• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Launch in UK bigger than Horizon

noshten

Biggest single format launch this year

YlMHxHe.jpg

- source

UK Charts: Crash Bandicoot is the biggest single-format release of the year

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy has narrowly beaten Horizon: Zero Dawn to become the UK's biggest single-format boxed release of the year.

In fact, the only game to have enjoyed a bigger Week One was Ubisoft's Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which was released across multiple platforms.

The popularity of Activision's remake follows similar success for Wipeout: Omega Collection, which also topped the charts last month. Like Wipeout, this is the first time Crash Bandicoot has been at the top of the UK physical retail charts.

Crash is now the 24th best-selling video game franchise at UK boxed retail, according to GfK.

Overall, UK boxed game sales are up 93% week-on-week to 331,000 games sold.

Daffy Duck

No surprise really, lots of people have an affinity with Crash from back in the day.

Every shop round this small part of the world had sold out Friday.

That's both incredibly sad and incredibly amazing. Missing out on Horizon should be a sin. Its such a well crafted and amazing game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
To be fair Horizon launch against/around Zelda...so that probably had some impact on its performance - it still did great though and continued with it legs.
No surprise really, lots of people have an affinity with Crash from back in the day.

Every shop round this small part of the world had sold out Friday.

Would you have said the same thing earlier this year ? Crash being the top seller in 2017 is a surprise.

CryptiK

Kudos to VV! And they said nostalgia for Crash was unwarranted.

CTR incoming...

? how will this game be published since this is presumed to be a multi-plat?
Nothing is multiplat atm. And for CTR no it wouldnt be at all, Sony have part ownership of CTR.

Bruno MB

I doubt any Mario platformer debuted selling over 100,000 units in the UK.

I will check Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, they are the only one that could have debuted selling over 100,000 units.

Rellik

Not a surprise at all. I feel like a broken record at this point always pointing out how big Crash is. As I always say, the originals are still outselling everything on PSN including GTA and Final Fantasy. Of course it was going to sell.

Only on GAF do you find people who don't think Crash is a big deal.

"You’ll have things like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience"
- Phil Spencer

So out of touch.

Congrats to the team behind the remake, they did a fantastic job. Well deserved.

bombshell

Holy fucking mother of god. Amazon charts wins again.

I made the Amazon thread, but not really. It's two different things.

The chart that I posted is about Crash selling more on Amazon in first 2 days than, say, Horizon in second place has sold in total since its release more than 4 months ago.

This thread is not really saying that.

Rymuth

Hope the salt doesn't flow too much in this thread like the last one.

Well deserved, it's a great package that's priced perfectly. PlayStation keeps killing it SW-wise

Wollan

Well deserved sales. Lots of value in this package and really fun & colorful pick up and play platforming.

Wish Cindi Mayweather wasn't banned, I imagine the reaction from her do to all of the postive Crash news would be very entertaining

faridmon

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Hope we get more remakes of older game. I would pay full price for Sly Raccoon Remake.

That's both incredibly sad and incredibly amazing. Missing out on Horizon should be a sin. Its such a well crafted and amazing game.

Shocking that people have different taste and not many might not be interested in the game regardless of the quality.

Croash

Deserves it. Congratulations, Vicarious Visions!

So, is it now realistic to hope for Crash Team Racing or Crash Bandicoot 4 (or even Wrath of Cortex improved)? ^^

I wonder if Vicarious Visions would work on a Spyro remake if it gets greenlighted. I kinda expect Activision to have them stick to the Crash franchise while it's hot and let other developers handle Spyro.

Damn, I knew it had many fans, just a look at PS1 classics sales on PSN is enough to realize it, but this is impressive.

CTR pretty much a done deal I'd say and hopefully a new Crash down the road too.

_Rob_

Wow. The nostalgia is strong!

Thankfully not just that. A kid with his mum asked me in a GAME shop whether he would like it after overhearing my conversation with a friend about playing it over the weekend. I explained what it was and his mum bought him a copy no questions. Bring in the new generation too I say!

Franchise with built in audience through years of nostalgia and a cheaper game outsells new franchise. I'm shocked.

Yea, if only game sales were that simple...

Crash outselling Horizon should be surprising. Even if built on Nostalgia, a game debuting to more than 100k sales in one week is insane, especially a remake.

It's not just that it sold well, it's that it sold so damn incredibly well.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Hope we get more remakes of older game. I would pay full price for Sly Raccoon Remake.

Shocking that people have different taste and not many might not be interested in the game regardless of the quality.

You might want a towel to wipe up all that sarcasm. Yes we all have different tastes and opinions but Horizon really is a top game. Its sad that the UK doesn't feel that way though according to sales but I wish Crash remastered all the success possible. I'm not pushing a slight against either game just saying Horizon should do as well as Crash is doing.

Floody

Really impressive, Crash is still huge after all this time. Now Activision, Sony (whoever's decision it is) give me CTR Remake.
Though kinda surprised Horizon was the former biggest (single-format) launch game this year, thought Wildlands would've been that.

Loris146

You might want a towel to wipe up all that sarcasm. Yes we all have different tastes and opinions but Horizon really is a top game. Its sad that the UK doesn't feel that way though according to sales but I wish Crash remastered all the success possible. I'm not pushing a slight against either game just saying Horizon should do as well as Crash is doing.

Horizon had an amazing first week in UK.

ramparter

Banned
Would have bought it too if I had a PS4. Can't get enough 90s remasters / remakes.

edit
And yeah really good pricing, 3 games and not even full price.

Guymelef

Horizon UK launch was really good and with good legs.

Top Bottom