• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

Jigorath

Banned
I agree with the sentiments that it looks like Bluepoint are struggling to get the ethereal lighting down, as I mentioned earlier. This game should NOT have a naturalistic, high contrast look like Horizon or something. It needs to look hazy and bathed in sunlight.

But I can't come down too hard on it because TBH I don't think we really saw any footage from an areas on the game's map that is a good showcase for the lighting.

Although based on this moment from the trailer it at least looks like they are trying to go for it:

Will know for sure after seeing clear footage of these areas:

Man, Shadow of the Colossus had such amazing art direction. Sure the framerate wasn't too hot but I could forgive it since the game was doing things no other PS2 title was even attempting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Those of us who are expressing concern are mega-fans of SotC. From what I've seen in this trailer, I don't yet have confidence that the game's unique art style, animation, and overall vibe will be properly preserved by Bluepoint in this remake/remaster.

Team ICO has an instantly recognizable aesthetic to all of their work, and right now this project is lacking it IMO. It looks like a fan-made Unreal Engine homage to SotC, if that makes sense.
Hmm, I really disagree. I think they've nailed that look, while making the graphics up to today's shader spec. The obvious difference is that this remake is using PB rendering, where the old game (and TLG) do not, but that should always be attributed to the fact that the tech was not available at the time (or in the case of TLG, it would require rework of too much that was already done), rather than a conscious decision.

Other than that change, which makes everything much more cg-like and cohesive, I still see the hazy mists and stark overbrights that are characteristic of Ueda's games. Old game is not going to disappear - it's on PS3, it's emulated on PC - I feel that this is a natural progression of what that game would/should look like if it was made today.

Shin-Ra

If Bluepoint's jobs page is up to date, they're still looking for a senior 3D character artist and they've got plenty of time to make improvements to colour grading etc.

Shin-Ra

There's probably more re-uploads on other channels for God of War but the Shadow of the Colossus trailer has a respectable 591K views vs 668K for GoW on the official PlayStation channel.

raviolico

Hmm, I really disagree. I think they've nailed that look, while making the graphics up to today's shader spec. The obvious difference is that this remake is using PB rendering, where the old game (and TLG) do not, but that should always be attributed to the fact that the tech was not available at the time (or in the case of TLG, it would require rework of too much that was already done), rather than a conscious decision.

Other than that change, which makes everything much more cg-like and cohesive, I still see the hazy mists and stark overbrights that are characteristic of Ueda's games. Old game is not going to disappear - it's on PS3, it's emulated on PC - I feel that this is a natural progression of what that game would/should look like if it was made today.

TLG does not using PBR? I thought so.

JawzPause

Honestly surprised at how this threads turned out with all of the negative reactions. This game is a genre of its own and I'm just happy that one of my favourite games is getting a current gen remaster.

Hopefully this leads to a potential sequel being made...

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
There's probably more re-uploads on other channels for God of War but the Shadow of the Colossus trailer has a respectable 591K views vs 668K for GoW on the official PlayStation channel.
With the recent love of open world games, SOTC will get a whole new audience.

Unknown?

Honestly surprised at how this threads turned out with all of the negative reactions. This game is a genre of its own and I'm just happy that one of my favourite games is getting a current gen remaster.

Yeah... I didn't think it looked bad at all.

I got to say on retrospect, I have to agree. The game is going to lose quite a bit of what made it so aesthetically memorable if it doesn't have that soft lightning and dreamlike aura.

The upgraded colossi look amazing as does the new textures, but if they can't re-capture those aspects that gave the world its lonely melancholy atmosphere, this will be a lesser version even with the graphical upgrade.

There will always be some form of criticism when you alter a classic. Nothing unusual about it. The overwhelming sentiment is one of happiness, though.

I got to say on retrospect, I have to agree. The game is going to lose quite a bit of what made it so aesthetically memorable if it doesn't that soft lightning and dreamlike aura.

The upgraded colossi look amazing as does the new textures, but if they can't re-capture those aspects that gave the world its lonely melancholy atmosphere, this will be a lesser version even with the graphical upgrade.
Any reasonable chance we're only seeing early footage and that those areas will see some more passes?

I got to say on retrospect, I have to agree. The game is going to lose quite a bit of what made it so aesthetically memorable if it doesn't have that soft lightning and dreamlike aura.

Just think, we still have the minimalist, dream-like, watercolor-esque original. It's such a cliche thing to say but I feel it's apt here because I think if they preserved every detail on top of adding everything else, it comes off as a cheap deviantart/fan art. But giving it its own visual idenetity is crucial to it standing on its own, imo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TLG does not using PBR? I thought so.
I think it doesn't. Or maybe it does, but doesn't benefit that visibly from it - there are a few games that are like that.

I got to say on retrospect, I have to agree. The game is going to lose quite a bit of what made it so aesthetically memorable if it doesn't have that soft lightning and dreamlike aura. The upgraded colossi look amazing as does the new textures, but if they can't re-capture those aspects that gave the world its lonely melancholy atmosphere, this will be a lesser version even with the graphical upgrade.
But it has all that. I'm looking at the trailer with all these criticisms in mind, but I still see it has that distinct kind of look to overblown highlights, hazy DOF (just pushed a bit further back), heavy haze (again just pushed back more), the thick fog in the marsh area, dusty looking stone structures... Practically every scene looks how I have it fondly remembered in my mind, which I think is a very good thing.

Also his running animation looks way better than before, while also retaining that slightly jittery feel of the original - it just doesn't look glitched like it was before, and it runs smoother.

A-V-B

Just think, we still have the minimalist, dream-like, watercolor-esque original. It's such a cliche thing to say but I feel it's apt here because I think if they preserved every detail on top of adding everything else, it comes off as a cheap deviantart/fan art. But giving it its own visual idenetity is crucial to it standing on its own, imo.

Then it's a game heavily inspired by Shadow of the Colossus, isn't it? If it must have its own distinct identity to stand out, it's not a remaster.

Then it's a game heavily inspired by Shadow of the Colossus, isn't it? If it must have its own distinct identity to stand out, it's not a remaster.
I mean, something to make it worth rereleasing.

SotC is my favorite thing of all time. It doesn't bother me that it looks "different". They're not going for a sci-fi or modern day setting. It isn't hyper-stylized or drastically altered to be hip and new. Instead they're just visualizing a painting in a slightly more realistic aesthetic. Almost like a photograph to Ueda's painting.

I can appreciate that. Not like I wouldn't take the alternative, but I have my memories and HD remaster. Now I can't wait to see the world again with a slightly different take.

Edit: and I think the original's lighting went well with the graphical limitations of its time. It's why I prefer Ueda's sketches to the clean lined recreations of his work seen in fanart. And that's what this graphical style with "truer" lighting looks like in my head now that I'm imagining it lol. Like a beefier Gravity Rush cell-shaded look. Not terrible, but not what I imagine a graphical showcase SotC to look like.

OnFire331

Looks great graphically but they kind of ruined the iconic artstyle Ueda games have. The lighting is completely flat which removes the mystical atmosphere of the original.

MUnited83

For you.
I think it doesn't. Or maybe it does, but doesn't benefit that visibly from it - there are a few games that are like that.

But it has all that. I'm looking at the trailer with all these criticisms in mind, but I still see it has that distinct kind of look to overblown highlights, hazy DOF (just pushed a bit further back), heavy haze (again just pushed back more), the thick fog in the marsh area, dusty looking stone structures... Practically every scene looks how I have it fondly remembered in my mind, which I think is a very good thing.

Also his running animation looks way better than before, while also retaining that slightly jittery feel of the original - it just doesn't look glitched like it was before, and it runs smoother.
I agree. Honestly looks exactly like O would expect of Shadow of Colossus in 2018. All the feel is very much still there.

Sweet!

Plus hopefully the large interest in TLG keeps getting a ton of people to check out this trailer over time too.

I mean, something to make it worth rereleasing.

SotC is my favorite thing of all time. It doesn't bother me that it looks "different". They're not going for a sci-fi or modern day setting. It isn't hyper-stylized or drastically altered to be hip and new. Instead they're just visualizing a painting in a slightly more realistic aesthetic. Almost like a photograph to Ueda's painting.

I can appreciate that. Not like I wouldn't take the alternative, but I have my memories and HD remaster. Now I can't wait to see the world again with a slightly different take.

Edit: and I think the original's lighting went well with the graphical limitations of its time. It's why I prefer Ueda's sketches to the clean lined recreations of his work seen in fanart. And that's what this graphical style with "truer" lighting looks like in my head now that I'm imagining it lol. Like a beefier Gravity Rush cell-shaded look. Not terrible, but not what I imagine a graphical showcase SotC to look like.
I'll quote myself as I realize I could look at TLG as an example but that leads to another point.

I'm no graphical expert so I don't know what would need to give to keep the game performing well (unlike TLG) but if a non-Ueda team is doing non-Ueda lighting and the game still looks gorgeous and runs great, that's hardly a bad thing.

OnFire331

704,637 views on the PlayStation channel video. The size of the SotC fanbase probably grew a lot over the years. It happened to Persona with Persona 5 and to Nier with Automata. WoM is a pretty powerful thing.

gfxtwin

I'll quote myself as I realize I could look at TLG as an example but that leads to another point.

I'm no graphical expert so I don't know what would need to give to keep the game performing well (unlike TLG) but if a non-Ueda team is doing non-Ueda lighting and the game still looks gorgeous and runs great, that's hardly a bad thing.

Except if it looks like it could have been made by any AAA team, it loses something important. There is an esoteric, difficult to pinpoint aesthetic in the original game that makes it enigmatic and beautiful, and that is a large part of it's appeal. It's the thing that makes it a team Ico game. If that quality is lost, I think I will prefer an HD version of the original.

From a purely technical perspective, it looks much better than the original. I just find myself disappointed that they used the new tech to make it pretty instead of further the design intent of the original aesthetic.

All the vegetation and so many birds really take away from the all alone in a cursed land vibe for me. To say nothing of the how the lighting doesn't capture that dream before you wake feel. The world holds far less mystery without the fog that engulfs it.

I want to be happy that more people are experiencing SotC but in the back of mind I can't help but think this is like watching the movie of a book you should have read in class and thinking that you got the entire experience.

From a purely technical perspective, it looks much better than the original. I just find myself disappointed that they used the new tech to make it pretty instead of further the design intent of the original aesthetic
Personally, I'd only really trust Ueda to expand on anything

Actually, is he involved with this?

Shin-Ra

I didn't notice an increase in birds, the trailer closeups actually hide a bunch of them.

FirstStab.gif

As much as I agree with a lot of the minor concerns some have, I imagine all of this will be fine tuned by release.

Hopefully by "fine tuned", you also mean that they will include the cut colossi that we've seen over the years ;)

If BluePoint does that, I will buy 10 copies of this game.

I'm not even joking.

NewGame

Banned
Not sure how this is supposed to improve on the PS2 version, let alone the HD remake...

Still going to buy and play it until I can get the
garden of eden fruits

UrbanRats

This cut colossi thing is so weird.
It's a bit like wanting a remake of a movie to include all the deleted scenes.
They were cut for a reason.

If they include it as a side thing, that's fine, though.

gfxtwin

ENOUGH WITH THE CUT COLOSSI. The game is fine as is and doesn't need to be meddled with unless it's via the original dev team.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
ya'll HONESTLY think they're going to add in the deleted colossi?

okay

Doubtful, otherwise his company GenDesign would be credited.

Been wondering this myself, but since both he and genDesign have been silent on Twitter, I think it's safe to say they're not involved.

I might actually be OK with this. At the relatively slow rate that Ueda puts out games, we'll be lucky if we get 5-6 out of him in his entire career. Let him focus his energy on whatever his next project is.

UrbanRats

Technical reasons actually.

I don't think they'd be inherently good or bad, but the point is, "art from adversity" and all that, George Lucas having no restrictions, back on the special editions, actually fucked with aspects of those movies.
As i said i don't think this should be just a strict recreation, i'm fine with them playing around with it, but it could end up back firing, adding cut Colossi (with pacing first and foremost).

I'd prefer it as a separate mode or an extra, or something like that.

jett

D-Member
ENOUGH WITH THE CUT COLOSSI. The game is fine as is and doesn't need to be meddled with unless it's via the original dev team.

Seriously, I think some people haven't even seen those cut colossi. A lot of them look like prototypes of what actually made it to the game. They're redundant. Then there are the pointless ones like the spider colossus walking on the field which I can't even see how it would work.

They were cut for a reason. Trust the original team that worked on this game.

Top Bottom