio patch and doesn't introduce frame-pacing to the Xbox version.

After all those years I can wait a few more months

Nothing at all. It still kinda sucks.

dark, do you guys see this (frame pacing specifically) pre dominately happening in Japanese titles?

I feel like FFXV, Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc are the titles where we hear about these issues the most. Is there a reason for that?

Hey Tabata, I know you won't read this - but stop talking about how you want to add to the game that should have been finished long ago. Stop showing Journos what the game would look like on a monster PC rig. Stop feeding the fans more and more bull about more story for the game when most who have beaten the game won't even go back to it. Just get the game to run on the 4 and 1/2 teraflops you have available to use since the promise you made months ago, no bells and whistles, just run smoothly like you were supposed tpo be able to deliver...... TY

Vexii

This is actually kinda sickening to watch...

Digital Foundry needs to become an actual board of quality control, like how every game needs to be submitted to the ESRB/like authorities for rating before it can be sold at retail. Does your game run badly/is plagued with a host of errors and bugs? It should say that on the box at the point of sale. Just like the age rating.

Sick of having to sell janky, broken games and pretending that they're the next coming of Christ. That should fix boneheaded decisions such as these, to ship a patch that ruins your experience, or a game that should have been finalised and optimised months before hitting the shelves.

jackdoe

Did they actually optimize anything for the Lite mode? Or did they just remove the framerate cap and called it a day? I have a very strong suspicion that it's performing exactly the same as it did at launch, just without the framerate cap. Which means that they didn't need to wait three months to do this.

burgerdog

dark, do you guys see this (frame pacing specifically) pre dominately happening in Japanese titles?

I feel like FFXV, Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc are the titles where we hear about these issues the most. Is there a reason for that?

Gravity Rush 2 is perfect and is from a Japanese dev. It mostly seems like it's Japanese devs that are unable/don't care enough to fix it. Some of the western studios that shipped a game with FP issues fixed it with a patch.

Tagyhag

I knew it wasn't going to hit 60 almost all the time. They would just have to sacrifice too much of visuals and they weren't going to do that.

Kanann

This is actually kinda sickening to watch...

Digital Foundry needs to become an actual board of quality control, like how every game needs to be submitted to the ESRB/like authorities for rating before it can be sold at retail. Does your game run badly/is plagued with a host of errors and bugs? It should say that on the box at the point of sale. Just like the age rating.

Sick of having to sell janky, broken games and pretending that they're the next coming of Christ. That should fix boneheaded decisions such as these, to ship a patch that ruins your experience, or a game that should have been finalised and optimised months before hitting the shelves.

Most people wouldn't care.

Gravity Rush 2 is perfect and is from a Japanese dev. It mostly seems like it's Japanese devs that are unable/don't care enough to fix it. Some of the western studios that shipped a game with FP issues fixed it with a patch.

Yeah, Gravity Rush 2 is 30fps, but it is very smooth and consistent on Pro. (People, please pay attention to GR2, don't miss out!)

I'm going to need to hear glowing things about the next Final Fantasy game for me to buy another game in this series.

After the unfinished symphony that was XII, then XIII, and now XV, not to mention the mess the Kingdom Hearts series became, I'm done.

I think XV as a game is pretty great.

Top Bottom