• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do people live in Mexico?

My wife and I are traveling abroad for a wedding Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Since day two, we know of at least 3 people that have picked up a gastral-intestinal bacterial infection which include vomiting and diarrhea and literally everyone has diarrhea. You can’t drink the water and it seems as though all food is contaminated.

To make matters worse, the Airbnb we are in has a faulty sink that won’t stop running so they shut off the water while everyone in the house is vomiting and shitting every 20 to 30 minutes. I’ve since figured out how to turn it back on. But what the fuck?

Since I noticed everyone getting sick and experiencing my own awful rounds of butt-piss, with my asshole torn asunder, bleeding with every wipe, I decided I will live off bottled water and Doritos. This has kept me healthy and able to care for the weak. But I didn’t know how long I would last considering that even washing your hands is a bacterial risk.

With infrastructure here literally being held together with duct tape, how the hell does the leadership in this god forsaken country not do anything about the disgusting living conditions and contaminated water? There’s so much tourism and I swear they are making millions off Americans alone.

Anyway, fuck Mexico I’m never coming back.

Last edited:

Trunx81

You get used to it. Your body and especially your stomach grow antibodies and the diarrhea becomes less and less. I lost around 10kg in my first year, which is great because I had 10kg overweight.

And you don’t drink the tap water. You have big bottles of water with 20l to use for drinking, cooking, everything you digest. Wash fruits together with baking soda. Kills every possible germ.

And about the duct tape: If it works, it works.

Mistake

I had a few margaritas in cancun and I swear it was fake alcohol or something, because I didn't even get drunk. It went straight into hangover and made me incredibly dehydrated. So much so my morning squat was a struggle.

There are a few retirement communities foreigners reside in and they get by alright, but I wouldn't want to live there either.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They develop resistance to all the poor quality water in the country. But with Rampant Crime and cartel control the country has gotten much worse over the decades. Last time I was there (20years ago) it was fine.

Murder rate in Mexico, per 100k, was 17.7 back in 1990. Murder rate in the USA was 5.5 in 2023.

I had a cousin who was shot 6 times while doing charity work whilst in Mexico back in the 80s. Obviously that can happen in any country but I feel like Mexico has had a dangerous reputation my entire life.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Murder rate in Mexico, per 100k, was 17.7 back in 1990. Murder rate in the USA was 5.5 in 2023.

I had a cousin who was shot 6 times while doing charity work whilst in Mexico back in the 80s. Obviously that can happen in any country but I feel like Mexico has had a dangerous reputation my entire life.

I did some missions work in central Mexico in the 90s, the other times I was there were costal towns or border towns. Cozumel always felt safe. Border towns always felt terrible, Especially at night.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
its true for most third world countries. you are not supposed to drink tap water.

when it comes to food, stick with expensive joints. if you go local, you run the risk of contamination.

sorry, but you shouldve known. hope your family feels better. and stick to first world european countries going forward.

its true for most third world countries. you are not supposed to drink tap water.

when it comes to food, stick with expensive joints. if you go local, you run the risk of contamination.

sorry, but you shouldve known. hope your family feels better. and stick to first world european countries going forward.
We never drank the tap, but I can’t guarantee any of the restaurants haven’t used it.

As an added bonus, a repair man has broke our sink further and now the bathroom and bedroom are flooded. Luckily we fly out in a couple of hours.

Side note, the people have been super nice and great and working with what they got. This is definitely not a reflection of their kindness.

Last edited:
I had a few margaritas in cancun and I swear it was fake alcohol or something, because I didn't even get drunk. It went straight into hangover and made me incredibly dehydrated. So much so my morning squat was a struggle.

There are a few retirement communities foreigners reside in and they get by alright, but I wouldn't want to live there either.
Yeah, all the sugar and watered down alcohol in the resorts will do that. We had a second leg of the trip that involved a free trip to a Cancun resort with my work, but we said fuck it, we’re going home. Our bodies have had enough.

There are parts of Mexico that are better than the average place in the states. The average place in Mexico is probably safer and cleaner than the worst parts of the U.S. as well.
I haven’t been everywhere, but I can say this is a false statement. Not being able to drink from the tap already puts you in a more dangerous spot than anywhere in the states except Flint, MI. As far as safer? I highly doubt it. Cleaner? Absolutely fucking not. Do you know what average means?

Mexico uses the most bottled water out of any other country and is facing a water crisis throughout the country. Some places not even having access to it, which I believe is 30% of the country. The cartels are very dangerous. The average place in Mexico, are dirty as fuck.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Coca Cola?

I dunno I remember seeing docs once that a lot of Mexico is hooked to coca cola but maybe it was somewhat BS.

Edit: my fav clickbait guy

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
1280x720.jpg

I haven’t been everywhere, but I can say this is a false statement. Not being able to drink from the tap already puts you in a more dangerous spot than anywhere in the states except Flint, MI. As far as safer? I highly doubt it. Cleaner? Absolutely fucking not. Do you know what average means?

Mexico uses the most bottled water out of any other country and is facing a water crisis throughout the country. Some places not even having access to it, which I believe is 30% of the country. The cartels are very dangerous. The average place in Mexico, are dirty as fuck.
Most American cities and nearby towns smell like trash and are filled with decomissioned/abandoned buildings. People around the world drink bottled water and the U.S. is slowly transitioning to that as well. The commercial tap purification products are embarassingly insufficient for removing hazardous substances and the water is filled with many additives like iodine and chlorine. I guess you don't know about high crime areas like Baltimore in the States. My average statement's scope is not all encompassing. I am sorry you decided to save money on the travel and payed for it.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
A quick google search could have saved you a lot of pain, OP. Mexico is a third world country. Get vaccinated next time and don't drink the water and be careful where you eat, because you'll likely get diarrhea otherwise. Or just go to a developed country.

Maybe skip bringing the bikini and thong to your friend's destination wedding in Afghanistan this summer.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I felt that way once when I visited the US. I went to Orlando, Florida and the tap water smelt like a barn and tasted like a hobo and dunked their unwashed nutsack in it. Apparently, that's just what the water is like in Florida.

It didn't make me sick, but I had to just drink bottled water for the two weeks I was there.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I was gonna link a documentary, but I remembered I actually made a thread about it before. I gotta check their latest slate of episodes.

AJUMP23

Don't run for office in Mexico.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
One of my coworkers works in the US but lives in Tijuana. His $80k USD salary is enough to afford a compound with houses for him, and several family members. He lives in the rich part of the city

A quick google search could have saved you a lot of pain, OP. Mexico is a third world country. Get vaccinated next time and don't drink the water and be careful where you eat, because you'll likely get diarrhea otherwise. Or just go to a developed country.

Maybe skip bringing the bikini and thong to your friend's destination wedding in Afghanistan this summer.
I’m not stupid, I already knew not to drink the water going into it. But everything seems to be contaminated

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
might wanna ask our Mexican superhero Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme
Many media outlets give false testimonies, the country has improved considerably with President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, he was the only humanist president who supported the population, he gave support to the elderly and children.

He improve the quality of life of people and education.

What they say that it is a state or that it is a Narcopresident are lies, created by the opponents, who are unscrupulous people and politicians who do not care about the country.

Mexico is a potential country and it has improved a lot.

Those who committed crime and made the country worse for 80 years are the politicians of these parties.

Sin-ti%CC%81tulo-5-1300x760.png

👆
They are to blame for Mexico not progressing, especially these presidents

👇👇👇

EXPRESIDENTES.jpg

They and the news media and reporters deceived the people, looting the country.

Then the current president arrived who opened the eyes of the population and they realized the corruption and deception. So the corrupt want to remove the president, but the people, more than 90% of the population, support the current president.

2022-05-04T154657Z_260538815_RC270U9GZ15X_RTRMADP_3_MEXICO-POLITICS-INFLATION.JPG

In fact, we are in electoral times and they are going to make the most historic one, because it is literally the population of Mexico against the corruption of politicians who want to loot the country.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Many media outlets give false testimonies, the country has improved considerably with President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, he was the only humanist president who supported the population, he gave support to the elderly and children.

He improve the quality of life of people and education.

What they say that it is a state or that it is a Narcopresident are lies, created by the opponents, who are unscrupulous people and politicians who do not care about the country.

Mexico is a potential country and it has improved a lot.

Those who committed crime and made the country worse for 80 years are the politicians of these parties.

Sin-ti%CC%81tulo-5-1300x760.png

👆
They are to blame for Mexico not progressing, especially these presidents

👇👇👇

EXPRESIDENTES.jpg

They and the news media and reporters deceived the people, looting the country.

Then the current president arrived who opened the eyes of the population and they realized the corruption and deception. So the corrupt want to remove the president, but the people, more than 90% of the population, support the current president.

2022-05-04T154657Z_260538815_RC270U9GZ15X_RTRMADP_3_MEXICO-POLITICS-INFLATION.JPG

In fact, we are in electoral times and they are going to make the most historic one, because it is literally the population of Mexico against the corruption of politicians who want to loot the country.
I learned to love it in the few years I’ve lived here. The people are amazing and if you can adapt (which you can’t when you’re just visiting), it is one of the nicest countries I’ve ever lived in.

Sure there are some things to criticize. But if it’s so bad, why do especially elderly Canadians and US-Americans come here to spend the rest of their lives in the sun?

If you’ve got the money, you can live luxurious as well. Get a water filter and you can drink from the tap.

Most American cities and nearby towns smell like trash and are filled with decomissioned/abandoned buildings. People around the world drink bottled water and the U.S. is slowly transitioning to that as well. The commercial tap purification products are embarassingly insufficient for removing hazardous substances and the water is filled with many additives like iodine and chlorine. I guess you don't know about high crime areas like Baltimore in the States. My average statement's scope is not all encompassing. I am sorry you decided to save money on the travel and payed for it.
This is true for a lot of developed countries. Yes there are areas that aren’t great. But the majority of areas in America are just fine. For instance, Detroit used to be a shit hole, with many derelict buildings, but slowly it has become a fairly safe place for people to be out day and night. Those derelict building are being knocked down and replaced with skyscrapers, stadiums among other things and is redeveloping well. That’s just one example of improvement, but overall, despite the crime in perverse areas, it’s generally safe.

Quite frankly, you can drink from the tap unless you have well water, which a simple reverse osmosis filter completely mitigates. There are some areas where you might think twice on doing that but overall the majority is safe.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Don't run for office in Mexico.

Or law enforcement my cousin was a cop he was run off the road and told to choose " plomo o plata"

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Lol @ op. Poor baby got diarrhea. I love Mexico I'm retiring in Merida,Yucatan. Boss just got back from Mexico city diarrhea free and cartels won't mess with you if you stay away from drugs and don't flash your wealth you have better chance of getting killed in a mass shooting in America.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
This is true for a lot of developed countries. Yes there are areas that aren’t great. But the majority of areas in America are just fine. For instance, Detroit used to be a shit hole, with many derelict buildings, but slowly it has become a fairly safe place for people to be out day and night. Those derelict building are being knocked down and replaced with skyscrapers, stadiums among other things and is redeveloping well. That’s just one example of improvement, but overall, despite the crime in perverse areas, it’s generally safe.

Quite frankly, you can drink from the tap unless you have well water, which a simple reverse osmosis filter completely mitigates. There are some areas where you might think twice on doing that but overall the majority is safe.

How's Delta City coming along Dick Jones Dick Jones

MaestroMike

Gold Member
in tropical areas you have to match their diet and eat spicy and pungent food: chili peppers and garlic (onions, cruciferous veggies). mix it with some fat - avocados. some beans for protein/fiber. its tastes good and its for ur protection india, thailand, mexico all eat this stuff for protecting themselves. garlic is antibacterial and chili will help make you sweat and keep you cool. It’s much easier for germs/bacteria to grow in hot/humid weather u gotta be careful and also for the bloodsucking mosquitos lot of people live at altitude in South America/asian countries where it’s colder and dryer to make life easier

Last edited:

Puscifer

I don't even drink tap water in first world countries. Not because it is unsafe, it just tastes shit.
I bought a my friend a Brita filter as a gift (I love adult gift giving lol) and even his kids stopped drinking tap afterwards. Water shouldn't have a creamy texture, clean spring water or fresh melted snow water in nature is mind blowing when you first try it.

How's Delta City coming along Dick Jones Dick Jones
Can you fathom that the USA is the third largest country in the world? Sure there are cities here and there that probably aren’t great, but overall, Food and water is much safer here than generally the whole of Mexico and a lot of other countries.

I’m not saying America is the greatest country in the world, but it is a first world country and in comparison to a third world such as Mexico, life is generally much better and I see why so many people are trying to escape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom