• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

benzy

I dunno in what world this looks like amateur fans made it on UE4. Some ridiculous comments.

Lhxc.png

The "haze" is what I love about the original. It made everything look other-worldly. I hope they can recreate it.

I don't doubt that they will add it.

The colossi themselves look more full of life/animated. I don't think it's a bad thing at all, and what's necessary for a modern remake. But even that can be criticized as being unlike the original/losing its uniqueness.

I think some of that is going to be necessary, and we can't really have it any other way. After playing the originals for so long, it's going to look a little off to see the Colossi seem more animated. I remember the originals, while feeling limited by the tech of the PS2, felt like lumbering titans of stone.... it made them look like ancient entities, but they look more detailed and lack that ruggedness. The remake footage seems a bit cleaner and livelier.

a bit hard to explain...

There's a difference that is better seen in motion, but it just feels as if the originals were masking the limits of the tech, and in doing so, managed to make the world and colossi seem more unique?

Like, the modern day games look cleaner and detailed, and some people will have a problem with that, yet in some ways, it seems like what to expect out of a modern remake

EvB

That looks like the natural evolution of Team Ico's art design. SotCR just looks really different.

^
Totally agree

It's like the Halo Remasters, they just looked weird. Yeah there were rocks, but they weren't bungie rocks, yeah there were textures, but they weren't halo textures.

I never really got into this game despite really liking the art and atmosphere, the controls were too irritating for me.

Curious to see where this 'version' will go actually. I'm usually a massive purist as well but since I was never really that into it before, I'm looking forward to this actually. And yeah, definitely add that "haze" whatever it is, looks more surreal that way.

EDIT: Maybe a bit off topic, but I'm assuming that kind of confirms they're not working on a Demon's Souls remaster?

Magnet

Neo Member
I don't get why you'd remake a game that got a remaster last gen. Very confused by this decision.

The PS3 remaster was pretty decent for its time, but it's already starting to be a bit outdated. The remaster was an upscale - so not even a full 1080p. I think it's pretty easy to see why they'd want to remake such an ambitious and remarkable game with today's technical capabilities. I understand the concerns some people have with artistic changes that may come with the new assets, but I'm hopeful that overall it will turn out to be a faithful remake.

As much as I love the original SotC, the remaster did not excite me anywhere near as much as this remake does. This looks like a much bigger graphical leap, and I can't wait to experience this game again with this kind of face lift.

Has anyone posted about the framerate yet? It's too smooth in the trailer. Need that cinematic 15-25 FPS to maintain the feel of the original.

Seriously though, you guys are ridiculous with your nitpicking.

jett

D-Member
ua1ybdL.gif

GR6v53M.gif

I'm gonna go ahead and assume everything about Wander is very early cuz his tunic is behaving really strangely.

Whompa02

Looks good so far. SOTC is my favorite game of all time.

Needs a little more "bounce" and more hair physics and other stuff moving around on Wander. His animations right now seem solid but just need a little more things bopping around. Tunic needs to be slightly longer. He looks a little basic compared to his original look.

Also more dust particles! I imagine they're fine tuning all this stuff though.

Otherwise looking good. Colossi and Environments look spot on.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Some of the posts in here are just... sad. Ok, the game's art style isn't perfectly 1:1, but how does that detract from the game? People use unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence as a reason why the game is uninteresting or shouldn't have been made. Everyone who owned a PS2, PS3 or PS4 possibly haven't experienced the game. I myself own all the aforementioned consoles but never played SotC until the remaster but I couldn't tolerate it because of the controls. My hope is that the controls are streamlined in this remake. Well, I'm looking forward to the game even if some "fans" aren't.

Mcdohl

It's hard to put into words, but as much as I love SotC I am not excited about this.

Something just looks off. :/

Imo this was unnecessary. A PS2 classic would've done.

iFirez

I'm gonna go ahead and assume everything about Wander is very early cuz his tunic is behaving really strangely.
It's the main thing that stuck out to me, the cloak physics is super stiff. Wander also needs some hair physics going on on his head because his hair looks like it's from a Lego character.

ua1ybdL.gif

GR6v53M.gif

I never noticed how goofy Wander's run was in the original. He flails his arms like those kids who are told to run at recess and start crying as they're doing it because they don't want to

One of those "always meant to play it but never got to it" games for me, maybe this will push me to finally have at it. Trailer was gorgeous.

jett

D-Member
I never noticed how goofy Wander's run was in the original. He flails his arms like those kids who are told to run at recess and start crying as they're doing it because they don't want to

That's part of the ICO charm! :p The boy in TLG has a similar running cycle.

Looks good so far. SOTC is my favorite game of all time.

Needs a little more "bounce" and more hair physics and other stuff moving around on Wander. His animations right now seem solid but just need a little more things bopping around. Tunic needs to be slightly longer. He looks a little basic compared to his original look.

Also more dust particles! I imagine they're fine tuning all this stuff though.

Otherwise looking good. Colossi and Environments look spot on.

I think Wander's model here is totally placeholder.

gNPVsCu.png

TkLHFWw.png

Cuz this just looks wrong.

Any chances of them including some sorta remix version of the colossus weak points?
Like could they have a mode where they randomize their weak points or include even more weak points.

That would be great because I know this game inside out - I could speed run this in one sitting :D

Some of the posts in here are just... sad. Ok, the game's art style isn't perfectly 1:1, but how does that detract from the game? People use unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence as a reason why the game is uninteresting or shouldn't have been made. Everyone who owned a PS2, PS3 or PS4 possibly haven't experienced the game. I myself own all the aforementioned consoles but never played SotC until the remaster but I couldn't tolerate it because of the controls. My hope is that the controls are streamlined in this remake. Well, I'm looking forward to the game even if some "fans" aren't.

Because the art style was a huge part of the game's appeal. You could even argue that the art style and design are the reason the game was made at all, its a bit like the cinematic platformer games like Out of this World or Limbo like that. Super simple gameplay to facilitate the player being able to properly soak in the spectacle of the world and images being presented to them. Ico and The Last Guardian are the same way. So when the game doesn't look right, its a big deal.

Kodros

I only played a little back in the PS2 era. Then I tried to get back into with the PS3 remaster and man, I fought the camera the entire time and everything just felt clunky. I had to stop playing. I hope this game modernizes some of that.

RomeoDog

Banned
I totally understand people downplaying the graphics. I think their weak too and that this game should have lighting at least on par with The Last Guardian. It shouldn't be vibrant but it should have reason to be remastered. I want the HDR mode to shine.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm very excited for this. Shadow of the Colossus is one of those games I'll buy every time it's released on a new platform. Ditto for Ico.

I still have my PS2 discs of Ico and SotC, and I have the remaster collection too. I'll be picking up the PS4 one as well. SotC is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'll still pop it in at least once a year to get lost in the world again. I hope Bluepoint retains some of the atmospheric effects that made the PS2 game so unique.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Cannot freaking wait to play this baby again! God I freaking love this game so much. BluePoint gonna do it justice, best believe.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Thread is great. I never imagined that people would be complaining about crap LOD masking fog not being in a game.

gfxtwin

I hope Wander's character model is tweaked to aesthetically resemble a balance of the more naturalistic look it has now and the more anime/cell animation look of the kid in TLG.

Sucks that this won't be able to be dissected to shit by PC dudes. Always loved those vids where they searched the files or went out of bounds and found shit.

Man, I'm so hype for this. Sure, some stuff looks off, but this hype won't die!

the mark

Imagine starting the game and all of a sudden there are 24 statues in the starting area instead of 16. :-O

Edit: Arguing about definitions like "remake or remaster" never makes much sense.

Laplasakos

I totally understand people downplaying the graphics. I think their weak too and that this game should have lighting at least on par with The Last Guardian. It shouldn't be vibrant but it should have reason to be remastered. I want the HDR mode to shine.

I don't think people are downplaying the graphics. Most of the comments are positive with the only exception being Wander's model which looks like a placeholder.

Btw people, imagine if the next Bluepoint project is Demon's Souls remaster/remake in the same vein as SotC now...

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Because the art style was a huge part of the game's appeal. You could even argue that the art style and design are the reason the game was made at all, its a bit like the cinematic platformer games like Out of this World or Limbo like that. Super simple gameplay to facilitate the player being able to properly soak in the spectacle of the world and images being presented to them. Ico and The Last Guardian are the same way. So when the game doesn't look right, its a big deal.

Well, the game doesn't release for some time so the claims that the game shouldn't have been made are a tad, hmmm...extreme in my opinion. If people don't like something, fine don't play it. People can go on pretending the game doesn't exist or simply play the remaster and get on with their lives but the game being exposed to a new generation of players shouldn't have any bearing on vexed fans. People here have made uninformed and premature assumptions, how about we wait until near release or release to dismantle the game. It's a work in progress. It just seems like we're so eager to hate something and I don't understand why. People beg and plead for these remasters and remakes, Sony taps into their sense of nostalgia and then when people see the things they've begged for, they act as if some cardinal sin has been committed.

CHC

Weird how they decided to remake this instead of ICO. I didn't think SotC aged THAT bad. But hey, I'll take it!

In my mind it actually aged worse, just because it's more demanding of the player. Ico is more about exploring and solving some problems, whereas SotC actually needs you to execute on some moderately challenging stuff. The frame rate and controls are really unbearable by today's standards.

I think the rendering in this probably looks at least as advanced as Last Guardian to be honest. And the fidelity still makes the art really shine. It is a stunning game.

Dragun619

It just looks beautifully awesome. Bluepoint knows whats up. Only hoping they have Ueda involved somewhere, even if he only gives them his blessings.

UrbanRats

ua1ybdL.gif

GR6v53M.gif

Yeah he looks weird.
Though the running animation was always shit, especially if you look at it from the side, it becomes obvious.

Top Bottom