• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's more accessible controls & gameplay features explained

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom keeps saying they are pumping this with content but I don't see it. I see a 2 hour story which isn't impressive and a few modes that sre standard in FGs.

They need WWAAAYYY more than that.

I don't think Capcom's actually an especially great developer these days, like on the fundamental game production level.

HardRojo

Half circles are not present? Wow, I hope they don't really go down the route of having simplified buttons across the board. Make it optional, not mandatory please. I want my DP and half circle motions.

Korigama

It's all about gatewaying people in, the autocombo stuff will help, it definitely helped a lot with P4A also the removal of all Devil May Cry characters from the game and existence will make it easier to follow
Pretty sure most consumers bought the P4A games for story, with the actual fighting (let alone any desire to git gud) being a secondary concern at most for such players. Also, seems rather presumptive that they'll be removing all Devil May Cry characters for this (not sure what's up with the "and from existence" bit).
did MArvel even have charge characters?
Spinning Bird Kick for Chun. Forgot about some of the stuff for Hulk and Shuma.

Seyavesh

Does that mean Gamma Wave is a motion now?

the control scheme is punches and kicks probably for this exact reason

remove the number of moves by reducing number of inputs but still keep the ability to have at least 4 moves per char by having qcf/qcb motion on punch or kick result in diff moves

so gamma charge is prob qcf kick and gamma wave is qcf punch or whatever

add in dp/dd and you have 2 strengths of 6 moves per char or so without having to use any "extra" types of motions

Come n get it

When we going to play?

Day 0

Pretty sure most consumers bought the P4A games for story, with the actual fighting (let alone any desire to git gud) being a secondary concern at most for such players.

Little bit of both

Also, seems rather presumptive that they'll be removing all Devil May Cry characters for this.

teehee
Dahbomb has dreams

Dahbomb

I don't think Capcom's actually an especially great developer these days, like on the fundamental game production level.
Which is a damn shame, they used to be tip notch and actually delivered games with meaty game play content.

Itsuno save us from all the mediocrity... please?

Seyavesh

man i just realized how much im gonna miss pressing M like all the damn time

i just realized this is gonna be the second game where ryu doesnt have his real cr.mk

capcom's conspiracy to erase the signature fighting game move continues

TreIII

Which is a damn shame, they used to be tip notch and actually delivered games with meaty game play content.

Itsuno save us from all the mediocrity... please?

I'm sure Itsuno would love to deliver the goods.

But even he is only limited by what his bosses allow. If he gets undercut in some bad way again, it'll be even more of a travesty.

Coda

The two button easy hyper combo is silly, it's gonna make elements of the game kind of scrubby. Like it's not that hard to do a single QCF and two attack buttons, if you don't play fighting games often it takes 5 minutes to learn at best. What's so hard about that for casuals to do?

The last Capcom fighting games I can remember with great content was Project Justice and Alpha 3. Project Justice had the Arcade/Story Mode stuff, while Alpha 3 had World Tour Mode along with the basics.

Most Capcom fighters afterwards only had the basics.

Infinite has Arcade, Story, Mission, Gallery. Hope there's some other stuff in it.

The last Capcom fighting games I can remember with great content was Project Justice and Alpha 3. Project Justice had the Arcade/Story Mode stuff, while Alpha 3 had World Tour Mode along with the basics.

Most Capcom fighters afterwards only had the basics.

Infinite has Arcade, Story, Mission, Gallery. Hope there's some other stuff in it.

Power Stone had a decent amount, IIRC.

shaowebb

I think my thing is that people should manage their expectations with these changes.

This is not going to make it "Marvel for babies". This is not going to bridge gap between experienced and new players. This is not going to make people learn the game quicker. If you had problems with Marvel games before then you will still have problems now.
Oh man that "marvel for babies" comment reminds me of opening week vanilla mvc3 rants from mvc2 folk. Wasn't it like...Fanatic maybe, who popped off on stream at length about whackass baby combos with no skill?

Shit was hilarious.

If folks lose to magic series and autocombos they never were good to begin with. Memorizing long combos that kill but not learning how to read, punish, move, or bait folks is just fooling yourself. He'll I'd take a player who knew all that but who only used magic series and autocombos over lab monkeys with no player vs player sense. One knows how to play vs people and the other only knows how to play with themself lol.

Pros will still stomp folks. They do it all and If folks think easy inputs means no skill gaps will be noticeable all you gotta do is watch a smash bros tourney to realise they are deluding themselves.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The two button easy hyper combo is silly, it's gonna make elements of the game kind of scrubby. Like it's not that hard to do a single QCF and two attack buttons, if you don't play fighting games often it takes 5 minutes to learn at best. What's so hard about that for casuals to do?
So there's actually nothing all that difficult about queuing up a bunch of base units while having a battle in StarCraft 2 from a mechanical perspective, I've done it tons of times, but that is still a huge barrier that helped kill the RTS genre.

By comparison, the genre that took RTS games and had you control one unit is now the most popular non-mobile genre on earth.

BadWolf

I'm sure Itsuno would love to deliver the goods.

But even he is only limited by what his bosses allow. If he gets undercut in some bad way again, it'll be even more of a travesty.

Man, if the campaign for DMC5 is nearly as bad as 4's...

Dahbomb

I think it was Sanford.

Which is funny because in his most recent tweet about Marvel 3 he said he actually respected it compared to SFV lol!

It's gonna be quite a sight to see in a few months when people realize that simplified inputs still isn't gonna make them good at the game.

If inputs were holding you back before, you will still be a baddie.

I'm not fond of d,d for a dragon punch. The move input is 30 fucking years old.

That said, I never play characters with DPs, so it won't affect my play.

It's gonna be quite a sight to see in a few months when people realize that simplified inputs still isn't gonna make them good at the game.
I can Hadoken just as good as him, so how did I lose?

On the defensive end, the aerial counter has been removed in favor of an easier to use counter switch. The way this works is that if you have two hyper bars, you press and hold the switch button, and your other character rushes on screen and can attack to break the combo being performed against you.

...But why?

shaowebb

I think it was Sanford.

Which is funny because in his most recent tweet about Marvel 3 he said he actually respected it compared to SFV lol!
Sanford! That's the guy. Saltiest dude on the planet. Just ask Rico Suave lol.

Good times. I can't wait to see the meltdowns with all these changes at launch. Fuck yeah Roku... big screen streamin salt.

I'd rather DPs were removed than half circles to be honest, because it's easy to perform a DP when attempting a half circle. (if you step forward, then half circle, you get a DP).

They need to fix those kind of input overlaps. It can happen with half circle too I guess, if you're walking backwards then DP...

In general the overlaps and input buffers cause problems, the SF style control layout has never been ideal, and I'm really pleased to see that they're looking to address it.

It's actually pretty awesome. A costly combo breaker that isn't without risk. The first character stays on screen so he still takes damage, and if the attacker anticipates the combo breaker, he can tag and nail the defender for a new combo.

But a counter combo already has its own risk reward system. This just subs it out for another where the risk is moved from health to your hyper bar. Having it as an addition rather than a replacement would've made more sense

MoxManiac

If inputs were holding you back before, you will still be a baddie.

I'm not fond of d,d for a dragon punch. The move input is 30 fucking years old.

That said, I never play characters with DPs, so it won't affect my play.

I can Hadoken just as good as him, so how did I lose?

Isn't Dormammu's pillar a DP motion? :p

Gbraga

I don't really care about that. THC with 1 bar or 1 character is a 2 button hyper combo.

What bothers me is the idea that this mechanic could mean the death of button dash. I like it a lot more than double tap.

I play fighting games but know dick about the terms. Can someone ELI5, what is everyone talking about when they say "charge" specifically?

I'm personally fine with DP motions being turned into d,d motions.

But removing half circles and FREAKING CHARGE moves? That's just going too far IMO.

I play fighting games but know dick about the terms. Can someone ELI5, what is everyone talking about when they say "charge" specifically?
"Motion" moves are moves where you just do the directional input, press the button and voila. Like Ryu's fireball. Just do quarter-circle forward and then press punch and you get a hadoken.

"Charge" moves are where you need to be holding a specific direction for a period of time, then press the opposite direction and press a button. Like Guile's Sonic Boom. Hold back for a little while then suddenly press forward and press the punch button.

Charge moves make it so that you can't be in a position to move forward and do that special move. You HAVE to charge it and then do the move or you sacrifice the ability to do the move in favour of movement or doing other moves.
Shuma-Gorath off the top of my head is a charge character in UMVC3.

Roll in TvC, too.
Chun, Hulk and I believe Jill also had charge moves.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
like what?

:\ seems like everything is pretty cut and dry. I can see using the stones/all 4 meters for more combo potential, but that's about it.

A game that has Combofiend as its producer is going to have pants on head crazy level stuff for advanced players.

On the one hand, I welcome the return of the MvC2 2P2K button scheme, as I didn't care for MvC3 in this regard. On the other, the thought of using double-down instead of the Z pattern for dragon punches seems really unpleasant to me.

shaowebb

I don't really care about that. THC with 1 bar or 1 character is a 2 button hyper combo.

What bothers me is the idea that this mechanic could mean the death of button dash. I like it a lot more than double tap.
Why? Use two other attack buttons to dash with. 2 lights equal a throw? Fine. Use lphp instead. I get it's easier to hit lplk or hkhp given controller layouts but it's not a huge skill jump. He'll it's a 6 button game...controllers are 8button. Just macro lphp to r2 and l2 and enjoy rapid fire one button dashes as you hit down to wavedash it.

dankir

These changes are dumb because I bet most of the same people complaining about fighters being too complicated or hard are still gonna quit in a week or two after getting waxed by better players online

Dude even with these simplifications if you're not good at fighting games you're still going to get your ass beat by a more capable player online. The mixup possibilities, combo extensions seem pretty nutz with the infinity stone uses and tag in features.

All of you think this is game is for babies stay losing. Remember when Sanford said X Factor was turning UMvC3 into easy mode for beginners and the game was shit?

Yeah well UMvC3 was still hype as fuck and still is even with "easy mode"

MvC:I will be no different.

Producer

Im pretty sure 2 button dashes are confirmed

Grimsen

But a counter combo already has its own risk reward system. This just subs it out for another where the risk is moved from health to your hyper bar. Having it as an addition rather than a replacement would've made more sense

I have no idea why they removed counters. Maybe you can switch during a pushblock.

MoxManiac

2 button dashes are confirmed.

Top Bottom