• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brian Crecente leaving Polygon [Joined Glixel NY (not the SF branch that closed)]

8bit

Knows the Score
Before I leave you all to it: I can't say enough how much I respect the work Davison and crew did at Glixel before I came on. They set a very high bar that I'll strive to meet. Hope you all give it the runway it needs before completely dismissing it.

Take care and see you online.

Good luck!

MisterR

Yeah, bringing on a vet like Crecente signals to me that Glixel is serious about becoming a contender in the space. Will be interesting to see how he shapes the site and how Polygon changes without him there.

Nothing personal to Crecente, but he's a big step down from John Davison.

Polygon is good. Kotaku is good.

Weird what happened to Glixel. If they were keeping dedicated staff i don’t really get why they didn’t just let the current staff stay on remotely

Platy

Let's all take a moment to enjoy this classic Brian Crecente moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKoTfY84sU

ECbPewz.png

https://twitter.com/crecenteb/status/884773882745552896

Jeff-DSA

Leaving Kotaku was good for Crecente and it was good for Kotaku. Both parties grew and improved greatly afterwards. I think he was good for Polygon too.

Agree with all the Arthur Gies irritation though. I really don't understand how he has a place at a major outlet like Polygon. The guy should be grinding out salty reviews on YouTube hoping for that 2,000th subscriber.

Agree with all the Arthur Gies irritation though. I really don't understand how he has a place at a major outlet like Polygon. The guy should be grinding out salty reviews on YouTube hoping for that 2,000th subscriber.

I don't know, 2,000 subscribers sounds like a lot to me.

Granted, I don't make youtube reviews, but having even 2,000 of anything sounds pretty nice.

2000 subscribers is chump change in the world of Youtube.

Yeah I know.

It still sounds like a lot to me.

Look, all I'm saying is that if I ever wrote a review that got over 2,000 views, I'd be over the moon. Instead, most of what I do can barely manage a tenth of that. It's frustrating.

Pepboy

At least Kotaku 1.0 wrote articles about games.

Did they? It was mostly a news site, and I think a fair chunk, or even a majority, were about stuff kind of surrounding games rather than articles about games.

Unless you are counting news articles about PR releases announcing new games as "articles about games".

I mean I stopped visiting Kotaku regularly around 2010(?) so I guess I don't really know their current output too well.

Did they? It was mostly a news site, and I think a fair chunk, or even a majority, were about stuff kind of surrounding games rather than articles about games.

Unless you are counting news articles about PR releases announcing new games as "articles about games".

I mean I stopped visiting Kotaku regularly around 2010(?) so I guess I don't really know their current output too well.

My apologies, articles about the games industry, not snacks and toys, and endless reposts from their sister sites at gawker.

MrS

Banned
There wasn't any video review of Doom. There was a gameplay video played by someone who didn't know how to operate a controller, but that wasn't a review and wasn't made by the person who wrote the Polygon review.
Gies reviewed it and it was Gies playing in the video iirc.

And one video doesn't mean an entire site is trash.
That DOOM video was disgraceful but lets not pretend Polygon isn't trash anyway. They're no Eurogamer or Kotaku.

Top Bottom