• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Confirms Wolverine Game Is Set in the Same Universe as Spider-Man 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
Wolverine.jpg

In an interview with Kinda Funny, though, Spider-Man 2 director Bryan Intihar confirmed that the two games do in fact exist in the same world.

"They're all 1048. I think I got that right."

Spider-Man 2 was previously confirmed to be universe 1048 in Across the Spider-verse. This means that Wolverine has the potential to tie into Spider-Man's ongoing story, though direct references and other easter eggs have thus far been relatively few and far between.

We wouldn't be true Marvel fans if we didn't have discussions like that, but I think for us it was, 'Hey, working on these games is really hard. They're really complicated.' And I think it was just like, 'Hey, let's let the Wolverine team cook.' Let's let them cook and if something ever happens in the future, great.

But right, now let's just make sure that let's not box anybody into a corner and let's just make sure that they have a clear runway to make the best Wolverine possible and it's going to be awesome. So I'm really excited about it. But we wouldn't be like Marvel fans if we didn't talk about things.

It's been reported that Wolverine will be going for mature rating. As long as that hasn't changed i don't really care. I have a hard time imagining Insomniac attempting to create their own MCU, that would be dumb. I'm guessing the franchises will be loosely connected with Easter eggs but nothing more than that.

Just for the lolz, I would enjoy Spider-Man having a cameo in Wolverine, just to show Peters reaction to Wolverine ripping enemies apart

Last edited:
It's clear Sony, Insomniac, and Marvel are contemplating some element of a Marvel Gaming Universe. MGU if you will.

Sony knows they can put out a Venom game like Miles Morales and it will probably sell pretty well. After Wolverine, they can put out an X-Men game.

And then they can make a Spider-Man and X-Men Arcade's Revenge remake (jk) or maybe we see a Spider-Man 3 Maximum Carnage, maybe that features Wolverine and/or the X-Men.

But this relationship with Marvel could fund the expansion of Insomniac for the next 5-10 years. They just need to make sure it doesn't get stale.

It's clear Sony, Insomniac, and Marvel are contemplating some element of a Marvel Gaming Universe. MGU if you will.

Sony knows they can put out a Venom game like Miles Morales and it will probably sell pretty well. After Wolverine, they can put out an X-Men game.

And then they can make a Spider-Man and X-Men Arcade's Revenge remake (jk) or maybe we see a Spider-Man 3 Maximum Carnage, maybe that features Wolverine and/or the X-Men.

But this relationship with Marvel could fund the expansion of Insomniac for the next 5-10 years. They just need to make sure it doesn't get stale.
make it 10-20 years.

The irony of Jim's statement regarding Bungie.🤣😂.

Insomniac is the one that is going to deliver 70B in value post-acquisition...let that sink in.

Gamerguy84

Nice. Beautiful world they've built in their SM games. Wolverine will be a different viewing angle.

At least we know gow they built 3 games so fast. These other Sony devs better step up.

make it 10-20 years.

The irony of Jim's statement regarding Bungie.🤣😂.

Insomniac is the one that is going to deliver 70B in value post-acquisition...let that sink in.

I fully anticipate fatigue to set in with these games. Also, they take too long to develop and eventually Marvel/Disney will probably decide to make these games themselves. I'd be surprised if they run 20 years.

I fully anticipate fatigue to set in with these games. Also, they take too long to develop and eventually Marvel/Disney will probably decide to make these games themselves. I'd be surprised if they run 20 years.
No way in hell they will be able to make their own games at the same lavel of production value and quality. (especially because of how much they are struggling with money and the quality of their own content)

Disney ain't spending billions to acquire a publisher/game studio or build their own in the foreseeable future.

I agree that 20 years is a lot. we already have 5 since spiderman 2018. I can see 10 years ( 3 more AAA games ) and maybe a decline-fatigue towards the last 5 years. (one last game).

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Wolverine.jpg

In an interview with Kinda Funny, though, Spider-Man 2 director Bryan Intihar confirmed that the two games do in fact exist in the same world.

Spider-Man 2 was previously confirmed to be universe 1048 in Across the Spider-verse. This means that Wolverine has the potential to tie into Spider-Man's ongoing story, though direct references and other easter eggs have thus far been relatively few and far between.

More Woke things!!!! 😨

No way in hell they will be able to make their own games at the same lavel of production value and quality. (especially because of how much they are struggling with money and the quality of their own content)

Disney ain't spending billions to acquire a publisher/game studio or build their own in the foreseeable future.

I agree that 20 years is a lot. we already have 5 since spiderman 2018. I can see 10 years ( 3 more AAA games ) and maybe a decline-fatigue towards the last 5 years. (one last game).

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...sider-acquiring-a-big-game-publisher-like-ea/

DavidGzz

Hmmm, the engine is great but I hope the tone is different. I'm not able to picture a darker gritty setting with gore in the same world...

Where did you get past tense here?
2019:
bqADLuZ.jpg

This is the thing. this last report of Disney trying or wanting to acquire EA
from the videogame media is detached from reality. (meaning; videogames outlets dont know shit about the current state of Disney).

BmLGZJU.jpg

0cuY5gT.jpg

l1EdvD3.jpg

They have a big legal issue with the Florida government. Disney+ still is losing billions. They have serious issues with their parks. The actor strikes haven't been resolved (movies are being delayed to 2025)...heck, they haven't recovered from the Fox acquisition

so yeah, Disney is in so deep shit to even start thinking in making their own games.

Last edited:
2019:
bqADLuZ.jpg

This is the thing. this last report of Disney trying or wanting to acquire EA
from the videogame media is detached from reality. (meaning; videogames outlets dont know shit about the current state of Disney).

BmLGZJU.jpg

0cuY5gT.jpg

l1EdvD3.jpg

They have a big legal issue with the Florida government. Disney+ still is losing billions. They have serious issues with their parks. The actor strikes haven't been resolved (movies are being delayed to 2025)...heck, they haven't recovered from the Fox acquisition

so yeah, Disney is in so deep shit to even start thinking in making their own games.

And yet Disney execs are looking at Warner and Harry Potter and they're seeing $$$ signs

cybertailor

Neo Member
not sure I like that. I hoped Wolverine might be a bit more serious in it's story telling. Like SP2, but the characters are still a bit too flat for me.

FeralEcho

Get ready for Wokeverine and the X-people.

EDIT:Actually I think people is a term too offensive for modern audiences so lets call them Latinx-Men to keep it in-universe for Insomniac.

Found a leaked Artwork of the main character
hgHsMGS.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom