• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA needs to see demand to put Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch

Zedark

Demand isnt the issues from what i can tell....but limited resources. At some point Nintendo probably realized that alot of games schedules for Switch are ports - which isnt bad...but if they have to chose i can see why they prefer more original/exclusive content (for now).
That's quite possible, but as Duckroll said, now would have been a great moment to have staffed up in this department. At the end of the day I don't want good games to get shafted, be it for a longer period of time or indefinitely, so Nintendo needs to sort this out.

Valkyria

Banned
Poor Nintendo, just a small company without resources. I love the duality of Nintendo, when is needed is a company without resources, but at the same time it's a behemoth with a war chest to continue operating for another 50 years.
It always has a pass in the eyes of their fans. Puffff

This is bullshit. If they wanna step up their game they have to move into the 21 century and see what other people are doing. They have a successful story right in front their eyes with Sony and PS4 (and also Vita). They made the indies part of their value preposition and were used to fill gaps in the catalog and release windows.

Veitsev

Poor Nintendo, just a small company without resources. I love the duality of Nintendo, when is needed is a company without resources, but a the same time it's a behemoth with a war chest to continue operating for another 50 years.

This is bullshit. If they wanna step up their game the has to move into the 21 century and see what other people are doing. The have a successful story right in front their eyes with Sony and PS4 (and also Vita) made the indies part of their value preposition and were used to fill gaps in the catalog and release windows.

The system has been out 2 months

Zeboyd is a tiny developer and CSH is largely unknown niche title

Maybe give it some time?

jonno394

Poor Nintendo, just a small company without resources. I love the duality of Nintendo, when is needed is a company without resources, but at the same time it's a behemoth with a war chest to continue operating for another 50 years.

This is bullshit. If they wanna step up their game they have to move into the 21 century and see what other people are doing. They have a successful story right in front their eyes with Sony and PS4 (and also Vita). They made the indies part of their value preposition and were used to fill gaps in the catalog and release windows.

Nintendo are making Indies a huge part of the Switch, but they understandably see more value in new titles or titles with exclusive hooks. For many, the thought of a simple port of a few games isn't going to sell them on a switch, but exclusive games or new additions to old classic indies might do.

I can sort of understand their reasoning, but can't say I 100% agree with them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's quite possible, but as Duckroll said, now would have been a great moment to have staffed up in this department. At the end of the day I don't want good games to get shafted, be it for a longer period of time or indefinitely, so Nintendo needs to sort this out.

Do we know they arent hiring more people ? Also staffing up alot for a couple of weeks doesnt change the fact that they want to focus on new/exclusives in the early months. They already have a bunch of Switch indie content lined up so its not like they went out of their way just to spite them.

I also dont understand why we act as if these games will never be able to come to the Switch - they just wont happen in the next couple weeks because of what they already have lined up.

Cosmis Star Hero is out on PS and Steam....if you REALLY wanna play it there is an option. Unless you are Switch only...then you have to wait.

Except that makes them The Satan, apparently.

We dont wanna know how GAF would react if Nintendo had opened the floodgates from day 1....and some devs would drop 10 games ala Meme Run at ones just make a quick buck. The approach has pro and cons like everything...but so far i cant complain about the Indie Switch release schedule. I really like that most games get their Week to shine in the Spotlight...have 20 games from devs perform well in the first 3 months is more worth than having 100 games perform subpar because of the competition, low installed based and being mostly quick cash-in to profit from the Switch hype.

GAF is really acting as if other console launches had +100 Indie games available on their stores a couple weeks/months after release. But as always for Switch the expectations are different.

This happens at every console launch - every first party has a priority list. You cant expect the same treatment as EA or other indies that have approached Nintendo earlier or have had past success. This is business as usual.

The main issue is that Switch is performing way better than most people expected and we hear about Indie games performing rather well...so its understandable that some devs wanna publish games on the system as quick as possible - considering their isnt a lot competition right now. So yeah from a dev point of view of someone who hasnt a Switch release already lined up...it kinda sucks.

jariw

Ports aren't a priority, unless you are Blaster Master Zero, or Shovel Knight, or Stardew Valley, or Minecraft, or Snake Pass, or Mario Kart 8, or Puyo Puyo Tetris, or Skyrim. Yes we absolutely wouldn't want to create the impression that there are too many ports on the Switch. Nope.

None of the indie games you mention are late ports with no additional content.

Blaster Master Zero - released on the Switch at the same time as on that other console release.

Snake Pass - released on the Switch at the same time as on all other consoles.

Shovel Knight - time-limited content first released on the Switch.

Stardew Valley - multiplayer appears on the Switch first.

Minecraft - a system-selling caliber type of game, with the Mario world and skins as extra.

The rest are physical releases. Does Nintendo really refuse these kind of games, given the additional costs for physical releases?

And you're saying that the Switch doesn't do that? Personally, I'm very happy with the indie releases on the Switch released so far. The state of the eShop front end is another matter, OTOH...

Nintendo are making Indies a huge part of the Switch, but they understandably see more value in new titles or titles with exclusive hooks. For many, the thought of a simple port of a few games isn't going to sell them on a switch, but exclusive games or new additions to old classic indies might do.

I can sort of understand their reasoning, but can't say I 100% agree with them.

Most indie developers aren't drowning in resources or money, and games like this one (single player, rpg) don't particularly lend well to significant exclusive enhancements so I'm at a loss as to what Nintendo's legitimate expectations are from these tiny studios.

Poor show Nintendo, your new platform is in desperate need for games and you've got a history of having terrible 3rd party support and yet you're turning away quality titles just because they aren't a big enough name. But don't worry, keep focusing on those Neo Geo roms, those are real high priority.

jonno394

Most indie developers aren't drowning in resources or money, and games like this one (single player, rpg) don't particularly lend well to significant exclusive enhancements so I'm at a loss as to what Nintendo's legitimate expectations are from these tiny studios.

They expect them to wait 6/9/12 months while they give priority to those titles that in their opinion will make the Switch a more attractive prospect? (ie exclusives, exclusive content etc)

It's a bunch of bullshit, to be blunt.

CSH is better than pap like I Am Setsuna by a country mile.

Probably two different teams courting different development. I am Setsuna would have been NCL in Japan, and so was Thumper, it's a port of a critically acclaimed rhythm game, but we know from the developers that they were approached at Bitsummit last year by NCL.

Still, it's evident that the Switch's release schedule has been highly curated in its launch window, which is a good thing, but it makes you wonder when the next wave of software will land. Nintendo is committing to releasing at least 1 quality game a week, but if I remember correctly the first wave of software from the Nindies Showcase lasts until Fall. If that's the case, maybe they plan to open the floodgates after then, but you'd think they'd start doing it now to ensure the games are ready by Fall?

Zedark

They expect them to wait 6/9/12 months while they give priority to those titles that in their opinion will make the Switch a more attractive prospect? (ie exclusives, exclusive content etc)
That would speak imo to a faulty view of the value of indies. They could very well get those new releases along with ports of older well-received indies, which would make the value proposition even beter than just with new indies. There shouldn't be a need for an either/or approach to this degree, unless they lack the staff to properly assess the situation, in which case they should get to hiring more staff really quickly. At this point, it almost seems like they are regarding any non-enhanced indie port as shovelware.

cw_sasuke

I am Setsuna is a SE title - SE was probably one the first publishers to receive Switch kits, it also was one of the first Unity titles running on the system - considering how much unity/mobile development SE has going right now its a no-brainer .You are out of your mind if you think that any Indie will be able to get the same treatment as one of their biggest publishers.

Oregano

I am Setsuna is a SE title - SE was probably one the first publishers to receive Switch kits, it also was one of the first Unity titles running on the system - considering how much unity/mobile development SE has going right now its a no-brainer .You are out of your mind if you think that any Indie will be able to get the same treatment as one of their biggest publishers.

Apparently I am Setsuna was actually the first Switch game submitted to lotcheck.

Fiendcode

Given the volume of indie games announced I'd say they have staffed up. Even though Switch is still in a curation phase there's a ton of indie games coming. It's even more packed than the early days of PS4 and XB1 for indies, and both of those also started with curation programs it's worth pointing out. Same for Wii, Wii U and 3DS.

Conan-san

We dont wanna know how GAF would react if Nintendo had opened the floodgates from day 1....and some devs would drop 10 games ala Meme Run at ones just make a quick buck. The approach has pro and cons like everything...but so far i cant complain about the Indie Switch release schedule. I really like that most games get their Week to shine in the Spotlight...have 20 games from devs perform well in the first 3 months is more worth than having 100 games perform subpar because of the competition, low installed based and being mostly quick cash-in to profit from the Switch hype.

GAF is really acting as if other console launches had +100 Indie games available on their stores a couple weeks/months after release. But as always for Switch the expectations are different.

This happens at every console launch - every first party has a priority list. You cant expect the same treatment as EA or other indies that have approached Nintendo earlier or have had past success. This is business as usual.

The main issue is that Switch is performing way better than most people expected and we hear about Indie games performing rather well...so its understandable that some devs wanna publish games on the system as quick as possible - considering their isnt a lot competition right now. So yeah from a dev point of view of someone who hasnt a Switch release already lined up...it kinda sucks.
No no, I agree with you. Hence "Apprently" (and the use of "The Satan",) I get that some of the things that have been hitched by this sucks but, FFS, you can get N litteraly anywhere else and for as good as free.

I mean would I like Invisagun Heroes on the Switch? OH BOY WOULD I EVER WANT THAT ON THE SWITCH, but an indy game with no groundswell like that has no chance in hell right now and Zeboyd, even with the work they've done, still are sort of tier 3 right now.

Tweeted at them.
Seriously, this is one of the few RPGs I've been looking forward to since it was announced and I would love to play it on the go.
It's really a shame to see Nintendo ignoring ports when they have an amazing machine that needs more titles. I got a number of games and want more quality content like Cosmic Star.
Hell, imagine how well this game could do with such a large user base craving more titles?

Tbh, I might as well just get the PC version until Nintendo gets their act together. :/

Veitsev

Poor show Nintendo, your new platform is in desperate need for games and you've got a history of having terrible 3rd party support and yet you're turning away quality titles just because they aren't a big enough name. But don't worry, keep focusing on those Neo Geo roms, those are real high priority.

Yeah can't imagine how Metal Slug, Fatal Fury, KOF, would get priority.

Zedark

Given the volume of indie games announced I'd say they have staffed up. Even though Switch is still in a curation phase there's a ton of games coming. It's even more packed than the early days of PS4 and XB1 for indies, and both of those also started with curation programs it's worth pointing out. Same for Wii, Wii U and 3DS.
That's interesting about the PS4/XB1 curation, I didn't know that. Maybe I am being a bit too demanding in this case, it's just that games like CSH (and several other types of games as well) is such a natural fit for a handheld system that I want to get them on Switch. It's a bit frustrating to see that blocks by what amounts to bureaucratic impedance.

Shiggy

The problem is that other systems had more going than one indie game a week and old NeoGeo titles, whereas the Switch currently doesn't have much else outside of those and Nintendo's own titles. So one would at least expect them to try securing full indie support to expand their library.

Fiendcode

That's interesting about the PS4/XB1 curation, I didn't know that. Maybe I am being a bit too demanding in this case, it's just that games like CSH (and several other types of games as well) is such a natural fit for a handheld system that I want to get them on Switch. It's a bit frustrating to see that blocks by what amounts to bureaucratic impedance.
Yeah I agree with you. I feel like Cosmic Star Heroine and Axiom Verge are both games that should've been fast tracked for Switch. Like I said it seems a bit like both just slipped through the cracks and that's too bad. I hope they can still make it.

iiicon

If Nintendo doesn't think ports should be a priority, maybe Nintendo should have reached out much earlier to provide support for a game that's primed to have success on their system.

Drek

Once again proving that the reason 3rd parties don't support the Switch simply comes down to how Nintendo has treated them for decades.

The major 3rd party players have long since moved on and now won't even entertain worshiping at that altar, hence why the Wii sold truckloads and got mediocre 3rd party support outside of party games and token ports it's whole life. The Switch will likely experience the exact same thing.

I thought easy porting of games like this is why the system was built on a stock Tegra X1. I mean, Zeboyd could have the thing ported faster than they'll get a Vita version out, then in all likelihood Nintendo just needs someone to play through it as PC codebase to Tegra X1 should be damn near a 1:1 transition.

It's great that they have so many apologists out there willing to run free damage control and buy everything they put out though. Enabling behavior is the best way to ensure it continues.

Fiendcode

The problem is that other systems had more going than one indie game a week and old NeoGeo titles, whereas the Switch currently doesn't have much else outside of those and Nintendo's own titles. So one would at least expect them to try securing full indie support to expand their library.
Sure, they had 360 ports.

Kureransu

I get what Nintendo is trying to do, they are trying to create a library early on with content that you can on experience in the Switch, which is good for the users. In order to not pick favorites, Nintendo set up this "clause" of no straight ports. Got it. Makes sense.

However, there are a couple of steps that would have helped make this not leave such a sour taste in everyone's mouth, and it all boils down to just proper communication. I don't think any of the indie devs actually mind that there is a "no straight port" clause in effect in the system's infancy, but it would be nice to get:

a time line of when they will transition into strait ports.

release dev kits to them now, just with a hold on when the game can be released

Just a better line of communication with these devs, so they don't feel like second rate citizens after being dedicated to you platforms for so many years. Some don't have the resources to put "exclusive" content in their game to get past the clause, so just talk to them, so they can talk to their fans , and everyone will be happy.

With the exception of the neogeo and the tomorrow corp's trio of games, I don't think there is a port (ie a game already available on another console BEFORE it was released on switch. Even sf2 and disgea 5 have extra content. So nintendo is doing a almost good job of supporting this across the board. But please, just talk to the smaller guys before you lose their respect and support altogether. it's something you can't afford to do nintendo.

The fact that this and games like N++ need to have expressed demand to get on switch but garbage like Vroom in the Night Sky doesn't is fucking beyond me.

Fiendcode

Isn't Switch getting its own Tales game?
It's getting a Tales of game this fiscal year but we have no idea what it is.

The fact that this and gmaes like N++ needs to have expressed demand to get on switch but garbage like Vroom in the Night Sky doesn't is fucking beyond me.
Poisoft goes through Japan and put out a bunch of 3DS and Wii games through the years. Maybe CSH just needs to get to Bitsummit?

Apathy

It seems they want exclusive content or new content from ports to provide customers with an incentive to buy. Not just a late port of a game available elsewhere.

Wait is that true? If it is isn't it that pretty much Microsoft's policy GAF gets angry at all the time (and rightfully so)? Because it really seems like double standards if people that bitch at ms for it but give Nintendo a pass because "they just launched give them time".

cw_sasuke

No no, I agree with you. Hence "Apprently" (and the use of "The Satan",) I get that some of the things that have been hitched by this sucks but, FFS, you can get N litteraly anywhere else and for as good as free.

I mean would I like Invisagun Heroes on the Switch? OH BOY WOULD I EVER WANT THAT ON THE SWITCH, but an indy game with no groundswell like that has no chance in hell right now and Zeboyd, even with the work they've done, still are sort of tier 3 right now.

Same here - this game looks interesting and i will get it on Switch when it releases in a couple months. But i wont loose my head because of it releasing a bit later either....enough time to work on some new features/content to even attract double dippers.

They secured indie support. Thats like saying Sony doesnt have support from japanese 3rdParty because Monster Hunter stayed on 3DS - come on now. Its the same way with your "Switch-tax" on games....you get 1-2 examples and act like its the norm for everyone. I would understand the stance if Nintendo was outright refusing them to release games or publish something even though they have dev-kits.

From what i understand the dev-kits are still limited and their focus are exclusives/originals for the time being - nothing more or less.

For the time being, it doesn't even look like publishers care much about those on Switch outside of LA Noire, FIFA, and Skyrim.

...i forgot..what doesnt count again at this point ? Last list i had was Nintendo Games, Games from japanese publishers, Indie titles...is that still the correct list of titles that doesnt count when discussing Software output on Switch ? :)

Nintendo is so full of hypocrisy. They say ports aren't their priority yet their first two blockbusters on Switch were Wii U ports. And the biggest 3rd party title they have been hyping since day 0 has been a Skyrim port.

They want new indie games, ports or exclusives, not ports of old and unsuccessful indie games.

Y'all stanning for a fucking parity clause in 2017.

Think about that.
It really is strange to see people defending this when MS got slammed for a similar parity clause. Switch could use all the help it can get on the software end and I'd definitely be down for a good RPG. Somehow they'd rather have I am Setsuna lol

This 'port clause' is weird and I don't think it really exists as well, it is a priority thing I think.
Somehow they'd rather have I am Setsuna lol
It has an exclusive mode for the Switch, and it's made and published by SE, really?

They want new indie games, ports or exclusives, not ports of old and unsuccessful indie games.
Harsh, but it does look like this game falls under the 'unsucsessful' umbrella (I had to look up what the game is).
even if Stardew Valley doesn't have anything new in the Switch version, it was a huge success and is based on a franchise that sold well on Nintendo systems before. It's financial return is guaranteed.

On topic, I made a reply to the tweet Op.

Shiggy

They secured indie support. Thats like saying Sony doesnt have support from japanese 3rdParty because Monster Hunter stayed on 3DS - come on now. Its the same way with your "Switch-tax" on games....you get 1-2 examples and act like its the norm for everyone. I would understand the stance if Nintendo was outright refusing them to release games or publish something even though they have dev-kits.

From what i understand the dev-kits are still limited and their focus are exclusives/originals for the time being - nothing more or less.

They secured indie support, but their current library would benefit from releases. It's great if they have games later this year, but even you as the defending knight of the great Switch library cannot really dispute that the current lineup could use some more games.

Concerning Switch game prices, you may want to check the costs for the Switch cards as we have information on that now.

...i forgot..what doesnt count again at this point ? Last list i had was Nintendo Games, Games from japanese publishers, Indie titles...is that still the correct list of titles that doesnt count when discussing Software output on Switch ? :)

I didn't know Nintendo and Japanese publishers were porting 360 titles. I didn't even know that Nintendo had released anything on the 360. Keep trying ;)

gtj1092

How can we be sure this is a good game without the Nintendo seal of quality? Hard to believe anyone has even played this game let alone completed due to its lack of portability. I trust Nintendo to do what's best for me.

cw_sasuke

The system is like 90% ports. I don't think there's a real parity clause despite the response Zeboyd got.

Thats the thing - most ports have been greenlighted a while ago and these partners already devkits for a while through their relations or Publishers. Also not every port is the same. Getting I am Setsuna and Snakepass on the system early was helpful for demonstrating Unity/UE4 running on Switch.

If Zeboyd Games has Switch dev kits and Nintendo prevents them from releasing Cosmis Star....okay then im wrong and thats a shitty thing to do. But if Nintendo has limited ressources of dev kits right now and choose to provide them to devs that are working on new/exclusive game ideas that use the Joycons/HD Rumble etc - i cant really blame them.

cw_sasuke

Sry DP.

They secured indie support, but their current library would benefit from releases. It's great if they have games later this year, but even you as the defending knight of the great Switch library cannot really dispute that the current lineup could use some more games.

Concerning Switch game prices, you may want to check the costs for the Switch cards as we have information on that now.

I never said that Switch wouldnt benefit from a game like Cosmic Star - i would buy it. But if the ressources are limited, i can understand why they would focus on new exclusives from now on instead of ports that got released on other systems a couple weeks ago.

Fiendcode

I was under the impression even if Zeboyd had gotten devkits CSH wouldn't be ready for release until later. I can understand how it wouldn't make sense for a small indie to commit their game to a multiplat release before getting hardware but that's probably what it would've taken to make the port happen right now. Sort of a catch 22.

The current Switch lineup could always use more games but it's pretty heavy with indies already. It has almost double the released indie games that PS4 did at this point in it's lifecycle.

big_z

The system is like 90% ports. I don't think there's a real parity clause despite the response Zeboyd got.

You are correct it's not a parity clause. The whole Nintendo being selective thing was covered by Nintendo on a podcast fairly recently, might have been Nintendo voice chat but cant remember for sure. Basically the rep said aren't opening the flood gates yet because they aren't ready. They are focusing on games that they feel fit the system well or there's a demand for while they build the platform that works best for both customer and developer. They want to avoid a deluge of turdware that other services suffer from making it hard for good games to get noticed.

Oregano

It's probably worth noting that Cosmic Star Heroine (likely) has a timed exclusive deal with Sony in exchange for marketing support.

Nintendo can be so stupid sometimes, like this time or axiom verge. Come on, they accept shitty EA ports and act like douches with some indies.
The worst enemy of Nintendo is Nintendo themselves...

There is no parity clause, just Nintendo being selective early in their new platform's life after a couple of disastrous indie outings, and only Nintendo really knows the criteria for who does and doesn't get into the launch club. Everyone can't be top priority, and unfortunately, not everybody can handle that.

LordRaptor

Sony and MS both also have curated storefronts - if you didn't want curated storefronts you fuckers shouldn't whine about Steam, mobile and the WiiUs indie support

massoluk

Banned
Some people think Nintendo are smug asshole with no clue, I just think they are incompetent with not enough staffs or resources

Top Bottom