• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA needs to see demand to put Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch

Thores

I'd been thinking lately about how the Switch library right now could use some high quality indie RPGs, and what instantly came to mind was Cosmic Star Heroine. A very professional, nostalgic looking game that very clearly has a lot of love put into it. It's a game that I think would go absolutely perfectly with the Switch's portability, so I did some research on the likelihood of that happening and found these recent tweets:

dm3uWXf.png

sT0d44f.png

As we've seen, Nintendo has been very selective about which indie ports to allow on their platform. Games like Stardew Valley and Yooka-Laylee have been allowed because there has been a clear demand for them. I see this twitter post made a couple days ago, with less than a hundred likes and barely 50 retweets, and think that something HAS to be wrong. I am POSITIVE that if more people know about the idea of this cool RPG getting a Switch release, there would be waaaay more support for it. Especially considering the positive reception CSH seems to have gotten on NeoGAF specifically.

So if you're like me and wanna see Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch, please REBLOG AND/OR REPLY TO THIS TWITTER POST. If there are other/better ways to make Nintendo aware of demand, someone please let me know and I'll put it in the OP.

If this thread isn't okay to make, I apologize and please feel free to lock. I just feel this is too newsworthy to stay in the month-old official thread, and I feel like folks will be interested now that more people have beaten Persona 5.

EDIT:More details from Robert Boyd, the creator of CSH.
Thanks everybody for all the support.

Just to clarify a few things:

I don't want to get too specific, but some of our communications with Nintendo make it sound like we just have to wait and eventually they'll get to us, while others make it sound like we need to prove there is enough demand for the game before they'll greenlight it.

The game doesn't have much of a Metacritic presence because we were late in getting review codes out & the game was somewhat buggy at launch. We've been supporting the game with patches so that's not really a problem now (and would definitely not be a problem with a port). Current user score on Steam is 90% and 4.5/5 stars on the NA Playstation store.

I've been trying to get a devkit from Nintendo since the initial teaser video last year so it's not like we waited until the last minute.

We do have a very brief console exclusivity window with Sony. Again, this is mostly a moot point since the exclusivity window is so short & we'd have to spend time porting the thing anyway.

Nintendo has never suggested to us that we add Switch-exclusive content to the game in order to get it approved.

Although the game may look like just a retro RPG, I happen to think that the turn-based combat system we're using is very innovative. I've seen many comments from players stating that it's one of the best combat systems they've ever seen.

A big reason why we want the game on Switch (besides the idea that we think even with a later port, the Switch would probably be one of our best selling platforms) is because we want to be able to release any future games on Switch on Day 1.

LewieP

Bizarre stance from Nintendo. I get that they don't want to allow all games on their platform, but whoever is making these decisions should be someone a bit more informed about indie games.

Bizarre stance from Nintendo. I get that they don't want to allow all games on their platform, but whoever is making these decisions should be someone a bit more informed about indie games.

It probably has to do with WiiU having bad quality control on Eshop.

Although they definitely shouldn't be like this for most ports.

@MUWANdo

Banned

They have limited bandwidth right now, for better or for worse, and this game simply isn't innovative or sufficiently hyped to make the cut right now.

The same was said of N++, a n unquestionably good game with an established pedigree that didn't sell a whole lot on PS4 or Steam--it's not that it's bad or is otherwise unworthy of being on Switch, it's that they're focusing on games that can launch on Switch in tandem with other platforms and maybe sell hardware in the process (not that their early picks have necessarily done that, mind you).

They let absolute dogshit like Vroom in the Night Sky up on the Eshop, but they don't want a good indie RPG. Ok Nintendo.

hawk2025

They have limited bandwidth right now, for better or for worse, and this game simply isn't innovative or sufficiently hyped to make the cut right now.

The same was said of N++, a n unquestionably good game with an established pedigree that didn't sell a whole lot on PS4 or Steam--it's not that it's bad or is otherwise unworthy of being on Switch, it's that they're focusing on games that can launch on Switch in tandem with other platforms and maybe sell hardware in the process (not that their early picks have necessarily done that, mind you).

It's a bunch of bullshit, to be blunt.

CSH is better than pap like I Am Setsuna by a country mile.

DKL

Even if it doesn't make it on to Switch, I'm aware of the game now and can get on PC lol

THANKS FAM

notaskwid

Nintendo is trying to scalp developers 🤔

It's a rather strange thing to say on a system that has like 3 or 4 exclusives so far.

UberTag

I'm still waiting on my promised Vita port.
I'd prefer to have this game on Switch... but if it comes out on neither, well... let's just say I need some handheld love to give Zeboyd my money.

Nintendo is so full of hypocrisy. They say ports aren't their priority yet their first two blockbusters on Switch were Wii U ports. And the biggest 3rd party title they have been hyping since day 0 has been a Skyrim port.

Nintendo is so full of hypocrisy. They say ports aren't their priority yet their first two blockbusters on Switch were Wii U ports. And the biggest 3rd party title they have been hyping since day 0 has been a Skyrim port.

You mean games that have intrinsic and visible demand and also none of those are indie games.

Chindogg

You can port a game as long as you add some sort of Switch exclusive functionality. It's meant to keep the rushed garbage off the Switch eShop.

UberTag

I'm sure Minecraft is selling gangbusters this weekend and it too is a port. Was at one time an indie title, too. Perhaps Zeboyd needs to throw in some custom Metroid skins for their characters and tack a "Deluxe" or "Nintendo Switch Edition" onto the end of it in order for NoA to wake up and grow a brain.

Neiteio

Not to suggest this is "right" or "fair," but maybe that's precisely why they're limiting ports from other companies — to not make the whole system look more like a port machine than it already is, between its marquee first-party titles and the upcoming Skyrim.

duckroll

Ports aren't a priority, unless you are Blaster Master Zero, or Shovel Knight, or Stardew Valley, or Minecraft, or Snake Pass, or Mario Kart 8, or Puyo Puyo Tetris, or Skyrim. Yes we absolutely wouldn't want to create the impression that there are too many ports on the Switch. Nope.

Sancitoned port begging, how will neogaf mods survive

Let us worry about it. Brb, RTing.

:)

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Sorry to be picky, but Nintendo has not said ports aren't a priority.

What they have shown is that they are being selective of the ports offered, and that they value original content to coincide with any release of a port.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That's probably because Poisoft was already an established japanese eShop developer that made a few cheaper games for the 3DS.

Pretty much. The number of Japanese indie studios with a consistent eShop presence isn't as high as one might imagine, so they took what they could get.

Their criteria right now has been:
-publishers that can deliver multiple games in quick succession
-publishers/devs that can launch new games on Switch in tandem with other platforms (ie not late ports of games released elsewhere)
-publishers/devs that already have an "in" with indie relations people at NOA/NOE

It also seems that NOE has been far more proactive about courting indie devs/publishers for the launch window than NOA--maybe they had more resources to spare, maybe it's another of the many instances where NOE mimics NCL's protocol and NOA does their own thing that doesn't work as well, I have no idea. (EDIT: I've also heard NOA's constrained with regards to dev hardware but there's no way to prove that either way, maybe they really are just being stingy.)

They're going to loosen up at the end of the year, or so I've heard.

I see where you are getting at but those aren't indie games.

Instro

Nintendo fans having to beg to get a game released that the developer is wanting to port. Great stuff Nintendo. People are on here defending what amounts to parity clause type shit.

Spman2099

Nice to see that Nintendo is still fostering positive relationships with talent both big and small. Their endless strive to secure quality games on their platforms is why the N64, Game Cube, Nintendo Wii, and Wii-U were all jam packed with excellent third party releases...

>_>

Nice to see that Nintendo is still fostering positive relationships with talent both big and small. Their endless strive to secure quality games on their platforms is why the N64, Game Cube, Nintendo Wii, and Wii-U were all jam packed with excellent third party releases...

>_>

Not to defend their position but Eshop on the WiiU was filled with trash.

massoluk

Banned

Come on, I concurred with the statement below. It sucks for indie that got left out, but those other games are proven critically and financially
You mean games that have intrinsic and visible demand and also none of those are indie games.

Instro

And if they allowed shit like The Letter on Switch you'd have people asking Nintendo to filter releases better. There's no winning.

I'm pretty sure there are several steps in between allowing everything, and their current terrible policy that stops quality releases from happening on the platform.

If you don't get the difference between 2 expanded versions of their most ambitious, prestigious and best games on one hand...

...and opening the floodgates to allow literally each and every insignificant years old indieport (not refering to KSH here) on their system, then I don't know what to tell you.

hawk2025

I'm trying to outline why it's happening, I never said I like it or that there's any evidence it's even helping Nintendo at all.

You said:

"this game simply isn't innovative or sufficiently hyped to make the cut right now."

This game's combat systems is more innovative than 90% of the Switch's library right now.

You are not outlining things accurately. Nintendo is waving the hands with a bunch of nonsense and you are trying to read tea leaves and impose logic on it.

They are simply handling indie devs in an incompetent, abrasive manner with little rhyme or reason.

NateDrake

I'm pretty sure there are several steps in between allowing everything, and their current terrible policy that stops quality releases from happening on the platform.
It seems they want exclusive content or new content from ports to provide customers with an incentive to buy. Not just a late port of a game available elsewhere.

hongcha

For portable gamers, the Vita port is coming soon, and if you already bought the PS4 version, it's free. Switch version would be cool too, but the devs have said that'll be released long after the Vita version, if they ever get a dev kit.

hawk2025

It seems they want exclusive content or new content from ports to provide customers with an incentive to buy. Not just a late port of a game available elsewhere.

Again -- A parity clause. The same arrogant crap Microsoft tried to pull, and were understandably raked over the coals for.

It is beyond baffling to me that Nintendo would reject any games coming to the Switch really. Surely they would want lots of third party support and a robust library?

It's ok, I'm sure we will all enjoy the 12th super-curated Neo Geo game coming out next week.

I have the PS4 version and it's a fantastic game. It tickles my nostalgia for classic sprite-based JRPGs like Lunar, Chrono Trigger and also pre-PS3 era Gust games, while also having a surprisingly great battle system and some humorous dialog. The music and short animated cutscenes are a joy as well.

It is beyond baffling to me that Nintendo would reject any games coming to the Switch really. Surely they would want lots of third party support and a robust library?

DR2K

Banned
If you don't get the difference between 2 expanded versions of their most ambitious, prestifious and best games on one hand...

...and opening the floodgates to allow literally each and every insignificant years old indieport (not refering to KSH here), then I don't know what to tell you.

You don't thinks there's a middle more sensible route they can go here?

Top Bottom