• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's more accessible controls & gameplay features explained

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wanted to make this a separate thread since I thought a lot of people who might not click "Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite gameplay trailer" by default might be interested.

• The game now uses a six button layout that's as follows: light punch, heavy punch, light kick, heavy kick, infinity stone, and character switch. This was done to make it easier to play with a gamepad.
  • By just continually pressing the light punch button, you will do a ground combo that knocks your opponent into the air, keeps hitting them in the air, and then knocks them back down to the ground.
  • There's also a new universal combo string that's meant to be easy to execute, and help teach people about multiple button combos. You hit light punch, light kick, heavy kick, and then press down + heavy punch. This does a ground combo that launches your opponent into the air. This is supposed to be easy, as you just move your thumb in a diamond pattern across the face buttons, and it works with every character.
  • Every character also has a hyper combo that is done simply by pressing heavy punch and heavy kick at the same time. Traditionally, you would have had done motions like down, down-right, forward + button or forward, down, down-right + button to pull these off, which could be complicated for a lot of players.
  • There is now only one button for switching characters, and you can use it at any time.
  • They've also lowered the number of characters back down to two per side so it's easier to follow.
  • On the defensive end, the aerial counter has been removed in favor of an easier to use counter switch. The way this works is that if you have two hyper bars, you press and hold the switch button, and your other character rushes on screen and can attack to break the combo being performed against you.
  • Eurogamer gives an example of how this plays out in gameplay: "Combining these new accessibility mechanics, I was able to land combos in the high 20 hits range with just two buttons. Mash light for a ground combo that transitions into an air combo, keep on mashing to slam them into the ground, press the switch button to bring in your partner then mash light punch to repeat. I was able to perform this loop three times, ending with an easy hyper combo with the press of hard punch and hard kick. I didn't need to touch the thumb stick at all throughout."
  • Moving over to the Kotaku preview, they note that traditional assists have been removed, though characters like Ultron can still call in back-up from minions as befitting the character.
  • Capcom is also considering removing the "shoryuken" input (forward, down, down-forward) and replacing it with pressing down twice, as newer players have a notoriously hard time executing it.
  • Game Informer notes that other complex fighting game controls are not present.
  • More specifically, there are no half circle (left, left-down, down, right-down, right) inputs, nor are there charge moves, with all specials being done via double down or quarter circle (down, right-down, right) inputs.
  • Game Informer also notes that automatic combos do the same damage as manual input ones.
  • Capcom notes that they still feel there are a wide variety of options for more advance players to express their skills.
  • Toward feature set, the game features a 2 hour campaign, mission mode which teaches you more detailed information about your character and the game in general, an arcade mode, an training mode, and a collection where you can collect stuff.
  • There are some other things, but I think they're a bit specific to actually understanding Marvel vs. Capcom instead of having maybe just struggled with a Capcom fighting game in the past, so I've left those out. Click the Game Informer link for more details on that if you're a Marvel vs. Capcom enthusiast who wants to know all the changes.
Source 1: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...akes-big-changes-in-the-name-of-accessibility
Source 2: http://kotaku.com/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-wants-even-newbies-to-have-a-1794685310
Source 3: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m.../27/50-details-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite.aspx

Neoxon

Glad to see MvCI adopting MvC2's controls, but I'm a bit surprised by the removal of half-circle motions.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Glad to see MvCI adopting MvC2's controls, but I'm a bit surprised by the removal of half-circle motions.

I think they've decided that quarter-circle is about as complex as they want to get, since that's normally the first complex input people are able to start pulling off in a Capcom fighter.

They can make the timings a bit more generous there too to fix the issues some people have with nailing the right plus button part.

Kyne

Capcom notes that they still feel there are a wide variety of options for more advance players to express their skills.

like what?

:\ seems like everything is pretty cut and dry. I can see using the stones/all 4 meters for more combo potential, but that's about it.

Skilletor

like what?

:\ seems like everything is pretty cut and dry. I can see using the stones/all 4 meters for more combo potential, but that's about it.

Seems like there's tons of flexibility and room for swag in the system for me. Between the way tags, otgs, and gems work, game looks hype af to me.

Mesoian

So it's the autocombo from P4A and the magic series from Marvel 3.

I'm okay with that as long as said combos are not optimal.

Gonna be weird doing command grabs with quarter circles.

Also, has anyone seen confirmation of how normal throws are done in this game? Wondering if it's heavy punch near an opponent, or LP+LK.

like what?

: seems like everything is pretty cut and dry. I can see using the stones/all 4 meters for more combo potential, but that's about it.

Stuff like OTGs and wallbounces still exist. Not only that but it seems you can switch during an attack, using it both in a neutral abd combo situation, so pretty much this seems to take place of an assist.

You can look at Persona 4 Arena as an example of a more casualized version of other Arcsys games, but that game has no shortage of combos or still has a lot of freedom.

McNum

This is going to be very interesting to follow, because MvC:I looks like it actually considers the standard controller the primary control option, instead of designing for an arcade stick.

Losing the Z motion for Shoryuken is very analog stick friendly, as that is not an easy input for a lot of people, and keeping everything else on quarter circles also signals the use of analog sticks as a primary control.

Of course, people who are already very good at fighting games can just forego all the newbie stuff and do what they always would have. But giving average or even bad players the option to do some basic combos sets a good damage baseline. Everyone can mash LP and get that damage. So now we won't have a situation where we get Time Overs in casual play because no one can hurt the other opponent fast enough, but still be able to keep the damage high on combos like a Marvel game should. Newbies just get to use a basic version almost for free now.

Also that universal tag system... I look forward to seeing what people can do with that. Tag in at nearly any time? Oh yes. Very yes.

Pompadour

like what?

: seems like everything is pretty cut and dry. I can see using the stones/all 4 meters for more combo potential, but that's about it.

I don't think the advanced stuff will be overcoming execution barriers but rather using meter, gems, and the free tag system for crazy set ups. You could lay down cover fire with a super and tag in your teammate to mix your opponent up while they have to block the initial super. I imagine it'll get much crazier with all the freedom they allow.

Even with the simpler controls, MvC combos are long and complex so shit like fly/unfly will still be difficult.

jett

D-Member
That sounds like good stuff indeed. Personally I've always suffered with charge moves. :p From what I've read there's oodles of combo and optimization potential so this won't really affect the mahvelness of Mahvel.

I forgot who said it in one of the other threads but I thought a good point was with less potential inputs for moves there may be less overall special moves for characters which could be very disappointing. QCF, QCB, air versions of those, DD, what else? Forward x2 + button?

I guess now that we have dedicated punch and kick buttons it may even out but it still seems limiting at first

Producer

like what?

we havent even seen all the stones or people play the game competently. Stuff like team composition, dhc/tag out mixups, imcoming setups etc all seem to be here

I forgot who said it in one of the other threads but I thought a good point was with less potential inputs for moves there may be less overall special moves for characters which could be very disappointing. QCF, QCB, air versions of those, DD, what else? Forward x2 + button?

I guess now that we have dedicated punch and kick buttons it may even out but it still seems limiting at first

Well we saw Strider which still had gram (dp motion) and teleport (reverse dp), along with his summons and wall clings so it seems it shouldn't be a problem.

Kyne

Seems like there's tons of flexibility and room for swag in the system for me. Between the way tags, otgs, and gems work, game looks hype af to me.

This is going to be very interesting to follow, because MvC:I looks like it actually considers the standard controller the primary control option, instead of designing for an arcade stick.

Losing the Z motion for Shoryuken is very analog stick friendly, as that is not an easy input for a lot of people, and keeping everything else on quarter circles also signals the use of analog sticks as a primary control.

Of course, people who are already very good at fighting games can just forego all the newbie stuff and do what they always would have. But giving average or even bad players the option to do some basic combos sets a good damage baseline. Everyone can mash LP and get that damage. So now we won't have a situation where we get Time Overs in casual play because no one can hurt the other opponent fast enough, but still be able to keep the damage high on combos like a Marvel game should. Newbies just get to use a basic version almost for free now.

Also that universal tag system... I look forward to seeing what people can do with that. Tag in at nearly any time? Oh yes. Very yes.

I don't think the advanced stuff will be overcoming execution barriers but rather using meter, gems, and the free tag system for crazy set ups. You could lay down cover fire with a super and tag in your teammate to mix your opponent up while they have to block the initial super. I imagine it'll get much crazier with all the freedom they allow.

Even with the simpler controls, MvC combos are long and complex so shit like fly/unfly will still be difficult.

all good points.

I guess what I was getting at is that it seems like these hour long combos will be like MvC3 except that execution is going to be easier overall. I'm just not sure how I feel about that yet.

I'm sure the meta might dance around keeping meter so that you can get out of long combos, much like the GG/BB series.

TreIII

I'm only getting more excited, the more I think about how all these systems can come together stylishly.

OTGs going back to CPS2-era silliness was already making me smile. Everything else is just "i_can_only_get_so_erect.png" material!

Skilletor

Don't see that in the trailers and descriptions. Iron man got new moves. Didn't see anything missing from Chris or Strider. Cap got new moves as well.

I'm only getting more excited, the more I think about how all these systems can come together stylishly.

OTGs going back to CPS2-era silliness was already making me smile. Everything else is just "i_can_only_get_so_erect.png" material!

Somebody on reddit compared it to XvS.

Autocombos do as much as manual ones? Wow, that'll make it easy for random hits to convert and add up.

I think they mean that the auto combos aren't scaled even though they are easier than actually putting in the easy string, but naturally you can find a more optimal combo that is more damaging and meter effecient by experimenting, like P4A.

cireza

Purists are probably going to be disappointed, but I think that's a good way to make the game more accessible.

I can see my casual friends being able to play this much better than the previous Marvel games.

They never are. Just people are against simplified controls because they think it makes them better gamers or something.

You can do easy combos in KI, Tekken, NRS games but you're only doing 10% dmg. The casual players won't care, they just have fun doing them. The 0-2 pot monsters online absolutely detest it though.

More specifically, there are no half circle (left, left-down, down, right-down, right) inputs, nor are there charge moves, with all specials being done via double down or quarter circle (down, right-down, right) inputs.

I will be a GOD now.

Duxxy3

It's about time Capcom learned from their errors. Now we just need to convince From Software to do the same.

Gbraga

So it's the autocombo from P4A and the magic series from Marvel 3.

But here's the thing, they can't be. It's impossible for them to be optimal, even if they make the auto combo the most swag thing they can think of. Fighting games are free form and constantly evolving, day one's optimal is day two's garbage.

And if that wasn't enough, it won't even be day one optimal, it'll be just regular magic series.

With how they're trying to make things more accessible it's baffling to me that they'd go back to the MvC2 scheme, but I'm fine either way.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with going back to Marvel 2 controls, but I think they're completely wrong if they believe that makes the game more accessible. ABC Launcher is a much simpler layout.

SkylineRKR

Back to basic is what makes me interested.

I love it when fighters do that, such as VF5:FS that simplified reversals etc, or SCV which cut its move list to decent proportions.

I was a fan of XvsSF but lost it when the sequels became more and more bloated. Might not mind auto combos either, it didn't bother me in KOF XIV and Persona though I never really used it.

This. I don't know why everyone is overreacting so much. They can't honestly think with someone like Combofiend at the helm that this game is just going to be mash light finish with hyper/tag partner in over and over until death.

Nate405

Could also use command normals (direction + button) and something like Dante's bold move (two specific buttons) assuming there aren't other universal two button shortcuts like the HP+HK easy hyper. I am a little nervous about how they are going to fit Dante into this game after his amazing implementation in MvC3 though.

shaowebb

like what?

Tags used for mixups, baiting breakers and blowing the up, reset and Oki setups, utilizing dashes and the new wallbounces that maximillian brings up to create unique tag or regular combos...it goes on and on. Heck even the otg factor is a thing that leads to advanced combos.

If you blow all you got on auto combo into stone and super attempts you'll get resource poor and likely breakered before you get that damage. TV is proof of that. Combos that use more tools that bounce folks around are gonna be harder to tag in and stop without getting happy birthdayed than autocombos and magic series into supers.

Makki

I think there should be a downside to autocombos to encourage player skill growth, as it stands being able to tag in and mash through 3 sets without touching the analog stick seems like a crazy oversimplified gimmick

Gbraga

This. I don't know why everyone is overreacting so much. They can't honestly think with someone like Combofiend at the helm that this game is just going to be mash light finish with hyper/tag partner in over and over until death.

Combo is great, but "at the helm" is a bit much.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sounds really good. Been wanting a more accessible fighting game for a while and this seems like a perfect game to check out.

Not really and most of these changes aren't going to make a big difference.

New players are still going to get overwhelmed in the game.

It's all about gatewaying people in, the autocombo stuff will help, it definitely helped a lot with P4A also the removal of all Devil May Cry characters from the game and existence will make it easier to follow

Renekton

I can bring my friend into this game now. He has always been excellent at reads/mind games just bad at SF-esque executions.

dankir

Lol some of you are acting like simplified inputs will make this any less of an exciting game. Like really because you don't have to do a half circle or DP motion it makes it less a full fledged game aimed at the FGC?

the LP auto combo thing is no big deal, its the same as the magic series from previous games and when you had 1 bar in MvC3 you could press both assists buttons and get a level 1 hyper... so what's the difference now?

Biggest snobs are easily the FGC out of any gaming community I'm familiar with.

Top Bottom