• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's more accessible controls & gameplay features explained

Gbraga

Why? Use two other attack buttons to dash with. 2 lights equal a throw? Fine. Use lphp instead. I get it's easier to hit lplk or hkhp given controller layouts but it's not a huge skill jump. He'll it's a 6 button game...controllers are 8button. Just macro logo to r2 and l2 and enjoy rapid fire one button dashes as you hit down to wavedash it.

Pretty sure throws are forward + HP.

I mean I'm worried that it won't even be an option in the game, not worried that I won't be able to perform it.

2 button dashes are confirmed.

Im pretty sure 2 button dashes are confirmed

FUCK YES

dankir

The two button easy hyper combo is silly, it's gonna make elements of the game kind of scrubby. Like it's not that hard to do a single QCF and two attack buttons, if you don't play fighting games often it takes 5 minutes to learn at best. What's so hard about that for casuals to do?

It was already in UMvC3!!!! Press both assists and you get a level 1 hyper if you have bar... what's the difference now?

Seyavesh

A game that has Combofiend as its producer is going to have pants on head crazy level stuff for advanced players.

on the other hand, sf5 exists and marvel is being promoted as the game that's easier and less competitive than sf5, which is already as dull as it can get

i don't think appeal to authority works here- skill was on so many games where folks would say the same shit and that appeal never had any legitimacy to it, either

in general the vibe i get is 'people who don't play or like marvel style games are saying "finally, a marvel for me!" and will immediately drop the game once they get dunked on by some ol' horseshit' but that's probably just the usual paranoia
it just really feels like this game is built to appeal to the type of folks who would say "marvel is just seizure induced mashing"

It was already in UMvC3!!!! Press both assists and you get a level 1 hyper if you have bar... what's the difference now?
THC is p. different mostly bc it comes w the cost of multiple bars if you have 'em and the times you can THC vs. supering are p. different b/c of the different cancel properties
they're like, similar at face value but overall different due to difference in function

shaowebb

Pretty sure throws are forward + HP.

I mean I'm worried that it won't even be an option in the game, not worried that I won't be able to perform it.
Doubltapping isnt bad. They already said wavedashing is in though less valuable than normal dashing. I guess like Haggar maybe? Id say 2 button dashing is in if they're saying this. Unless they are doubltapping and using normals to dashcancel, but I think I read down is the cancel already.

Dahbomb

Are we talking about the "aerial counter" as in the TAC counter?

Because the TAC is a garbage mechanic all around. Having a combo breaker is still infinitely better than that system.

There's now 0 reason to have a TAC system to begin with when you have Tags. Good riddance.

in general the vibe i get is 'people who don't play or like marvel style games are saying "finally, a marvel for me!" and will immediately drop the game once they get dunked on by some ol' horseshit' but that's probably just the usual paranoia
That's probably pretty accurate.

I though this game was going to be pretty dry when I first heard of the features and mechanics in the game but after learning about all the actual mechanics (and not rumors) and seeing some of them in application.. this game is going to have some BS that will turn people off after they get hit by it once or twice. Which pretty much means that the people who stuck around for Marvel 3 will be the one sticking around for this game and the people who left that game because of XF/Vergil/Astral Vision/Zero/teleport mix ups/assist spam will leave this game quick too. Like I already know people are going to get salty when they get stuck in the cube and hold Oroborus mix ups while Strider tags in his partner during the orbs still flying around.

I guess the advantage that Marvel Infinite has in that area is that it will get patched so nothing will remain busted for too long.

R0ckman

If inputs were holding you back before, you will still be a baddie.

Not sure why people keep parroting this.

Fighting games are mainly about timing and field control. The move execution element is an extra layer, not necessarily a complement to the game play.

Coda

Are we talking about the "aerial counter" as in the TAC counter?

Because the TAC is a garbage mechanic all around. Having a combo breaker is still infinitely better than that system.

There's now 0 reason to have a TAC system to begin with when you have Tags. Good riddance.

I really like the "Counter Switch" mechanic effect visually too, the inverted color flash works well to convey what is happening.

RZQVoKF.jpg

shaowebb

All this easy input auto combo stuff means is that newbies can finally hit confirm easily and do more than 2 or 3 hit combos.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Persona 4 Arena had a LOT of casual content, and given that it had a lackluster competitive scene, it's fair to say many people bought it for that reason.

A 2-hour story mode is unimpressive. You need a consistent flow of single player content to keep people engaged. Overwatch likey has a TON of people enjoying the new Horde Mode because they can't handle the stress of PvP.

Capcom keeps saying they are pumping this with content but I don't see it. I see a 2 hour story which isn't impressive and a few modes that sre standard in FGs.

They need WWAAAYYY more than that.

they said they are pumping it w/ content?

because thats how you get 32 year old jon bones to buy an fg these days... i aint a young man puttin time in the lab anymore

Oresama

Great! Now just toss in some just-frame and just-guard mechanics in there you'll make the hardcore players happy too No?

BadWolf

Pretty much, people hate losing and winning takes effort and dedication that casuals are usually unwilling to put in.

Inputs can be simplified but in the end there is a lot more to fighting games than that.

Dahbomb

they said they are pumping it w/ content?

because thats how you get 32 year old jon bones to buy an fg these days... i aint a young man puttin time in the lab anymore

They have said multiple times that it will be content rich but so far what they have shown doesn't scream it.

But I doubt that's all the modes in the game, still have a ways to go until we know everything about the game.

I like how people are saying crossover counters are a new guard break feature when they have been in every Marvel game. They were just kinda shitty previously.

Seyavesh

Fighting games are mainly about timing and field control. The move execution element is an extra layer, not necessarily a complement to the game play.

the idea that execution isn't inherently linked to the gameplay is p. wrong and kind of a weird factoid that has been spread recently

shit like sonic boom doesnt exist as a qcf for very specific reasons related to execution and how execution ties into what your options are at the time. even dps were specifically intended to be difficult to do because they're strong as fuck- look it up in the "history of sf2" polygon giant article thing.

anyhow, people say that folks who can't do motions will never be competitive even w simplified motions b/c the motions are not very complex and ultimately a minor hurdle to being competitive in fgs- remember that children would do this shit in arcades during live play while playing the game. brolylegs exists and that guy literally uses his mouth and face to play. there are blind competitors in multiple fgs.

the idea that the thing stopping someone from being competitive is that "dp motion is too hard! fireballs are too hard!" is insanely inaccurate- if that's the hurdle they've having issues with then it's likely they will not be able to overcome the actual hurdles of competitive play

I'd prefer if they did something akin to Xrd's Stylish and Technical options. Simplifying inputs for simply the sake of drawing in newcomers is a bit of a gamble, as mentioned before, execution is inherent to the design of the gameplay and the way the moves are used. Not to mention, the barrier of execution is still there if players choose to play any other fighting game.

Puruzi

Banned
Dude even with these simplifications if you're not good at fighting games you're still going to get your ass beat by a more capable player online. The mixup possibilities, combo extensions seem pretty nutz with the infinity stone uses and tag in features.

Yeah that's what I said. That's why the changes are stupid. They'll still be bad and they'll still lose so there's no point

OmegaDL50

Why do people always over-exaggerate stuff that doesn't matter?

When has auto combos ever been relevant in...any setting?

Sometimes I think people just want to find reasons to be frustrated for the sake of it.

They aren't, They didn't change the skill ceiling for either Persona 4 Arena or KOF XIV, and they won't change the skill ceiling for Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite either.

This is coming from someone who was a former competitive Super Turbo player which is a game that was much more emphasized on its fundamentals in controlling space as opposed to high execution barrier. Making inputs more complex or the amount of buttons one needs to press does not change anything when it comes to knowing WHEN to execute a move in regards to its timing, knowing the right time to land it for opportunity and advantage.

Even SFIV with one frame links were seldom effective in an actual match when there were far more effective means do more guaranteed damage for less execution barrier.

Marvel wasn't ever complex with its motions to begin with, even all of the basic supers dating back to even X-Men Vs Street Fighter were still a quarter circle with two buttons. This is a case of some folks making a mountain out of a molehill.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
the idea that execution isn't inherently linked to the gameplay is p. wrong and kind of a weird factoid that has been spread recently

shit like sonic boom doesnt exist as a qcf for very specific reasons related to execution and how execution ties into what your options are at the time. even dps were specifically intended to be difficult to do because they're strong as fuck- look it up in the "history of sf2" polygon giant article thing.

anyhow, people say that folks who can't do motions will never be competitive even w simplified motions b/c the motions are not very complex and ultimately a minor hurdle to being competitive in fgs- remember that children would do this shit in arcades during live play while playing the game. brolylegs exists and that guy literally uses his mouth and face to play. there are blind competitors in multiple fgs.

the idea that the thing stopping someone from being competitive is that "dp motion is too hard! fireballs are too hard!" is insanely inaccurate- if that's the hurdle they've having issues with then it's likely they will not be able to overcome the actual hurdles of competitive play

Yeah, I think people tend to ignore the other implications of having to execute a command to perform a move. It's not just about manual dexterity. It's also about balance, timing, directional awareness, and positioning. Those are considerations to a DP or 360 motion.

I'm not saying that you can't balance around those things, but to suggest that motions are just there as an added barrier of complexity to new players and not a key component to gameplay is a misrepresentation I feel.

sephi22

It's an arbitrary notation that we only think of as standard because it's what it's how it's been done for like 30 years. It's going to make zero difference at high level, and if it brings casuals in, then that's great for everybody.

This is such a shallow way of looking at it I'm surprised it's coming from a fighting game regular. In a game where you're going to get locked by shit like a blocked proton cannon into tag, into Ultron's high/low trijumps, it's going to suck when you quickly block highs and lows and want to punish in the opponent's recovery window but you get a DP instead of a light because you were tapping down while defending. I'm sure more than a few pros are going to lose because of accidental DPs.

Think Wolverine and swiss cheese. It all depends on 2 factors:
A) The input window lineancy
B) If held inputs are considered one input. For eg: how doing a fireball motion without going to neutral while walking forward in street fighter does a dragon punch instead
If you hold d/b to block, and then want to punish with a d/f normal (eg: trish slide) or a launch (d+HP in MVCI), if you went to neutral for even an instant before your punish, you would get a dragon punch instead, because d,d+p means any 2 presses of d/b,d,d/f will work

ec0ec0

is capcom going to try to "neuter" neutral, like they did with street fighter 5?

In ultimate marvel vs capcom 3, a top's player movement looks kind of crazy. I mean, if that was still unchanged in mvc infinite, and even without asists, new players would still not be able to land a hit on a top player, even will all the accessibiliy features.

So, do you think that movement options from previous games are completely safe or not? will capcom go with minimum lag or not? can you really add any lag at all to a game as fast paced as marvel!?

i'm assuming that capcom really wants begginers to feel like they have a chance, and that they are going hard for that.

Seyavesh

So, do you think that movement options completely safe or not? will capcom go with minimum lag or not? can you really add any lag at all to a game as fast paced as marvel?

they already confirmed that they neutered movement. it's pretty clear from the vids- there's no real superjump/fly screen and the gamespace is extremely zoomed in so movement is going to naturally be more limited as a result since allowing folks to wave/plinkdash in any real manner w that small amount of space would be a mess. it's already been confirmed wavedashes are basically removed from the game. they stated that while you can cancel dashes into actions, in terms of movement doing actual wavedashes is less effective than just letting the dash play out. you can see it in the leaked footage a bit, when chris does a "wavedash" but all his momentum stops and he barely travels any distance. it's kind of like when you try to wavedash backwards as deadpool too quickly.

it's stuff like that which worries me, far over autocombos b/c those types of things are tied to the inherent feel of the game and the overall pacing of matches- marvel is movement, and without movement it's some other beast entirely
crisp movement and great feeling buttons are basic, basic parts of the marvel formula

They aren't, They didn't change the skill ceiling for either Persona 4 Arena or KOF XIV, and they won't change the skill ceiling for Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite either.

This is coming from someone who was a former competitive Super Turbo player which is a game that was much more emphasized on its fundamentals in controlling space as opposed to high execution barrier. Making inputs more complex or the amount of buttons one needs to press does not change anything when it comes to knowing WHEN to execute a move in regards to its timing, knowing the right time to land it for opportunity and advantage.

Even SFIV with one frame links were seldom effective in an actual match when there were far more effective means do more guaranteed damage for less execution barrier.

Marvel wasn't ever complex with its motions to begin with, even all of the basic supers dating back to even X-Men Vs Street Fighter were still a quarter circle with two buttons. This is a case of some folks making a mountain out of a molehill.

Your name looks familiar. I sorta remember you from the MVC3 days on SRK with a Gouken avatar.

I agree with that entirely. Some people just reach these conclusions quickly based on absolutely nothing.

Glad to know that the MvC2 layout returns and that every character has an "unique" launch.

But keeping out the quarter moves is lame though.

OmegaDL50

Your name looks familiar. I sorta remember you from the MVC3 days on SRK with a Gouken avatar.

I agree with that entirely. Some people just reach these conclusions quickly based on absolutely nothing.

Yeah I haven't posted on SRK for a few years. I mainly stayed in SNK and Super Turbo sections on the forums and if not, I was heavily on the Tech Talk side of things with custom stick building and mods.

I don't play competitively any more and more or less retired but I still play fighting games for my love of the genre though.

TreIII

Yeah I haven't posted on SRK for a few years. I mainly stayed in SNK and Super Turbo sections on the forums and if not, I was heavily on the Tech Talk side of things with custom stick building and mods.

I don't play competitively any more and more or less retired but I still play fighting games for my love of the genre though.

Yeah, I thought I recognized you. I still pop in and out of SRK at times (under my old "CyberAkuma" handle), but it really has been a long time, otherwise...

BadWolf

Accessibility will never stop the better players from winning.

It will make the game a lot more fun for casuals in single player and when playing against friends though. Most of the people buying NRS games fit in this category.

Having universal stuff like auto combos will also let them enjoy more characters.

McNum

It will make the game a lot more fun for casuals in single player and when playing against friends though. Most of the people buying NRS games fit in this category.

Having universal stuff like auto combos will also let them enjoy more characters.
Also, I could see using the mash LP combo to win a fight to be a subtle but effective taunt at higher levels. That and if the opponent is down to a level of health where the mash combo wins and out of options to stop it from happening... why not take the safe win no matter how good you are?

ec0ec0

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time mashing jab was the best option

Never forget

qFIKgcH.gif

First time i saw this happening was in seasons beatings velocity. It was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!

People use that gif (i guess because i happened a bit sooner), but i recommend this one, by far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csqalZFQLm0

(it's a 6min match and it happens in the last phoenix vs phoenix encounter)

This one happened in winners finals of a tournament, at the very end of the last round, the exchange in particular lasted really long (way longer that in the vid that that gif comes from), and both the commentators, and specially the crowd, were really excited about it. It was better in every possible way.

I hope that anyone who had forgotten about it/hadn't seen it enjoys it :p

Neff

I don't buy Capcom fighters to perform DP by doing down, down

Are they out of their fucking minds

Capcom's mission to dumb down their fighting game experiences to make them accessible for 'casual' players only serves to bite them in the ass. We've seen it repeatedly.

Don't attempt to bring the SRK.com/EVO experience to the masses by simplifying it. Most of them don't care. Instead create a game which allows beginners to go up against stronger players by utilising powerful, simple, universal tools which don't insult the player's intelligence.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll always hate when they take moveset consistency out of fighters.

The fact I don't have to practice a DP motion for just Shotos, but EVERY version of the anti-air across all games, always helped legitimize it's "difficulty" to me. You learned it in one game, it's the same across everything.

Putting in a different motion for a move that's been the same across hundreds of games, pushes people away from "Fighters" and towards that one game. Mahvel might get more players (initially), but these players aren't going to feel comfortable taking their skills to SFV, GGX, or KoF XIV afterwards.

It just seems short-sighted. As if it's a Band-Aid for a single hurdle, that lends nothing to the people who stick around past that.

Can't be mad about Teabagging here, they're just buffering their AA!

---

Looped combo strings from button presses? It's amazing what can be done when OTGs are something characters can do dependably on their own. Here, the button mashing is whatever, and is basically "magic series -> otg assist" repeated a few times. Which is what you'd see in more advanced play anyway. Optimization will still come from shifted button press rhythm / use of unique movement options in between strings, so that's not too different in the end. I like the underlying system changes that make this all possible, as it should help broaden the viable character selections.

---

Everything being qcf (I guess / hope there's qcb too?) and double taps sounds... erm... we'll see. Does this means there's only 1 strength of each move, since the same motion + a different button = a whole new move? Will some characters use the Switch or Gem buttons for normal / ex specials? KI has gotten by pretty well with it's simple-er motions, and they never feel as if they're sacrificing character depth by doing so. MVCI could be the same.

Have we seen a complete, written out move listing for anyone yet?

Combo breakers will be GREAT if they are like bursts in ASW games. ESPECIALLY if baiting the breaker leads to a happy birthday. :-D

If you were too lazy to learn how to make a QCF motion before, you're going to be too lazy to learn the rest of the game. It's just an excuse people have. It's just like kids who make up excuses to not do their homework - they're just lazy whiners.

Samemind

This is such a shallow way of looking at it I'm surprised it's coming from a fighting game regular. In a game where you're going to get locked by shit like a blocked proton cannon into tag, into Ultron's high/low trijumps, it's going to suck when you quickly block highs and lows and want to punish in the opponent's recovery window but you get a DP instead of a light because you were tapping down while defending. I'm sure more than a few pros are going to lose because of accidental DPs.

Think Wolverine and swiss cheese. It all depends on 2 factors:
A) The input window lineancy
B) If held inputs are considered one input. For eg: how doing a fireball motion without going to neutral while walking forward in street fighter does a dragon punch instead
If you hold d/b to block, and then want to punish with a d/f normal (eg: trish slide) or a launch (d+HP in MVCI), if you went to neutral for even an instant before your punish, you would get a dragon punch instead, because d,d+p means any 2 presses of d/b,d,d/f will work

Make it so diagonals aren't valid inputs for the move seems to solve everything.

El Sabroso

There should be a toggle for easy dp motions, so that way ppl can use the down, down motion for shoryuken-like moves instead of the forward, down, down-forward, or just do it the old way and as long as it is an option, ppl will never complain

other way, adopting the shortcut route from Capcom's own Street Fighter 4 using regular motion or down-forward, down-forward motion as needed

I am glad they are taking out complex motions for moves, KI took this route and the game does not lose any depth and the most complex motion there is the dp motion actually, I don't recall having to do half circles either and all directional charges from previous KI games are also removed

.la1n

None of this sounds particularly bad on it's own. The issue is going to come in if combo creativity is lacking. I have reached a point where it's difficult to watch or perform the same optimal combos over and over in a fighter. Marvel was always a nice reprieve from that.

Grakl

None of this sounds particularly bad on it's own. The issue is going to come in if combo creativity is lacking. I have reached a point where it's difficult to watch or perform the same optimal combos over and over in a fighter. Marvel was always a nice reprieve from that.
I assume there will be a ton of creativity because of the stones + tagging

MoxManiac

they already confirmed that they neutered movement. it's pretty clear from the vids- there's no real superjump/fly screen and the gamespace is extremely zoomed in so movement is going to naturally be more limited as a result since allowing folks to wave/plinkdash in any real manner w that small amount of space would be a mess. it's already been confirmed wavedashes are basically removed from the game. they stated that while you can cancel dashes into actions, in terms of movement doing actual wavedashes is less effective than just letting the dash play out. you can see it in the leaked footage a bit, when chris does a "wavedash" but all his momentum stops and he barely travels any distance. it's kind of like when you try to wavedash backwards as deadpool too quickly.

it's stuff like that which worries me, far over autocombos b/c those types of things are tied to the inherent feel of the game and the overall pacing of matches- marvel is movement, and without movement it's some other beast entirely
crisp movement and great feeling buttons are basic, basic parts of the marvel formula

?? There are super jumps.

kirblar

It was also in MvC2!

My 7-8 year old sister loved using it.

I suspect Rocket + Groot is actually Rocket riding on Groot because of the way they proportioned the new models and screen.

WarRock

The two button easy hyper combo is silly, it's gonna make elements of the game kind of scrubby. Like it's not that hard to do a single QCF and two attack buttons, if you don't play fighting games often it takes 5 minutes to learn at best. What's so hard about that for casuals to do?
You do know that MK has two button supers right. Older VS games had it too.

Skilletor

You do know you've been able to do this since MvC2, right?

Top Bottom