• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

Those of us who are expressing concern are mega-fans of SotC. From what I've seen in this trailer, I don't yet have confidence that the game's unique art style, animation, and overall vibe will be properly preserved by Bluepoint in this remake/remaster.

Team ICO has an instantly recognizable aesthetic to all of their work, and right now this project is lacking it IMO. It looks like a fan-made Unreal Engine homage to SotC, if that makes sense.

So, yes. Of course I'd love for everyone to be able to play SotC if they haven't already. But I'd rather they play something like the HD remaster since it's a more faithful modern update to the original. It's like when you're a fan of Watchmen the graphic novel and you meet people who've only seen Watchmen the movie. My heart breaks every time.

That being said, I hope for the sake of SotC that this remake ends up being worthwhile by the time of release. I've always loved Bluepoint's remasters in the past, and they proved to me with the Ico/SotC HD Collection that they have respect for the source material. I'll need to see more footage of the new game in action before I can pass further judgment on it.

To be clear, I understand why a remake would be attempted. The notion of a full-scale SotC remake that is faithful to the original's aesthetic and tone sounds amazing to me. I just don't want this remake to lose the unique characteristics of the original game that made it special to so many of us.
Well put. For me the lack of iconic Team ICO lighting is a let down but all of your points resonate with me.

Valahart

I thought it was sort of a reboot when I saw the trailer. Knowing it's a remake I just lost interest.

I'm not a fan of companies remaking games, mainly the ones that are already so easy to find and can be played in the same platform.

RSchmitz

I trust BluePoint. They have yet to mess a project.
This seems like the biggest revamp they´ve done, but I´m optimistic and very excited for this.

Patch13

You know how easy it is to play Shadow of the Colossus? I have to buy either a PS2 or PS3 just for that one game. In theory I could stream it with PSNow, but I have never had success with streaming services, and I'm worried that lag may affect some of the timing issues I heard about the PS3 Shadow of the Colossus.

It's really annoying that Sony has Shadow of the Colossus locked up as an enticement to try PSNow. Granted, I would say that the experience of playing a slightly laggy SotC on a Vita is akin to watching Citizen Kane on DVD -- neither is ideal ;-) But I can see not wanting to put up with a shaky network connection, or simply the price, which is high for something that just streams PS3 games ...

The thing about SotC is that it's not just a really impressive boss rush game. It's one of the few games that aspires to, and arguably succeeds at, being art. And while there are always hard choices to be made between making art and making art accessible to people, I'm not sure that this is the best approach to bringing Shadow of the Colossus to a wider audience. Ymmv, of course, and I hope that you get a game that is as emotionally moving to you as it was to me. I'm glad that I got to experience Team Ico's version, though, and I hope that their version will be available to people who want to play it in the future.

dankir

Somebody figure out if we're getting new Colossi that were cut from the original. If they are remaking it from top to bottom then make it interesting for me!

KodaRuss

Ill get this day 1. I didnt ask for it and I am still not sure if we need it but Ill buy it and play through it again.

Still think Blueprint could have worked on a different game like the one everyone has been asking for
Demon's Souls

ScOULaris

It most likely will be 30fps. That's the framerate of the direct-feed trailer. If it was going to be 60fps they would've shown it at 60fps.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm glad this is happening but I'm not exactly head over heels for it. I'm more excited for what Ueda does next more so than playing SotC in a nicer upgraded quality. Still it's cool to have the game on tent PS4 for new people to experience.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just watched the conference and this was my favourite part. I can't wait for this, BluePoint have a 100% record and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Those of us who are expressing concern are mega-fans of SotC. From what I've seen in this trailer, I don't yet have confidence that the game's unique art style, animation, and overall vibe will be properly preserved by Bluepoint in this remake/remaster.

Team ICO has an instantly recognizable aesthetic to all of their work, and right now this project is lacking it IMO. It looks like a fan-made Unreal Engine homage to SotC, if that makes sense.

So, yes. Of course I'd love for everyone to be able to play SotC if they haven't already. But I'd rather they play something like the HD remaster since it's a more faithful modern update to the original. It's like when you're a fan of Watchmen the graphic novel and you meet people who've only seen Watchmen the movie. My heart breaks every time.

That being said, I hope for the sake of SotC that this remake ends up being worthwhile by the time of release. I've always loved Bluepoint's remasters in the past, and they proved to me with the Ico/SotC HD Collection that they have respect for the source material. I'll need to see more footage of the new game in action before I can pass further judgment on it.

To be clear, I understand why a remake would be attempted. The notion of a full-scale SotC remake that is faithful to the original's aesthetic and tone sounds amazing to me. I just don't want this remake to lose the unique characteristics of the original game that made it special to so many of us.

I dunno man - I was at the store day 1 for Ico, and had been reading about it since it's original reveal. I've owned every game day 1 since - My team Ico cred is as deep as they come ;b This version of the game won't instantly vaporize your prior copy of the game and if you really feel offended by it, you don't need to play it. I think it really does preserve the art and it looks like they have used the same animations which is my biggest concern.

I totally get the concern, but ultimately I think this is a gift for series fans and BP has never shown anything other than utter reverence and complete understanding of SOTC and Ico with their remaster work.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why so much negativity? This looks truly incredible, and for someone who has never played the game like myself, really exciting. I don't see any reason why this project is a bad thing.

I still can't believe this is actually happening, my favorite game of all time getting the remake treatment and looking this good! But man the negativity here is disheartening. :(

This is pretty much my experience on this forum with everything I've ever been excited about :p

I played it. Loved it. Would likely never play it again but this is giving me a reason to. And I have friends who have never played it before but are now considering it. So it's a win-win.

FelipeMGM

yeah, for me sure it looks that they are doing the same kind of work Modern Warfare and Crash N.Sane Trilogy got, same geometry with brand new assets and new models

If they still have some of the prototype and geometry for the cut colossi, I could see them finishing them and adding that to the game, maybe thats where Japan Studio comes in too.

Solrac

when i saw the trailer i had the feeling that this video was made by random fans using UE4, hope they improve it

DeanBDean

It's really annoying that Sony has Shadow of the Colossus locked up as an enticement to try PSNow. Granted, I would say that the experience of playing a slightly laggy SotC on a Vita is akin to watching Citizen Kane on DVD -- neither is ideal ;-) But I can see not wanting to put up with a shaky network connection, or simply the price, which is high for something that just streams PS3 games ...

The thing about SotC is that it's not just a really impressive boss rush game. It's one of the few games that aspires to, and arguably succeeds at, being art. And while there are always hard choices to be made between making art and making art accessible to people, I'm not sure that this is the best approach to bringing Shadow of the Colossus to a wider audience. Ymmv, of course, and I hope that you get a game that is as emotionally moving to you as it was to me. I'm glad that I got to experience Team Ico's version, though, and I hope that their version will be available to people who want to play it in the future.

I can definitely understand wanting the Ico version to exist, mostly untouched, on future machines. Sony's lack of backwards compatibility to bolster PSNow is disappointing. I would have bought SotC instantly if they had released it as PSClassic, and it'd be nice if they did that. Nintendo still released Majora's Mask and Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii U Virtual Console, even after making versions for the 3DS. Hopefully at some point Sony will do this, but I have my doubts.

And I would love to watch a real reel of Citizen Kane someday. I saw Paths of Glory and a black and white Cary Grant film whose name I can't recall, both through an actual projector, and they were glorious

completely disagree...Visuals look very faithful to the original and better yet, should fix the awful frame rate issues.

Looks great, game is great, more people will play it. Not all change is bad, BP have a great track record and I think you guys are just being overly concerned, as usual lol '-)

Not giving the trailer too close a look the only thing that felt noticeably off to me was Wander not having quite as strong as a weighty sway to his movements which is like the Ueda tradition.

Otherwise, it's an odd thing to be revamped/remastered/remade once more but it's still my favourite Sony title so I'm in. If the original had the framerate woes and the PS3 remaster had issues rising from the increase in framerate (stop shaking!) then hopefully this time we'll get the best edition across the board.

Jennipeg

I hope controlling Agro is better. While visually stunning, any battle involving him made me want to throw my PS3 out of the window. Laziest horse in the world, seriously it should not take that long for a horse to canter/gallop.

Lime

I'm very excited for this. I wanted to replay SOTC on the PS3 the other day, so instead I'll just wait and relive the top 5 experience on the Pro.

I still can't believe this is actually happening, my favorite game of all time getting the remake treatment and looking this good! But man the negativity here is disheartening. :(
Dude, subscribe to threads and pick your communities. GAF is almost like twitter now, negativity is the spice that seasons this place during popular gaming times.

You just have to have perspective mate. Destiny was/is hot garbage according to so much of GAF and it's sequel looks like an afterthought expansion of more of the same. Yet, it is one of, if not THE most successful and adored new IP released this gen with an insane community of dedicated players. Here's some of the lines of reasoning I've sharply disagreed with GAF on, with stats, communities, and sales that fly in the exact opposite direction of popular opinion here.

-Destiny is a trash, do the same thing over and over, loot game
-SFV is garbage, no modes and few characters
-Sony has no games, how is PS4 selling
-Switch is overpriced and DOA
-Mid-gen upgrades are terrible, I don't want a new console yet bad precedent
-Mid-gen upgrades are amazing, but Sony is half-assin it!
-4K disc playback and B/C are 'MEGATONS'....seriously, who even coined that phrase?
-Horizon's concern threads, going to be generic and lacks 'soul'
-Breath of the Wild is the best thing ever in the industry Just a great game to me, enjoying MK8 more tbh...
-etc...

No one wants to play old games that look like old games. Given the choice, would you rather pop in your PS2 disc of SotC into your PS4 or get this remake that takes advantage of the hardware both in terms of visuals and performance?

Depends on how the new one plays.

Hopefully it's not a situation like Mario 1 on Mario All-Stars. Where yeah it looked better, but how it played felt off. I don't think it will be, but my point is that there are times when the older, uglier game is the better one.

I hope controlling Agro is better. While visually stunning, any battle involving him made me want to throw my PS3 out of the window. Laziest horse in the world, seriously it should not take that long for a horse to canter/gallop.

This is the best horse in gaming.

I really hope they touch absolutely nothing about the controls or animation systems. This should be a graphical upgrade only. Just ensure it's the grip system that the US version originally shipped with and all will be well.

Wildo09

It does look like one of those UE4 fangames, but it's Shadow of the Colossus! One of the most unique games of all time, I may get a PS4 soon.

13ruce

Banned
Will they include the cut content? I really hope so if they remake the graphics why don't add the cut stuff anyway:p

Never played the first but i heard about some cut collosi.

Edit: after looking it up i hope those missing 8 from the artbook are in.

Yukinari

If theres one thing they should add in as a toggle its hints during colossus fights.

New players should be able to choose whether or not they wanna be pestered by Dormin. Its not as bad as the narration in last guardian but still.

No one wants to play old games that look like old games. Given the choice, would you rather pop in your PS2 disc of SotC into your PS4 or get this remake that takes advantage of the hardware both in terms of visuals and performance?
That's about as ridiculous as saying people don't want to watch old movies when you can put in a full color 4K HD movie. Older doesn't equal worse, more advanced visuals doesn't equal better

nachum00

Books are rereleased all the time. Movies are remade all the time. Why shouldn't a masterpiece be rereleased for a new generation?
Rereleasing something and remaking something are two entirely different things. Do I want to watch a rerelease of Oldboy or Robocop? Sure. Do I want to watch the remakes? Fuck no

nachum00

Ps2 game. Probably won't even buy this.

RedSwirl

I have the same concerns.

I'm convinced Bluepoint won't touch the actual game at all, but its ability to preserve that depends on how much (if any) of the PS2 code base is there. That's why I'm wondering if it's actually 2017 art assets bolted on top of the old 2005 engine, like Halo. I'd personally prefer that, but that comes with its own drawbacks like animation and such.

Visually what I've seen seems faithful but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Part of the problem is issues inherently come up when you try to add 2017 asset detail to 2005 art direction. This isn't going to look completely like a PS4 game. I would not have minded a simple 4K remaster. It would be like a classic movie being re-released on 4K Blu-Ray. Part of me has always wanted something like this too though. Colossus was a game released in-between eras of gaming. It was always a bit too much for its original platform to handle, and the PS3 version is stuck on PS3.

Rereleasing something and remaking something are two entirely different things. Do I want to watch a rerelease of Oldboy or Robocop? Sure. Do I want to watch the remakes? Fuck no
Because those movies suck, not merely because they're remakes. The actual concept of a remake isn't inherently bad

True Grit, Nosferatu, 3:10 to Yuma, or Evil Dead would be better comparisons

silva1991

What they showed in the trailer indeed lacks the great and recognizable lightning and atmosphere of Ueda games

TLG even with it's poor AA still more appealing looking in my eyes than what I saw in this trailer.

tSSRlrv.gif

84Aj9cb.gif

umfJmHG.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You always have the choice to not partake in this remake then ..

some of us wouldn't mind the game re-imagined for the new generation with new technology and better performance.

I think they are pretty close to the aesthetic of a team ICO game. I'd probably decrease the contrast a bit , over expose the sky a little more, and try and add in a bit more animation and movement based on wind and physics for Wanda and the Colossi.

Or just look at TLG for a case study on what it should look like

nachum00

Because those movies suck, not merely because they're remakes. The actual concept of a remake isn't inherently bad

True Grit, Nosferatu, 3:10 to Yuma, or Evil Dead would be better comparisons
Evil Dead remake? No thanks. I'll give you The Fly and The Thing.

Anyway I was just pointing out the difference between a remake and a rerelease.

Top Bottom