• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 15: PS4 Pro Patch - 60fps At Last?

belvedere

Junior Butler
That's all very subjective. I'd rather have higher unstable framerate to a lower fixed framerate.

Your opinions are not facts.

Clearly you've missed my earlier comment, I actually agree with you and prefer the higher frame rates when they're consistent. I was simply speaking to the tone of DF's analysis video. They indicate that the framerate and jitter present drastically affect the presentation, to the point where its completely distracting.

I haven't played it yet myself to say one way or the other, but I can say that plenty of gaffers are saying that they prefer the experience now.

Poppyseed

Really love the update, but I've never understood why some people are so opposed to variable frame rates. It's obviously not ideal, but it's a damn sight better than a locked 30. The game feels much smoother at the higher frame rate now, having played through the game already and gotten used to 30FPS.

It's fine if you don't understand. I'd choose a locked 30fps with proper frame pacing over 59fps. That judder is so frustrating.

The difference between the opinions put out here is that I doubt many find 30fps+proper frame pacing unplayably distracting in a game. However, many of us find 30fps+frame pacing issues, or variable frame rates - VERY distracting.

These game devs need to be held to higher standards, and the fact that SE has't given us the option to keep the 30fps lock from the launch code is absolutely mind-numbing.

MCD

Is there any changes to X1 version? They said a while ago about fixing that terrible vaseline blurry image.

It's extremely bothersome to my eyes. Cannot stand the judder. It simply looks awful to me.

Frames persist on screen for varying lengths of time and I can clearly see it while playing. It just makes the game feel unpolished and janky to me.

The judder is so bad.

I was one waiting for the December patch. Even bought the game at launch since it was promised for December.
Caved in and played it in January since I had some days off.
Pretty bizarre that pre patch was actually the definitive edition and now it's gone.
The judder while moving the camera in the car is terrible especially since that's basically all you can do.
What took the two month delay? An "even lighter" mode at 900p while restoring the 1080p mode might be worth looking into, but the fact that a game announced 10 years ago for 2006 tech which was re announced for 2013 tech and released after 2016 tech has performance issues everywhere

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Disappointing result. Was hoping the delay was because they were figuring out how to address the frame pacing issue in the 4k mode so that there would be a proper 30fps mode with increased image quality and the uncapped mode for those who would prefer it. I actually like uncapped framerates in some cases (haven't personally tried this one) but getting rid of the most consistent mode is a bad decision.

What a mess...

They need to put out a locked 30fps Lite mode out, which I'm sure they will. Is it possible to reach locked 60fps on the PS4? Maybe by unlocking the resolution or something?

Doesn't Nioh have a 60fps mode that drops the resolution? Action mode I believe.

Vexii

Omg... Thelastword actually got banned.

~~

Reading his defense of this. Like wow
I'm assuming he was rather infamous in these parts?

In any case, the argument was really, really shaky at best. Definitely not the best way to win favours.

Alcahest

The problem isn't the new VFR 60fps mode, it's that it replaces the old stable 30fps one entirely.

What we should have gotten is:
- Lite stable 30
- Lite vfr 60
- High

Solely because 3 modes might be confusing to some users, they removed the old smooth Lite mode.
Fuck confused users, are we on PS4 PRO or what.

The big mistake IMO was replacing a perfectly fine and functional 30fps locked mode, if they can't hit a solid 60 it needs to be a 3rd option, not a replacement.

Weren't a lot of people here holding off buying FFXV because they were waiting for stable performance from this patch?

I bought it at launch, but I put off playing it for this patch. Now I think I'll just wait for the inevitable PC version... however long that takes. What a mess.

Xenoblade

SE lost a sale from me. If it had stable frame pacing at launch I would've bought it. Now I'll likely buy it used IF they fix the frame pacing in the future. If not, I simply won't play the game.

Xenoblade

The problem isn't the new VFR 60fps mode, it's that it replaces the old stable 30fps one entirely.

What we should have gotten is:
- Lite stable 30
- Lite vfr 60
- High

Solely because 3 modes might be confusing to some users, they removed the old smooth Lite mode.
Fuck confused users, are we on PS4 PRO or what.

It was never stable in lite mode. frame pacing fuckery everywhere.

antibolo

Banned
Who is saying this is a fact? The DF video even says some people will be more sensitive than others. Just as you can't just call it "gaf hyperbole" others can't just say "this game is unplayable." These are all just opinions.

Oh please. This thread is 95% hyperbole. Someone even got banned for having the hubris to criticize DF (gasp!).

Lite mode pre-1.05 patch didn't have framepacing issues outside of some cutscenes.

Yup, DF even said it was the best way to play the game.

Now with the unlocked frame rate it just feels weird. Like I don't mind the uncapped framerate but I find the option for the original lite mode more appealing. Having completed the game on the Lite mode I was hoping this patch would introduce frame pacing fixes for High Mode. Nope.

Hell If they want 60fps go the Nioh route and drop the resolution to a point where it can run without major dips.

Gitaroo

There are interviews with tabata coming also every other week, can someone bring this issue up to Tabata please. Like seriously, same with those hundreds of fromsoft interviews with Miyazaki. Not a single person ask him why does all this games have frame pacing issue and never been address. Sony should also start documenting this in your sdk with some options and correct approach to avoid future games with this issue.

There are interviews with tabata coming also every other week, can someone bring this issue up to Tabata please. Like seriously, same with those hundreds of fromsoft interviews with Miyazaki. Not a single person ask him why does all this games have frame pacing issue and never been address.

I've been reading video game forums for a long time and i've never even heard of frame pacing until Bloodborne came out. It's probably something that a very small % of their fans bring up so its not a high priority and it might not be easy to fix.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Was waiting to start this. But kind of interested in firing this up to see what people are up in arms about. bloodborne never bothered me

RedAssedApe

Banned
Weren't a lot of people here holding off buying FFXV because they were waiting for stable performance from this patch?

"A lot" by what metric? These type of games are all extremely front loaded. A few hundred gaf members (prob being generous here) not buying due to this isn't any different from a few hundred other ransoms waiting for a price drop.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"A lot" by what metric? These type of games are all extremely front loaded. A few hundred gaf members (prob being generous here) not buying due to this isn't any different from a few hundred other ransoms waiting for a price drop.

Or .. like in my case, already bought the game during a winter sale but held off on it because of all the 'fix chapter 13 DLC' shit they announced as well as hoping for a frame pacing patch for the HQ mode.

The former is coming next month, the later .. probably never .. but i'll make my peace with it and play the game once the chap 13 DLC releases.

Eusis

I'd probably be happy to roll with unlocked, but having the option WOULD be nice. I tend to want it locked if the hiccuping in performance is too severe and gets to me, as Witcher 3 on this PC was.

You would prefer a stable 30 than a game that drops to 30 from higher framerates on a regular basis. Infamous had this at launch and it was pretty annoying.

I preferred playing with unlocked framerate for Infamous SS.

I think it really depends on the game and the implementation of the unlocked framerate. God of War III on PS3 had unlocked framerate and I don't recall anyone complaining about it.

Bebpo

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I paused the download yesterday and thought I was safe because it would stay paused forever. I just turned on my PS4 and it INSTALLED THE PATCH. Arghhhhh, I'm only in the first area so now my playthrough is fucked :(

RedAssedApe

Banned
Or .. like in my case, already bought the game during a winter sale but held off on it because of all the 'fix chapter 13 DLC' shit they announced as well as hoping for a frame pacing patch for the HQ mode.

The former is coming next month, the later .. probably never .. but i'll make my peace with it and play the game once the chap 13 DLC releases.

don't get me wrong, i'm actually in your same boat. i bought the game at launch (luckily i got to take advantage of some price adjustments with bestbuy/gcu so i paid 32.99+tax) went on vacation in december for a few weeks so had a sizeable backlog of fall games.

thought i might have had a good window to finally play it between re7 and horizon...but then saw the news about 60fps patch and decided to wait lol

M_A_C

if they could just fix the judder on High I'd be happy. I was waiting for this patch to play but meh.

Caayn

XB1 and PS4 engine are different (PS4 can't run XB1 engine and vice versa)... just because your SDK create abstraction layer over it didn't change the binary engine is different for each platform.

PS4 engine didn't even use the DX12 XB1 API calls... it uses the own PS4 API calls.
I partly agree. However, for example, we've always referred to Unreal Engine 4 on PC, PS4, XB1, etc as the same engine despite the actual binaries being different for each platform. The core of an engine will be the same regardless of each platform.

ISee

Borrowed my brothers psn account to check on ff15. It's still downloading but I gave both the lite and the high mode a try in the close combat arena thingy. Both don't feel good (played each for about 10 minutes) but I have to admit: unlocked lite mode feels better than high mode with frame pacing.

I'm assuming he was rather infamous in these parts?

In any case, the argument was really, really shaky at best. Definitely not the best way to win favours.

Thelastword fought some petty personal wars against DigitalFoundry. Went into great lengths to criticize (to say it lightly) every single DF video. It was becoming very tedious.

Top Bottom