• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

Lime

Diehard classic fans need to realize that this release does not remove the original version or the PS3 remaster. This is merely an addition to the different versions of the classic, and not a replacement.

ScOULaris

I have the same concerns.

I'm convinced Bluepoint won't touch the actual game at all, but its ability to preserve that depends on how much (if any) of the PS2 code base is there. That's why I'm wondering if it's actually 2017 art assets bolted on top of the old 2005 engine, like Halo. I'd personally prefer that, but that comes with its own drawbacks like animation and such.

Visually what I've seen seems faithful but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Part of the problem is issues inherently come up when you try to add 2017 asset detail to 2005 art direction. This isn't going to look completely like a PS4 game. I would not have minded a simple 4K remaster. It would be like a classic movie being re-released on 4K Blu-Ray. Part of me has always wanted something like this too though. Colossus was a game released in-between eras of gaming. It was always a bit too much for its original platform to handle, and the PS3 version is stuck on PS3.

I'm under the assumption that they've built this atop the ported-over engine that they created for the PS3 Remaster of SotC. I remember them talking about the process back when the HD Collection came out, and they had to convert the bespoke Team ICO SotC engine over to a more standardized code base for modern systems for the first remaster.

This looks to be a Remaster+, so to speak. Replacing actual graphical and audio assets on top of the engine that they already had from the previous remastering, and then doing further tweaks as needed from there. I say that because certain animations like the horses running across the puddle and those of the colossi look 100% identical to the originals.

This looks to be a "remaster" in the vain of Halo: The Master Chief Collection or the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

• Remaster = porting a game over to new hardware, rendering original assets at higher resolution with maybe some touched-up textures
  • Remaster+ = starting with the original engine (porting it to modern code base) and then making all new art assets for everything in the game
  • Remake = completely making a game from scratch that seeks to provide a similar experience to the original game but otherwise uses none of the code or assets from the source material

13ruce

Banned
Why are people concerned is bluepoint not like the best with remasters etc?

Also the crash bandicoot remake seems fine to alot of peeps. They just have to stay true to the original code especially gameplay and emotional/setting wise.

It's hard yes but i am sure if devs can faithfully remake crash i am sure others can do the same with this game.

And maybe they will even add in the 8 cut collosi?

For those hating this they can still play the hd version on ps3 (they might even port that to ps4) or on a emulator with 4k if ya like (in the legal way ofcourse). And i really don't see the problem if they keep true to the original code and maybe even add in cut content to make it even better.

Books are rereleased all the time. Movies are remade all the time. Why shouldn't a masterpiece be rereleased for a new generation?

I have a poor opinion of those, too (other than books, because books are just printed again, games have to be remade and the comparison doesn't hold, especially in this case where there is new content), but with games the feeling is more relevant because of how creatively conservative new games are. I have the impression that the market for this commerce of nostalgia is making it so new games can move in a singular direction, while those which strike for a different experience can only utterly fail, or perhaps gain critical acclaim and go on to be sold as hidden relics of another time.

There's another, better way to give these games their due importance, and that's to learn from them and continue their legacy with new games by new people. How can an industry claim to hold these games dearly when they are doing so little to allow more games like them to be made? It's disheartening and defeating. I've bought this game twice, i won't be buying it again, so that's really not the problem. But i'm very conscious of how many games like this could be made if publishers game more developers more chances. I don't know, maybe it's just e3 depression settling in.

Are they like holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it or something?

If they were holding a gun to my head i wouldn't be airing my humble grievances on neogaf.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did people also get this angry when the Resident Evil remake was announced ? I wasn't on GAF at that time .. but this is kinda ridiculous. It's a remake of a classic game, if you don'l like it .. the original's still there.

There's absolutely no harm in re-creating a classic game with new technology for a new generation.

Are they forcing you to buy it?

Yes they are. I will have to buy this. I will have to spend all the money i've earned to buy this. It will cost me 100 american dollars. That's how expensive it is. I won't eat for weeks, maybe months. I'll live without electricity and gas, maybe even sleep outside because i'll have to sell my bed just to pay for the clothes i'll have to wear waiting for this game.

Jennipeg

This is the best horse in gaming.

I really hope they touch absolutely nothing about the controls or animation systems. This should be a graphical upgrade only. Just ensure it's the grip system that the US version originally shipped with and all will be well.

I was just about to strongly refute this, but then I realise that I can't actually think of a better horse. Even Uncharted 3's horses were bad, funnily enough the most realistic horses (in terms of animation) are in Horizon Zero Dawn and they are machines. So yeah, your right there lol.

Tain

I'm not sure if I'm sold on Bluepoint being in charge of an entire asset revamp. The port will be great from a technical perspective, though.

ScOULaris

Worst-case scenario depending on how this remaster turns out, I'll have some new high-quality SotC footage to use in my cheesy YouTube videos. ;)

I made several ICO and SotC videos back in college as well, but watching them now is rough since they were made using captured footage from the original PS2 releases and then further degraded during the encoding process.

mattp

do we have any word on what the deal is with the soundtrack?
i really, really wouldn't want anything but the original score

jett

D-Member
What they showed in the trailer indeed lacks the great and recognizable lightning and atmosphere of Ueda games

TLG even with it's poor AA still more appealing looking in my eyes than what I saw in this trailer.

tSSRlrv.gif

84Aj9cb.gif

umfJmHG.gif

That looks like the natural evolution of Team Ico's art design. SotCR just looks really different. I actually wonder how many of the leads that worked on SotC actually remain at JapanStudio (and how much input that studio has on this remake anyway).

UrbanRats

Diehard classic fans need to realize that this release does not remove the original version or the PS3 remaster. This is merely an addition to the different versions of the classic, and not a replacement.

Yes.
And aside from Wanda's model looking weird, i think it looks fantastic for the most part.

To be honest the purple sky in the original it's something i always hated, as an artistic choice, so i'm glad they toned it down.
I see this as someone else's interpretation of the work, a labor of love if you will, more than just a transposition of Ueda's vision (you have the HD remaster for that).

people are not complaining about upgrading to a Pro and a 4K TV, but they complain about a remastered version of SotC? Please

Triple Dip for me, love the game too much

nachum00

Did people also get this angry when the Resident Evil remake was announced ? I wasn't on GAF at that time .. but this is kinda ridiculous. It's a remake of a classic game, if you don'l like it .. the original's still there.

There's absolutely no harm in re-creating a classic game with new technology for a new generation.
If RE2 remake plays like modern RE I'll be super pissed. Because I'm really looking forward to playing that remake.

Shifty1897

I'm a little worried that I didn't hear any of the original music in the trailer. There's no way there would be licensing issues, right?

I'm sure it will be great. Bluepoint is doing God's work.

My wife is probably the biggest team Ico fan know, i convinced her to get is a ps4 solely on the fact that the last guardian would be there to play (ironically, that's how we got a ps3 as well).

Even she is really confused by this and isn't really interested. Hoping there is a ton of new content... Otherwise it's a sub 10 sale item for us.

I have a poor opinion of those, too (other than books, because books are just printed again, games have to be remade and the comparison doesn't hold, especially in this case where there is new content), but with games the feeling is more relevant because of how creatively conservative new games are. I have the impression that the market for this commerce of nostalgia is making it so new games can move in a singular direction, while those which strike for a different experience can only utterly fail, or perhaps gain critical acclaim and go on to be sold as hidden relics of another time.

There's another, better way to give these games their due importance, and that's to learn from them and continue their legacy with new games by new people. How can an industry claim to hold these games dearly when they are doing so little to allow more games like them to be made? It's disheartening and defeating. I've bought this game twice, i won't be buying it again, so that's really not the problem. But i'm very conscious of how many games like this could be made if publishers game more developers more chances. I don't know, maybe it's just e3 depression settling in.

If they were holding a gun to my head i wouldn't be airing my humble grievances on neogaf.

Bro why so serious. It's just games man. Enjoy them and if this bothers you so much then don't play it. Play the original.

RedSwirl

Maybe including the original version as well would satisfy fans. I would personally be fine with a 4K PS4 version of the original game. It all depends on how they're developing this remaster.

Halo Anniversary was just new assets built on top of the original engine, and even had a setting where you could press select and instantly switch to the original version. Maybe Colossus could have something similar if this remaster is being done in a similar way.

Those of us who are expressing concern are mega-fans of SotC. From what I've seen in this trailer, I don't yet have confidence that the game's unique art style, animation, and overall vibe will be properly preserved by Bluepoint in this remake/remaster.

Team ICO has an instantly recognizable aesthetic to all of their work, and right now this project is lacking it IMO. It looks like a fan-made Unreal Engine homage to SotC, if that makes sense.

So, yes. Of course I'd love for everyone to be able to play SotC if they haven't already. But I'd rather they play something like the HD remaster since it's a more faithful modern update to the original. It's like when you're a fan of Watchmen the graphic novel and you meet people who've only seen Watchmen the movie. My heart breaks every time.

That being said, I hope for the sake of SotC that this remake ends up being worthwhile by the time of release. I've always loved Bluepoint's remasters in the past, and they proved to me with the Ico/SotC HD Collection that they have respect for the source material. I'll need to see more footage of the new game in action before I can pass further judgment on it.

To be clear, I understand why a remake would be attempted. The notion of a full-scale SotC remake that is faithful to the original's aesthetic and tone sounds amazing to me. I just don't want this remake to lose the unique characteristics of the original game that made it special to so many of us.

Very well said. I felt weird for not being hyped after the game announcement, but something looked really off in the trailer. I hope it turns out great, I really do, but until I see more I'll stay cautiously skeptic.

PooBone

I hope there's some extras but regardless, this is the number one game from last gen that I wanted available for the current consoles. This is a dream come true. I still remember 12 years ago playing the demo disk from a magazine that I drove to the store specifically for. I'll happily pay for this a third time.

Magnet

Neo Member
And I have friends who have never played it before but are now considering it. So it's a win-win.

This is probably the biggest reason I'm excited for this. I have a friend with a PS4 interested in playing SotC, but they don't have any console to play it on currently. I'm very happy that he'll be able to play this game on the PS4 next year, especially with such an incredible visual improvement.

PooBone

I don't get why you'd remake a game that got a remaster last gen. Very confused by this decision.

Because it's the best PS2 and/or PS3 game not playable on the PS4. Just my opinion but it's one that's widely shared.

My wife is probably the biggest team Ico fan know, i convinced her to get is a ps4 solely on the fact that the last guardian would be there to play (ironically, that's how we got a ps3 as well).

Even she is really confused by this and isn't really interested. Hoping there is a ton of new content... Otherwise it's a sub 10 sale item for us.

hm

I went nuts when this was announced. Legit almost cried. Its pretty crazy but this might actually be my most anticipated game of 2018 at this point. SOTC is among my favorite games of all time and I honestly believe it might be the GOAT.

My expectations are that it runs with a rock solid framerate, with a good camera and looks beautiful. But I actually hope they take some risks and go a bit beyond that. I want them to try a different (better) control scheme, and the world needs just a little *something* to incentivize exploration. I have no idea what that something is though. Of course, the dream is that they add new colossi. Even just 1 new one would make me ecstatic.

PooBone

I went nuts when this was announced. Legit almost cried. Its pretty crazy but this might actually be my most anticipated game of 2018 at this point. SOTC is among my favorite games of all time and I honestly believe it might be the GOAT.

My expectations are that it runs with a rock solid framerate, with a good camera and looks beautiful. But I actually hope they take some risks and go a bit beyond that. I want them to try a different (better) control scheme, and the world needs just a little *something* to incentivize exploration. I have no idea what that something is though. Of course, the dream is that they add new colossi. Even just 1 new one would make me ecstatic.

Fruit and white-tailed lizards didn't do it for ya? LOL.

I'm with you in every sense of your post.

Gbraga

Those of us who are expressing concern are mega-fans of SotC. From what I've seen in this trailer, I don't yet have confidence that the game's unique art style, animation, and overall vibe will be properly preserved by Bluepoint in this remake/remaster.

Team ICO has an instantly recognizable aesthetic to all of their work, and right now this project is lacking it IMO. It looks like a fan-made Unreal Engine homage to SotC, if that makes sense.

So, yes. Of course I'd love for everyone to be able to play SotC if they haven't already. But I'd rather they play something like the HD remaster since it's a more faithful modern update to the original. It's like when you're a fan of Watchmen the graphic novel and you meet people who've only seen Watchmen the movie. My heart breaks every time.

That being said, I hope for the sake of SotC that this remake ends up being worthwhile by the time of release. I've always loved Bluepoint's remasters in the past, and they proved to me with the Ico/SotC HD Collection that they have respect for the source material. I'll need to see more footage of the new game in action before I can pass further judgment on it.

To be clear, I understand why a remake would be attempted. The notion of a full-scale SotC remake that is faithful to the original's aesthetic and tone sounds amazing to me. I just don't want this remake to lose the unique characteristics of the original game that made it special to so many of us.

I completely agree.

gfxtwin

I agree with the sentiments that it looks like Bluepoint are struggling to get the ethereal lighting down, as I mentioned earlier. This game should NOT have a naturalistic, high contrast look like Horizon or something. It needs to look hazy and bathed in sunlight.

But I can't come down too hard on it because TBH I don't think we really saw any footage from an areas on the game's map that is a good showcase for the lighting.

Although based on this moment from the trailer it at least looks like they are trying to go for it:

Will know for sure after seeing clear footage of these areas:

jett

D-Member
^SotC has such GREAT world design. It makes you want to explore it for no other reason than exploration itself.

You know what really annoys me, that they announce a full-blown remake to a Team ICO game and then drop zero information about it. What's all this about? How do you do that with one of your crown jewels?

I totally understand the concern about the art direction.

I think in some areas, we have to accept that the modernizing of this game is going to add things that take away from what we are familiar with, but the artstyle particularly needs to be tuned.

Im ultimately okay with it. I can approach this saying "this is different, this is still very special". I think simply seeing the colossi on PS4 tech is enough for me to say "this is very special", and it's not the same, but that's okay too.

There are going to be tons of new players who experience this and will feel it too

Kinyou

Why are people concerned is bluepoint not like the best with remasters etc?

If I'm not mistaken this is the first time bluepoint has given a remaster an entirely upgraded look. Uncharted, mgs etc. had some minor details improved but this looks like a whole new challenge for the team.

ScOULaris

If I'm not mistaken this is the first time bluepoint has given a remaster an entirely upgraded look. Uncharted, mgs etc. had some minor details improved but this looks like a whole new challenge for the team.
Correct. This is the first time Bluepoint has taken on the task of creating all new modern HD assets for a game rather than working exclusively with existing assets. It's a whole new ballgame with this project, and they definitely have a tough task ahead of them given the game's distinctive aesthetic and diehard fanbase.

I would be over the moon if they end up nailing this, but I'd really need to see some more promising gameplay footage to alleviate my current concerns.

^SotC has such GREAT world design. It makes you want to explore it for no other reason than exploration itself.

You know what really annoys me, that they announce a full-blown remake to a Team ICO game and then drop zero information about it. What's all this about? How do you do that with one of your crown jewels?
Hey at least there was a trailer.
I still remember Ocarina of Time 3D getting dropped in some 3DS press pack screenshots just like "hey we also got this remake of that one game people seem to love I guess".

Top Bottom