• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins E3 hands on gameplay videos and impressions are going up

Coffinhal

A shame those NPCs look unpolished and are lifeless outside of their baked animations... But yeah, the variety is nice I guess.

Then again, it's something all games suffer from.

They did push something forward with Unity with these amounts of NPCs - maybe too much even in that game haha. I replayed Syndicate lately and I really love the amount of details put for a good amount of NPCs : the city begin to feel lively. That's one of the things that GTA V lacked. Even in the populated areas of AC:Origins it really changes the atmosphere.

This time they promise day-to-night routes, habits for the different tribes of bandits. We'll see if it really changes the

Speaking of which the demo running only day-time footage or have we seen night too ? I loved how Syndicate handled that after the disappointed of the fixed time of the day of Unity.

People are already complaining about combat in YT comments. I think its a good change. For Honor/Bloodborne type combat is much more interesting than 8 year old Arkham button mashing.
I think it would be a lot more fluid if all you had to do was hold down the right trigger and the game would do the fighting for you.

Harlequin

They did push something forward with Unity with these amounts of NPCs - maybe too much even in that game haha. I replayed Syndicate lately and I really love the amount of details put for a good amount of NPCs : the city begin to feel lively. That's one of the things that GTA V lacked. Even in the populated areas of AC:Origins it really changes the atmosphere.

This time they promise day-to-night routes, habits for the different tribes of bandits. We'll see if it really changes the

Speaking of which the demo running only day-time footage or have we seen night too ? I loved how Syndicate handled that after the disappointed of the fixed time of the day of Unity.

I don't think we've seen it in the demo but that one gameplay trailer had some night time footage and I think the GI article had some night time screens.

What's the general consensus, then? It looks stunning but I'm yet to really get an idea of how it's evolved gameplay-wise past gimmicks like the eagle etc.

Gamesradar goes through it's changes.

Day one game. Probably my only day one this year.

I think it would be a lot more fluid if all you had to do was hold down the right trigger and the game would do the fighting for you.

Sarcasm?

The arena mode should be fun.

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
The combat looks terrible and feels like it was put together in the last few weeks.

Hopefully there is more style and variation to it in the final build.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Not too worried at this point. If you recall, the first look at Demon's Souls at TGS was janky af but showed so much promise and look how it turned out. :) I've got a lot of faith in the team, I just wonder even after reading what they're changing how much they will really have evolved the series. They're still loads of fun though, so it's not going to diminish that I don't think.

Logash

Loving all the changes but I am curious about the post assassination target monologues. That is one of my favorite story elements of the series and I really want it to come back. Any of these videos show it?

Lots of good ideas here, the combat is a bit janky ish, but it looks leagues beyond most AC combat in the past and could easily be cleaned up in later entries if need be. I do wish they could go just a bit further, like having heavier arrow arcs and removing the cross hairs turning red, plus have rumors and the curious player be the only guides like Zelda rather than have the classic towers plaster the icons. Ah well, baby steps and what changes they've made here look quite promising. I must say that the progression from Rogue and Syndicate to this game seems quite substantial.

It's been a long time that I wanted to really take in the experience of an AC game as a whole.

TISTAN4

Neo Member
Tailing missions haven't been a main focus of the mission design for two games now, what few missions there are are incredibly lenient and have no instafail states unless you specifically get caught by the target. The main focus of the mission design, (barring the very few linear set piece missions), for the past two games, and seemingly this one, have been sandbox focused. Where the mission area is usually a big open sandbox with multiple routes and a more simple objective to encourage player expression.
Have they said anything about if the black box assassination missions are back? I dont know why they wouldn't be as they were the best part of the past 2 games imo but they are changing a lot so who knows.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This was one of my most anticipated E3 games but I'm not feeling it at all. I was expecting a big shake up to the formula and outside of a few tweaks here and there it looks very much more of the same to me with even worse combat.

It's typical that they get the stealth and combat to a great place in the last entry then fuck with it again. Always going to happen when you have multiple studios all sharing the same franchise I guess like Call of Duty.

The horse riding animation also looks awful compared to MGSV and Breath of the Wild.

I will probably still end up getting it but I hope they show off more of the apparent changes and continue to improve the combat and animations before launch.

yansolo

If this game isn't a disappointment I hope they end up sticking with ancient/older timelines and locations, it would be more interesting imo

Like one set in ancient Greece during the time of Alexander, where you could possibly have Persia, Egypt and India as locations

And obviously one set in feudal japan, ninja assassin what else would you need?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Have they said anything about if the black box assassination missions are back? I dont know why they wouldn't be as they were the best part of the past 2 games imo but they are changing a lot so who knows.
I really hope so.

Ashtar

If you meant the hitman esque assassinations I doubt those are in now that the missions are no longer contained.... or maybe they're just super systemic like mgsv
I watched some more vids and I'm back on the hype train 🚂

Man, that combat is almost killing my interest. It looks so slow and un-Assassin-like. Still feel the Batman style of 3 and Syndicate were really the best versions the series had done, really made you look and feel like a brutally efficient warrior

Here, just looks like a bad aping of the Soulslike design

zenspider

I would like to see the whole game in the native language of the region, not in English. At least give me the option of change as in Unity (french).

That's been my favorite way to play Assasin's Creed games, but I doubt it. Pretty sure they've only been EU languages.

Piccoro

It looks awesome, I'm gonna buy this game so fast.
The only AC's I played were AC1 and ACIII, but this one looks great and I love Ancient Egypt! :)

Alx

Yeah, not sure how I feel about the new combat system, seems slow and tedious. Maybe it will be a bigger incentive to avoid fights in the game. :p (I was already avoiding it in previous games, but when you got caught in a fight you just had to shrug and kill them all in a few seconds)

I just realized something VERY odd and jarring, the sound design for movement is incredibly unfinished in this build. There's missing sound effects for running, jumping, landing, or they're so subdued that they're barely registering.

EDIT:Not even splashing water has a sound effect. Man this build is hopefully really early like Syndicates. o_o

First thing that stuck out to me too. Hearing him grunt as he jumps off a ledge to no sound of his feet landing is super jarring

Man, that combat is almost killing my interest. It looks so slow and un-Assassin-like. Still feel the Batman style of 3 and Syndicate were really the best versions the series had done, really made you look and feel like a brutally efficient warrior

I'd go as far as saying there's something off about most of Bayek's animations at this point. It looks like he's constantly in a struggle between Ubi's standard animation-heavy movement vs. Ubi's usual weird aerial momentum vs. MGSV style snappiness vs. Souls-like lock on combat maneuvers. The game is just snapping between all of these styles giving the gameplay a herky-jerky inconsistency.

CHC

What year is the game supposed to take place in? Keep hearing "Ancient Egypt" but can't really find any other info. There are things that look suspiciously modern in it, like (lol) a crossbow turret...

Freiya

Why does it seem like every Creed that comes out looks worse than the last one graphically? Watching this game during the xbox event I thought it looked really lackluster and I thought I'd see people commenting on it but I guess my expectations must have been too high.

Coffinhal

Why does it seem like every Creed that comes out looks worse than the last one graphically? Watching this game during the xbox event I thought it looked really lackluster and I thought I'd see people commenting on it but I guess my expectations must have been too high.

Yes Unity looked way worse than Black Flag!!!

what's even the point of having towers when Bayek has an eagle and climbing being completely automated? It's not like they are going to be climbing puzzles like in the past, which could be enjoyable if done well.

Crossing Eden

Faces aside this looks way better lighting and detail wise than Syndicate.

What year is the game supposed to take place in? Keep hearing "Ancient Egypt" but can't really find any other info. There are things that look suspiciously modern in it, like (lol) a crossbow turret...
49 BCE

what's even the point of having towers when Bayek has an eagle and climbing being completely automated? It's not like they are going to be climbing puzzles like in the past, which could be enjoyable if done well.
The map becomes less foggy either via exploration or using a view point, which has the added benefit of training your eagle.

Alx

It's called a scorpion, funnily enough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpio_(weapon)
Ballista.gif

The scorpion was invented around 50BC, but an older version (polybolos) existed a few centuries earlier, and was invented in Alexandria.

The map becomes less foggy either via exploration or using a view point, which has the added benefit of training your eagle.
Would have preferred an adaptive system that fills the map in based on elevation and viewing distance. That way you naturally reward climbing tall buildings w/o making it a checklist approach.

You could even still have towers w/o making them ubi towers.

Crossing Eden

Would have preferred an adaptive system that fills the map in based on elevation and viewing distance. That way you naturally reward climbing tall buildings w/o making it a checklist approach.

You could even still have towers w/o making them ubi towers.
That is a cool idea but a lot of places aren't really elevated because of the setting, the buildlings are a lot more simplistic architecture wise aside from the mountains. And holy shit crocodiles can destroy boats....

and if you're seen by npcs out in the water they'll quickly rush over to help you out by sailing up and letting you "borrow" boats instead of stealing them since npcs respect you:

Honestly, Revelations and 3 really were the peaks of the series when it comes to combat. So many options at your disposal for really neat, fluid kills. I remember I spent almost an hour showing off unique kills and mechanics in Revelations to my dad and he was thoroughly impressed.

I don't know why they are trying to ape the Soulsborne combat when that is by far the weakest aspect of that series. The atmosphere and environment design are where those games shine.

Weak attack, weak attack, weak attack, dodge x infinity.

Kinyou

Nice to finally see him with his hood off.

I'm still not really a fan of the fighting system but it's also clear that this finally allows them to have proper boss fights.
Not sure why they gave him that weird dash instead of a combat roll though

Stiler

The combat in previous games just had no real depth to it though, it did "look" cool but there was never really that much behind it in terms of depth or difficulty.

I always thought AC3 had the best combat in the style of the older games with its multi person takedowns and the weapon choices.

Hopefully they can find a way to bridge them together, give us the feeling/look that combat in AC3 gave while allowing for more skill and depth on what the player can do and the enemies.

Top Bottom