• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland (Spider-Man) To Play Young Nathan Drake in Uncharted Movie

Penguin

A most interesting development

http://deadline.com/2017/05/tom-hol...-spider-man-homecoming-shawn-levy-1202099530/

Sony Pictures is bullish enough on its upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming star Tom Holland that the studio is doubling down on the young actor by building a second major franchise around him. Holland is attaching to star in Uncharted, in what will be redrafted as a prequel to the treasure hunting action story line in the Naughty Dog video game for PlayStation. Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan.

Didn't know where to put this.

Link.

Sony Pictures is bullish enough on its upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming star Tom Holland that the studio is doubling down on the young actor by building a second major franchise around him. Holland is attaching to star in Uncharted, in what will be redrafted as a prequel to the treasure hunting action story line in the Naughty Dog video game for PlayStation. Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan. This reformulation of the franchise was an inspiration of Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman after seeing the latest cut of the Spider-Man film, sources said. The studio has tried for years with various directors to get this video game to launch a franchise, with past scripts from Joe Carnahan, David Guggenheim and Eric Warren Singer. Sony Pictures will now set a new scribe to draft the story line that captures the protagonist as he grows into the treasure hunter Nathan Drake who made the game a top seller. Uncharted is produced by Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner and Ari Arad.

feel like i'm in the minority on this but I don't like Holland at all. Just has one of those smug, punchable faces. Not a fan of him as Peter Parker either.

I can see the resemblance ...

Hhh.JPG

Boke1879

A nice pick honestly. He's definitely going to be more visible after Spiderman.

Also having this be a prequel sounds good to if done right.

mclem

I've got to stop confusing Tom Holland with Tom Hollander. Who is of course even more Tom Holland than Tom Holland.

I wonder if there's a Tom Hollandest out there.

LewieP

Well we know he can do the acrobatics, but can he say "no no no no no no no no no no no"?

Edit: Is there really a producer called Ari Arad?

Edit2: Jeffrey Dean Morgan for Sully.

Simo

Meh. Lets take a dull sequence from the worst entry in the series and make a movie out of that!

Easy pass. lol

Sure! He's a charismatic young dude. I'd rather him than someone too old (Fillion, Wahlberg, etc). Since they're starting with prequel/flashback Era Drake, I think it gives him time to grow more into the role.

Besides, casting an actor just based on how much they look like the character would be a shit way to do it.

ShadyK54

tenor.gif

A prequel about young Drake is an interesting way to go about this movie. Curious what it will look like (if it gets made).

Boke1879

Sounds like the whole thing is a prequel and Young Drake.

[sarcasm] But hey, it worked with Star Wars and Young Anakin, right? [/sarcasm]

3 movies that did well.

Not to mention this isn't even the same situation. The general audience doesn't know enough about Uncharted. If done right this could work. You're setting up a trilogy of movies.

firelogic

I don't think it'll work. It's fine if you put that sequence into an Uncharted movie but I don't know about starting off the franchise as young Drake. That's not really what Uncharted is and without Uncharted proper, there's no context. It was cool for gamers because we played as adult Drake for 2 full games and a little bit of 3 before getting to play as kid Drake. Starting the movies with young Drake could kill the franchise before people get to the meat of it.

mindsale

So they're adapting the worst parts of the saga for the feature film?

Great plan.

This will never get made.

Didn't take long for some "Uncharted 3 is shit" hive mind to emerge.

Pssssst, the criticisms come from thematically disparate locations and gameplay pacing, not the plot.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Lets see if this version of Uncharted actually gets off the ground unlike the other couple of versions.

Top Bottom