• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

I really don't get his point? I mean yeah, I imagine it will too, and the PS4 version will outsell the XBONE version. This seems really obvious.

Kayant

Gamingbolt always asking the burning questions...

Still I mean he isn't wrong but still a weird comparison to bring up especially when the Japanese games in questions are full /console exclusives most of the time.
Man.... What is wrong with these extremely unsympathetic Microsoft statements and interviews this year?
??? 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Microsoft called it a "Launch Exclusive". That seems to indicate more than just Early Access. Either Microsoft is paying to have Bluehole push PUBG to Early Access on X1, or they're paying to keep it off PS4 for some time period. Regardless, there's little incentive for Bluehole to make a deal if Microsoft isn't paying them something.

No, it's exclusive only due to Early Access. The devs said it's releasing on PS4 when they go to 1.0.

FelipeMGM

well yeah, PUBG is huge

I see this situation similar with what Ark on consoles was. Came to XB1 first too, also because of Game Preview. It sold 1M there in 30-40 days, and was a huge success

When it came to PS4 it sold 1M in a month, I assume PUBG will the same. Huge on both, whenever it comes to them

Rymuth

It's not a bad prediction (been a while since Pachter had those) but key difference is that those exclusives will incentive people getting a PS4 whereas PUBG will eventually make it's way to PS4.

Short-term gain vs long-term gains - pretty much the story for this whole gen.

Battlegrounds has been talked about more than any Japanese game this year lol

Oh really?
I actually seen a lot more discussions about Breath of the Wild on all kinds of social media, Battleground while being played by many, doesn't have as much attention outside of PC Steam community.

Sure, Battlegrounds is fun as hell, but it doesn't generate a whole lot of fandom or discussion among the internet. It's not like Overwatch where there are interesting characters to write about.
Battlegrounds is just like CS:GO, lots of player, that's really it. There isn't much to talk about.

I would say there are a lot more discussion, article and fanart of Breath of the Wild than Battleground.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean, i guess sales wise, but i don't see what the point of the comparison is, that Japanese games dont matter, or are irrelevant for consumers or something? I mean that's still subjective..as i don't know what this battlegrounds thing is or care about it myself.

They are completely different audiences, those going after this battlegrounds game and those who care about Japanese titles.

How long are we expecting it to be in Game Preview on Xbox - 6 months, 12 months or even longer? This game is going to be huge on every platform on its on but 12 months on the Xbox first might move the needle a little bit.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wouldn't doubt it at all. It's an amazing game.

Oh really?
I actually seen a lot more discussions about Breath of the Wild on all kinds of social media, Battleground while being played by many, doesn't have as much attention outside of PC Steam community.

Sure, Battlegrounds is fun as hell, but it doesn't generate a whole lot of fandom or discussion among the internet. It's not like Overwatch where there are interesting characters to write about.
Battlegrounds is just like CS:GO, lots of player, that's really it. There isn't much to talk about.

I would say there are a lot more article and fanart of Breath of the Wild than Battleground.

Crazy talk. If you listen to any gaming podcasts or watch any streams, it's hugely popular. Maybe even to the point of over saturation. People are building PCs for it.

cackhyena

Oh really?
I actually seen a lot more discussions about Neir Automata on all kinds of social media, Battleground while being played a lot more, doesn't have as much attention outside of PC community.

Sure, Battlegrounds is fun as hell, but it doesn't generate a whole lot of fandom or discussion among the internet. It's not like Overwatch.

I'd argue it easily eclipses a game like Nier. It's an ongoing phenomenon that hasn't even come close to hitting its zenith.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wow, totally unexpected Pachter thread...

I for one am shocked.

I read the link, and was seeing if someone asked about Japanese PS4 games....its just something he offered up.

I mean I saw CoD, Red Dead, Battlefront, Destiny mentioned.....

Its almost like....who are you talking to.....

Will be interesting to see if it sells better on Xbox One or PS4 - I know this seems odd to say but aren't most Minecraft players on console on Xbox? I just kinda figure if it's there first, at least long enough, it might push more there.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
He really went out on a limb with this one folks

Oh really?

I would say there are a lot more discussion, article and fanart of Breath of the Wild than Battleground.

www.twitch.tv says hello

I mean, i guess sales wise, but i don't see what the point of the comparison is, that Japanese games dont matter, or are irrelevant for consumers or something? I mean that's still subjective..as i don't know what this battlegrounds thing is or care about it myself.

They are completely different audiences,
those going after this battlegrounds game and those who care about Japanese titles.

Not always. That's a strange assumption to make. I like Japanese games and I'm exited to try PUB.

cackhyena

I edit my post because I forgot about BOTW. That would be a much better comparison.

BOTW is a sure fire game of the year contender. Just an amazing experience. I don't think anything will be such a breakout hit as PUBG, though. I think the industry is gonna chase it's fame hard. It's the most obvious thing in the world to say, but...yeah.

How long are we expecting it to be in Game Preview on Xbox - 6 months, 12 months or even longer? This game is going to be huge on every platform on its on but 12 months on the Xbox first might move the needle a little bit.
IIRC devs said it's coming to PS for 1.0. It's still in early access on PC. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hit PS4 until next holiday.

Ark came out in EA on Xbox December 2015 and didn't release on PS until June 2017...should give you a decent idea of how long some of these EA games can be

-0vTwPLXXfLNkjOJ6nFm7DIwBvQI8vvUoy4hFQP6A2j3Q0bPlZscG6poNH7YBd46KeyFZPAej1NT-smmYbURW6KdKABtTGUKxJXqof8DzzWlqA_JGjwmvJJ15F5erQp7oPPSlozQ

I wish I got paid to make obvious statements and make shit up.

Crazy talk. If you listen to any gaming podcasts or watch any streams, it's hugely popular. Maybe even to the point of over saturation. People are building PCs for it.

I'd argue it's just another CS:GO, League of Legends, Hearth Stone etc

Yes, it's going to be big, huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 most viewed game on Twitch in the next 5 to 7 years.........and that's really it...

It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming'', people will play it everyday but no one will remember it once they move on to the next big thing, it's not something speical.

Sure? Nier and P4 are 2m+ games, no? I imagine the ceiling on PUBG is higher than that, especially since it immensely compliments the Xbox demographic. I still wonder how well it will translate over to console, but seeing as OW and Diablo managed, I imagine it's not too terrible a concern.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not always. That's a strange assumption to make. I like Japanese games and I'm exited to try PUB.

A majority of people who buy this battlegrounds game are not choosing between whether to buy Persona 5 or it.

What's strange is that in the interview the main thing brought up was western third party games, so patcher bringing out japanese titles for PS4 specifically don't make much sense to me in the first place

It will also outsell tons of western games on PS4 as well, so why isolate the question to japanese games

Huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 game on Twitch in the next 5 years.........and that's really it. It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming''.

This is legit one of the weirdest posts I've ever read.

You basically just reinforced how incredibly massive and popular the game is and then shrugged it off like it doesn't matter lol.

Balfour

Probably. The type of game it is appeals to most gamers

Japanese games alone cater to less than a shooter does. And that's before breaking them up into different categories

A majority of people who buy this battlegrounds game are not choosing between whether to buy Persona 5 or it.

What's strange is that in the interview the main thing brought up was western third party games, so patcher bringing out japanese titles for PS4 specifically don't make much sense to me in the first place

It will also outsell tons of western games on PS4 as well, so why isolate the question to japanese games

I think he's just talking about console differentiators and he's coming at it from a revenue standpoint. He's not saying it will turn the console sales trend upside down or anything.

Only if it's stuck in game preview for ages. BTW, what is the framerate going to be on console?
I could definitely see this happening with the game though considering it's in EA on PC and already passed 5mil copies. It could be fully possible that it could sell 1-2mil copies on Xbox before it's even close to a PS4 release

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Yes, it's going to be big, huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 most viewed game on Twitch in the next 5 to 7 years.........and that's really it...

It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming'', people will play it everyday but no one will remember it once they move on to the next big thing, it's not something speical.

Bruh

cackhyena

I'm starting to think you're trolling now.

Top Bottom