• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machine Games are good people.

Zushin

I shared this in the Wolfenstein announcement thread but thought I'd make a separate thread to spread the love about great the folks at Machine Games are.
-------------------

On January 28 2015 my Dad unfortunately took his life. Back when I was a kid we used to love playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein together and that game holds a special place in my heart. A few months after Dad's passing I got in contact with one of the Machine Games developers on twitter with whom I had been following since TNO announcement. I sent him a message saying how much I appreciated TNO as it had provided some comfort during this tough time and was a good reminder of the good times we had.

The developer offered me his condolences and was glad that their game had been of help to me. A couple weeks went by, and he sent me another message asking for my postal address. After about a month a package from Sweden arrived at my doorstep containing a copy of the game signed by about 20 odd members of the development team and a really heart felt message to go along with it (which I have now framed!).

Suffice to say I was blown away by this gesture. To think that complete strangers on the other side of the world gave some semblance of a shit during a really terrible period of my life truly gave me some joy. I still keep in contact with the dev occasionally and even have been offered to catch up if I ever find myself in Sweden!

YxxXeZT.jpg

-------------------------
Thought I'd share this as a bit of a feel good story and for anyone maybe on the fence about Wolf2 :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
Machine Games are good people. The New Order was such a wonderful surprise, and the sequel looks like a fucking fearless treasure.

These people give a shit.

Glad to hear your story OP

Im sorry for your loss. Good to know you are doing much better.

Machine Games is great. Glad it helped you. TNO is one of the best shooters in a long time and it has one of the best soundtracks as well. This is awesome of them.

Saw 2 long interviews with Jens Matthies this week, one by Danny O'Dwyer and one on GB's night shows. Seems like a really awesome guy.

Zushin

Machine Games are good people. The New Order was such a wonderful surprise, and the sequel looks like a fucking fearless treasure.

These people give a shit.

Glad to hear your story OP

Im sorry for your loss. Good to know you are doing much better.

Machine Games is great. Glad it helped you. TNO is one of the best shooters in a long time and it has one of the best soundtracks as well. This is awesome of them.

Thanks guys :)

TNO isn't a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination but man, if someone asked me which games had a "soul", that would be by the top of the list. Sorry for your loss OP but glad to see the Dev response.

Kudo

Sorry for your loss, hopefully you're alright now.

Truly dear gesture from the devs, definitely keeping my eyes open for their game if I can find a good deal somewhere.

Cracklox

Judging by your av OP, that really did go all the way around the world.
C'arn the bombers!

Cool story too, no sarcasm intended. I really like hearing about devs who do those sorts of things for their customers. Or any business really. Just when you think you might be just another number to them, you get something awesome and personalized like that. Proves that actual humans, with actual feelings and emotions work at these places too.

Sorry for your loss, OP.

It's really nice to see these kind of stories, I'm sure it meant a lot to them as it meant to you. Having someone reach out to them, saying how their game helped them out... I mean, that's probably why they dream of making games in the first place.

Lovely gesture from Machine Games. These guys deserve all the credibility they need. I honestly cannot wait for TNC. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

Piichan

Banned
I'm sorry for your loss. Really cool gesture of Machine games and a way of honoring some good memories you had with your dad.

If you do go to Sweden, update this thread!

Zushin

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I'm sorry for your loss. Really cool gesture of Machine games and a way of honoring some good memories you had with your dad.

If you do go to Sweden, update this thread!

Oh I definitely will! Fiscally bound to Australia at the moment but will definitely save for a Euro trip at some stage haha.

Sorry for your loss, OP.

Machine Games seem like great guys, and it's really nice to see them going out of their way to show respect to a fan in your situation.

Zushin

Sorry for your loss, OP.

Machine Games seem like great guys, and it's really nice to see them going out of their way to show respect to a fan in your situation.

Definitely! Hopefully TNC sells gangbusters, these guys deserve success and good karma :)

ilikeme

That's a very touching story. Sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you shared this, the people at Machine Games really seem to be cool people.

And be sure to visit Sweden, we are a pretty cool place :)

Robot Pants

Wow that is an amazing gesture. They are definitely a group of fabulous people kudos to them for what they did.
And not only all that, but god DAMN can they make a videogame.

DOWN

Banned
<3 Lovely OP. Sorry for your loss.

Even better is that they are talented and have built up one of the best FPS franchises this gen. Their writing and voice acting are up their with the best, so Wolfenstein 2 is a no brainer purchase.

Really glad they reached out to you OP.

jacobeid

Banned
I didn't need another reason to convince me to buy Wolfenstein, but this certainly makes me feel good doing so. I'm very sorry for your loss, OP. Life isn't fair but at least there are some good people or there to make it a bit brighter.

SirNinja

My condolences on your loss, OP. And what a fantastic gesture from MachineGames. (I would say New Colossus just shot up to the top of my purchase queue, but it was already there.)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Stay strong, OP.

And kudos to Machine Games for being awesome people all around.

Budi

Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing this story. I love to see every little bit of goodness in this world.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Really lovely story, OP. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I'm truly sorry to hear of your father's passing. My condolences to you and your family.

kogasu

Sorry to hear about your father OP.

This is an incredibly kind gesture from an incredible developer. <333 Fantastic game too.

Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom