• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, do you see Kaz or anyone at Sony or Nintendo responding to console war stuff?*

Unless of course that fake Kaz account on Twitter really IS Kaz, which given that he mentioned it at CES makes it a 50/50 chance for me...
It's not like he's saying "SONY CAN SUCK IT!" So far he hasn't done anything that is equivalent to Ballmer laughing at the iPhone announcement.

ok but Double Agent, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, and Bioshock all came to PS3 eventually. I don't mean to harp on it but the poster said "a lot" and I just don't see it

now that you mention Splinter Cell I do wonder about Conviction though, did MS publish that?
I don't think they did. Strange that it never went to PS3. And to be fair, Mass Effect was literally console exclusive for an entire generation (just over 5 years) due to MS's publishing rights. Certainly not a regular timed exclusive like the rest.

icespide

Banned
I don't think they did. Strange that it never went to PS3. And to be fair, Mass Effect was literally console exclusive for an entire generation (just over 5 years) due to MS's publishing rights. Certainly not a regular timed exclusive like the rest.

I do wonder what the deal was with Conviction. fine I'll concede Mass Effect. I don't actually care that much just thought it was an interesting thought experiment

Vinc

ok but Double Agent, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, and Bioshock all came to PS3 eventually. I don't mean to harp on it but the poster said "a lot" and I just don't see it

now that you mention Splinter Cell I do wonder about Conviction though, did MS publish that?

Like I said, a lot of them were temporary, but most of them ended up coming out busted on PS3 or several years later. I think ME1 PS3 was only avaialble as part of the trilogy collection that came out like a year after Mass Effect 3!

icespide

Banned
Like I said, a lot of them were temporary, but most of them ended up coming out busted on PS3 or several years later. I think ME1 PS3 was only avaialble as part of the trilogy collection that came out like a year after Mass Effect 3!

the fact that they came out on PS3 means they don't meet that poster's criteria is my point, but nevertheless let's drop it. lists are bad

Kill3r7

Even as an armchair CEO I wouldn't know what to do with the XB1?

I've said before they should have put some money down to get ports of Japanese games, just for day and date with PS4 but I feel as though MS want some kind of exclusivity if they spend money.

I am not even sure that is worthwhile. MS have virtually no presence in Japan and their userbase does not care about JRPGs or most Japanese games. They have tried. I think they either need to create new studios or buy various studios that are not financially independent and rely on kickstarter to make games. The downside to that is that they need to accept that not every game will be a blockbuster but it is important to have a healthy and diverse library.

I do wonder what the deal was with Conviction. fine I'll concede Mass Effect. I don't actually care that much just thought it was an interesting thought experiment
Come to think of it, isn't there a Splinter Cell collection that is a PS3 exclusive? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the case. The series is randomly exclusive haha.

I am not even sure that is worthwhile. MS have virtually no presence in Japan and their userbase does not care about JRPGs or most Japanese games. They have tried. I think they either need to create new studios or buy various studios that are not financially independent and rely on kickstarter to make games. The downside to that is that they need to accept that not every game will be a blockbuster but it is important to have a healthy and diverse library.
The best solution would be to invest in bigger Japanese IPs than the lesser ones. It's limited but it's better than nothing. They have no presence in Japan so it's pointless to go all-in and gamble with every Japanese game.

Come to think of it, isn't there a Splinter Cell collection that is a PS3 exclusive? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the case. The series is randomly exclusive haha.
The Collection was exclusive to PS3. It's weird.

Like for real.

If we are being super fair, this generation kind of sucks all around. Lots of sucking to share and XBOX takes a pretty hard L.

I don't really agree at all. 3DS and PS4 have had a great variety of games. Wii U and Xbox One have had some great exclusives.

urge26

For those saying Phil is "wrong":

Phil: strange comments (annoyed by a respected journalist basically staring a fanboy war)

Phil: Xbox is having a good gen (which they are, didn't say best, didn't say great, like others have said the division is probably making more money than last gen, hence the good comment)

Phil: XB1S strong since launch (which they probably have been, the Black Friday and Holiday bundles were pretty fantastic and he's the one with the sales data)

Phil: Can always improve but proud of where we are (does that really need to be debated)

It's silly to debate.

Kill3r7

The best solution would be to invest in bigger Japanese IPs than the lesser ones. It's limited but it's better than nothing. They have no presence in Japan so it's pointless to go all-in and gamble with every Japanese game.

They are getting most AAA Japanese games that sell well in the West. Also, MS invested heavily on Japanese games last gen and the userbase soundly rejected them and this was on a more diverse and successful Xbox 360. They need more first party studios.

For those saying Phil is "wrong":

Phil: strange comments (annoyed by a respected journalist basically staring a fanboy war)

Phil: Xbox is having a good gen (which they are, didn't say best, didn't say great, like others have said the division is probably making more money than last gen, hence the good comment)

Phil: XB1S strong since launch (which they probably have been, the Black Friday and Holiday bundles were pretty fantastic and he's the one with the sales data)

Phil: Can always improve but proud of where we are (does that really need to be debated)

It's silly to debate.

Actually, he said "our best yet"

Look at the first post for the actual tweet.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I mean, do you see Kaz or anyone at Sony or Nintendo responding to console war stuff?*

Unless of course that fake Kaz account on Twitter really IS Kaz, which given that he mentioned it at CES makes it a 50/50 chance for me...
Console war is end, Playstation win

From a financial standpoint, he's more than right. It's probably an understatement. XB1 will earn way more than the 360 did lifetime, and is selling about on par with the previous machine also. At the very least it's no steep decline like online forums would have you believe.

Verder

oh phil dont lie to yourself.

even yo first party games are pretty hurt.

halo 5 and gears were good but they were numbered sequels.

cancelling scalebound showed that they dont wanna take a risk. Sony took one with horizon .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom