• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] - Here's How Character Switching In Spider-Man 2 Works

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Last week, Insomniac Games showed off Spider-Man 2's seamless transitions between Peter Parker and fellow web-slinger Miles Morales.

These moments in the sequel's gameplay reveal were impressive, invoking memories of similar fluidity from Insomniac's fellow PS5 exclusive Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. But I still had questions. Can we only switch characters at certain story points or will we be able to switch between them freely?

It turns out, the answer is a little bit of both.

"When you're playing the main story, we control when you switch between Pete and Miles... it's done in service to the story when we're making those switches, for sure," Spider-Man 2's creative director Bryan Intihar told Eurogamer in an exclusive interview. "So, as you saw on that gameplay reveal, which is a segment of the main story, we are pre-determining those based on what we want to do for how the story plays out."

When you are in Spider-Man 2's New York open world, however, it's different.

"We have content designed around Peter, we have content designed around Miles and we have content where you can play either," Intihar shared. "You'll be able to - in the open world - freely switch between them with a simple button press." This is thanks to the power of the PlayStation 5.

"Being able to switch in the open world so quickly between the two characters is really, really awesome," Intihar smiled. "Just being able to pick and choose who I want to play as for a certain activity... it's been so awesome to have that feature. [It's] something we probably wouldn't have explored previously."

Additionally, this character switching will all tie in with Spider-Man 2's three skill trees - one for Peter, one for Miles and one that is shared.

"We want to make sure that when you do switch between the heroes, there's a sense of familiarity. They're both Spider Man, you know how to play the game, but you still have that flexibility in that customisation for upgrading each of them with their [skill trees]," Spider-Man 2's game director Ryan Smith elaborated.

"We saw in the gameplay reveal where Miles has the evolved Venom powers, whereas Peter has the Symbiote abilities. And so those, those change a bit of how you play, and you can upgrade those in their respective trees as well."

I asked if there will be the chance to perhaps switch to other characters, such as reporter and Peter's girlfriend MJ, but I was quickly told I needed to keep the focus on last week's gameplay.

Ah, well. I tried.

You can read more from my chat with Spider-Man 2's directors, where they discuss balancing the sequel's darker tone and the theme of addiction, here.

JaksGhost

My point is that this feature, altough improved I guess thanks to da powah of the PS5, was introduced 2 generations ago. This stuff is to be expected. I have no idea why we need articles highlighting this as if it was some insane revolution.
They're not reinventing the wheel but proving upon it. The article was also talking about other elements as well but the OP wanted to just highlight this one thing since people were talking about it in the other threads.

tmlDan

My point is that this feature, altough improved I guess thanks to da powah of the PS5, was introduced 2 generations ago. This stuff is to be expected. I have no idea why we need articles highlighting this as if it was some insane revolution.
well, this time you're swapping between two heroes with wildly different powers on the fly with different quest lines....id say thats building upon it and way more evolutionary considering only 1 game, maybe two did it previously?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"When you're playing the main story, we control when you switch between Pete and Miles... it's done in service to the story when we're making those switches, for sure,"

So it's a narrative device then. Ah well, would have been nice if there were options to tackle the story content differently as well.

Nautilus

Banned
Eh, don't like this overly big focus Sony is giving Miles. Spiderman is and always will be Peter Parker, and that's who I want to play as. Not to say that playing as Miles is bad, but this sounds like Miles is like 50% of who you play as in the game, and I'm not particulary fond of that.

Because until the game is made available on PC, this "instant-switching" feature will be pegged by Sony and the greater gaming media as some innovation that could only be done on PS5 hardware.

The "instant world switching" from Ratchet and Clank that everyone lauded a few years ago will be available on PC very soon so they needed a new thing to market.

JaksGhost

Eh, don't like this overly big focus Sony is giving Miles. Spiderman is and always will be Peter Parker, and that's who I want to play as. Not to say that playing as Miles is bad, but this sounds like Miles is like 50% of who you play as in the game, and I'm not particulary fond of that.
You've got over 30 other Spider-Man titles available that are solely Peter Parker, you'll live.

Mr Moose

Because until the game is made available on PC, this "instant-switching" feature will be pegged by Sony and the greater gaming media as some innovation that could only be done on PS5 hardware.

The "instant world switching" from Ratchet and Clank that everyone lauded a few years ago will be available on PC very soon so they needed a new thing to market.
You know they were talking about PS4 when they said "This is a game that wouldn’t be possible without the power of PlayStation 5. We’re introducing more vibrant worlds than ever before, the speed of the SSD allows us to leap across the galaxy nearly instantly, and special effects like ray-tracing shows off the capabilities of the new console.", right? Surely? They don't make the games for PC/Xbox, the f do you think they were talking about?

You know they were talking about PS4 when they said "This is a game that wouldn’t be possible without the power of PlayStation 5. We’re introducing more vibrant worlds than ever before, the speed of the SSD allows us to leap across the galaxy nearly instantly, and special effects like ray-tracing shows off the capabilities of the new console.", right? Surely? They don't make the games for PC/Xbox, the f do you think they were talking about?
They do make games for PC actually. Spiderman Remastered is on PC.

SCB3

Eh Miles is fine, he’s actually the best example of introducing diversity to an established IP, he’s not replacing Peter, he’s his own character and a good one at that

He does feel like a Spider-Man for the next generation, my son loves him more than Peter and that’s fine, Peter Parker is my Spider-Man and Miles happens to be others

Pelao

I imagine that by the end of the game you're going to be able to switch between three characters: Peter, Miles and Eddie, or whoever ends up being Venom in this universe.
If the symbiote powers have their own skill tree, they're not going to let you lose whatever you invest in them once Peter loses the black suit.

Mr Moose

I read the entire article.

It’s like GTA V. Icons on the map for Peter, icons on the map for Miles, and icons for either.

All thanks to the power of PS5, this never before seen character switching can exist now.
If that's what you got from
"Being able to switch in the open world so quickly between the two characters is really, really awesome," Intihar smiled. "Just being able to pick and choose who I want to play as for a certain activity... it's been so awesome to have that feature. [It's] something we probably wouldn't have explored previously."
Then that's on you.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I read the entire article.

It’s like GTA V. Icons on the map for Peter, icons on the map for Miles, and icons for either.

All thanks to the power of PS5, this never before seen character switching can exist now.

Then your original comment that the article was written "just to confirm you can switch between characters" looks even more silly. They are discussing the character switching feature's functionality and parameters, not just that you can do it; which like you said, we already knew.

Tams

Eurogamer

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Mr Moose

You’re going to have to help me out on how this is awesome.

It’s switching characters. What am I missing here? I’m legit not seeing it, and feel like I’ve done this in other games.
It doesn't suggest they invented character switching, you made that up yourself. All it says is they like the feature, fast switching between characters (and it being actually fast).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep, no way the PS4 could do something like this. I heard GTA V was supposed to have multiple protagonists that you switch between but it was scrapped due to hard drive limitations.
It took you 2+ minutes to load into the damned game and over a minute to switch.

I mean, even a microwave could run DOOM, I suppose.

T4keD0wN

How many? I don't see a single one in this thread.
Come on, at least read the very beginning of the article.
Last week, Insomniac Games showed off Spider-Man 2's seamless transitions between Peter Parker and fellow web-slinger Miles Morales.

These moments in the sequel's gameplay reveal were impressive
People in this thread at least dont buy that lame marketing attempts, they just pretty much give credit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom