• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
PRil Spencer says a lot of things, i told you so. Dun understand how some of you fall heads over heels about him.

Allard Moore >>> PRil

ironcreed

Banned
I love my Xbox One, but it is not as strong as the 360 on the software front. Hell, even the OG Xbox had exclusives to die for that actually made me prefer it over the mighty PS2. Sounds nuts, but the likes of Ninja Gaiden, KotOR, Morrowind, Otogi, Jade Empire, The Chronicles of Riddick, Halo. etc made it my preferred system.

Basically, Xbox right now has the best services and features, but is weak where it counts most. Namely, a strong and diversified library of exclusives, along with those new 'must have' titles like Bloodborne, Nioh, Nier and Horizon. I can't wait for Scorpio, I just hope that they are as aggressive with it as it's project name implies.

jaypah

It's weird. The launch of the XB1S gave the Xbox One very substantial momentum, which it appears to have lost just as quickly.

I haven't been paying attention to their sales lately but I still hear about the console and its games. Did something happen? Like did it stop selling or something?

scamander

Banned
Well what else could he say?

Nothing? He wasn't asked for his opinion on the matter. It probably would have been better to ignore those comments, since his response is laughable and everyone can see that. Is Phil aware of the Streisand effect?

What do you expect him to say? "We're getting our asses kicks and clearly have an inferior product."

I hate to thread whine, but I do really believe it's time for a Phil Spencer tweet thread. We seem to get one of these every single day and, in my opinion, there's rarely substance to what he says.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is a case of perception is reality on both sides. He perceives success is ultimately decided by sales and thus to him Xbox is having its best yet. From NeoGAF's view, Xbox is perceived as a failure despite strong sales because it has largely played second fiddle to PS4 in just about every category. Both sides are correct, honestly. In the end, if you own an Xbox and enjoy it with friends or alone and have no shortage of games to play, then it is serving its purpose and providing for its owners. If you love your PS4 for the same reason, then that is wonderful, too. But what else could he say here?

file.php

Head.spawn

Maybe he's a little too biased to be answering the question, unless he forgot how this gen started...

It's much closer than you think. Microsoft sold 28 million Xbox 360s by end of 2008. Xbox One sales are estimated to be around 26-28m.

Xbox One should be killing it given how much larger the Xbox userbase was in 2013 vis-a-vis 2005. Instead it's scarcely ahead - and may now have fallen behind.

In terms of earning money it may be the best... it doesn't have the Nvidia sink hole of OGXbox, there is no RROD tragedy going on and digital revenue is arty an all time high..

That's the only possible way i can think of this generation actually being better for them.

It's a bit thin on first and third party exclusives IMO, and that's my only angle i judge it at as a consumer.

Oshimai

This is yet another point that Phil is just a PR rep, not some exec who "cares about gamers".

In fact, this goes for both sides. Whether its Yoshida or Spencer, whenever they tweet, share a quote or do an interview, the goal is to ensure the brand looks good regardless of publically available information.

What do you expect him to say? "We're getting our asses kicks and clearly have an inferior product."

I had to thread whine, but I do really believe it's time for a Phil Spencer tweet thread. We seem to get one of these every single day and, in my opinion, there's rarely substance to what he says.

Nothing? Or say we will do better, have things planned? Nothing is better then what looks like a delusional stance.

Then it's not momentum, it's a temporary bump from x1 owners upgrading, people over reacted when X1 won a few months.
That's not accurate; I had very little interest in the Xbox One but the redesign + games like Forza Horizon 3 made me buy the One S. Can't imagine I'm the only one there.

I haven't been paying attention to their sales lately but I still hear about the console and its games. Did something happen? Like did it stop selling or something?
It's been very quiet games-wise, and anecdotally the One S has been heavily discounted in my region lately.

jobrro

I mean it has Sunset Overdrive as an exclusive...

2015-10-01-18_19_33.gif

but no.
Is there another exclusive left? I feel like no. Great game and worthwhile season pass though.

I had high hopes for Kinect 2 but they barely got Kinect 1 ports (Dance Central Spotlight as opposed to 4).

Everything else now seems like it is on PC or PS4.

MisterR

Phil's full of shit, that's kind of his job. He should have just sat this one out though. I'll never get the GAF hero worship and threads based on every tweet he makes.

That's not accurate; I had very little interest in the Xbox One but the redesign + games like Forza Horizon 3 made me buy the One S. Can't imagine I'm the only one there.

Ok, you personally is not relevant, things have not changed overall...X1 is getting outsold in US and everywhere WW, was down YOY, how was it a comeback?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Xbox Live and Xbox Gold and Xbox 360 BC all are superior to PSN, PSN Plus, and PS Now. So, he has that to fall back on I guess.

urge26

Don't disagree with him at all (plus he's the head of the Xbox division, what do you expect him to say). They lost this generation because they choose to skimp on the hardware specs and had a horrible launch where they failed to reach the core audience. But in terms of exclusives I think they've been fine when compared to Sony.

flkraven

Well, it's already better than the OG Xbox and I'm sure if given the same time as the 360 it could compete there too. Likewise, it's completely subjective and he's the head of Xbox so what in the heck is there to talk about lol.

Ok, you personally is not relevant, things have not changed overall...X1 is getting outsold in US and everywhere WW, was down YOY, how was it a comeback?
If you're citing tales from your ass reasons like 'it was only current Xbox One owners upgrading', I can certainly counter with personal experience.

Sephzilla

Right now I wouldn't say the XB1 is better than the 360. However if XB1 can pull off a strong second half of its lifespan and close out solidly, I think it might be a different discussion. The Xbox 360 really tailed off in terms of solid exclusives and marketability in the second half of its lifespan.

For the people who are saying "What else could he say?"

Why did he say anything in the first place? He shouldn't have commented because any comment he could actually make would make him seem delusional, dumb, or a liar.

Microsoft aren't going to allow him to say they aren't doing so well compared to last gen so he really should not have said anything at all.

Also he called Jason's comments weird when they are clearly unequivocally true.

'We came out of the gates a bit slower than we had hoped, but starting by addressing our fans request for backwards compatibility with our outstanding 360 catalogue, xbox anywhere titles, providing an outstanding value proposition for 4k media fans with the S model, and the pending release of the most powerful console ever in Scorpio, I am confident in the direction the Xbox brand is headed.'

If he felt obligated to say anything, some thing along those lines would have been fine without coming across as delusional.

This is yet another point that Phil is just a PR rep, not some exec who "cares about gamers".

In fact, this goes for both sides. Whether its Yoshida or Spencer, whenever they tweet, share a quote or do an interview, the goal is to ensure the brand looks good regardless of publically available information.

Pretty much. I never understood why people rally behind these corporate men.

Lol the only strange comments here is Phils. He just didn't need to say anything. Feels like he had to bite because it was getting to him. Dissecting his response; using the word "good" gen but not "great" gen. Yet is having it's "best" yet, but in regards to what? Sales? No. Critical reception? No. Exclusives? No. MAU's? Guess so. "S is strong since launch"; Well cool but the original comments weren't about sales, they were about content and great exclusives.

He really should have kept his mouth shut.

GHG

Gold Member
Oh my god some of the responses to that tweet...:

that's the bias in the games "media". Not "strange" comments, "uninformed, biased, & ignorant" comments.

These are big journalists though. They're supposed to be professional. They have influence.

I see Trump is capturing the hearts and minds of gamers as well.

If you're citing tales from your ass reasons like 'it was only current Xbox One owners upgrading', I can certainly counter with personal experience.

I never said only....reading helps. That was the main reason why it won a few months though and now we are back to normal.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's a shame since, pro aside, the Xbox is a much better console. BC alone adds so much.

BC aside and codecs of the media player aside, i can't say i really agree...XB1 started so far behind, they added a lot but that was just to make up ground

Kikorin

Sadly he's wrong. I bought X1 after the awesome 360 race, but at this time I regret to have not bought a PS4 instead.

Anyway they can always change the things in future, I hope for this E3.

In what way is this delusional? I get that you root for the other team, but let's cut the hyperbole, shall we?

I think saying this is Xbox's best gen software wise is delusional , and I am not alone looking at this thread, sorry that bothers you.

I actually agree with you. The Phil Spencer tweet thing has always been ridiculous IMO, but that's a different discussion.

Agree, executives should be using twitter sparringly, and mainly just to post news.

I like my Xbox One for Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and 3, and some Halo but he's wrong. I get that he has to say Xbox One is the best, that's his job, but 360 introduced Gears, had a great Fable game, Mass Effect and BioShock as timed exclusives.

Sony's first three months of the year annihilate Xbox into the grave alone. Yakuza, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Nioh, and Nier alone squash the One's entire lineup.

dugdug

Banned
It's weird. The launch of the XB1S gave the Xbox One very substantial momentum, which it appears to have lost just as quickly.

It almost makes me wonder if the PS4 2016 delays like Horizon, GT Sport, etc...were almost strategic. Let XB1s make it's initial splash and then just deflate it entirely once MS is done with their yearly holiday splurge.

I mean, I doubt that, but, it does feel like there's just no more hype for the XB brand at all this year outside of Scorpio which is a good long while from now.

Floody

I think this actually shows he isn't all that good at being a PR guy, so many better ways to handle it, from something simple as just saying "I'm happy with what we've delivered and look forward to revealing more" or better yet just not saying anything.
I think he just kinda cares too much and can't really help himself from "hitting" back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom