• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland (Spider-Man) To Play Young Nathan Drake in Uncharted Movie

jediyoshi

I don't hate it, I think going in a younger direction helps remove the dissonance from the character we're already super familiar with in the games.

LeChuck

Banned
Sorry, but he is just way too ugly. Really not sure how he managed to snag this or spiderman.
Also too short and small to play grown up drake. He will never be believable in a fist fight for example.

aight then

But I do not mind them going this route. Better than the alternative.

Let's be honest, videogame movies at this point have an amazing ability to turn great directors into bad directors because they go out of their way to please fans. Look as Assassin's Creed. It's from a director whose previous works had received multiple best of nominations or awards for his direction. It also had an A list cast. Then look at Warcraft. Once again, another movie from a director with a great resume. Both ended up horribly.

At this point i'd say the resume isn't really that important for a director whose making a movie based on a game. The most important quality is that they have the ability to take the basic premise and try to make a good movie instead of trying to please fans of those franchises. It will always end in disaster. So, as you mentioned, this move is actually a good first step in that direction. They're taking a part of the Uncharted history that's barely been explored. That means the director has a lot more leeway to do what he wants as established relationships aside from Sully really don't exist for Drake during that period.

dl77

RDJ for Sullivan please

Just for the confusion

Nathan Fillion to really mess with people.

fillion-stache.jpg

But, what about big burly man Drake ;_;

Holland ain't a bad choice but by looks Sully is gonna have to carry the film, which was probably what was gonna hap anyway.

Eylos

Banned
After assassins Creed movie i have got a bad feeling about this movie.

What gives me a Little Hope is that Sony have more movie experience than Ubisoft.

Rhoc

I like this guy he very charismatic and talented. A bonus also is that he can do his stunts himself if he is needed to.

dl77

I like this guy he very charismatic and talented. A bonus also is that he can do his stunts himself if he is needed to.

I think you're probably overestimating how much he does beyond the odd flip and stretchy pose.

a916

I don't see it... I think Holland is a good actor and I'm really look forward to him playing Peter in highschool...

But he's playing Peter in school... Nathan Drake comes across as a 30 year old. This is like Topher Grace playing Venom.

Not really a fan of Holland, but I wonder how much of the movie will even have young Drake.
Probably the entirety? I'm guessing by casting a young Drake they're going with the idea of making this a proper franchise where we watch Nathan grow from a teenager into an adult who does this kind of treasure hunting thing on a regular basis.

Unison

Worst miscasting since Asian Emma Stone.

If you want to see Holland in the jungle, watch the last 15 minutes of Lost City of Z.

Pizza

He was terribad in civil war lol

Dude is so lucky people were hyped beyond reason for that movie. I'll take a small pleasure knowing he'll also be ruining someone else's favorite thing instead of just mine. Sony trying hard to ride the mahvel wave

I can't believe they trashed the whole script so they could chain Tom holland to another franchise

My friend met him irl and he's a nice guy though, so I'm glad he's getting work

ElfArmy177

Dear Sony. Making a movie with assumed sequels is always a terrible idea unless you REALLY know wtf you're doing. See Warcraft and the recent King Arthur as examples.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
feel like i'm in the minority on this but I don't like Holland at all. Just has one of those smug, punchable faces. Not a fan of him as Peter Parker either.

Nobody has a more punchable face than Tobey Maguire, NOBODY.

Probably the entirety? I'm guessing by casting a young Drake they're going with the idea of making this a proper franchise where we watch Nathan grow from a teenager into an adult who does this kind of treasure hunting thing on a regular basis.

Ehh, not sure I like the sound of that. It was done pretty well via flashbacks in the games.

I like Tom Holland as Spider-Man as much as the next guy, but this is terrible casting. Perhaps everyone is tired of him for being in everything, but I've always thought Chris Pratt would be perfect as Nate.

Oh wait, so the whole movie is Young Drake? Didn't expect that angle. Kind of weird to build a whole franchise off that, but maybe it's a good way to avoid trying to adapt the games 1:1.

a916

If he's only playing the young Drake in a flashback, it's a good cast. If they are going to do a young Drake for the entire movie... ehh..... hard pass.

Im okay with this, we already have 3 cinematic games with adult drake we dont need a movie based off of those, it would be redundant

Stiler

Wow, great idea! So instead of making an Indy 1, 2, or 3, they want to make a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Shame, a story focused on Drake as an adult could have been perfectly cast now too, with:

Jensen Ackles as Drake
5rBri77.gif

and Bruce Campbell as Sully,
PajFTBJ.gif

Harlequin

I'm okay with the prequel thing but the actor doesn't really look like Nate IMO. Also not a huge fan of them apparently changing the project's direction just to shoehorn him into it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As long as Mark Wahlberg isn't in it I'm good.

Lol. That's what my wife said. I agree.

Holland is a good choice for young Drake. Then get Jeffery Dean Morgan as young Sully, and it should be fine. Those two could probably bounce off of each other nicely.

Also, just because it's a prequel doesn't mean that there won't be exciting action sequences. I think Sony's plan is to launch with a popular young actor, and have him grow into the role in later movies, which would probably be adaptations of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves. Then hold off for about 8-10 years and do Thieve's End, when Holland is in his late thirties to early 40's. He's, what, 19-20 now? Do a Drake's Fortune when he's about 24, Among Thieves when he's 27, then shelve Thieve's End until he's 35-36? Then, for extra troll, have Mark Wahlberg play him during the Epilogue of Thieve's End. XD XD XD

When has that every stopped Sony Pictures in the past?

ghostbusters-2016-625x324.png

.., I mean a new Ghostbusters film as a whole, not the fact they cast an all female line up.

You haven't been paying attention or you are very young if you somehow think nobody's been asking for a new Ghostbusters movie at any point in the last 30 years and Sony just randomly got a bug up their ass to make a new one. The only person, it would seem, that didn't want a new one was Bill Murray. Especially considering Aykroyd wanted there to be / had ideas for six of them [movies].

Top Bottom