• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer thinks this is Xbox's best generation so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephtes

you do realize your opinion is likely the minority one though? I mean we can all talk about our favorite everything. I probably play SF and Destiny more than the average and last gen Pixel Junk Monsters and Journey were my GOTY lol. We're all weird in our own ways. But when Phil talks makes an overall statement like that, I think most folks will just disagree.

Lol at the argument of "if you like Japanese games PS4 might be better" like it matterea what region a game comes from. PS4 has more games period, led the VR charge, doubled the installed user base (which means where your friends play is more than likely on a PS4) and a larger WWS. The past E3 have been filled with hype from Sony games. On an individual bases, I can see ppl making their case, people love WiiU, it has some of their favorite games of all time.

But I also think it's pretty reasonable to see someone POv that thinks this is the weakest Xbox so far. Exclusives are still important, and it's just lacking. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on is Forza.

/Slowclap

Amazing.
Absolutely amazing.

It's like you read everything I wrote and understood none of it.

You need to go back to that first thing I wrote:
"Different strokes for different folks".

It's a colloquialism. I understand, but what it means is:
People can like different things and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm happy you like Street Fighter V.
I found it to be a dumpster fire based on what Capcom did to Ibuki, a beloved character going back to the 1990's who they absolutely ruined by removing her move set she had for 20ish years.

And that's fine. You can like dumpster fires. I think you're quite brave for liking dumpster fires actually.

But Phil stated an opinion. It's an opinion that maybe doesn't work for you and your love of hot garbage on fire, but it does for other people.

I get this thread, I do. But I don't understand calling the guy a liar or corporate shill as some have for his opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even Phil Spenser...And even people who enjoy the smell of hot burning garbage.

iavi

Are they really going to put Win10 in the LR? They keep saying it, but, my xbox is not at all like my Win10 PC. When they start adding features to make the Xbox look and feel like Win10, then mission accomplished. Maybe Scorpio, but I wont buy on a promise.

I don't think they're gonna give us a desktop in the LR, nor would I want one personally.

What they are giving us is one core of Windows with a multitude of faces that share apps (UWP).

That's why we're seeing thing like Kodi head back to Xbox.

The X1 is my least favorite Xbox console so far.

Mine too. Easily.

But I like where it's headed post Mattrick and think Scorpio will be 360 round 2

urge26

you do realize your opinion is likely the minority one though? I mean we can all talk about our favorite everything. I probably play SF and Destiny more than the average and last gen Pixel Junk Monsters and Journey were my GOTY lol. We're all weird in our own ways. But when Phil talks makes an overall statement like that, I think most folks will just disagree.

Lol at the argument of "if you like Japanese games PS4 might be better" like it matterea what region a game comes from. PS4 has more games period, led the VR charge, doubled the installed user base (which means where your friends play is more than likely on a PS4) and a larger WWS. The past E3 have been filled with hype from Sony games. On an individual bases, I can see ppl making their case, people love WiiU, it has some of their favorite games of all time.

But I also think it's pretty reasonable to see someone POv that thinks this is the weakest Xbox so far. Exclusives are still important, and it's just lacking. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on is Forza.

It's not a minority opinion in my circle. I use my PS4 in almost the same vain, a Naughty Dog machine. All other games like Destiny and Overwatch the majority of my friends exclusively play on Xbox.

The argument is Jason saying that Microsoft can't compete on first party titles, which then warped into the notion that Phil is some Trump like figure cheating over those that actively play on their Xbox which isn't the case. It's a stupid Sony vs. Microsoft fanboy argument.

Kill3r7

That came out? Why am I just hearing about this now?
I mean did anyone even care about the 1st one?

Well it sold over 2 million copies which is fantastic for an RTS game on consoles. I believe at the time MS head some sort of a headline about it being the best selling console RTS game ever.

/Slowclap

Amazing.
Absolutely amazing.

I found it to be a dumpster fire based on what Capcom did to Ibuki, a beloved character going back to the 1990's who they absolutely ruined by removing her move set she had for 20ish years.

And that's fine. You can like dumpster fires. I think you're quite brave for liking dumpster fires actually.

But Phil stated an opinion. It's an opinion that maybe doesn't work for you and your love of hot garbage on fire, but it does for other people.

I get this thread, I do. But I don't understand calling the guy a liar or corporate shill as some have for his opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even Phil Spenser...And even people who enjoy the smell of hit burning garbage.

I mean honestly....He is.

Most corporate figures are. Part of his job tbh. Nothing wrong with that. It's when folks delude themselves into thinking the relationship is anything more that's the problem.

what? they literally about-faced practically everything about the console months before launch, except kinect, which they dropped shortly after

I'm talking about the past year or so. It's very obvious to me and a bunch of people mentioned it in the Scalebound cancellation thread as well.

EmiPrime

Xbox One gets as many things wrong as it does right IMO.

When they get it right they really nail it (controller, XBL, backwards compatibility, GWG, Halo 5) when they get it wrong they fall face first (the reveal, Kinect, studio closures, Halo MCC, Scalebound). On balance I don't think it's the best Xbox but we're only 3 years in and they've shown themselves willing to fix their mistakes so who knows?

While XBOX was always my last purchase of the past 3 gens, this is the first time I haven't felt even slightly compelled to buy one within the first like 5 years since launch. I'm not the market considering I only play Japanese games, but they've dropped the ball harder on that front more than they ever have.

/Slowclap

Amazing.
Absolutely amazing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even Phil Spenser...And even people who enjoy the smell of hot burning garbage.
Ok...I gotcha...and lol at Ibuki, I hear some pros are using her at least '-)

It's not a minority opinion in my circle. I use my PS4 in almost the same vain, a Naughty Dog machine. All other games like Destiny and Overwatch the majority of my friends exclusively play on Xbox.

The argument is Jason saying that Microsoft can't compete on first party titles, which then warped into the notion that Phil is some Trump like figure cheating over those that actively play on their Xbox which isn't the case. It's a stupid Sony vs. Microsoft fanboy argument.
Fair enough, I figured the thread was more a comparison thread for the consoles. But you're right, it's just his opinion, and a reasonable one at that.

DocSeuss

The Xbox One S is probably the best console that's ever been made, in terms of sheer quality, in big part thanks to the newest update (it's not out for everybody yet). Great controller, Live is waaaay better than any other online service, etc etc.

But the games, man. The games just are not there. Microsoft is really disappointing me on the software front.

Chitown B

I spend a fortune on my PC, -------- this generations Xbox has absolutely nothing going for it,

OK, come on now. If you hadn't done the former, then the Xbox would be a great addition. That's your own decision. Painting the Xbox as nothing because you already created basically a much more expensive Xbox is a bit disingenuous.

Dysun

I'd say it's the worst generation by far. The original Xbox was innovative and had unique games, the Xbox One has very little innovation and sequel-itis to outdated franchises which are now being ported to PC.

postaboy

Well it sold over 2 million copies which is fantastic for an RTS game on consoles. I believe at the time MS head some sort of a headline about it being the best selling console RTS game ever.

I used to work at GameStop during my college years and I remembered coming to work one day and we had like 2 feet high of halo wars games traded the next day after its release date. I believe halo wars sold that amount because gamers thought it was an fps.

ThEoRy...

I don't feel like it's the xbox brand's best generation. They started out bad, kinda turned things around but still fell behind. They don't have the Japanese presence the 360 had what with the Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon games etc. With that being said, I'm still having fun. I shall continue to do so whenever scorpio comes out as well. That should put them in a better place too but I guess the damage has been done this time around.

So I don't really put much weight in what Phil is saying. I mean what is he supposed to say? "we're not doing as good as we'd like to do" or, "we'll get em next time" I wouldn't call the guy a shill or anything but he is a company mouthpiece so his opinion would be biased.

Chitown B

Lol at the argument of "if you like Japanese games PS4 might be better" like it matterea what region a game comes from. PS4 has more games period,

Actually acting as if the types of games for the region that they are being sold in doesn't matter is a bit ridiculous. Same reason the Xbox never sold well in Japan - because they like their style of games and not FPS.

NeoGAF isn't "the general public" and most of the general public in the US buys Call of Duty and Halo and Gears of War. Not Yakuza, Dangaronpa, Toukiden, Tales of Zestiria, BlazBlue, Persona, Aragami, Hatsune Miku, etc. It's great they exist and some people really like them. But you walk up to any average gamer on the street in the US and whether they have an Xbox or PS4, they aren't listing any of the second list nor have they probably even heard of them.

But if you like Japanese games, those are the reason you'd want to buy a PS4 over Xbox One if price is equal. PS has a bunch of games free every month on PS+ but I don't ever play them because I've never heard of any of them and I have no interest. So, quantity isn't a big selling point.

cripterion

Lol it's the total opposite but coming from where he is he can't really be honest here. All they can do is keep trying to ride that Scorpio buzz, seems that's what they've been doing ever since they announced the damn thing.

The Xbox One S is probably the best console that's ever been made, in terms of sheer quality, in big part thanks to the newest update (it's not out for everybody yet). Great controller, Live is waaaay better than any other online service, etc etc.

But the games, man. The games just are not there. Microsoft is really disappointing me on the software front.

What does live do better than other services? I guess it has been down less than psn last year But that's not saying much. The interface of the Xbox is still slow as fuck, installing games is still a chore and when you talk about the controller are you talking about the Elite? Cause I was a big fan of the original controller but they're even more shitty than the PS4 ones considering I haven't used mine that much and one has a dead d-pad and left stick drift. Meanwhile 360 ones still rocking strong.

Kill3r7

I used to work at GameStop during my college years and I remembered coming to work one day and we had like 2 feet high of halo wars games traded the next day after its release date. I believe halo wars sold that amount because gamers thought it was an fps.

Would not surprise me if that was the case. It came out in 2009. You could practically put Halo on anything and it would sell.

Crayon

After the parade of fumbles, it's clear that games is the biggest problem. Reveal, Kinect, price, 900p, bad os etc is all just details.

Sydle

1) Play Anywhere gimping Console Family Sharing
2) No PC >>> Xbox Streaming
3) Not adding in basic functionality that PC gamers expect in their UWA/PC implementations.
4) Not bringing what makes PC gaming great to console (3rd party controllers, middleware, mods) that are supported on Win10 (PC) but not Win10 (Xbox).
5) Lousy attempt at combining Xbox and Win10 store fronts. Might even consider it worse.
6) Free gimped versions of their console exclusives (Forza, Halo builder).
7) Play Anywhere features different between various game releases (Sometimes, console & pc can play together, sometimes not, etc..) They should be trying to GROW the player base to improve the multiplayer experience for their customers, not segment it.

Valid criticisms. Not sure what you're getting at with #5, but the Store overall could use some more user friendly design.

RexNovis

Banned
In terms of sales he's right. In terms of first party output he's delusional if he thinks that. But obviously he's not gonna say "yeah we've really shit the bed this gen"

If he is talking about sales, sure, it's better at this point in lifecycle than previous one, on games front? Not so much.

I think he talks about sales?

(and to be honest, i agree with him either way, the 360 gen was ruined by the kinect focus from 2010)

Nah XB1 is behind 360 in WW sales. I honestly dont know where this alternative fact comes from. The only place where they are theoretically close or better than 360 is the US and even that is likely to change this year unless the Scorpio provides enough of a boost to overcome the influx of sales the 360 enjoyed when Kinect first released which seems kind of unlikely tbqh.

Helznicht

I don't think they're gonna give us a desktop in the LR, nor would I want one personally.

What they are giving us is one core of Windows with a multitude of faces that share apps (UWP).

There are tons of UWP apps on the Win Store that would be great little time wasters on Xbox, but ya know, most of those are free, so cant have that taking away from real
$60
games. They don't understand the market enough to know that would have a negligible impact to the bottom line, but would be a great selling point of the console.

EmiPrime

What does live do better than other services? I guess it has been down less than psn last year But that's not saying much. The interface of the Xbox is still slow as fuck, installing games is still a chore and when you talk about the controller are you talking about the Elite? Cause I was a big fan of the original controller but they're even more shitty than the PS4 ones considering I haven't used mine that much and one has a dead d-pad and left stick drift. Meanwhile 360 ones still rocking strong.

The controller build quality varies a lot. I have had 4 XB1 controllers in my possession and the current one I own (a standalone black bluetooth model) is easily the best I've had.

Kill3r7

Nah XB1 is behind 360 in WW sales. I honestly dont know where this alternative fact comes from. The only place where they are theoretically close or better than 360 is the US and even that is likely to change this year unless the Scorpio provides enough of a boost to overcome the influx of sales the 360 enjoyed when Kinect first released which seems kind of unlikely tbqh.

I believe you are off by a year on the Kinect. It came out in 2010 (2009 = 2017) but it does not deter from the gist of your post.

Its nice to think things. Does not make them true. If it did I would have been having sex with Cindy Crawford over 20 years ago. Yes I'm old - shut up youngsters.

-Ryn

Banned
ibxpg1hoc5wvthayk2r.gif

Chris1

There are tons of UWP apps on the Win Store that would be great little time wasters on Xbox, but ya know, most of those are free, so cant have that taking away from real
$60
games. They don't understand the market enough to know that would have a negligible impact to the bottom line, but would be a great selling point of the console.
It's up to developers if they put it on Xbox. Not MS.

Some games already made it over due to it being a UWP - Fallout Shelter for example.

cripterion

The controller build quality varies a lot. I have had 4 XB1 controllers in my possession and the current one I own (a standalone black bluetooth model) is easily the best I've had.

I'm just surprised cause the controller is like brand new and it didn't get a lot of use, this issue is really shitty, looked on Internet and saw people had that from brand new controllers. I don't mind the wear and tear after years or use but this is something else. But as you say it's a lottery (my day one controller is fine actually)

Kill3r7

It's been out over 3 years and I don't think is even near the 30 million mark right? If so that's hardly 'hot cake' worthy, unless we think of Wii U as the baseline of 'fine' sales, heh.

It's around the same ball park as 360 launch aligned. Wii U ended up at 13.56 million. GC lifetime was 21.74 million. OG Xbox lifetime was 24 million.

RexNovis

Banned
I believe you are off by a year on the Kinect. It came out in 2010 (2009 = 2017) but it does not deter from the gist of your post.

Ah no you're right my bad. Its a bit early in the morning here so I had a bit of a brain fart. Well I could see Scorpio boosting XB1 sales past 360 for a while but I really doubt it would sustain any sort of momentum long enough to overcome the boost kinect ended up giving the 360 later on. Again this is only in the US. WW its already a lost battle.

lol what at joke.

At this point the 360 had a bunch of games I was interested in.

The xbone has like, half of a game I care about maybe?

Phil is all PR talk. Rarely comes off as genuine. Don't understand why some like him so much.

The 360 was obviously Xbox's best gen. No question. It was dominating Sony for a good few years and managed to stay neck and neck to the end.

Eh, can't really agree on that one. I found my Xbox One's interface to be slow and clogged, the download speeds were much slower, install speeds were slower, store was more of a hassle to navigate. This is just my opinion, obviously, but you can't definitively say that the Xbox One S is the highest quality console on the market. It doesn't do 4K gaming compared to the PS4 Pro, for one, and it isn't as powerful as the base PS4 or Pro, which leads to lower resolution for some titles. It also just has less titles released on it overall. How are you possibly measuring that it is the best, outside of parameters that are extremely subjective?

Kill3r7

Ah no you're right my bad. Its a bit early in the morning here so I had a bit of a brain fart. Well I could see Scorpio boosting XB1 sales past 360 for a while but I really doubt it would sustain any sort of momentum long enough to overcome the boost kinect ended up giving the 360 later on. Again this is only in the US. WW its already a lost battle.

Agreed. I think MS would be pretty happy if they hit 55 million by end of 2020. I guess that number will depend on how much of a boost Scorpio provides. They could just as easily end up around 46-49 million.

DocSeuss

Lol it's the total opposite but coming from where he is he can't really be honest here. All they can do is keep trying to ride that Scorpio buzz, seems that's what they've been doing ever since they announced the damn thing.

Better connectivity, faster/more reliable downloading, better voice chat (I STILL have weird issues with PS chat where I can't hear people even tho we're in the party). It's up more. It's more robust vs DDOS stuff. It's quick to sync saves and stuff. It's really cool.

The new interface is nice and snappy; it was bad on the black Xbox One. It's way better on the S.

Installing games is easy; find the game in your download list, tell it to download, and it downloads. Managing your library is the best it's ever been on a console. Plus, the console's better at providing basic information (how fast it's downloading, etc) right from the main page (thanks to the new update) and in the library software (in the lower left, at all times). It's much better download experience than any other console I've owned. Second only to Steam in terms of library management.

As for the controller, sorry you've been having trouble; most of the complaints I've personally heard about controllers this gen are about the DS4 thumbsticks falling apart. I personally have no problems with the X1S controller. Maybe the original X1 controller didn't work out well, but I don't have one of those.

That said, I do prefer the 360 controllers.

Eh, can't really agree on that one. I found my Xbox One's interface to be slow and clogged, the download speeds were much slower, install speeds were slower, store was more of a hassle to navigate. This is just my opinion, obviously, but you can't definitively say that the Xbox One S is the highest quality console on the market. It doesn't do 4K gaming compared to the PS4 Pro, for one, and it isn't as powerful as the base PS4 or Pro, which leads to lower resolution for some titles. It also just has less titles released on it overall. How are you possibly measuring that it is the best, outside of parameters that are extremely subjective?

Most powerful =/= best. PS2 was the best console of its generation, and it was the weakest one. I don't care about console resolutions at all as a PC gamer.

borges

Banned
It's really not though. It's ahead of the 360 launch aligned in North America but it literally doesn't exist anywhere else on Earth.

If im not wrong, Xbox One is doing well on UK, Brazil, Mexico and to some extent Australia. Not comparing it to PS4, which is a selling at an outstanding pace, but its far from being an US only console.

I wonder if he actually believes this or if it's just PR posturing? We will never truly know!

Personally, I don't think the first years of the Xbox One can compete with the first years of the Xbox 360.

reKon

Banned
On the subject of the Xbox One being a great gaming console, is there a remote play feature similar to what Sony has implemented yet?

Kill3r7

On the subject of the Xbox One being a great gaming console, is there a remote play feature similar to what Sony has implemented yet?

Yes, it was implemented last year or 2015, I forget. You can play it on most W10 devices. It is a nice feature but not exactly must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom