• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man who mowed lawn with tornado behind him says he 'was keeping an eye on it.'

Surfinn

uqwFYYB.jpg
Nice

cromofo

That's one of the most badass photos I've ever seen

I was thinking about the overall skyline looking better in a wider frame, but the "human being" part was being tongue-in-cheek.

Nah I think the vertical frame complemented the tornado vs man better. It throws you right into it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That tornado was probably 30 miles from where I live. If I was that guy I would have been in the basement for sure.

"Our whole street, everyone was on their back patios taking pictures," she said.

So there were a whole bunch of people being stupid, then.

tornadoes are not common in South Africa, but Theunis said he watched a TV program about storm chasers, so he's familiar with them.

"I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

This is the greatest picture. Probably some perspective trickery involved too, to be able to see the whole tornado in frame like that it must have been several miles away. If it was anywhere near them you wouldn't even have a clear enough view to see sky.

What is it with some guys and mowing their lawns? I see very few women ever mowing their lawns. Is this the last bastion of man[on]ly past times? It bores me to tears, but every Sunday afternoon...dudes are out with their mowers...and seemingly loving it.

This is the greatest picture. Probably some perspective trickery involved too, to be able to see the whole tornado in frame like that it must have been several miles away. If it was anywhere near them you wouldn't even have a clear enough view to see sky.

Yeah, if you are zoomed way in it will compress an image and make it look like objects in the background are really close.

Pizza

Jesus Christ nope

I live in Texas and tornadoes scare the fuck out of me. It's badass waking up at 4 to your phone BLASTING out a nightmare tone saying "oh shit there's absolutely a tornado around"

Like, nothing else. Just "look out!" So then I get to get all anxiety sweaty and try to desperately load up the radar to see if tonight is the night I blow away into the wind

Pachinko

For those wondering , there actually were weather warnings up around the time this happened , a gust front moved over almost the whole province of Alberta that afternoon but tornadoes tend to hit the many miles of rural farmland and bushland when they do come about so most people don't consider them much of a threat. It's been nearly 30 years since the last serious one touched down (july 31st 1987 in Edmonton ) and since then only one other twister that caused a death (pine lake camp ground in the 90's).

Doesn't make this guy any less of a fool but I can admit that I become a deer in headlights myself when I see a funnel cloud because it happens so rarely. So on some level I can relate to his nonchalant lawn mowing.

In my imagination he went inside to tell his wife the weather was looking bad and he'd finish the job tomorrow, and she gave him hell and sent him back outside.

Also, "This is fine."

Do tornados move in a predictable manner, or can they change their trajectory unpredictably?

If latter, then I'll do the best to run the fuck away even if it looks like the tornado is moving away.

Generally, they're pretty predictable, but the stories of experienced meteorologist who study tornados getting killed are generally because the tornado changed directions suddenly and unexpectedly. This happened to Tim Samaras who was a highly respected scientist who was generally considered one of the safest storm chasers in the field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_El_Reno_tornado#Storm_chaser_incidents

Did black sunglasses descend from the sky along with an already lit cigar swoop in from the left while some old school rap instrumental started to play and the words "Thug Life" appeared over his head?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Man that OP photo is really incredible. Even though the tornado was moving away, just seeing such awesome destructive power right outside your backyard would be enough to drive most people into a bunker. There may have not been any immediate danger given its trajectory, but carrying on as usual just seems insane for some reason. If it were me, at the very least I'd have to drop what I was doing and just stare in awe until it disappeared.

MIMIC

Banned
That photo....is....amazing.

Will it be the new "this is fine" meme? lol Or maybe just a general "no fucks given"

cr0w

Old Member
I've seen a few tornadoes over the years, lots of waterspouts over Lake Michigan, and a few on the plains out in the middle of nowhere in northwest Texas. When they're not in populated areas and are just spinning over vast fields of nothing, they're one of the most incredible things you'll ever see in your life. Absolute, terrifying beauty.

Luckily I've never had to live through one, but I had a few friends in Tuscaloosa a few years back when the tornado went through and they're lucky to have survived.

Top Bottom