• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was I racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgoth

Banned
So I work for a retail store that also has a liquor store. I sometimes cover breaks in the liquor store. I did that today. I'm checking out a guest at the register. I see he got a shandy multi-pack. I being someone who loves the grapefruit and watermelon shandies ask this man if he has had the watermelon shandy. He said no but loves the grapefruit shandy. And then it clicks in my head what I said could be considered racist. The guy was African-American. I was just asking if he had it and that it was good. But after the transaction I felt bad because what I said could be considered racist even though that was not my intention. So GAF. Was I racist?

Although thinking about, having those thoughts after the fact - associating black people with watermelons - is pretty darn racist.

You ought to be ashamed!

If you were just commenting on the fact that you enjoy the watermelon shandy, and you would have made the same comment to any other person regardless of ethnicity, then no, you're not racist.

However, perhaps the next time you could emphasize the fact that you've tried the watermelon shandy and comment on how delicious it is to mitigate any potential misunderstandings.

Or, don't make the comment at all. Sometimes people will take small talk the wrong way.

Morgoth

Banned
I wasn't thinking that me saying that was racist. Im just saying because that is a sterotype some people could be offended by what I said. If that guy was then i would feel terrible. People react to things differently.

If the story in legit, then not intentionally racist. But I guarantee the guy felt some kind of way when you mentioned watermelon.

Morgoth

Banned
If you were just commenting on the fact that you enjoy the watermelon shandy, and you would have made the same comment to any other person regardless of ethnicity, then no, you're not racist.

However, perhaps the next time you could emphasize the fact that you've tried the watermelon shandy and comment on how delicious it is to mitigate any potential misunderstandings.

Or, don't make the comment at all. Sometimes people will take small talk the wrong way.
I would say I love the watermelon shandy to anyone. I did say I tried and loved it. If someone walks into the store buying a shandy pack. I would tell them,"The watermelon shandy is good. One of my favorites".

giphy.gif

Morgoth

Banned
Maybe I phrased the question incorrectly. Not was I racist. But, Did What I say be considered racist. Mods, title change!!!!

Once you realized that that was potentially racist you should have raced after him to explain that you absolutely didn't mean it in a racist way, that you are definitely not a racist and that you have lots of black Internet friends

Zolo

It sucks that liking watermelon is a racist stereotype when it's awesome. Then again, I find a lot of the stereotypical food tends to be food loved in the south.

Fat4all

Banned
Once you realized that that was potentially racist you should have raced after him to explain that you absolutely didn't mean it in a racist way, that you are definitely not a racist and that you have lots of black Internet friends

"Hey!"
*huff-huff*
"Stay right there! I just made a thread on Gaf and I need to check something!"

caliph95

You should feel ashamed of yourself how dare you? one day you suggest watermelons then the next you will be telling them they should be happy their ancestors was slaves
Obviously the only solution

Also it doesn't seem like the guy took it that way you may be overreacting

This rates a 2/10 on the racism'o'meter.

Honestly though it seems you didn't offend the guy and it was probably clear to him that you didn't mean any ill-will and were making a genuine inquiry you'd have made to anyone.

It wasnt because you like the flavor, but I wouldnt ask another black person unless you know them. I know if I was at the store and some random person was inquiring about my enjoyment of a watermelon flavored item, I would be very suspect about that person.

I would say I love the watermelon shandy to anyone. I did say I tried and loved it. If someone walks into the store buying a shandy pack. I would tell them,"The watermelon shandy is good. One of my favorites".

Then I'd think nothing of it. You've got the right intentions, and that's what matters.

However, the small talk bit doesn't change. Some people just take things the wrong way. My dad went to a grocery store once to stock up on liquor, and the cashier casually asked him, "looks like you're having a party tonight", to which my dad exploded, "that's none of your business."

:/

Morgoth

Banned
It wasnt because you like the flavor, but I wouldnt ask another black person unless you know them. I know if I was at the store and some random person was inquiring about my enjoyment of a watermelon flavored item, I would be very suspect about that person.
Exactly. When I said it I wasn't thinking about the guys race at all. Just telling him this stuff damn amazing. But then after he left. I realized the guy could've taken what I said the wrong way. And that was not my intention. I would've felt awful if that was the case. I dont want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Mechazawa

Still kind of a strange thing to worry about if the guy didn't call you out on it or something.

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of people probably just get used to that kind of low-key racism and don't make it a point to confront someone every time someone does something like that.

That said, I wouldn't worry about it OP. It's nice that you're taking time to reflect on how the little things we say can be misconstrued as racist due to the small everyday racial jabs some people put up with, but you can't really do anything about it now. And you at least mentioned that it's legitimately your favorite.

Exactly. When I said it I wasn't thinking about the guys race at all. Just telling him this stuff damn amazing. But then after he left. I realized the guy could've taken what I said the wrong way. And that was not my intention. I would've felt awful if that was the case. I dont want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Not saying you were, but the guy probably thought so. It sucks, but blame racist assholes for setting up the playing field.

gun_haver

you made a minor faux pas

it might make you cringe if it pops into your head a few months from now. other than that i don't think it warrants reflection.

you know your own heart, friend. if it's pure and loving then don't fret too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom