• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was brought up in the Microsoft Developers thread but i think this is a good question to ask. Is it really Xbox's Best Generation So Far?

Phil Spencer seems to think so after indirectly commenting on some comments made by jason schreier.

Jason's Comments

TDgVjKz.png

Phil's Response

hjgjyugygknsxc.jpg

Is this really xbox's best generation so far? I mean there has been some bright spots such as Backwards Compatibility and Forza Horizon 3 being good But is the lack of software over the past few years , cancelled games and the 1 step forward two steps back support for PC really that much better than what we saw with the 360?

foxbeldin

I think he talks about sales?

(and to be honest, i agree with him either way, the 360 gen was ruined by the kinect focus from 2010)

In terms of sales he's right. In terms of first party output he's delusional if he thinks that. But obviously he's not gonna say "yeah we've really shit the bed this gen"

Matush

If he is talking about sales, sure, it's better at this point in lifecycle than previous one, on games front? Not so much.

Soi-Fong

This is what happens when all you did was buy exclusives the previous generation instead of investing and starting up your own studios.

Bsigg12

Head of company claims his company is having a good generation after reading comments disparaging his brand. News at 8.

Well he is wrong but what can he say? He is not going to say yeah we are struggling. Weird he said they were weird comments though, I mean, they are true,,,,

Kill3r7

Hard to top 360's first couple of years or mid to late gen OG XBox when talking about games. I guess it depends on what you like but that was Xbox at its best.

TS-08

I'm an Xbox One owner, but Phil is wrong, and the comments he is responding to seem pretty fair to me. But he's just defending the brand he is in charge of, so it isn't really a big deal or surprising.

_Ryo_

Maybe in sales as in the Xbox One is selling more faster than the 360?

In terms of Software? That's completely delusional.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Sales wise, maybe but the Xbox 360 generation is absolutely better than XB1 when it comes to games. I don't think this is even in question, imo.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Last generation is Playstation's best generation -Kazuo Hirai
/s

ethomaz

Banned
PR talk.

This XB1 gen is nowhere close to 360 gen in software delivery and userbase.

360 was their peak.

I don't know, but I think someone who works at the company and can actually see all the relevant financial info would have a better idea of how Xbox is doing than random speculation. If it wasn't doing as well as he said he could just not acknowledge the comments. There's a lot of variables in judging performance that the general public isn't privy to.

Not Drake

It's tricky. Some franchises seem to be doing better that before (Forza). Same goes for Gold subscribers for sure. Other series are in decline, but are still strong (Gears, Halo). I also thought Xbox One tracked above 360 in sales for a long time after One's launch. Did that change?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All Phil Spencer does all day is telling vague statements and stupid marketing shit. Who cares, seriously? Should he say, yeah, we fucked up, Xbox 360 was much better?

_Clash_

It's blatant PR that doesn't acknowledge customers concerns.

I should be offended, but after Scalebound, just burn it all to the ground.

Wasn't the rhetoric that ps4 didn't have exclusives couple of years ago? And everyone was taunting Sony for not having anything?

MS has hit a slump with all their cancellations, not doubt. But I'm sure they'll catch up eventually.

EDIT: At the same time, you can't hate on Phil. He's doing really well with the mess he inherited.

Rezae

What's he supposed to say?

It's pretty obvious that 3 years into 360's gen, it was firing on all cylinders.

Well he ain't right.

Hes the head of xbox, what is he supposed to say?
A variant of this post has come up a few times. He wasn't supposed to say anything. It wasn't an interview question, he's just responding to Jason's tweets. None directed at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom