• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Joycon's latching mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
The joycons are supposed to keep the switch tablet secured, only being able to be removed by pressing the release button on the back:
BJJpSw1.png

However, GiantBomb have noticed that it doesn't seem to work - they don't need to press the unlatch button and are concerned it will get looser with time and possibly result in the tablet falling out while you're holding it after a while:

insta98126.gif

You can see the conversation here - taken from the recent UPF (premium video).

People are suggesting that it might be due to them dropping it on concrete but that's hardly conclusive. They aren't the only ones with a Switch, has anyone else tested it out?

Keeping the discussion here to not further derail the joycon sync issue thread.

I mean they did say they dropped it

But also what are the chances of you accidentally applying that much pressure to the console only?

i think this is one of those things where normal use won't be an issue.

sugarless

First GIF kind of reminds me of the "iPhone 6 bends if you bend it" videos. I'll reserve judgement but it seems difficult to believe the machine would not have been thoroughly stress-tested for daily use scenarios.

Leonsito

The release buttons allow to release the joycons without effort, if you apply enough force of course you can dettach them in other ways.

JordanKZ

I mean, yes, it's not a perfect system. However, why would you be applying force to the top of the Switch when you're holding the sides?

It'll be interesting to see more accounts of the system, but, I bet they'll upgrade the rails at some point to have larger latches.

Why the fuck would you press down on the top of the screen with your thumbs like that? Add to this that they dropped the unit on concrete and, yeah... What do you expect?

Skyzard

Banned
Rorie just taps it and it goes flying though, doesn't seem like much force at all and it's only been a few days, imagine if it gets looser and looser.

What's the point of the release button?

IPhone "you're holding it wrong" scenario. I highly doubt someone will push the tablet part down so forcefully it will unlock the joycons that way. But I'm sure a small minority will

Protome

Hopefully it's just because they dropped it.

Seems unrealistic you would naturally or even accidentally put that much force like that on the device.

I think the worry is more that it could get worse over time if the latch isn't actually holding it in place.

Due to the direction the Joycons need to come off to allow the Dock to work, if it got worse over time you could end up with the main console portion falling out.

I doubt it'll end up being a big issue and even if it does, probably not for a few months when people have been using them a lot.

Kurdel

Banned
I have also seen 1 2 switch videos where the Joycon strap unsnaps accidentally.

It doesn't look like the best solution.

Air

Banned
This is one of those issues that weren't complained about during the numerous demo sessions so I'm not worried at all.

Pretty sure they said on the latest Beastcast that it takes a really unusual amount of force to slide a joycon off the rail, even when pressing the release button.

So, who's telling the truth? Giant Bomb East or West?

Or is this another propaganda Switch thread? Someone must be really worried lol.

krumble

Pointless thread when you fail to mention the key fact - they accidentally DROPPED IT ON CONCRETE and then this started happening.. thread should be closed

All this does is make me wish that, when you approached the docked switch, the joycons would shoot upwards into your waiting hands.

Rorie just taps it and it goes flying though, doesn't seem like much force at all and it's only been a few days, imagine if it gets looser and looser.

That definitely sounds like exactly what happened

Like do you really thing tapping a joy con is going to send it flying in a normal use case

big_z

it was also mentioned on Nintendo voice chat that after playing Zelda while docked the battery in the switch was actually lower than before playing. they said they're going to retest it but if true that's also a concern.

Skyzard

Banned
Pointless thread when you fail to mention the key fact - they accidentally DROPPED IT ON CONCRETE and then this started happening.. thread should be closed

Try reading the OP:

People are suggesting that it might be due to them dropping it on concrete but that's hardly conclusive. They aren't the only ones with a Switch, has anyone else tested it out?

Besides, dropping the console when everything else seems fine, resulting in both latches malfunctioning doesn't seem conclusive and the issue is worrying if they aren't built well and get looser over time.

That's not good...

Skyzard, didn't we discuss this yesterday?

We didn't get confirmation if it was because they dropped, hopefully we will now and won't be derailing a different thread.

I've never experienced a new console release where so many people went out of their way to create negative threads about non-issues. I wonder why?

It's fascinating to watch.

Yeah maybe someone who hasn't dropped it on concrete can actually test it and not smack the joycons to dislodge them. That was not a tap.

The straps have a lock mechanism. I've seen a lot of people not using it, and some having it locked and trying to take the strap out without unlocking and having a very hard time with it. A lot of people seem to miss the lock thing.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
^lol, you again.

Off-topic: does the 'ignore' list work on mobile?

I've also seen people complain that they take a little more effort to pull of than they thought. I dunno. Whatever. I'll just make sure I try and handle the thing in a reasonable way, I suppose.

jonno394

Didn't Giant Bomb drop their Switch and this is what damaged the locking mechanism?

Normal useage likely wont be affected like this, unless you go out of your way to do it.....

My big concern is that I'm a natural fiddler, in that I'll fiddle with buttons when I'm not doing anything so I hope I don't hit the release buttons while I'm holding it. That's obviously a me problem and not a hardware problem though.

But so far this is the only report I've heard of them being easy to dislodge without hitting the release, and maybe we can try to hear from people who haven't dropped theirs on concrete?

Ninja Dom

it was also mentioned on Nintendo voice chat that after playing Zelda while docked the battery in the switch was actually lower than before playing. they said they're going to retest it but if true that's also a concern.

If you play an intensive game on an iPad. The charger doesn't charge the iPad while plugged in. You can also sometimes see the battery percentage decrease on an iPad while plugged in and playing an intensive game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The fear is that over time these latches will become less secure via normal wear and tear.

Everyone seems in a hurry to dismiss this and focus on him dropping it. Which by the way will happen to people.

It would probably be wise to not skip the warranty.

The amount of Baghdad Bob's in these Switch threads is really something else.
The amount of Negative Nellies in Switch threads is the real eye opener. It's like certain people are scared this thing might be a hit or something. It's very amusing.

Jacce

Banned
This is looking for a ____gate where there isn't one. A device dropped onto concrete and then hit to try to knock off joycons....isn't a real issue.

My iPhone screen breaks if I drop it on concrete. Screengate!

Did giant bomb make a big deal about this?
Seem overblown.

No they didn't. They themselves seem to think it is could be due to dropping it on concrete and all these gifs are from their unprofessional friday video which isn't a serious video.

Glix

"They dropped it on concrete but thats hardly conclusive"

Yet you provide not a single quote from another outlet with the same issue.

C'mon man, do better.

Also don't you think that, uh, hitting them repeatedly to do moronic tests would uh

Break them? And make it easier for it to happen next time?

Also yeah loling hard at the dismissal of the fact that it was dropped on concrete.

The "infomercial fail" gifs are totally appropriate.

StayDead

They literally dropped it on a concrete floor. That's probably the issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom