• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus Trailer PS4 (E3 2017)

gfxtwin

This confirms what I thought earlier about the locations in the trailer not being ones you can use to accurately gauge the extent of how true to the original's art style the remake is. Aside from Wander, who looks way more naturalistic than an Ueda character should look IMO, it seems to be impressively true to the aesthetic of the original so far. We won't know for sure though until we see footage of the more surreal, dreamy locations.

jett

D-Member
Just found out you can get a decent glance of Wander's face when streaming the trailer in 4K:

cVxjGjp.png

I didn't know Wander descended from neanderthals.

I have to assume that model is going to get trashed entirely but it's concerning it exists. It keeps nothing of the original art style.

300px-Wander.jpg

gfxtwin

Yep, they need to study The Last Guardian and go for a more cell shaded anime look. Wander looks awkward af in the style of a hyperrealistic AAA game character.

Just found out you can get a decent glance of Wander's face when streaming the trailer in 4K:

cVxjGjp.png

Who the fuck is that?

I have to assume that model is going to get trashed entirely but it's concerning it exists. It keeps nothing of the original art style.

300px-Wander.jpg

Yeah, don't mess with this face and Mono's. They can improve them without changing it too much.

BigEmil

Its releasing in 2018 they didn't say early 2018 so there is still alot of time for Bluepoint to do the remastering properly.

Maybe send them your thoughts, complaints, nitpicks so they can address and fix the issue, I don't think they read gaf

jett

D-Member
Its releasing in 2018 they didn't say early 2018 so there is still alot of time for Bluepoint to do the remastering properly.

Maybe send them your thoughts, complaints, nitpicks so they can address and fix the issue, I don't think they read gaf

I've sent them two emails over the years asking about the changed grip physics in the SotC remaster.

They never answered.

The PS3 remaster already fixed the framerate. It's a locked 30 as far as I know.

It still drops a bit occasionally, especially in 1080p mode. If you want the classic PS2 experience you can get it by playing in 3D. :p

jett

D-Member
Guess I'm in the minority here but I think he looks OK in this shot. Different from the original, yes, more like an actual person.

I loves me some actual purple-haired persons.

Really misguided notion to make him look realistic. Maybe that's what I don't like about this remake and couldn't place it beforehand. They made everything look photorealistic.

Whompa02

Guess I'm in the minority here but I think he looks OK in this shot. Different from the original, yes, more like an actual person.

Yeah tbh I expected a lot worse. This doesn't seem bad. I do think that model as well as lightning/rendering will go through some refinements before the final ship regardless.

I've sent them two emails over the years asking about the changed grip physics in the SotC remaster.

They never answered.

It still drops a bit occasionally, especially in 1080p mode. If you want the classic PS2 experience you can get it by playing in 3D. :p
Ah ok, thanks. Didn't know there were drops. Didn't even know it had a 1080p mode. Thought it was 720p all this time.

The grip physics were changed in the remaster? I thought the colossi were just more aggressive and shook their heads/bodies more.

simple_sleep

Neo Member
This cut colossi thing is so weird.
It's a bit like wanting a remake of a movie to include all the deleted scenes.
They were cut for a reason.

If they include it as a side thing, that's fine, though.

Most were cut due to technical and development time reasons. In a sense, this would be the right opportunity to fully realise the original vision of the game.

A-V-B

He looks fine, people are overreacting.

I mean, he looks like a human being, but he doesn't look like the kind of determined, legendary lone hunter who could take down 16 colossi and survive being stomped on, smashed, and dropped from massive heights. Who doesn't care which sacred rules he flagrantly disobeys because reviving his love is his single drive that propels him to insane action. Ueda was able to express that through Wander's face!

In that photo he kind of looks like a doof. So that's GOT to be a placeholder.

black070

I loves me some actual purple-haired persons.

Really misguided notion to make him look realistic. Maybe that's what I don't like about this remake and couldn't place it beforehand. They made everything look photorealistic.

It personally looks about as good as I could possibily imagine it.

Mauddib

Banned

300px-Wander.jpg

Yeah... no, absolutely awful.

Oof. Do not want. This remake/remaster seems to have lost a lot of the Team Ico aesthetic.

Who the fuck is that?

Yeah, don't mess with this face and Mono's. They can improve them without changing it too much.

Jesus what the fuck guys? They just took a white dude and turned him brown. Calm the fuck down, ya racists.

gfxtwin

IMO the best thing they can do with his face is to import it from the original game and give him more polygons and slightly accentuate that style for emotional effect. And also make his character model as a whole a bit more stylized, like the kid in TLG.

The Colossi and environments look fantastic so far though, like how I'd imagine a game made by Team Ico directly collaborating 50/50 with another AAA studio might appear.

gfxtwin

That's a very ugly Wander. :/

He's not brown, that's just the lighting.

And Wander being very pale is kind of important to the game's plot.

Other than maybe being an aesthetic choice to make the gradual transformation he goes through read better, visually, it is not important to the plot.

Zomba13

So is this game more considered like a Remaster or a Remake? I can't fundamentally make the difference...

To me a Remaster is where they just put the game on something new with better resolution and AA and maybe touch up the textures (or the textures can now look like they should thanks to the better resolution). A Remake is when you do a big overhaul, new models and geometry, new lighting, new textures, when the devs actually remake major elements of the game.

Going from the trailer this is definitely a remake to me as opposed to a remaster because of how much is remade. There is that comparison video posted in the topic that compares it to the original and you can see how much has been added changed.

RRockman

Banned
I like how you guys are seriously nitpicking Wander's face while just catching a glance from it in an E3 trailer, where it's pretty obvious things are subject to change between E3 and release.

As much as I appreciate the "enhancements", the compromising of aesthetics destroys the atmosphere of the original. But then again, that was a Team ICO design. Translating that to next-gen might be more of a challenger than ever without the guidance of Ueda.

To me a Remaster is where they just put the game on something new with better resolution and AA and maybe touch up the textures (or the textures can now look like they should thanks to the better resolution). A Remake is when you do a big overhaul, new models and geometry, new lighting, new textures, when the devs actually remake major elements of the game.

Going from the trailer this is definitely a remake to me as opposed to a remaster because of how much is remade. There is that comparison video posted in the topic that compares it to the original and you can see how much has been added changed.

Alright, thanks for the infos! Considering the amount of work they had to do to get that graphical fidelity I can agree too on the definition of a Remake.

Top Bottom