• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

Link.

Two quotes:
Well, it’s a good marketing gimmick. I think it’s kind of like, let’s say the first DLC pack for Call of Duty comes out 30 days early for PS4, well, if you don’t have a PS4, if you have an Xbox, and your friends have Xbox, it doesn’t matter. Because you’re not playing with PS4 people. So you’re all getting it the same day, even if it is 30 days later.

So I don’t actually think it makes a difference at all, except for people who don’t have a console yet. And yes, there are a lot of people who don’t have a console yet, and they will be influenced by their friends, and so that 2:1 PS4 advantage means that twice as many people will tell their friends to get PS4 as Xbox One. So, I mean, it helps, but I think that ratio is key here.

The one exclusive we have forgotten about, which is also timed, clearly, is PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, and that will be a big deal. I don’t know what it will cost, I think it will be $30 or $40, but I think that will outsell most of those Japanese games on PS4, and that’s Xbox exclusive for a while- probably through the Holiday, and then it gets announced for PS4 next year, but that game will help sell systems. That game is incredible, and I can’t wait for it to hit consoles.

For once, he might not be wrong. 5M strong on Steam, and it seems like it'll resonate with the console crowd. Plus, outselling stuff like Nier, Nioh, Yaukza, and Persona isn't an impossible bar to clear.

g11

He's not wrong most likely, but PUBG is XBox exclusive for what, a few months? Basically until they take it out of early access which is supposed to be end of 2017? Not sure it's going to do much to sell XBoxes.

DNAbro

I mean that's not really wrong. PUBG has been an incredible success and I expect that to continue on consoles.

cackhyena

I'll be purchasing it again for Xbox asap. I think as soon as it hits 1.0, it goes to PS4. I don't think MS will have that big of an exclusivity lead. It's only because of the Early Access thing they have on there.

He's not wrong most likely, but PUBG is XBox exclusive for what, a few months? Basically until they take it out of early access which is supposed to be end of 2017?
We don't know the details. But even if it goes to PS4 at 1.0 (which I highly doubt it will), that leaves it as XBox platform exclusive during the holiday season rush. That's significant.

Lothars

He's not wrong most likely, but PUBG is XBox exclusive for what, a few months? Basically until they take it out of early access which is supposed to be end of 2017? Not sure it's going to do much to sell XBoxes.
Yeah I agree, It will be exclusive probably till early next year and than be on ps4, it's going to sell boatloads on the xbox but since it's not a permanent exclusive I don't see it selling more systems.

Yeah probably. Don't know how much it will affect system sales though, especially with the Battlefront-COD-Destiny marketing trifecta Sony will have.

shira

With the phenomenon that PUBG is I wonder if it could move Xbox Ones in Japan.

JlIAEpK.jpg

hurray!

PUBG will have first-person mode and be much more polished by the time it launches on consoles. Pachter is probably right in that this game is going to be huge on XB1 and later on PS4.

We don't know. It all depends on how much money Microsoft is paying for that exclusivity. More money probably means a bigger window, less money means a smaller window.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Any reason why Battlegrounds is compared to japanese PS4 games ? Every big japanese game is on PS4 and there are dozens of exclusives...Nier, Yakuza, Persona etc. they bundled together have much more influence on the PS4s success than a single title on Xbox that people already can play on PC.

no shit

people celebrate stuff like Nier passing a million because that's unlikely given how niche it is, not because we expect them to blow up the charts

Phu

Banned
Prediction: Explosively popular video game will outsell video games from moderately popular genre.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What he says about Japanese games is stupid if you ask me. Who cares? Wasn't DayZ loved the same? Where's the fanbae after so many years of exposure? It goes away or dies down.

It's not like I'm dying to play this game. I want to play it, but it's not on my must have list. These games become the flavor of the week/month, but then they're a gamble once the community goes away. I have plenty of Arma/zombie modded games in my library to probably last a lifetime.

I guess for newcomers it makes sense, but the comparison to Japanese games is stupid. How many Japanese made games did Patcher finish? Can we sit down with him and discuss his strategy on certain bosses?

He sucks the life out of consoles because he's paid to make predictions

Any reason why Battlegrounds is compared to japanese PS4 games ?
For Pachter, it's an easy line to draw. Both are exclusive to their respective consoles (for 2017 at least), and it makes a juicy headline.
But I think there is a deeper connection. For all the shit Microsoft has taken over not signing Japanese devs, they know the sales are with a game like PUBG.

Nesther

With the phenomenon that PUBG is I wonder if it could move Xbox Ones in Japan.

I don't know why it should. Everyone following the game knows it's coming to PS4. I don't see why Japanese or non-Japanese PS4 users would be urged to get an Xbox in that case. Waited 6+ months while it was on PC, might as well wait a bit longer.

sense

Any reason why Battlegrounds is compared to japanese PS4 games ? Every big japanese game is on PS4 and there are dozens of exclusives...Nier, Yakuza, Persona etc. they bundled together have much more influence on the PS4s success than a single title on Xbox that people already can play on PC.
Probably trying to imply battlegrounds will move more consoles for xb1 than japanese ps4 exclusives push ps4 hardware

There is a good chance that PUBG's popularity bubble will pop before it reaches full release though and how well it translates to consoles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I assume exclusivity.

Hmm okay...still a bit weird - i guess he means games like SFV then ? Because i doubt that Sony has to pay for exclusivity on games like Ninokuni, Persona or Yakuza.

Probably trying to imply battlegrounds will move more consoles for xb1 than japanese ps4 exclusives push ps4 hardware

I dont think thats true. Japanese games are one of the mayor reason why the Xbox looks quite bad compared to the PS4 for many player....hyped for KH 3 and wanna replay the old game ? Yeah, bad for you SE didnt port those games to Xbox. PS4 had this outstanding year so far on the back on many of those great japanese titles. Meanwhile at MS....

OK. What about Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, MLB The Show, Cash and GT Sport? It's not like those Japanese games are the only exclusives on PS4 this year. Not seeing the point of this comparison.

singhr1

What he says about Japanese games is stupid if you ask me. Who cares? Wasn't DayZ loved the same? Where's the fanbae after so many years of exposure? It goes away or dies down.

It's not like I'm dying to play this game. I want to play it, but it's not on my must have list. These games become the flavor of the week/month, but then they're a gamble once the community goes away. I have plenty of Arma/zombie modded games in my library to probably last a lifetime.

I guess for newcomers it makes sense, but the comparison to Japanese games is stupid. How many Japanese made games did Patcher finish? Can we sit down with him and discuss his strategy on certain bosses?

He sucks the life out of consoles because he's paid to make predictions

What is this post lol?

He's making a statement about sales, not long term popularity and effect on culture.

whats his point?
yeah no shit a popular western shooter will outsell niche japanese games that found success and acclaim.

if this is somehow about console sales then i find i hard to believe more people will buy xboxs because of pubg than people who bought ps4's for persona ,gt sport, nioh blah blah. for one games like these are very unlikely to show up on xbox while most of this xbox stuff eventually ends up on ps4(unless ms has an investment offcourse)

But until Battlegrounds comes out on the Xbox One, those Japanese exclusives have been putting in work to help the PS4 outsell the Xbox throughout the year. They're not solely responsible for turning the tides obviously, but bit by bit, the likes of Yakuza 0, Nioh and Nier are chipping in their worth.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What is this post lol?

He's making a statement about sales, not long term popularity and effect on culture.

It's my post for one.

I just don't like how it's Japanese games and not something else. Spanish, Dutch, German, etc.

I could care less about numbers, but I don't see why it has to be about Japanese games. How about the west. Where he gets paid. Be more specific.

singhr1

It's my post for one.

I just don't like how it's Japanese games and not something else. Spanish, Dutch, German, etc.

Why are you taking it so personally?

It's because Xbox doesn't get Japanese games and Playstation does

I'm not saying it's a comparison worthy of being made, im just saying don't read into it as him hating Japanese games

Didn't realise Microsoft were paying money. Thought it was just an early access thing.

Microsoft called it a "Launch Exclusive". That seems to indicate more than just Early Access. Either Microsoft is paying to have Bluehole push PUBG to Early Access on X1, or they're paying to keep it off PS4 for some time period. Regardless, there's little incentive for Bluehole to make a deal if Microsoft isn't paying them something.

Dunno, I get the sense that Battlegrounds' success is precisely because of how it's a refinement of past PC titles, and I'm dubious how well it will translate amongst a console audience. Historically, when it comes to multiplayer FPSes, PC and console preferences tend to be mutually exclusive, with Overwatch being pretty much the only multiplayer FPS that saw success on both consoles and PC in the last decade or so.

Plus it's Patcher. Always assume he's probably wrong.

DxD

Banned
Why is he comparing a timed exclusive to true exclusives?
And why JRPG vs a shooter genre IP over sales?
He was talking about COD then he went on a tangent to talk about JRPG.
The competition is between timed COD exclusive deal vs BG exclusive deal for the same targeted audience.
JRPG+shooter fans are very few. The niche of niches of gamer genre combination.
JRPG fans won't buy BG and vice versa for shooter fans on JRPG...so weird.

It's my post for one.

I could care less about numbers, but I don't see why it has to be about Japanese games. How about the west. Where he gets paid. Be more specific.

If it were Scandinavian MS would have already bought the company. Minecraft, Nokia, etc.

We don't know. It all depends on how much money Microsoft is paying for that exclusivity. More money probably means a bigger window, less money means a smaller window.
Who says they are paying? I think the primary reason is Microsoft have a dedicated early access program. A lot of games target XB1 first for that reason and are therefore defacto times exclusives. Doesn't mean any money is changing hands...just that MS is open to them getting money from their game before a 1.0 release.

MS didn't pay crap for Ark, Elite Dangerous, Conan Exiles, Long Dark, or any other high profile early access title. The games were there because they were allowed to be under a dedicated program

Top Bottom