• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

What? I actually quite enjoy their replies. I don't really take them seriously, but I do like reading them.

I love the fact that they take my opinion so seriously and actually take time to adress it. Knowing well it's not gonna change my mind. It's really just a difference of perspective to be honest. We simply view the world differently.

My opinion on PUBG remain unchanged: The game is fun and popular, but it ain't that big of a deal for Microsoft. Period.

I don't recommend you people take this ''argument'' too seriously though, it's really just my opinion and even I don't take it very seriously either. Hell, I actually don't care about the game at all.

Still, I appreciate your replies, very fun to read and it helps improve my English.

Can you give an example of some games you think are a big deal?

mrk8885

Banned
That may very well be true.

But Sonys game library diversity is also why they're dominating console sales. So there that.

RedSwirl

CS:GO Failed because Valve failed to even patch the game. There's not a single patch on CSGO for the Xbox 360 it's beyond stupid how badly Valve butchered their console releases. Surprised Portal and Portal 2 even made it out well.

I thought that had more to do with Microsoft's policy on game updates back then. Valve always had problems with it.

zMiiChy-

Banned
In other words, Pachter is desperate to make an accurate prediction

I'll make a prediction of my own:
All the combined sales Of Japanese PlayStation 4 software this year will be slightly greater than this year's sales of the Xbox version of PUBG

I don't at all doubt PUGB on just a single platform will outsell any single Japanese PS4 game this year, but I'd wager all those games sales combined will equal a greater result.

sirronoh

The Japanese games comparison aside, I'm sure PUBG will sell well. On the question of whether it will sell many new consoles, I'm skeptical, for both Xbox One and eventually PS4. The primary target audience for the game is on PC and when it comes to consoles, sure plenty of people will buy the game but the audience most likely to play the game on consoles likely already has a console. My guess is there will be very few people who haven't played the game on PC but are interested in playing it while also NOT having an Xbox or PS4 yet.

Again, great game that will sell well but those sales will be coming from existing PC and/or console owners for the most part.

Guess it's time to find out what the heck PUBG actually is. I have no knowledge of what kind of game it is. All I know is that it's hugely popular now.

Wow, almost reads like a fanboy statement. Lol gees

When pubg is released on ps4, then what?

Your statement sounds more like a fanboy statement.

Firstly, there's no guarantee it will even hit PS4 within a year, if at all, which is plenty enough time to make Xbox be the primary console for the franchise.

Secondly, if and when it's released on PS4, so what? I don't understand your "then what?" It's like a comment you'd see on Gamefaqs.

Judging by the amount of asians that play this game he might not be far off the mark

U cant go into a lobby without hearing chinnaa numba one....korea numba one......japan numbaass one

Ushay

I know that there are people building gaming PCs just to play PUBG. It's that big.

It's not my thing at all, but I think it's obvious at this point that it's one of the most important things to happen in gaming this year. I expect it to have a huge industry impact over the coming years.

What exactly is this game about, what makes it so good?

Yjynx

Oh God I hope this game won't be another saviour and hope for X1 console mover.... Just like Titanfall.....

It was nuts how many people drum their hope on that game....

What meme now? Have you been on PUGB?

Edit: actually I never heard of the game before.. What makes it really good?

JJD

For once, he might not be wrong. 5M strong on Steam, and it seems like it'll resonate with the console crowd. Plus, outselling stuff like Nier, Nioh, Yaukza, and Persona isn't an impossible bar to clear.

The thing is PUBG might sell better than all those games, but it's not selling better than all of then combined.

I mean, duh?

Not even sure he had to limit the statement to specifically JP PS4 games.

Battlegrounds will probably outsell most of everything if the port is good.

Ferrio

Banned

100 people on an island try to kill each other, last one standing wins. I think how brutally hard it can be to actually win is one of the reasons it's so popular. It can also get incredibly tense, way more than most shooters. My hands were shaking the first time I won a game.

Nesther

People wanted a game like this since the movie Battle Royale became such a cult classic. This is the first game to really deliver on it and it works well in video game format, it seems.

bigjig

That's quite the stretch calling PUBG an Xbox exclusive lol. Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

FinKL

You and your friends kill people on big maps. I have no idea what makes it stand out from the dozens of other game on PC with similar makeup.

Sometimes you won't run into people for a good amount of time, so it heightens the tension people feel when they finally see someone to shoot at since the game is perma death. You kind of lose that tension in every other FPS when you can just respawn in the same game. As for the others similar games, I guess this is the most polished and latest and greatest? The original Arma mod would of been great, but the game is too sim-my? and H1Z1 is too arcadey?

You really can't call it domination in Japan

Which is probably why he didn't say that.

Anyway, Pachter's statement is both obvious and dumb, the kind of thing you'd expect from a numbers guy who doesn't really get it. Yes, PUBG will sell really well on Xbox (and then PS4 once that version comes out a few months later) but that doesn't mean you should downplay those Japanese games. The constant stream of great games during the first half of the year made the PS4 an incredibly attractive looking system and the hardware sales have reflected that.

And PS4 will still outsell the Xbox One this year because of its diversity of exclusives, both in Japan and the West. No one's going out of their way to buy an Xbox One for a timed exclusive PUBG, no matter how many units it sells.

What's the point here?

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
The thing I wondering is why did he compare one of largest establish game in the gaming market to one of the if not the most niche genre in the gaming industry? Of course it's going to sell more than Jrpgs, like anyone with a elementary education could have guess that.

Wouldn't a better comparison be PUGS vs GTAV or something? Like PUGS selling more copies on the Xbox One than GTAV or something like that.

Ushay

100 people on an island try to kill each other, last one standing wins. I think how brutally hard it can be to actually win is one of the reasons it's so popular. It can also get incredibly tense, way more than most shooters. My hands were shaking the first time I won a game.

People wanted a game like this since the movie Battle Royale became such a cult classic. This is the first game to really deliver on it and it works well in video game format, it seems.

Ahh right, so like Battle Royale. That actually sounds really exciting.

And I can already play PUBG on PC. Right. Now
Yep. You can play PUBG on Windows. Which is Microsoft's platform. The Xbox platform was a spinoff of their Windows gaming platform. Their snarky plan to "nuke Japanese consoles from the living room" with "Manhattan Project" (DirectX) hit a wee bit a snag because infiltrating the living room with a PC proved a bit difficult. So "Project Midway" (DirectXBox/Xbox), was the second pincer of their attack on Japanese consoles. It wasn't official, but the nudge-nudge, wink-wink goal of Microsoft creating modern PC gaming was to undermine the Japanese games industry. That's what the tech evangelists told developers off the record to get them on-side, even if the corporate heads denied it.

But I'm rambling. My point is that if you play the game on PC, you're already serving Microsoft's purposes quite nicely.

Matt

Yep. You can play PUBG on Windows. Which is Microsoft's platform. The Xbox platform was a spinoff of their Windows gaming platform. Their snarky plan to "nuke Japanese consoles from the living room" with "Manhattan Project" (DirectX) hit a wee bit a snag because infiltrating the living room with a PC proved a bit difficult. So "Project Midway" (DirectXBox/Xbox), was the second pincer of their attack on Japanese consoles. It wasn't official, but the nudge-nudge, wink-wink goal of Microsoft creating modern PC gaming was to undermine the Japanese games industry. That's what the tech evangelists told developers off the record to get them on-side, even if the corporate heads denied it.

But I'm rambling. My point is that if you play the game on PC, you're already serving Microsoft's purposes quite nicely.
This is a real 90s/early 2000s mindset.

cackhyena

lol

kyser73

So is he saying this'll move a lot of $499 consoles, or just that a shooting game will sell better than JRPGs?

One's a no-brainer, the other...wellll maybe

Ehker

But you know how they say consoles make money on selling games through their store where they get a cut. We can't even buy PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on the Windows store.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
But I absolutely bought a console for Nier, Persona 5, and FFXV. Which is exactly what they were probably hoping for. The thing is, just because PUBG is going to sell a lot, that doesn't invalidate all the good those games did for Sony on their own merits.

(Furthermore, I have a PC and I've been playing PUBG for weeks already anyway, so Xbox getting it means nothing to someone like me.)

Top Bottom