• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland (Spider-Man) To Play Young Nathan Drake in Uncharted Movie

jett

D-Member
He directed the films Big Fat Liar (2002), Just Married (2003), Cheaper by the Dozen (2003), The Pink Panther (2006), Night at the Museum (2006), Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009), Date Night (2010), Real Steel (2011), The Internship (2013), This Is Where I Leave You (2014) and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014)

aight then

But I do not mind them going this route. Better than the alternative.

Kurdel

Banned
I am calling it, the sequel will be a Ghostbusters cinematic universe crossover.

3 movies that did well.

Not to mention this isn't even the same situation. The general audience doesn't know enough about Uncharted. If done right this could work. You're setting up a trilogy of movies.

Oh yeah, you can definitely trust Sony's movie production division to not fuck this up.

zsynqx

Tom Holland .. isn't he like 5'8''? Drake is 6'1'' according to the interwebs ...

Lol so what. Drake being 6ft 1 isn't like an integral part of his character. I didn't even know his height before you mentioned it.

Anyway just looked at Shawn Levy's past filmography and yeah, not getting too excited for this one.

aight then

haha pretty much

Didn't take long for some "Uncharted 3 is shit" hive mind to emerge.

Pssssst, the criticisms come from thematically disparate locations and gameplay pacing, not the plot.
While those complaints hold true, the plot isn't great either.

But honestly, I'm not a fan of 'Young Drake' in Uncharted 4 either. Uncharted is best when it gets massively bombastic, and dealing with kids prevented them from dealing with any real danger. The results are sequences of very slow chapters in otherwise fast-paced action narratives.

Boke1879

I don't think it'll work. It's fine if you put that sequence into an Uncharted movie but I don't know about starting off the franchise as young Drake. That's not really what Uncharted is and without Uncharted proper, there's no context. It was cool for gamers because we played as adult Drake for 2 full games and a little bit of 3 before getting to play as kid Drake.

Movie audiences at large don't know anything about Uncharted. Holland will be more visible after his role in Spiderman and dude can act, be funny etc. The big thing about this is you have to get the chemistry and character interactions right.

I don't see why this wouldn't work instead of having and older Drake already doing his thing.

Also people gotta remember. They aren't going to adapt the games 1:1. They'll take the characters and probably some inspiration, but the back drop of the games is going on crazy adventures and finding/stealing treasure.

All you gotta really do is make sure the characters, their interactions and the chemistry is on point.

I mean, sure. Okay, separating it from the games is not a terrible idea and the Sully/Drake dynamic is one of the better things in the franchise.

3 movies that did well.

Not to mention this isn't even the same situation. The general audience doesn't know enough about Uncharted. If done right this could work. You're setting up a trilogy of movies.

Is that the barometer now? Movies can suck (the Star Wars prequels mostly sucked, with Episode III being the only decent one, and it still had issues), they just need to make a lot of money? Is that what we, the audience, want from an Uncharted movie? A piece of crap that does $1 billion worldwide?

Boke1879

I am calling it, the sequel will be a Ghostbusters cinematic universe crossover.

Oh yeah, you can definitely trust Sony's movie production division to not fuck this up.

That really doesn't matter. What matters is if you can get enough people to buy into this and have it make money.

Dominator

Hell yeah, great pick for what the story is going to be now if it's following when Drake and Sully met.

John Goodman for Sully now please.

Cardon

Guess this will be okay. Really depends on who ends up being Sully and what the chemistry will be like.

Boke1879

Is that the barometer now? Movies can suck (the Star Wars prequels mostly sucked, with Episode III being the only decent one, and it still had issues), they just need to make a lot of money? Is that what we, the audience, want from an Uncharted movie? A piece of crap that does $1 billion worldwide?

The Prequels aren't terrible. They didn't tank the Star Wars brand. People are still alive. The movies made money and there are a lot of people that grew up with them and loved them despite what an increasingly dwindling minority would say.

Also I don't how this movie being a "prequel" entry makes it instantly comparable to Star Wars.

firelogic

Movie audiences at large don't know anything about Uncharted. Holland will be more visible after his role in Spiderman and dude can act, be funny etc. The big thing about this is you have to get the chemistry and character interactions right.

I don't see why this wouldn't work instead of having and older Drake already doing his thing.

Also people gotta remember. They aren't going to adapt the games 1:1. They'll take the characters and probably some inspiration, but the back drop of the games is going on crazy adventures and finding/stealing treasure.

All you gotta really do is make sure the characters, their interactions and the chemistry is on point.

Yes the general audience doesn't know about Uncharted and that's where I think the problem comes in if you start with young Drake. The adult quippy swashbuckling murdering Drake is who gamers love and is what Uncharted is. The young Drake stuff was great too in 3 and 4 but that was only because it added more depth and backstory to the adult Drake that we already loved. Starting off with a kid might not be the best idea because if it doesn't click with audiences, they won't get a chance to get to another movie or two with adult Drake.

Edit:
As a weird example, we all know how cool John Wick is but if the creative team decided to start off John Wick's movie series with him as a younger, inexperienced assassin in training, and then worked up to him as the Boogeyman in subsequent films, that wouldn't have worked too well. Of course it didn't happen that way so who can say but if that first young John Wick movie bombed, we wouldn't have gotten to adult badass John Wick which is what the franchise is ultimately about.

I'm not looking for a 1:1 adaptation of one of the games or an amalgam of all 5 either because I already played them. I was hoping for an all new adventure with Drake, Sully, and Elena.

Alienous

As a Young Nathan Drake?

You know what, of all the ideas, I'll take this one. It places the movie as strictly supplementary to the games.

I wonder if Sam will make an appearance, haha.

True Fire

Sony Pictures is the worst studio in Hollywood. Creatively bankrupt. Totally inept. I recommend reading the Sony Hack to see how bad they are at their jobs.

daveo42

Banned
Prequel to the series and Tom Holland are both good choices. I still don't see this thing coming out of pre-production ever.

Boke1879

Yes the general audience doesn't know about Uncharted and that's where I think the problelm comes in if you start with young Drake. The adult quippy swashbuckling Drake is what gamers love and is what Uncharted is. The young Drake stuff was great too in 3 and 4 but that was only because it added more depth and backstory to the adult Drake that we already loved. Starting off with a kid might not be the best idea and if it doesn't click with audiences, they won't get a chance to get to another movie or two with adult Drake.

This is the movie universe though. You can start anywhere you like. It would be the same issue if he was already an adult. Nobody would know him either.

I think for a movie. Setting this up as the first time Drake and Sully met works. They still have their quips. Holland can clearly act. Now you just have to cast a good Sully. The games imo don't matter much in this respect as far as where they should start.

I think this is a great starting point.

I think going for young drake is a good idea, and Tom Holland isn't a bad choice. The concept doesn't look bad but am worried with the execution.

strafer

Brett Dalton as "old" drake

rs_1024x759-151208151906-1024-brett-dalton-agents-of-shield-abc.jpg

Tom Holland .. isn't he like 5'8''? Drake is 6'1'' according to the interwebs ...

I doubt they're going to be that precise with the casting that the chosen actor actually has to be the same height as whatever he's supposed to be on wiki or whatever. More importantly, if he's playing 'young' Drake, then he doesn't need to be his adult height. He's playing him at the age he was in Uncharted 3 which was,what, 13-15 years old?

i thought the uncharted movie was gonna be based on uncharted 4. that let the door open for that nathan fillion guy to take the who apparently every fuckin body wanted

iFirez

From the news and tidbits around this, it seems that they're reworking the entire movie to be a Young Drake movie rather than just having flashback sequences like in 3 and 4... I don't like this move at all. I loved the flashbacks mechanic and the grown up Drake is the real star but then finding out what he got up to earlier in his life via playable flashbacks was always super interesting. The movies should start in the past and word forward, they should be about Drake as an adult.

Top Bottom