• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brian Crecente leaving Polygon [Joined Glixel NY (not the SF branch that closed)]

Just saw this posted on his Twitter:

nluygJR.png

https://twitter.com/crecenteb

No word as to where he's headed next. Best wishes for one of the fathers of games journalism!

Edit: He's now joined Glixel as editorial director:

nj6bojH.png

Weebos

Banned
He also recently tweeted this:

That feeling when you're leaving somewhere you love to go somewhere that's amazing.

So it sounds like a good move for him, best of luck to him.

Arkanius

People don't like Brian Crescente here in GAF, but I'm usually very ok with him.
Kotaku fell after he left, Polygon never quite was something.

Interested to seeing his next project. Best wishes for him.

Patryn

People don't like Brian Crescente here in GAF, but I'm usually very ok with him.

Kotaku fell?

I'd argue that Kotaku only became respectable after he left. Totilo putting in the work, along with the Press Sneak Fuck breaking the stories.

entremet

I like Crescente, but Kotaku got way better when Totilo took over. Kotaku 1.0 was rather amateurish.

Best wishes to him on his future endeavor! I really enjoy his writing. It's completely new to me that people on Gaf don't like him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Polygon's video stuff is legit

bigkrev

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of his or anything, but he does not belong in the same breath as Gies or Kuchera. That would be like, I dunno, putting Philip Rivers in the same tier as Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

Pepboy

I think Kotaku fell under him. They started paying authors for clicks (I believe) and he went totally lax on editorial oversight. Lot of hyperbolic titles. Ashcroft probably had his work cut out for him, can't swing on a dime after writers have self selected and trained for that environment. Bet the owners were also terrible to work under. Totillo seems to have helped too.

I am confused though because I thought Crecente was a co-founder of polygon? Maybe he's heading to somewhere cushier like Newsweek or New York Times but I don't see where else he could go within games journalism.

Ahasverus

Kotaku fell?

I'd argue that Kotaku only became respectable after he left. Totilo putting in the work, along with the Press Sneak Fuck breaking the stories.
Yep. Kotaku was a cesspool in the Crescente days. Now they have press sneak fuck which is good.

hotcyder

Don't think I've ever been the except opposite of a thread's general attitude.

I'll miss his work at Polygon, look forward to seeing what's next in career, and look forward to seeing them keep up the great editorial work and long-form spoken history essay stuff. And please, less on the McElroys.

Ya'll so salty because they gave Bayonetta a bad mark? That's like bedrock Gamergate seeding.

MYeager

One down, two to go. (That is, Kuchera and Gies)

For guys who've put in a lot of work into something they believe in to get an amazing opportunity elsewhere? I hope they get that as well!

I certainly am not always a fan of Crecente but good for him to continue turn work into new opportunities and to take risks.

I think Kotaku fell under him. They started paying authors for clicks (I believe) and he went totally lax on editorial oversight. Lot of hyperbolic titles. Ashcroft probably had his work cut out for him, can't swing on a dime after writers have self selected and trained for that environment. Bet the owners were also terrible to work under. Totillo seems to have helped too.

I am confused though because I thought Crecente was a co-founder of polygon? Maybe he's heading to somewhere cushier like Newsweek or New York Times but I don't see where else he could go within games journalism.

To be fair, that was a Gawker network policy. All (or most) of the Gawker sites paid their authors more money based on clicks.

What the fuck??

Yeah, I guess decades of enthusiast magazines don't count. Thats a pretty embarrassing statement to make, man.

Uh, what? He's been writing about games for 25 years at the biggest gaming publications on the internet. Not discounting the influence of enthusiast magazines -- I was just saying he's had a big influence on gaming journalism since it's become more mainstream.

BiggNife

Like their video review of Doom?

The Doom thing wasn't a review, it was like a half hour stream of one of the editors playing completely blind. And one video doesn't mean an entire site is trash. I mean, no one is going to deny that there's been a bunch of bad GB QLs but GB is still a great site.

If you want good Polygon video content, watch Monster Factory, Touch the Skyrim or Awful Squad. They're all legit great.

Also re: Crecente, I never really had any feelings towards him either way, but some of the hate in this thread seems kind of crazy.

Arkanius

Kotaku fell?

I stopped following Kotaku after a few years when he left.
Don't really know how it is right now, maybe it's better. Can't comment what I don't read anymore.

Just my opinion, maybe the young me had lower quality standards back then and analysing this with rose tinted glasses.

crecente

News should be hitting soon, I believe, on my new gig. It's in game journalism. Haven't jumped into the game industry quite yet.

RdN

Jesus.. That's so, so wrong.

Kotaku massively improved after he left and Stephen Totillo took the reins.

--

Anyways.. I'm not a fan of his work, but good luck to him on his next endevour.

Top Bottom