• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you cope with getting older?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelation

I can't help but constantly think about the fact that every breath i take i'm growing older. I have always been very aware of the passing of time and it really bugs me, the fact that there's nothing that we can really do to stop it and eventually our time here will run out as we slowly but surely turn into less capable (and less attractive) versions of ourselves.

I just don't know how to come to terms with it and don't think i ever will. I am not afraid of dying... i am afraid of getting old which i honestly (and wrongly i bet) consider a worse fate than dying young.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
1. Find someone older than you and complain to them
2. Be chastened for a while since you have no right to complain and they will lose their shit at you
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you're the oldest person you know
4. Complain incessantly about being old.

I'm guessing you're, what... 19? 20?

pixelation

1. Find someone older than you and complain to them
2. Be chastened for a while since you have no right to complain and they will lose their shit at you
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you're the oldest person you know
4. Complain incessantly about being old.

I'm guessing you're, what... 19? 20?
Ha, my Mom is highly religious so i'd rather not get reprimended lol.
OP are you in your early 20s?

Ptaaty

Maybe make your path be improvement as you age? Add skills, education, build wealth,train your body. My fear isn't age per se...it's being unhealthy or chronic illness.

I'm 40 and look better and have way more money and skill than when I was 20. I still loved being young more due to what I didn't have in responsibility. Just enjoy each phase of life for what it brings.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
32 here (going on 33 in October) and while getting older definitely sucks, I've tried to make it a bit easier by doing things that I should have done more of in my 20s if not for dealing with life's issues. These include traveling more, eating healthier, working out, being more active in dating, and just enjoying way more of life's pleasure's while you're still healthy.

edit:

GODDAMN IT

Mods, close this thread already! :mad:

Embrace death and you'll be fine.
Getting older is not an issue, the issue is maintaining a good health. You're better off 60 and healthy than 25 and sick. Fear of aging is fear of death, which is normal. Nobody can be truly free without accepting mortality.

Astral Dog

By (trying) enjoying every moment/meditation.

Eventually i learned that despite the passing of time/age its the mental health and capacity of enjoying experiences thats most precious, and i been trying to change my old way of thinking so i can enjoy the next decade :^) basically making the most of the time left

Lothar

Banned
Just wait until you realize that each year, the time will go by faster and faster. You don't even have as much time as you think you do right now.

Wag

cassandra.jpg

Just live an adventurous life. Go mountaineering in dangerous winter conditions. Go backpacking in grizzly bear country. Go surfing in 15+ foot swells. When you live like that, you'll be so preoccupied with not dying in the present moment that you won't have the time or energy to worry about aging. Plus, if you DO manage to survive to an old age, you'll have a bunch of kickass stories to tell!

For more advice of a similar nature, I direct you here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShittyLifeProTips/

I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of getting old which I honestly consider a worse fate than dying young.

The yearbook quote of someone who tweets/texts "YOLO" right before doing something incredibly stupid and reckless that gets them seriously injured or killed.

20? Seriously?

Just try to have some fun and stop worrying about useless shit.

You and that one guy who was freaked out at the concept of time dilation (I may be remembering that wrong...) should meet up and have a beer and fucking CHILL

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You're on gaf. Surely you know that when we get old we're going to be playing Halo 27 in VR while traveling around the world in our self-driving cars. None of that bingo at the senior home shit.

In the meantime, just make the most out of your day. To some people, it's building a career. Others like throwing caution to the wind and travel around the world. Others still like just sitting in and doing whatever they enjoy on the couch. Find your priorities, make sure you dip into the others occasionally and just try to enjoy it all.

While your body may get older, your mind and soul can only grow stronger and wiser. And it's not like there aren't a ton of incredibly fit 50+ year olds.

Kthulhu

I don't see a downside. My only concern is my body will no longer function properly, which is of course more likely the older I get. And that I will die feeling like I haven't experienced enough.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I remember posting when I was 20 on gaming-age forums...in 2004. Hell, I probably started posting shortly after the OP was out of diapers. It was part of my routine - shortly after getting up for school, eating breakfast, I would internet after firing up the modem for 15-20 minutes.

Apt101

giphy.gif

I'm not going to lie, I felt the same way in my early and mid 20s. However, once I get older, I realized how stupid I was for thinking like this.

Haha, yea. I remember when I was 25 thinking "oh god so close to thirty. I've accomplished so little. I am so old". Now I'm well into my thirties and when I meet people who are 25 they seem like children. The things that troubled me back then would be welcome compared to my troubles now. And I'm not even old! I bet someone who is like 45 is reading my post right now and thinking to themselves "shut the fuck up baby".

Since Im balding but grow a sweed beard, I have made it my goal to be a huge ass scary looking bald dude with lots of tattoos so people will be too intimidated by my presence to notice I'm getting old.

So gym, tats and practising mean mugging is how I cope.

ldar247

Banned
The two worst parts of aging are norwoodism and skin degradation. For the latter I NEVER go a single day without applying sunblock every 2-3 hours during the day. NO exceptions, even if I'm not going out or it's raining or overcast. Retin A as well. For the former I plan to get my doctor to subscribe me finasteride and get a forehead reduction eventually. This can delay it but the age pill catches up with everybody eventually. My long term cope is that 50 years from now (hopefully I live to 73) there will be some way for doctors to reverse the damage done by aging. So I'll get the aging damage reversing treatment every 10 years or so to keep extending my life span. Then eventually it'll be possible to transfer your brain into the body of a robot. It'll probably take a while before the operation becomes accepted and mainstream like plastic surgery so I'll dump my life savings into getting one done early on and transfer my brain into an artificial body customized to look like a 20 year old male model. It'll probably be like 5-10 years before everybody's doing itso for that brief glorious moment I'll be able to enjoy life as an actual human. Then after that it'll just be a complete fucking arms race of aesthetics until everybody is an 8'1'' 300lb 7% bf 24 inch dicked super human with perfect features and skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom