• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins E3 hands on gameplay videos and impressions are going up

Jibbed

What's the general consensus, then? It looks stunning but I'm yet to really get an idea of how it's evolved gameplay-wise past gimmicks like the eagle etc.

farisr

I was hyped on it from the descriptions/details that came from gameinfromer but when they finally showed footage the combat looked bad, hopefully in the final release, it's much more smoother/and less janky than what they showed at E3. Edit: Looks smoother in the gladiator vid, but something still feels off.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What's the general consensus, then? It looks stunning but I'm yet to really get an idea of how it's evolved gameplay-wise past gimmicks like the eagle etc.
So far mostly positive. A lot of impressions talk more about what's new.

Theorry

Arena stuff is gonna be epic.

PortlySpottedChicken.gif

I saw this on a full HD 28 inch pc monitor but come November I will see it on a 4K 65 inch OLED. I think it's going to be eye melting, so to speak.

Arun1910

A lot of people say the combat looks bad but from what I've seen so far, a lot is down to who is playing.

Combat has a learning curve and the AI is more aggressive, so much so that people dont know the controls and dodge everywhere.

I feel happy from what I have seen so far:

1 - Lush World
2 - Parkour animation chain is more fluid
3 - New combat mechanics
4 - Fresher less obtrusive UI
5 - Naval combat
6 - Always being able to go underwater (unlike Black Flag and Rogue)
7 - Underwater Combat

As long as this doesn't have performance issues, I'm all set. Can't wait to explore the 20 tombs they are doing.

Traversing AC4 as a pirate was one of my favourite things, Ashraf and team can only go up from there.

13ruce

Banned
A lot of people say the combat looks bad but from what I've seen so far, a lot is down to who is playing.

Combat has a learning curve and the AI is more aggressive, so much so that people dont know the controls and dodge everywhere.

I feel happy from what I have seen so far:

1 - Lush World
2 - Parkour animation chain is more fluid
3 - New combat mechanics
4 - Fresher less obtrusive UI
5 - Naval combat
6 - Always being able to go underwater (unlike Black Flag and Rogue)
7 - Underwater Combat

As long as this doesn't have performance issues, I'm all set. Can't wait to explore the 20 tombs they are doing.

Traversing AC4 as a pirate was one of my favourite things, Ashraf and team can only go up from there.

Okay i will watch nothing anymore all your points sound amazing i will remain as spoiler free as possible from now.

Just like AC IV and AC II and Brotherhood i need to experience this fresh.

Arun1910

Okay i will watch nothing anymore all your points sound amazing i will remain as spoiler free as possible from now.

Just like AC IV and AC II and Brotherhood i need to experience this fresh.

Ha, thank you.

I am thinking the same. I think I will do with this what I did with Black Flag and only binge the E3 stuff.

I don't feel like I need to see more, and stuff like Tombs and Pyramids I want to leave as surprises.

Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

I just realized something VERY odd and jarring, the sound design for movement is incredibly unfinished in this build. There's missing sound effects for running, jumping, landing, or they're so subdued that they're barely registering.

EDIT:Not even splashing water has a sound effect. Man this build is hopefully really early like Syndicates. o_o

Social

I do not see much fun or positive changes to the combat but the rest looks quite great. The NPC's are all blind though and deaf, but I guess that's the only way to keep this kind of game playable.

I would like to see the whole game in the native language of the region, not in English. At least give me the option of change as in Unity (french).

zkorejo

People are already complaining about combat in YT comments. I think its a good change. For Honor/Bloodborne type combat is much more interesting than 8 year old Arkham button mashing.

Coffinhal

I just realized something VERY odd and jarring, the sound design for movement is incredibly unfinished in this build. There's missing sound effects for running, jumping, landing, or they're so subdued that they're barely registering.

EDIT:Not even splashing water has a sound effect. Man this build is hopefully really early like Syndicates. o_o

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. The demo seems bigger than what they usually do so they must have worked more than usual - and therefore started earlier - to get it running and functionnal as a stand-alone while the rest of the game is being finished and put together.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
some of those animations look super rough and unfinished. hope they have enough time to polish that up.

with that being said i'm absolutely in love with the look of this game. soooooo colorful and vibrant

Honestly I think it looks pretty good, I love ancient Egypt and the rpg systems look interesting. First AssCreed since Black Flag I'm excited for.

sueil

Why are they calling this ancient Egypt when it's thousands of years after ancient Egypt and Egypt is ruled by Greeks and is a puppet state of the Roman Republic?

Thanks for all the links! Clearly this is all alpha and sound effects in particular are definitely changing before release. I have big concerns though:

- Main character seems dull as heck, again. He's like Connor 2.0, all business and serious, no personality whatsoever. No wit, no humor. Can we get an Assassin like Geralt one day?
- Animations are still janky as fuck. In one of the videos the player tries climbing into a window. Assassin climbs onto the roof instead, so the player has to climb back down and try again. It's definitely an AC game... I've also noticed that while climbing rocks sounds great, they haven't designed the animations for that. He just tries using animations designed for vertical surfaces on rocks that are mostly not quite vertical, so keeps warping in and out of the rock surfaces when he needs to be closer or further away.
- Combat looks terrifyingly bad, but it could just be something that looks rough but feels great. I generally hate health bars in games though, feel like they're a strange holdover from the days we needed them in 2D games to represent physical condition, but games are now visually impressive enough to display that condition in more immersive ways. I LOVED AC1 for doing away with health bars in combat and using a smart animation system (near misses, dodges, parries, until health bar is low and a final hit can fully connect) so it's painful to see them reverting to full on health bars instead of trying to be progressive again. I'd be more forgiving of weak combat if they were at least TRYING something progressive for games as a whole.

The positives outweigh my concerns though. This game looks visually stunning, and like every AC since 2 I'm more than happy to ignore the story and just explore the detailed world as historical tourism if the story and characters are standard AC levels of awful. Fingers crossed the main character gets a personality injection over the next 6 months, and these animation issues get sorted.

Really happy they finally get rid of this dull combat system that was worst part of AC. I am glad they are somewhat taking the soul path. There is a lot of room for improvement though.

The Microsoft presentation was not convencing, but the end of the Ubisoft convinced me. Day one.

Hagi

Combat looks kind of boring. I like the idea of the Gladiator stuff but the boss fight wasn't the most exciting thing I've seen. Would've been cool if they implemented something akin to form changes where he changed weapons at lower health.

Ashtar

Watched some gameplay on IGN combat looked not so great, I think they played didn't know what they were doing so that didn't help but why does bayek hold the pose so long after a swing, enemy response / weapon impact seemed off dude was just standing there stun locked.... not good
Still I'm looking forward to this, I don't play these games for combat. They also have 4 months to polish it.

The coolest thing so far has been the underwater stuff tbt, it looks really good

Crossing Eden

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. The demo seems bigger than what they usually do so they must have worked more than usual - and therefore started earlier - to get it running and functionnal as a stand-alone while the rest of the game is being finished and put together.
It's actually strange what does have sound effects, the player being the water has none but the horse being water does. Anyway, this idle animation is perfection:

this is how the map loads in:

I don't know. Has the series ever moved away from tailing sections, walking next to someone for 10 minutes while they spout exposition, or generally being way too restrictive? How even is Syndicate?

Crossing Eden

I don't know. Has the series ever moved away from tailing sections, walking next to someone for 10 minutes while they spout exposition, or generally being way too restrictive? How even is Syndicate?
Tailing missions haven't been a main focus of the mission design for two games now, what few missions there are are incredibly lenient and have no instafail states unless you specifically get caught by the target. The main focus of the mission design, (barring the very few linear set piece missions), for the past two games, and seemingly this one, have been sandbox focused. Where the mission area is usually a big open sandbox with multiple routes and a more simple objective to encourage player expression.

Asriel

Why are they calling this ancient Egypt when it's thousands of years after ancient Egypt and Egypt is ruled by Greeks and is a puppet state of the Roman Republic?

Ptolemaic Egypt is considered the last dynasty before its fall to Rome.

dreamfall

I neeeeeed it~

Ready to explore Ancient Egypt, really excited about Bayek - going to be sifting through a ton of footage, I like the changes in combat and the underwater swimming! How much difference some major time in development makes!

Crossing Eden

Continuing the Ubisoft tradition of absurd amounts of attention paid attention to npc animations, you can encounter a crazy large group of people carrying royalty...:

can...can you make them drop him?? O_O

Coffinhal

It's actually strange what does have sound effects, the player being the water has none but the horse being water does. Anyway, this idle animation is perfection:

this is how the map loads in:

Talking about animations, the horse animations are really weird. Looks like they are some kind of donkey when galloping ? Some kind of special horse bread with short legs ? Or is it just me ?

VfYBn1.gif

edit : looks better in gif

Already searching for camel riding footage.

Gator86

All the written stuff about the game sounds so promising. Then I see gameplay and am just like "oh, that's...the same shit." People raved about the return to form of Syndicate and I couldn't survive more than a few hours of that before hitting the eject button. Hopefully, this really is more of a change.

CaLe

Continuing the Ubisoft tradition of absurd amounts of attention paid attention to npc animations, you can encounter a crazy group of people carrying royalty...:

can...can you make them drop him?? O_O

A shame those NPCs look unpolished and are lifeless outside of their baked animations... But yeah, the variety is nice I guess.

Then again, it's something all games suffer from.

sueil

Ptolemaic Egypt is considered the last dynasty before its fall to Rome.

Later Ptolemies[edit]
Philometor was succeeded by yet another infant, his son Ptolemy VII Neos Philopator. But Euergetes soon returned, killed his young nephew, seized the throne and as Ptolemy VIII soon proved himself a cruel tyrant. On his death in 116 BC he left the kingdom to his wife Cleopatra III and her son Ptolemy IX Philometor Soter II. The young king was driven out by his mother in 107 BC, who reigned jointly with Euergetes's youngest son Ptolemy X Alexander I. In 88 BC Ptolemy IX again returned to the throne, and retained it until his death in 80 BC. He was succeeded by Ptolemy XI Alexander II, the son of Ptolemy X. He was lynched by the Alexandrian mob after murdering his stepmother, who was also his cousin, aunt and wife. These sordid dynastic quarrels left Egypt so weakened that the country became a de facto protectorate of Rome, which had by now absorbed most of the Greek world.

Ptolemy XI was succeeded by a son of Ptolemy IX, Ptolemy XII Neos Dionysos, nicknamed Auletes, the flute-player. By now Rome was the arbiter of Egyptian affairs, and annexed both Libya and Cyprus. In 58 BC Auletes was driven out by the Alexandrian mob, but the Romans restored him to power three years later. He died in 51 BC, leaving the kingdom to his ten-year-old son, Ptolemy XIII Theos Philopator, who reigned jointly with his 17-year-old sister and wife, Cleopatra VII.

The game takes place in 49 BC.

All the written stuff about the game sounds so promising. Then I see gameplay and am just like "oh, that's...the same shit." People raved about the return to form of Syndicate and I couldn't survive more than a few hours of that before hitting the eject button. Hopefully, this really is more of a change.
I thought syndicate was the most generic AC as of yet.
Like they even stopped pretending selling something new.

SomTervo

As CE said, these repulsed Black Flag players so much that tailing missions have been reduced to naught in Unity, Rogue and Syndicate.

All the written stuff about the game sounds so promising. Then I see gameplay and am just like "oh, that's...the same shit."

Maybe playing it isn't the same as watching it?

DrBo42

Really not a fan of the slide animations in combat or his running in general. He always seems like he's in skates or not actually making contact with the ground. It's something I want to look away from but my eye keeps being drawn to it. So distracting.

RYxVge3

Maybe it's that he's almost perfectly still vertically between strides. Something is fucked up.

Top Bottom