• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do people live in Mexico?

0neAnd0nly

Most American cities and nearby towns smell like trash and are filled with decomissioned/abandoned buildings. People around the world drink bottled water and the U.S. is slowly transitioning to that as well. The commercial tap purification products are embarassingly insufficient for removing hazardous substances and the water is filled with many additives like iodine and chlorine. I guess you don't know about high crime areas like Baltimore in the States. My average statement's scope is not all encompassing. I am sorry you decided to save money on the travel and payed for it.

I’m not the dude you are responding to, but this is honestly pretty false.

I travel a ton, especially in the states.

I have actually been in Baltimore, one time at 2 AM due to travel. Was a horrible experience for sure. I’ve been to Chicago too, same thing - many run down and decrepit buildings and crime. I’ve been to North Jax, Compton, CA, etc. don’t even get me started about the times riding the Marta in ATL in the 90s/ 00s.

And what you say is true.

But that isn’t the *average*. You are being disingenuous. Those are the extreme outliers. Most of the country, ESPECIALLY between the coast are just fine outside of big city limits (and heck, some of the big cities in the US are just fine too).

The majority of cities in the US are decent places. We are terribly spoiled. Again, why do you think people flock to the US and not elsewhere?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is true for a lot of developed countries. Yes there are areas that aren’t great. But the majority of areas in America are just fine. For instance, Detroit used to be a shit hole, with many derelict buildings, but slowly it has become a fairly safe place for people to be out day and night. Those derelict building are being knocked down and replaced with skyscrapers, stadiums among other things and is redeveloping well. That’s just one example of improvement, but overall, despite the crime in perverse areas, it’s generally safe.
Are you describing the villains plot from Robocop?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember as a kid hearing if you drink water in Mexico you're bound to get sick. Looks like their water plants havent changed in 40 years.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Most American cities and nearby towns smell like trash and are filled with decomissioned/abandoned buildings. People around the world drink bottled water and the U.S. is slowly transitioning to that as well. The commercial tap purification products are embarassingly insufficient for removing hazardous substances and the water is filled with many additives like iodine and chlorine. I guess you don't know about high crime areas like Baltimore in the States. My average statement's scope is not all encompassing. I am sorry you decided to save money on the travel and payed for it.

Not most, some. Most cities in the U.S. are just fine. Although some like STL, Baltimore, parts of DC are quite bad, it’s nowhere near, say, Matamoros

I’m not stupid, I already knew not to drink the water going into it. But everything seems to be contaminated

It’s honestly your fault. I’ve never been sick. You’re also judging a country based on one, small tourist trap? You don’t know Mexico, DeFe is one of the most spectacular cities in the world

Many media outlets give false testimonies, the country has improved considerably with President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, he was the only humanist president who supported the population, he gave support to the elderly and children.

He improve the quality of life of people and education.

What they say that it is a state or that it is a Narcopresident are lies, created by the opponents, who are unscrupulous people and politicians who do not care about the country.

Mexico is a potential country and it has improved a lot.

Those who committed crime and made the country worse for 80 years are the politicians of these parties.

Sin-ti%CC%81tulo-5-1300x760.png

👆
They are to blame for Mexico not progressing, especially these presidents

👇👇👇

EXPRESIDENTES.jpg

They and the news media and reporters deceived the people, looting the country.

Then the current president arrived who opened the eyes of the population and they realized the corruption and deception. So the corrupt want to remove the president, but the people, more than 90% of the population, support the current president.

2022-05-04T154657Z_260538815_RC270U9GZ15X_RTRMADP_3_MEXICO-POLITICS-INFLATION.JPG

In fact, we are in electoral times and they are going to make the most historic one, because it is literally the population of Mexico against the corruption of politicians who want to loot the country.

I’m sorry man, but AMLO has been a disaster for corruption, security and the economy. His “Abrazos, no balazos” has been a horrid, and he’s been a puppet of the cartels.

What has AMLO done well? Built a decent amount of infrastructure, it’s true, but at the cost of deficits and inflation.

His spending spree has given him a 60% approval rating, not 90%.

The results? Almost recorded 200,000 murders, record deficits and a mere 0.8% economic growth in 5 years, the worst performance in 42 years!

Sadly, I can attest as I travel through Mexico, that it is significantly more dangerous now than it was 6, 10 or 15 years ago.

Mexico has a large young, educated population, natural resources to spare and the proximity to the biggest market in the world. If they can get their political act together, they could become a great power. I pray for that day, but doubt it’s coming anytime soon.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

What has AMLO done well? Built a decent amount of infrastructure, it’s true, but at the cost of deficits and inflation.

2 Bocas
Tren maya
Felipe Angeles

Corredor interoceanico
He gave the law for more vacations. 40 working hours per week.

Support for the elderly, disabled and children.

The minimum wage increased a lot.

He gave Mexico respect throughout the world.

It gave the working foundations to the health sector. Under the dollar.

Under insecurity.

He protected and gave Mexico respect for the Ecuador incident.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Not most, some. Most cities in the U.S. are just fine. Although some like STL, Baltimore, parts of DC are quite bad, it’s nowhere near, say, Matamoros

It’s honestly your fault. I’ve never been sick. You’re also judging a country based on one, small tourist trap? You don’t know Mexico, DeFe is one of the most spectacular cities in the world

I’m sorry man, but AMLO has been a disaster for corruption, security and the economy. His “Abrazos, no balazos” has been a horrid, and he’s been a puppet of the cartels.

The results? Almost recorded 200,000 murders, record deficits and a mere 0.8% economic growth in 5 years, the worst performance in 42 years!

Sadly, I can attest as I travel through Mexico, that it is significantly more dangerous now than it was 6, 10 or 15 years ago.

Mexico has a large young, educated population, natural resources to spare and the proximity to the biggest market in the world. If they can get their political act together, they could become a great power. I pray for that day, but doubt it’s coming anytime soon.
You live in Mexico?

AJUMP23

2 Bocas
Tren maya
Felipe Angeles

Corredor interoceanico
He gave the law for more vacations. 40 working hours per week.

Support for the elderly, disabled and children.

The minimum wage increased a lot.

He gave Mexico respect throughout the world.

It gave the working foundations to the health sector. Under the dollar.

Under insecurity.

He protected and gave Mexico respect for the Ecuador incident.

He needs to get rid of the cartels. Be a Mexi-can, not a Mexi-can't!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mexico declared war on drug cartels back in 2021 knocking off thugs it’s only been 200-300 years since their creation and it’s probably the best South American country.

Correct there are some abandoned buildings in Detroit, just as there are abandoned buildings almost everywhere. But these are small spots in Detroit and not everywhere.

The train station used to be a disgusting abandoned building as well, and now it’s Ford HQ.

A few examples doesn’t paint a whole. Detroit also isn’t a third world country and I could drink the water out of a clean toilet and still be fine in Detroit.

Still doesn’t negate the fact that I can go damn near anywhere in the US and be fine.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Generally people from outside drink bottle water, and avoid eating at streets. If You eat on a regular restaurant nothing will happens.

Places like this are fine : Sanborns, Vips, Toks.

Cutiously the only time a got sick of stomach were at Las Vegas , breakfast and generally food lacks of vegetables , or fruit. The breakfast is basically 2 eggs, 2 sauces or bacon and some "dévil" potatoes sliced on cubes. Also at Las Vegas is hard to eat healthy if You lack of money, well generally in the U.S. it's expensive to eat well outside Home.

Yea on México You get sick of stomach and can get Salmonella of You do not care what or where You eat, but that happens on all places. My advice for a tourist is avoid street.food,

Yea the best tacos are from street vendors, of You want to enjoy them You know there is always a risk of get sick. No pain no gain.

WhatsApp_Image_2023-12-12_at_2.55.17_PM.webp

Last edited:

Alebrije

Yet he has been the Best president since Salinas.

And some basic facts:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Correct there are some abandoned buildings in Detroit, just as there are abandoned buildings almost everywhere. But these are small spots in Detroit and not everywhere.

The train station used to be a disgusting abandoned building as well, and now it’s Ford HQ.

A few examples doesn’t paint a whole. Detroit also isn’t a third world country and I could drink the water out of a clean toilet and still be fine in Detroit.

Still doesn’t negate the fact that I can go damn near anywhere in the US and be fine.

You are delusional Detroit might as well be a 3rd world country and the worst part is that it's in the "greatest" country in the world. Keep Detroit and while you're at have a glass of Flint water I'll gladly take Mexico I can't believe your unhinged rant condemned a whole country because you got diarrhea.

You are delusional Detroit might as well be a 3rd world country and the worst part is that it's in the "greatest" country in the world. Keep Detroit and while you're at have a glass of Flint water I'll gladly take Mexico I can't believe your unhinged rant condemned a whole country because you got diarrhea.

Detroit is also large. And as I’ve stated has not so great spots.. LIKE EVERY CITY ON EARTH.

Last edited:

Alebrije

A Lot of U.S. cities and rural places have 3rd world conditions...they could be small compared to the size of the country but they exist and are growing. Lack of clean water, roads, income, social and medical services, harder than ever to get a home for rent or Buy it..

ReBurn

Gold Member

Detroit's not so bad. I go there a lot for work. There are parts that you want to avoid, but most cities have parts like that.

The Flint water crisis is a legitimate catastrophe. I've driven through neighborhoods there where nearly every house was boarded up because people just couldn't live there any more. Flint is an hour from Detroit, though.

Fbh

If you are born and raised eating the food and drinking the water it doesn't affect you.
I'm sure most people here would get the shits eating at the sopaipilla stand where I used to get half my lunches when I was a broke college student

VJW14FPTO0KDKNOVN2UYVIGNJKSXQHJJ1N3Z4OHOFW2IYZFT.jpg

It's not a true sopaipilla unless the oil used to fry it has been passed down by multiple generations

nush

We never drank the tap, but I can’t guarantee any of the restaurants haven’t used it.

Water in places that might not be sanitary tips,

Bottled water only
Don't brush your teeth with tap water
Don't have ice in your drinks
Tip for anywhere; if you but a bottle of water over a counter/restaurant then the server "Helpfully" opens it for you before passing it to you, it's probably tapwater. Ask for a sealed one.

Water in places that might not be sanitary tips,

Bottled water only
Don't brush your teeth with tap water
Don't have ice in your drinks
Tip for anywhere; if you but a bottle of water over a counter/restaurant then the server "Helpfully" opens it for you before passing it to you, it's probably tapwater. Ask for a sealed one.
Good to know. I’ll never be going to Mexico again. But very helpful info.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I’ve always wondered why it is this way. I understand that water treatment is expensive and difficult but the difference it makes massively outweighs the cost of not doing it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Op if you get diarrhea in Canada will you put it on your "Do not return" list? What if you get diarrhea in America what will you do? Will you leave the country and become an expat? Where would you go Russia maybe?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Detroit is the only city I've ever been to where I've seen this.

A bunch of buddies and I stayed over to watch a Red Wings game. Near our Air BNB (kind of sketchy but not the worst area), we walked over to the nearby Subway sandwich and a variety store.

Each store at the counter had bulletproof glass. You speak to the staff through a little speaker hole and the contraption was a table top sliding door thing where the products and payment are done revolving door style. There's more lax security at an airport. Crazy.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Detroit is the only city I've ever been to where I've seen this.

A bunch of buddies and I stayed over to watch a Red Wings game. Near our Air BNB (kind of sketchy but not the worst area), we walked over to the nearby Subway sandwich and a variety store.

Each store at the counter had bulletproof glass. You speak to the staff through a little speaker hole and the contraption was a table top sliding door thing where the products and payment are done revolving door style. There's more lax security at an airport. Crazy.
At least you didn't.get diarrhea and a crappy Airbnb! 🤣

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At least you didn't.get diarrhea and crappy Airbnb! 🤣
Other US doozies:

One time in Chicago, we took the subway. This was 20 years ago. At night, every other subway car has a policeman and giant dog with a muzzle.

I forget if it was the same Chicago trip, or if it was when we went to NY. But taking a taxi, a bunch of us are crammed in the back seat and we cant hear the driver because there's bulletproof glass again. There's another one of those tiny speaker holes to speak to. Nuts.

In Toronto, subways have zero cops patrolling, and it doesn't matter if it's a taxi or Uber. There's no glass partition and if a passenger needs to sit in the passenger seat because there's no room in the back. Just hop in and sit shotgun. Nobody cares.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you are born and raised eating the food and drinking the water it doesn't affect you.
I'm sure most people here would get the shits eating at the sopaipilla stand where I used to get half my lunches when I was a broke college student

VJW14FPTO0KDKNOVN2UYVIGNJKSXQHJJ1N3Z4OHOFW2IYZFT.jpg

It's not a true sopaipilla unless the oil used to fry it has been passed down by multiple generations
LOL. I think all street vendors are like that in the world.

There is no way the hot dog and french fry trucks where I live clean the grill and oil frequently either. It makes no difference if you get lunch or 10 pm after a baseball or hockey game is over and you want some food before heading home. I have never seen any street vendor ever clean their grills or cooking gear. You take a skim or their hot dog hut or food truck and you can see it's a total mess. And those condiment jugs look like it's never been cleaned ever. Its all crusty and the topping containers have been sitting there all day in the summer heat.

Last edited:

Fbh

And those condiment jugs look like it's never been cleaned ever. Its all crusty and the topping containers have been sitting there all day in the summer heat.

lol yeah.
One of the carts I used to go to had this bowl with a hot sauce that always had this big crust on top. And you just knew they never really cleaned it, whenever it would start to run low they'd just fill it up with more sauce and mix it.

Despite all though, I don't think I ever got sick from eating at a food truck (at least in my country), while I have gotten food poisoning from actual legit restaurants.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My wife and I are traveling abroad for a wedding Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Since day two, we know of at least 3 people that have picked up a gastral-intestinal bacterial infection which include vomiting and diarrhea and literally everyone has diarrhea. You can’t drink the water and it seems as though all food is contaminated.

To make matters worse, the Airbnb we are in has a faulty sink that won’t stop running so they shut off the water while everyone in the house is vomiting and shitting every 20 to 30 minutes. I’ve since figured out how to turn it back on. But what the fuck?

Since I noticed everyone getting sick and experiencing my own awful rounds of butt-piss, with my asshole torn asunder, bleeding with every wipe, I decided I will live off bottled water and Doritos. This has kept me healthy and able to care for the weak. But I didn’t know how long I would last considering that even washing your hands is a bacterial risk.

With infrastructure here literally being held together with duct tape, how the hell does the leadership in this god forsaken country not do anything about the disgusting living conditions and contaminated water? There’s so much tourism and I swear they are making millions off Americans alone.

Anyway, fuck Mexico I’m never coming back.
Ariba

Top Bottom