• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floody

I don't think it's even came close to the 1st half of the 360's life cycle, could easily beat it's 2nd half though. End strong and it can more than make up for a weak beginning, the PS3 is a textbook example of it.

Yaari

Well I can't think of many X1 titles that I am excited about in the near future so that's not very good. My Xbox Live has been expired for nearly a year now too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the first half of 360 i feel was their best 'gen'

Were really firing on all cylinders.

OG Xbox time period was also great for a new platform without an inbuilt advantage.

XB1 i feel is def the weakest link, goodbye!

Arklite

Their sales seem to be fine, but having less prominent first party output, aging and diminishing franchises, little luck with 3rd party deals, and losing their grip on their strongest markets all sure seem like a sketchy "best gen."

DBT85

I've never had an Xbox and I would have to say 360 was the best one, barring the kinect bollocks.

As for "what else could he say", he wasn't asked. EDIT: oh he was by someone else. Though again, I'm sure he gets asked alot every day and doesn't say anything.

In terms of sales he's right. In terms of first party output he's delusional if he thinks that. But obviously he's not gonna say "yeah we've really shit the bed this gen"

Are you talking hardware sales or "money made" sales?

SenkiDala

I love MS, but regarding games it's their worst gen, it's not even arguable... But as usual he's doing PR, so what else can he say? The truth, yes it would be nice.

Garlador

I mostly use my Xbox One these days to play 360 games...

BC is a godsend for the system, but it's also telling that most of the games I buy for it came out last gen.

I hope Scorpio pushes the industry forward again like the OGXB and 360 did. The 1 was the first time it failed to add something significant that the console space was lacking.

Zakalwe

Banned
I buy and sell my consoles as the climate of exclusive titles shifts. I've jumped between Xbox, Playstation, and even PC depending.

And this gen I've had very little interest in Xbox. Their exclusive titles have barely piqued my interest, and I'm saying this without a hint of fanboi.

I've got a few large jobs coming up soon and I'm considering investing some of the money into a proper home entertainment system, the Xbone isn't even part of the consideration currently.

I really hope they do something with the Scorpio launch that makes me take notice.

gogojira

"lol yeah we're kinda getting owned, hopefully we have better luck next gen or with scorpio or whatever"

It's a series of tweets by the man trying to right the wrongs of the Xbox division. I wouldn't read too much into it. You might as well add in his comments on multiplayer/solo games because that has as much substance as these tweets. Actually, that's wrong. I think that actually is worth talking about if Phil truly can't see why people want singleplayer games.

I'd say the Xbox division is pretty confused right now with what people want.

GHG

No Phil, just no. This is the worst, by quite some distance. The OG Xbox had unique titles and a unique online ecosystem, the 360 built on that and then captured the mainstream along with having exclusives that were groundbreaking at the time and set the tone for a whole generation.

This gen however...

If he really believes that then it's time to worry about the future of Xbox.

He really can't say otherwise, can he? Besides the RROD issue ( granted that's no small matter) IMO Xbox was very much on top of its game between 2006 and 2010. I'm actually trying to talk myself into a One just for the 4k playback, gaming-wise my PC has basically made owning one completely redundant ( and the few exclusives like sunset overdrive, halo 5, rare replay aren't making me run out to buy one).

danowat

Banned
He believes in his product, nothing wrong with that.

The gap between the XBO and PS4 is growing, especially when you take the pro into account, but maybe Scorpio will rectify this slightly.

To be honest, the PS4 is now my main platform, after having XBO as my lead platform since the beginning of the gen.

LeleSocho

Banned
It's not like he can say that Xbone sucks but in fact there is no competition between Sony and Microsoft this gen, Xbone was a clusterfuck since its inception and continues to be so.
Scorpio could be a turning point but it smells like "too little too late" especially if you don't have any software that isn't the usual yearly stuff to spice things up.

tl;dr PR person talks like a PR person.

NYR

Phil is a huge breath of fresh air at Microsoft who got very arrogant and forgot they were making a video game console, but he is 100% wrong on this and it comes off as marketing speak.

im_dany

No way, I kinda like my X1 but the 360 was something else, and it was probably the second most influental console ever made after the PSX.

Betty

Banned
Nah, Halo 3 alone makes the 360 better.

Gears being the breakthrough new franchise and multiplayer trendsetter didn't hurt none either.

Don't forget getting multiplatform titles that ran a little better than PS3.

Got damn, this didn't take long to pop up. I mean what else he is going to say? He says anything that doesn't come off as confident it's gonna get ripped and analyzed to death, vice versa. Ain't defending, but that's just the reality at this point.

Love Forza, but there is no way in hell this is the best XBOX generation. 360 blows it out of the water. Its OK to admit that, Phil. I'm sure Shuhei would say that the PS2 is GOAT, and PS4 is chasing it.

bennibop

Sorry he is delusional, 2017 has made Xbox One irrelevant. The amount of software that has launch on PS4 is going to tempt more people over as will the Switch.

jem0208

Nah, Halo 3 alone makes the 360 better.

Gears being the breakthrough new franchise and multiplayer trendsetter didn't hurt none either.

Don't forget getting multiplatform titles that ran a little better than PS3.
But Halo 5 is better than 3.

Cyborg

Its all about that feeling you have with a console,while a lot praised X360 (gamers, developers and media) X1 just hast have the same vibe

No matter what it does, it just had a bad start and lack of games (exclusieves) doesnt help. No matter what Phil is saying (maybe its true) but peope just dont care or dont believe because there is clearly a better option this gen (PS4/Pro)

shingi70

Banned
I like the games Microsoft has he this generation, like the Wii U it sorta reminds if the Dreamcast or Saturan. That said Im not sure if I can say if it's the best when it's missing first party entries in critical genres I enjoy.

Zia

It's the best. A well-oiled machine. We're doing all of the stuff and everyone I talk to loves Windows Store exclusives. Tremendous.

Is he? Hasn't x1 fallen behind 360 WW now? If not it will very soon.
Going by th leaked sales numbers from a month ago it's still outpacing the 360
I've never had an Xbox and I would have to say 360 was the best one, barring the kinect bollocks.

As for "what else could he say", he wasn't asked.

Are you talking hardware sales or "money made" sales?
Hardware sales. Software sales have to be way down

Coxy100

Banned
In this he is wrong. The 360 generation was amazing. There's no doubt Jason is right in that this is a 1 horse race for this gen.

Hope to see microsoft back stronger next gen...

What else do u want him to say give him a break. He's a salesman. You can't say otherwise in the moment of this being the flagship product.

Of course it's wrong but jesus people. Marketing image this is the only thing they have right now let them have it.

ethomaz

Banned
I think it might be for the worldwide sales in 2008.
The only change to XB1 ends ahead 360 in 2016 (comparing with the same period of 360) was if it ended UP YoY.

That didn't happened.

While close 360 is tracking ahead XB1 for some time and the situation will get even worst because 360 enters in its best years (2009-2011).

Going by th leaked sales numbers from a month ago it's still outpacing the 360
The estimated sales (or leak like you say) was below 360 at the same period.

gamz

Sorry he is delusional, 2017 has made Xbox One irrelevant. The amount of software that has launch on PS4 is going to tempt more people over as will the Switch.

Disagree. Xbox One S (2016) was a great comeback and Scorp in 2017.

I'm sure MS is doing a lot better from this gen as not only are sales better than the same point in 360s life cycle but remember the RROD issue cost MS millions.

from MS view this gen has been better for them than the 360.

maxcriden

I mean, for me Ori is the best XB brand game I've ever played. However, it's the only one that appeals to me from the XB1 offerings. I think the previous two XB systems did a better job at offering diverse gaming experiences, but perhaps third party offerings are skewing my perspective at least a bit also.

JP

It's certainly not a bad console for them and it has some really good games but it's leagues behind what they did with the 360, as far a I'm concerned.

dugdug

Banned
This is just making me remember how goddamn awesome the first few years of the 360 were. Glory days, I tell ya.

Wasn't the rhetoric that ps4 didn't have exclusives couple of years ago? And everyone was taunting Sony for not having anything?

MS has hit a slump with all their cancellations, not doubt. But I'm sure they'll catch up eventually.

EDIT: At the same time, you can't hate on Phil. He's doing really well with the mess he inherited.

He was part of the mess to begin with. Hell he was in charge of Microsoft first party studios during the years of Halo,Forza,Gears rotation.

Some Nobody

Well he ain't right.

A variant of this post has come up a few times. He wasn't supposed to say anything. It wasn't an interview question, he's just responding to Jason's tweets. None directed at him.

Exactly this. I'm not sure what it is about the internet that makes people think you always have to *say* something. It's alright sometimes if you're just silent.

This is just lying, either to others or yourself. Even XB fans have to admit the 360 was better times than the XB1. You had all the exclusive games, you had all the third-party titles, and all the sales. There's no comparison.

He's right, have you seen what happened to Nintendo yesterday... and what's going on with Sony recently? It's terrible, It's a mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom