• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why would people think Americans are stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
060503_leno_hmed_1p.hmedium.jpg

"Hold on there, that's my bit!"

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Saw this a while ago. Yeah it's kind of embarrassing as an american. But I wonder how many retarded rednecks he had to talk to to get all that footage. Especially for the last bit in the video. I'm sure he went to Texas for a reason.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Well Ukraine obviously... I meant I didn't even bother with the United States :lol

I don't feel soooo bad about it as it's one of those questions where it's like "How many animals did moses take in the ark with him?"

that shit with the map is awesome :lol

I'd love to get interviewed for this and bust some ass. "In what way? His worries about Krgyzstan in regards to their recent involvement with the nuclear weapons free zone treaty?" SUCK IT DOWN YOU CRIMINAL ****! :lol

VALIS

Yes, Amerkins 'r stupid. The country has only been leading the rest of the world in just about every field of advanced learning for the last 100 years.

Javaman

I wonder how many foreigners can name each of the US states on an unlabeled map....

I can't view the video right now, but it it's what I expect it is, I'm not that surprised. People are always more familiar with local areas.

demon

"how many sides does a triangle have?"

"....damn.....four"

holy shit. I mean.....holy shit. :(

I could probably name about 20 of the top of my head.

What worries me, is that people in the UK, and i mean a LOT, think there are 52 states in America.

demon

dabookerman said:
I could probably name about 20 of the top of my head.

What worries me, is that people in the UK, and i mean a LOT, think there are 52 states in America.
Well, I suppose Canada's big enough to be considered two states.

LakeEarth

demon said:
Well, I suppose Canada's big enough to be considered two states.
Pfffft, at least they like us Canadians. We keep the Queen's face on our $20s though, so we are pretty much ass kissing there.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
demon said:
"how many sides does a triangle have?"

"....damn.....four"

holy shit. I mean.....holy shit. :(

I think it's obvious that he's transcended 2D and is thinking of a triangle-like figure in 3D.

:lol

Nameless

Holy crap at the last segment of the video. No wonder Bush got elected. All people should have to take a competency before being allowed to vote.

Forsete

Freshmaker said:
That's the point.

So US states are as important to learn as nations? :) And I thought they were like our provinces, aka. not very important, unless your in 2nd or 3rd grade.

Meh...

I actually happen to think Americans are dumber about the world than average but I'm sure with editing and picking the right people you could do this in most every country in the world.

I've never found these bits to be that shocking or funny.

Ha! Ha! Look at how poor our education system is! Ha!

SUPREME1

Banned
demon said:
Saw this a while ago. Yeah it's kind of embarrassing as an american. But I wonder how many retarded rednecks he had to talk to to get all that footage. Especially for the last bit in the video. I'm sure he went to Texas for a reason.

Most of the footage was filmed in Los Angeles (Hollywood & Venice), CA.

Once he started on the subject of Krygystan(sp), that was from Texas.

I'm ashamed at all those people in Hollywood who didn't know ANY of those simple questions.. pathetic. I am being honest when I say I knew the answer to every question asked.

Shame.

Best answer to a question:

Q. What's Al Qaeda?
A. A wing of the Masonic order

This man does not belong with the rest of these bafoons. Even though he's most likely wrong, at least he has an opinion on the subject and at least knows of the Masons and the conspiracies surrounding them.

demon

ImperialConquest said:
Most of the footage was filmed in Los Angeles (Hollywood & Venice), CA.

Once he started on the subject of Krygystan(sp), that was from Texas.
No shit, Sherlock. That's what I said.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Forsete said:
So US states are as important to learn as nations? :) And I thought they were like our provinces, aka. not very important, unless your in 2nd or 3rd grade.
They're not terribly important, but then, is knowing the approximate location of Congo, The Ivory Coast, Belgum etc of greater relevance or importance? :lol

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Forsete said:

Well our states are about as big as countries, so why the hell not?

Sapiens

Interviewer: What is Al Qaeda?
Idiot: Uuurgh – Suicide group in Israel, Middle East that do suicide bombs and stuff
Interviewer: Uh-huh, yep, righ –
Idiot: Arruh um –and the president of it is Yasser Arafat
Interviewer: Yep
Idiot: Everybody knows that

megateto

Forsete said:

+1

The worst I've seen is when one American woman, working on her PhD on Genetics (so no need to blame on her possible redneckness, tried to explain what video rentals were, or how surprised she was at the fact that some dude decided to write a novel based on the three Lord of the Rings movies. For real.

This reminds me about how this friend of mine, who went to an American High School for a year, took the piss of all her classmates when she was asked to make an essay on how people lived in Spain and she told then we lived in trees, no electricity, no nothing. And they all believed her, including the teacher who was there. She almost got kicked out off the school when higher powers got to know about it, hehe.

Or, and this is something I've heard from MANY different people who, like that girl, went to high school to America for a year and the lady in the house they were staying explained them (being them all different people) what a plug was, what a microwave is, the mighty power of a bulb and so on... Like "do you have electricity, do you know what a fridge is...?"

And you know what, the best thing I've learned from GAF is that most people have the wrong idea about how the States are. I must admit I was extremely biased against the bulk of the American people, but all of you guys have taught me how wrong I was, and that if in Spain we say "Ancha es Castilla" (wide is Castile), even wider and richer in terms of heterogeny the United States are.

Putting pins in the map was the lowest part :( Similar thing happened in Britain when Londoners' couldn't point out where different cities were in Britain, not as bads as not knowing that big country is Australia. We just put that down to them being ignorant, self-obssessed wankrers in London.

megateto said:
This reminds me about how this friend of mine, who went to an American High School for a year, took the piss of all her classmates when she was asked to make an essay on how people lived in Spain and she told then we lived in trees, no electricity, no nothing.

So don't leave us in a lurch here. Is this true or not?

kidding

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Javaman said:
I wonder how many foreigners can name each of the US states on an unlabeled map....

That's not really comparable since it's a much harder question than "what is the currency used in the United Kingdom?".. Besides, I got ~90% right on the 50 states game that was posted here earlier, and I'm from Europe. :p

Seth C

darscot said:
LOL, that is comedy gold.

Let's be honest, some of them are. Is in just as important that Americans know EXACTLY which country is Nigeria as it is for people to know exactly which state is Utah. That is, not very.

Now, if they start saing Nigeria is in Asia somewhere, I will worry.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
megateto said:
This reminds me about how this friend of mine, who went to an American High School for a year, took the piss of all her classmates when she was asked to make an essay on how people lived in Spain and she told then we lived in trees, no electricity, no nothing. And they all believed her, including the teacher who was there. She almost got kicked out off the school when higher powers got to know about it, hehe.

i think your friend was pulling your leg. that or the teacher was entertained by the stories.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
quadriplegicjon said:
its the same handful of people answering most of his questions.. truth is.. you can go to any country.. walk around the streets asking questions for a couple of weeks. and just keep the retards..
hey you shut up amerikkkans are stupid ok

Squeak

Phobophile said:
Well our states are about as big as countries, so why the hell not?
Well, can you name all if any of the regions of Germany? Or all the different countries of Africa?
Many of the US states are so scarcely populated that they wouldn't be considered real countries if they weren't part of the USA.
I doubt any of the people in the video would be able to name half of the states, much less place them correctly.

Of course people should have a broad picture of how USA is geographically, but don't expect special treatment for any reason.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This isn't just a result of selective editing. Americans really ARE more ignorant about the world around them than the majority of non-third world countries. I'll try to dig up a link for the series of polls I read, but with very basic geography/political/etc. questions, they were almost dead last, only ahead of Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom