• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's more accessible controls & gameplay features explained

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Honestly I'm not enough of a purist to have an issue with these changes.

Killer Instinct making it really easy to pull off SOME kind of combo will really help me get more out of MVCI because I couldn't do combos for shit in 1/2/3.

JimiNutz

Banned
All these changes sound great to me. I hope it helps to attract new players - its certainly convinced me to pick up the game and try it for myself.

Seyavesh

?? There are super jumps.

having superjumps does not equal having a superjump/fly screen

not sure how much experience you have with fgs but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt here- think of the diff. between guilty gear, melty blood, blazblue superjump heights vs. marvel game superjump heights- in the former the vertical length of that superjump height is not 3-4x the height of regular jumps.

in every single vs series game, back to the very first one in x-men: children of the atom, the superjump/fly screen exists- it's one of the differentiating factors for 'marvel' style games. having it basically allows for more freeform movement alongside allowing for characters to have stronger ground movement options as to catch dudes jumping around/flying around in 3-4x. it's one of the defining features between vs. series games against other style fgs, where movement is crisp and fast due to the massive screen space and giant normals/moves are allowed due to those 2 aspects

You do know you've been able to do this since MvC2, right?
isnt it objectively worse to do THCs in marvel 2 with one bar b/c for some reason THC versions of supers are significantly slower?

I'll... probably give it a chance, day one. I mean, 3 technically has four buttons too, with the dedicated launcher. I guess the concept of three intensities just seems more down-to-earth than two different attack types with two intensities each, in my opinion. And on top of everything, it seems like they're watering it down quite a bit. I'm a casual player, yet some of this I feel is overdone. Also, did MvC2 really have a Light/Heavy Punch/Kick layout, too? I always thought it was Light/Medium/Heavy Punch/Kick.

OmegaDL50

I'll... probably give it a chance, day one. I mean, 3 technically has four buttons too, with the dedicated launcher. I guess the concept of three intensities just seems more down-to-earth than two different attack types with two intensities each, in my opinion. And on top of everything, it seems like they're watering it down quite a bit. I'm a casual player, yet some of this I feel is overdone. Also, did MvC2 really have a Light/Heavy Punch/Kick layout, too? I always thought it was Light/Medium/Heavy Punch/Kick.

MvC2 was a 6 button game, however there wasn't Mediums.

The controls were basically

LP, HP, Assist 1
LK, HK, Assist 2

MvC:I seems to be going back to the 2 vs. 2 selection of the original X-Men Vs. Street Fighter / MSH vs SF / MvC1 but with the control scheme similar to that of MvC2.

WarRock

Marvel 2 was L and H only, though you could access mediums double tapping lights. It was... weird.

Carn82

I'm an occasional fighting game gamer, but the whole appeal of most Capcom fighting games have been the control inputs for me. Will try a demo. I'm all for simplifying mechanics but this sounds.. Experimental.

Mulgrok

a fighting game that doesn't have convoluted button combinations designed only to make the game harder to play would be great. I haven't played fighting games in a long time because they always felt needlessly bloated inputs. The less players have to focus on hitting arbitrary button combinations and more on actual tactics the better.

Carn82

There is quite a big space between 'complex inputs' and glorified QTEs. Whatever this ends up being, I do hope that timing and a chain of (contextual) logical commands will be the bulk of it.

SnakeEyez

I'm fine with simplified inputs and auto combos as long as it's locked away by a simple mode. The problem with a down down p input for dp or something similar is that in a fast paced game like marvel, I can see dp coming out accidentally.

a fighting game that doesn't have convoluted button combinations designed only to make the game harder to play would be great. I haven't played fighting games in a long time because they always felt needlessly bloated inputs. The less players have to focus on hitting arbitrary button combinations and more on actual tactics the better.

smash, divekick, at the time rising thunder, for honor, any 3d fighter

How about this, the next game should be designed entirely around its own unique controller- a remodeled arcade stick setup that contains only one giant red button that you mash with your entire fist. You can score bonus damage by drooling all over yourself or by shouting at the screen, which is actually just playing clips from your favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

Armigr

How about this, the next game should be designed entirely around its own unique controller- a remodeled arcade stick setup that contains only one giant red button that you mash with your entire fist. You can score bonus damage by drooling all over yourself or by shouting at the screen, which is actually just playing clips from your favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.

Tell us how you really feel.

It's almost like you didn't read about the complexity of the 'Marvel games still existing. But hey, pretend that button execution is what controls depth and keep pretending like it matters in fighters.

Ashtar

This sounds intriguing, I hate to play 6 button fighters and a 4 button controller, not sure how I feel about the lack of qcf movements I thought those were supposed to be easy but I guess we ll see, I might pick it up for nostalgia sake

McNum

This sounds intriguing, I hate to play 6 button fighters and a 4 button controller, not sure how I feel about the lack of qcf movements I thought those were supposed to be easy but I guess we ll see, I might pick it up for nostalgia sake
Quarter circles are still in, it seems. It's half circles that are missing in action. And some shoryukens, maybe. That's apparently still being revised.

BBboy20

By just continually pressing the light punch button, you will do a ground combo that knocks your opponent into the air, keeps hitting them in the air, and then knocks them back down to the ground
Relying on one button. Hhmm.

There's also a new universal combo string that's meant to be easy to execute, and help teach people about multiple button combos. You hit light punch, light kick, heavy kick, and then press down + heavy punch. This does a ground combo that launches your opponent into the air. This is supposed to be easy, as you just move your thumb in a diamond pattern across the face buttons, and it works with every character.
High risk due to predictability? Maybe high reward for high damage output?
Every character also has a hyper combo that is done simply by pressing heavy punch and heavy kick at the same time. Traditionally, you would have had done motions like down, down-right, forward + button or forward, down, down-right + button to pull these off, which could be complicated for a lot of players.
Unsure about this.

On the defensive end, the aerial counter has been removed in favor of an easier to use counter switch. The way this works is that if you have two hyper bars, you press and hold the switch button, and your other character rushes on screen and can attack to break the combo being performed against you.
If your partner is gone, you're done for?

Moving over to the Kotaku preview, they note that traditional assists have been removed, though characters like Ultron can still call in back-up from minions as befitting the character.
That seems like it'll reduce the amount of characters in general.

Capcom is also considering removing the "shoryuken" input (forward, down, down-forward) and replacing it with pressing down twice, as newer players have a notoriously hard time executing it.
Game Informer notes that other complex fighting game controls are not present.
Can they keep it for Ryu, at least? =/

Confession: Ive never done a charge attack my whole life. I've looked it up when I pick like Guile sometimes but Im always like woah what does that mean

but thats crazy if Super Smash Bros is sounding more complex than Street Fighter, bro so keep the charge attacks pls

Narroo

Depends which game. Street Fighter comes off as being a bit bloated with it's move set, while Skull Girls comes as efficient, despite both being 6 button fighters.

Hyun Sai

It's a smart move to get those games easier to play with a pad. It helps increasing the player base not willing to invest in expensive sticks.

Now I hope they have a good progression system for the casual (à la For honor AI contracts) besides the competitive play.

And they NEED to have a severe punishment for rage quitters implemented day one, it would be beyond stupid if it isn't the case after SFV fiasco on that point.

bunkitz

Weird... but, okay. I'm game. I'm pretty casual when it comes to fighters anyway, so I appreciate this. It's a smart move to increase their user base. And I'm sure it'll somehow still have the more complex and deep combos anyway. The one button thing is a little too much, though. The low > mid > high > special (is that what it's called? the one that can launch opponents to the air?) standard combo from UMvC3 was really simple already, so I'd have preferred if it stayed that way, but ehh.

At this point, I'm just hoping for a lot of characters from day one, unlike SFV.

Foggy

Make your money Capcom, you do you. But this looks cheap and now it sounds less and less compelling to play with each new piece of information.

Neoxon

Weird... but, okay. I'm game. I'm pretty casual when it comes to fighters anyway, so I appreciate this. It's a smart move to increase their user base. And I'm sure it'll somehow still have the more complex and deep combos anyway. The one button thing is a little too much, though. The low > mid > high > special (is that what it's called? the one that can launch opponents to the air?) standard combo from UMvC3 was really simple already, so I'd have preferred if it stayed that way, but ehh.

At this point, I'm just hoping for a lot of characters from day one, unlike SFV.
The problem with SFV's Day 1 roster was that they redid everything from scratch (though the animations were top-notch this time). Sure, SFIV also did this, but they released the arcade version first with its 16 characters, added the 3 bosses later, & added even more for the console release. Since MvCI is reusing assets from UMvC3 for the veterans, a larger base roster is more likely.

The problem with SFV's Day 1 roster was that they redid everything from scratch (though the animations were top-notch this time). Sure, SFIV also did this, but they released the arcade version first with its 16 characters, added the 3 bosses later, & added even more for the console release. Since MvCI is reusing assets from UMvC3 for the veterans, a larger base roster is more likely.

It's also a 2 v 2 cross over fighter, even if they were redoing things from scratch they'd still need to have a bigger roster by nature of the format.

Kashiwaba

I like these changes, now capcom please don't disappoint me with SP contents. Also please add a 4 players mode 2on2 that would be a blast for parties.

danmaku

It's a nice effort, but guess what? You'll still get destroyed online if you suck at the game and you'll still find something to blame other than you. Netcode, I guess.

I liked the universal launcher button with S in mvc3 so I wonder if down HP will be the new universal launcher or will each character have something unique.

Hyun Sai

It's a nice effort, but guess what? You'll still get destroyed online if you suck at the game and you'll still find something to blame other than you. Netcode, I guess.

It doesn't matter. The more people are trying fighting games for whatever reason, the more chance you got to find a small percentage of people with competitive spirit. In the end, it will help growing the scene.

While I am sad to lose the classic Shoryuken motion, if they can lower the skill floor while keeping a high skill ceiling the changes will only be good. I'm mostly a little confused about the first couple of points tho - you can just mash light punch to get a launcher, or you can press the specific buttons and get the same launcher?

Kashiwaba

While I am sad to lose the classic Shoryuken motion, if they can lower the skill floor while keeping a high skill ceiling the changes will only be good. I'm mostly a little confused about the first couple of points tho - you can just mash light punch to get a launcher, or you can press the specific buttons and get the same launcher?

I'm hoping they will allow us to choose for me i think the classic shoryuken motion is easier and faster than teabagging twice to do it lol.

I'm ok with simplifying inputs as long as the game engine itself has plenty of complexity for coming up with combos based on timing and spacing.

Marvel 3 barely had any inputs more complex than a quarter circle motion but it was the timing that made things difficult.

Even high level looking stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3ziUx6eMo

Is basically just timing of button presses and quarter circle motions.

Fraeon

You can likely mash light punch to get a complete combo that ends in a super like most modern fighters these days. Just that it means your combo scales far worse than it would if you did the inputs for real.

To be honest in a game like Marvel I wouldn't mind if they didn't scale hard and were actual valid combos since the community is going to find far more devastating combos anyway.

rexor0717

This seems fine to me. There is a big difference between optimized and unoptimized combos and being good at comboing is just part of the complete Mahvel package. There are so many dimensions outside of comboing for a good player to distinguish themselves.

I'm fine with most of these changes, Marvel is a very quick paced game with simplified motions already (QCF+2P for supers versus QCF,QCF+3P for level 3 supers). All the outrage is pretty silly and frankly seems like people trying to signal "hardcoreness". Particularly hilarious people decrying 2 button supers as if they hadn't existed in the series for the last freaking 17 years, pretty much showing how much they really care for the franchise.

You can likely mash light punch to get a complete combo that ends in a super like most modern fighters these days.

I don't think MVCI's string ends with a super, so in that sense is "weaker" than Persona's. What I'm somewhat confused is about what attacks are involved in the auto-string. Would those be the same as in the "magic series" (LP -> LP -> HP -> HK)? Since they've made a point to exchange HP with HK to make it more easy to perform it would seem the LP autocombo and the magic series are their own separate things.

From the sounds of it, I have preferred to see the traditional 6 button attack system return. I especially hate the concept mashing one button to perform auto-combos. I like the honesty, familiarity and challenge of what vs games used to be, when it comes to controls.
I'd also hate to see SRK motions get taken out.

Anne

Persona 4 Arena basically already did all of this (down to excluding DP inputs) and everything turned out pretty great for that game. If they tune autocombos similar to how that game does that will be kinda fun to mess with.

That game is the best example of simplifying a control scheme and making a fighting game have large amounts of depth not related to combo execution.

vocab

Glad to see MvCI adopting MvC2's controls.

That's not really MVC2's control scheme unless hitting lp twice nets you a MP. If this game actually used that system a majority of people would dislike it 100%, especially in a post SF4 world.

This all seems fine to me as long as it's still fun.

Expert players are still going to plumb the game's depth to get every ounce of high-level play out of it. While everyone else just wants to do cool shit.

Top Bottom