• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

Mentok

Banned
There are a lot of games that sold incredibly well and have millions of people playing it everyday, but a lot of them doesn't last long.

Angry Bird is a good example, Destiny is also a good example, those game made tons of money, but in the end of the day people don't really remember or even like them.

What I am saying is, Battleground is a extremely fun game but it isn't the end all be all that's gonna sell any console like crazy. Millions of people bought a NS for BOTW, but only a small portion of people will actually buy a [insert console name] for Battleground. Especially consider that most computer can run the game already.

What people...where... Angry Birds has had numerous sequels, licensed franchise spin-offs (like that Star Wars and Transformers stuff "nobody remembers or likes"), a tv series, a movie and a toy line. Destiny's active userbase across all platforms is probably far greater than niche Japanese games combined played on ps4s.

I wonder how MS markets this and the length for the timed exclusivity.

blakep267

Also I think people are really underestimating how it's gonna appeal to the Xbox demo. It's gonna be huge.

People also seem to think only 1 MP game can succeed at one time. That's hardly the case. GTA, BF, COD(4 of them), Destiny, halo 5, Forza Horizon 3 etc all pull good audiences on the Xbox. People can play more than 1 game during a given period of time

Ark did a mill in a month. This game is going to destroy that

I'd argue it's just another CS:GO, League of Legends, Hearth Stone etc

Yes, it's going to be big, huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 most viewed game on Twitch in the next 5 to 7 years.........and that's really it...

Wow. Man, you're gonna give console gamers a bad look posting garbage like this, lol.
This post should be framed and given an award at the end of the year. That's how bad it is; it goes above and beyond the call. We'll call it the "Post that reminded the most users about the Ignore function" award. Jesus Fuck.

It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming'', people will play it everyday but no one will remember it once they move on to the next big thing, it's not something speical.

Yeah, just like CS GO, League of Legends, and Hearthstone!
Oh wait.
You remember when you were a kid and your parents told you to shush whenever you decided to chime in on things that, as a child, you'd obviously know nothing about? It's time for that, now.
so shush

Oh really?
I actually seen a lot more discussions about Breath of the Wild on all kinds of social media, Battleground while being played by many, doesn't have as much attention outside of PC Steam community.

Sure, Battlegrounds is fun as hell, but it doesn't generate a whole lot of fandom or discussion among the internet. It's not like Overwatch where there are interesting characters to write about.
Battlegrounds is just like CS:GO, lots of player, that's really it. There isn't much to talk about.

I would say there are a lot more discussion, article and fanart of Breath of the Wild than Battleground.
You are insanely wrong, and that you could even come to that conclusion is evidence of real ignorance on your part.

Lothars

Also I think people are really underestimating how it's gonna appeal to the Xbox demo. It's gonna be huge.

People also seem to think only 1 MP game can succeed at one time. That's hardly the case. GTA, BF, COD(4 of them), Destiny, halo 5, Forza Horizon 3 etc all pull good audiences on the Xbox. People can play more than 1 game during a given period of time

Ark did a mill in a month. This game is going to destroy that
I don't think anyone is under estimating the game. It will do big sales on consoles but I don't think it will be the system seller some are saying for the xbox especially with it not being a permanent exclusive.

The game still will sell tons regardless.

"people aren't gonna remember cs go"

fucking lmfao

It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming'', people will play it everyday but no one will remember it once they move on to the next big thing, it's not something speical.

I can say the same thing for most of the big jp releases this year. I barely hear anyone talk about p5, yakuza or re7 anymore.

zelas

Yes, it's going to be big, huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 most viewed game on Twitch in the next 5 to 7 years.........and that's really it...

Popular games that can work on other platforms can be really popular too. Battlegrounds is a FPS/TPS. Those work on consoles. You also mentioned Hearthstone which was also very popular on mobile in addition to PC. Overwatch and Diablo were good console successes following their PC counterparts as well. You can't just make a blanket statement saying the success of popular PC games ends there.

And you certainly can't ignore the on going popularity of several of these titles and claim

This sounds terrible why? What?

Ahasverus

The audience overlap between PUBG and Japanese games must be in the single digits. Don't understand where he's trying to get here.

Seems logical.

I suspect it will also sell a lot of copies when it finds its way to PS4.

Is this a system seller? I don't know, but I find that hard to believe. (I assessment this is why the comparison is being made.)

This sounds terrible why? What?

because he doesn't know what he's talking about at all
because if he did he'd understand how fever dream fucking crazy that post is
how that post could only be made by somebody who knows nothing at all about PC gaming or the true relevance/longevity of the listed games

blakep267

I don't think anyone is under estimating the game. It will do big sales on consoles but I don't think it will be the system seller some are saying for the xbox especially with it not being a permanent exclusive.

The game still will sell tons regardless.
I think it's relative. It's not going to close any gaps or anything. But if I'm a prospective customer and I see I can get an Xbox for $199-&249 with all the other 3rd party games and alsonthismmassovely popular game that I watch on twitch all the time. It's enticing. More so than not having it.

Rncewind

I mean he is right when you compare this in a vacuum. Battleground is smashing hit on pc and i dont have any reason to doubt why it would be different on consoles, like minecraft back in the day. @lol at the guy try to shit talk it

However the real strength (imo) of the Playstation brand was always how diverse its aimed audience was, because of the fact "most of japanese games" come on playstation and usually sell the best on them, like many other games with diffrent target audiences. Fact or not, there is undeniable the stigma with devices from nintendo and microsoft that certain software would not sell on them. In my experience this is not even a point that ever comes up when you talk about Playstation. Cultivating such an audience through generations and promting/advertising diverse 3rd party games was always Sonys trump card.

Seems like to me Sony is playing the long game here, and wins through it.

because he doesn't know what he's talking about at all
because if he did he'd understand how fever dream fucking crazy that post is
how that post could only be made by somebody who knows nothing at all about PC gaming or the true relevance/longevity of the listed games
Haha, I want to hear what angle he was taking with that post out of morbid curiosity at this point, though.

Colbert

Banned
Okay, what is with Pachter lately? Shooting all kind of predictions out of nowhere? Sometimes contradicting himself ... He really should stay on his expertise reading and interprete balance sheets and P&Ls.

Stop trying to silence Soul of the Beast, you bullies. I wanna hear more of what this person has to say.

What? I actually quite enjoy their replies. I don't really take them seriously, but I do like reading them.

I love the fact that they take my opinion so seriously and actually take time to adress it. Knowing well it's not gonna change my mind. It's really just a difference of perspective to be honest. We simply view the world differently.

My opinion on PUBG remain unchanged: The game is fun and popular, but it ain't that big of a deal for Microsoft. Period.

I don't recommend you people take this ''argument'' too seriously though, it's really just my opinion and even I don't take it very seriously either. Hell, I actually don't care about the game at all.

Still, I appreciate your replies, very fun to read and it helps improve my English.

Head.spawn

Pachter just cursed it. The game will now sell less than "most Japanese PS4 games".

Shame, it didn't even make it to the platform yet.

There are a lot of games that sold incredibly well and have millions of people playing it everyday, but a lot of them doesn't last long.

Angry Bird is a good example, Destiny is also a good example, those game made tons of money, but in the end of the day people don't really remember or even like them.

What I am saying is, Battleground is a extremely fun game but it isn't the end all be all that's gonna sell any console like crazy. Millions of people bought a NS for BOTW, but only a small portion of people will actually buy a [insert console name] for Battleground. Especially consider that most computer can run the game already.

Me and the big little one watch Angry Birds movie on the reg, get.

leeh

Okay, what is with Pachter lately? Shooting all kind of predictions out of nowhere? Sometimes contradicting himself ... He really should stay on his expertise reading and interprete balance sheets and P&Ls.
Probably because he's got more of an audience these days. Every Patcher comment is thread worthy recently.

ResoRai

What? I actually quite enjoy their replies. I don't really take them seriously, but I do like reading them.

I love the fact that they take my opinion so seriously and actually take time to adress it. Knowing well it's not gonna change my mind. It's really just a difference of perspective to be honest. We simply view the world differently.

My opinion on PUBG remain unchanged: The game is fun and popular, but it ain't that big of a deal for Microsoft. Period.

I don't recommend you people take this ''argument'' too seriously though, it's really just my opinion and even I don't take it very seriously either. Hell, I actually don't care about the game at all.

Still, I appreciate your replies, very fun to read and it helps improve my English.
I know youre getting piled on, but I wanted to say regardless of the opinion you are sticking to, you're pretty out of touch.

Most of the games you've listed like Destiny, Minecraft, Counter Strike, are whats hot and regularly being played by the majority and have been for years. Just because they aren't special to you personally and/or are games you dont generally think about doesn't change the fact.

cackhyena

The one area I will agree with you on is that no, it won't move the needle for MS that much. If it was lifetime exclusive like say, SFV, sure. But it's coming to PS4 as well. On its own, though, I do think it'll be a hit on consoles. I'm not sure by what other metrics you need to measure it.

But why isn't "fun and popular" a big deal for Microsoft? That's exactly what you want if you're company trying to make money.

Durante

Seems logical.

I suspect it will also sell a lot of copies when it finds its way to PS4.

Is this a system seller? I don't know, but I find that hard to believe. (I assessment this is why the comparison is being made.)
I know that there are people building gaming PCs just to play PUBG. It's that big.

It's not my thing at all, but I think it's obvious at this point that it's one of the most important things to happen in gaming this year. I expect it to have a huge industry impact over the coming years.

Keinning

The one area I will agree with you on is that no, it won't move the needle for MS that much. If it was lifetime exclusive like say, SFV, sure. But it's coming to PS4 as well. On its own, though, I do think it'll be a hit on consoles. I'm not sure by what other metrics you need to measure it.

I know it wasn't your intention but it was quite funny seeing you say PUBG won't move any needles and then giving SFV as an example

cackhyena

I know it wasn't your intention but it was quite funny seeing you say PUBG won't move any needles and then giving SFV as an example

I stopped halfway through typing it, realizing the same thing. But yeah, the comparison was the first to spring to mind that is on PS4 but also PC.

Ok... so using your examples, which of CS: Go, League of Legends or Hearthstone have suffered from not lasting long?

Also

Neither of these games are forgotten... like... at all.

MechaX

Is... there a deeper point that Pachter is trying to make with this comparison?

Like, does the fact that a game (which happens to be one of the biggest shooters) may outsell a Yoko Taro game somehow diminish the fact that a Yoko Taro game even selling a million worldwide is also an achievement in of itself? Is he trying to say that Sony was wrong in putting some of its focus in Japanese games?

This just seems like such a "water is wet" kind of statement where the only real response or discussion you can give is "Ok."

I know that there are people building gaming PCs just to play PUBG. It's that big.

I mean, get this: I have friends who come over to my house almost every day just to play PUBG with my brothers and I. It's to the point where we have moved all of our gaming-ready computers over to rolling desks so that, when our buddies come over, we can wheel four setups into our living room and get some PUBG going real quick. these guys don't play PC games except for PUBG, either.

Arulan

It's not my thing at all, but I think it's obvious at this point that it's one of the most important things to happen in gaming this year. I expect it to have a huge industry impact over the coming years.

I think it's fascinating that a mod (DayZ) of Arma 2 would lead to H1Z1, and from there a mod would ultimately become PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. A significant amount of the most popular online multiplayer games come directly from mods such as Counter-Strike, Dota 2, and League of Legends.

It should be very apparent that the facilitation for end-users to create content, and perhaps become developers themselves, is often more creatively effective than the AAA behemoths. And that's one of the reasons why I strongly advocate for open-platforms.

Top Bottom