• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox One’s Battlegrounds Will Outsell Most of the Japanese PS4 Games

kadotsu

Banned
Only if it's stuck in game preview for ages. BTW, what is the framerate going to be on console?

The game is UE4 and the assets scale pretty far down. It should be fine, this isn't an Ark situation. On topic, I don't know what he is trying to argue? Why single out Japan. BUPG will probably outsell all MS 1st party exclusives this year on XB1 as well.

This is legit one of the weirdest posts I've ever read.

You basically just reinforced how incredibly massive and popular the game is and then shrugged it off like it doesn't matter lol.

There are a lot of games that sold incredibly well and have millions of people playing it everyday, but a lot of them doesn't last long.

Angry Bird is a good example, Destiny is also a good example, those game made tons of money, but in the end of the day people don't really remember or even like them.

What I am saying is, Battleground is a extremely fun game but it isn't the end all be all that's gonna sell any console like crazy. Millions of people bought a NS for BOTW, but only a small portion of people will actually buy a [insert console name] for Battleground. Especially consider that most computer can run the game already.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'd argue it's just another CS:GO, League of Legends, Hearth Stone etc

Yes, it's going to be big, huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 most viewed game on Twitch in the next 5 to 7 years.........and that's really it...

It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming'', people will play it everyday but no one will remember it once they move on to the next big thing, it's not something speical.

I don't know what more you could be asking for to be like.... "that's really it". A massively popular game with a ton of media coverage and an enthusiastic playerbase. You sound really out of touch tbh.

Even the big gaming sites like Giant Bomb, Gamespot, etc are doing streams of it. It's a phenomenon and is hugely popular right now.

It's also a 3rd person shooter so it will play fine with a controller if they do the legwork, which I think they will.

Hmmm....but the game is already out on PC and judging by its sales on PC, why would Japanese players who are likely already playing on PC jump to an Xbox to play the same game?

Like I understand his logic but at the same time, I don't see this game attracting a huge new audience to Xbox vs PC. It's on a console which does make it easy accessible but that's still a very strong case to make when again, this game is more popular on PC and will probably remain that way regardless of console intervention.

Idk, I don't see this bursting that much in Japan on either system...

Chobel

Yes, it's going to be big, huge worldwide playerbase, millions of player everyday, top 5 most viewed game on Twitch in the next 5 to 7 years.........and that's really it...

It's a game that belongs to the ''mainstream PC side of gaming'', people will play it everyday but no one will remember it once they move on to the next big thing, it's not something speical.

giphy.gif

DocSeuss

There are a lot of games that sold incredibly well and have millions of people playing it everyday, but a lot of them doesn't last long.

Angry Bird is a good example, Destiny is also a good example, those game made tons of money, but in the end of the day people don't really remember or even like them.

What I am saying is, Battleground is a extremely fun game but it isn't the end all be all that's gonna sell any console like crazy. Millions of people bought a NS for BOTW, but only a small portion of people will actually buy a [insert console name] for Battleground. Especially consider that most computer can run the game already.

I have never seen a post on GAF this out of touch.

More people play Battlegrounds than have even heard of Nier Automata.

Destiny has like 30 million players at this point. It's huge. It's popular. Destiny 2 might actually beat Call of Duty this year. It would be the first game to have done so since... Grand Theft Auto?

A variety of jrpg exclusives is one of the many reasons why people choose playstation. It all adds up

It doesn't, really. The combined sales of all the JRPG exclusives on the PS4 don't even match the total lifetime sales of Destiny, or any one year of FIFA, or any one year of Call of Duty...

You almost had me there.

I rate this joke 7/10 chicken dinners.

PUBG is already in better shape than Ark ever will be in terms of performance/stability/bug quantity.

That sounds good, looked up the game and it runs on UE4. I'm sure the game can be scaled down for consoles.

That aside, Pachter sort of strays on the obvious here. I think Xbox fans are more willing to embrace GaaS multiplayer titles.

Cardon

Is Gamingbolt paying Pachter for these interviews? Other than that, it seems like yet another case of stating the obvious.

Pachter.. wrong again. It would do better if it comes out 1Q 2018. If it comes out in the fall it has too much comp from COD & BF2. Casuals aren't in the loop to pick PubG over the 2 mainstays. Whatever month it drops Xbox will still be 3rd that month as we seen what MP only TitanFall, a trendsetter in its own right, did to move consoles.

Yeah who's gonna be talking about League of Legends and CSGO in 10 years? Now Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash? My grandkids are gonna ask me to tell them stories about that title

Arklite

Is H1Z1 on consoles? If not I'm surprised this might be the first game of this type to take advantage of console sales after all this time.

Even the big gaming sites like Giant Bomb, Gamespot, etc are doing streams of it. It's a phenomenon and is hugely popular right now.

It's also a 3rd person shooter so it will play fine with a controller if they do the legwork, which I think they will.

Of course I understand it's popularity, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be some holy system seller for Microsoft.
It one of those trending games that at first seems like the biggest deal to everyone, but after a while people just all kind of forget about it, rememebr Pokemon Go?

PUBG is really just a new Overwatch, except with less fanart and fanfiction, it's gonna sell extremely well on PC and console but it's not gonna sell any consoles for any first party.
It's really just gonna be another Minecraft for Microsoft.

That's really all I am trying to say, I am not trying to bash the game, I actually can't wait to play it.

Luminaire

Isn't this comparing apples to oranges? Completely different games, genres, designs, fan bases, and player types. Maybe I'm missing the point.

ianpm31

It doesn't, really. The combined sales of all the JRPG exclusives on the PS4 don't even match the total lifetime sales of Destiny, or any one year of FIFA, or any one year of Call of Duty...

I'm talking about why many people choose playstation because you can expect a diverse line up of exclusives no matter if it's big or small.

Yeah who's gonna be talking about League of Legends and CSGO in 10 years? Now Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash? My grandkids are gonna ask me to tell them stories about that title

You joke, but I did have to explain to my nephew what Shinovi Versus was on my Vita. Told him to try it, and he liked it.

He ran back to Minecraft after an hours play, however.

Ehker

if ARK is something to go by, the exclusivity could last around a year.

They've had a tighter 6 month window in mind for how long it'll be in early access, which they've pushed back to a full release before the end of Q4 2017. Console version might need more time, but it doesn't seem they're interested in keeping it in early access for long.

I've been playing it some on PC, and the friend group will most certainly be getting it on Xbox ASAP. Can't wait to play with controllers and actually have a squad.

MrS

Banned
he's right the game is INSANELY popular
Now it is, for the PC audience. Will that be the case whenever the game launches on consoles? What if it launches on Xbox against COD, Wolfenstein and Battlefront? Will it be able take mindshare and sales away from those games?

Isn't this comparing apples to oranges? Completely different games, genres, designs, fan bases, and player types. Maybe I'm missing the point.
I agree with this. Having watched streams of PUBG, I don't see how it can translate to console without being a 'lesser' experience. It's a game that's perfect for PC and designed for PC. How did CS:GO perform and play on consoles?

Orca

Pachter.. wrong again. It would do better if it comes out 1Q 2018. If it comes out in the fall it has too much comp from COD & BF2. Casuals aren't in the loop to pick PubG over the 2 mainstays. Whatever month it drops Xbox will still be 3rd that month as we seen what MP only TitanFall, a trendsetter in its own right, did to move consoles.

And the next month it'll be third again. Then it'll be second. Then it'll be first.

It's a game that'll have legs, consider how long Minecraft has been in the top 10.

singhr1

Outselling a Japanese game is a small fraction of COD/BF2 sales

cackhyena

Now it is, for the PC audience. Will that be the case whenever the game launches on consoles? What if it launches on Xbox against COD, Wolfenstein and Battlefront? Will it be able take mindshare and sales away from those games?

I agree with this. Having watched streams of PUBG, I don't see how it can translate to console without being a 'lesser' experience. It's a game that's perfect for PC and designed for PC. How did CS:GO perform and play on consoles?

How does Overwatch? I really think you guys are underselling it's appeal, and the wider audience it could reach. It's not selling well because it's a PC game, primarily. It's unique in a time of most shooters feeling like they are spinning their wheels. That could translate to something pretty special for consoles with the right marketing and word of mouth. I'll be one of many who double dips. My friend who only games on XBOX has been following it for a while and can't wait to play it there. You never know.

Blam

Cool, a memegame that will be forgotten within a couple of years will oversell other games... from other country... Okay, I guess.

Is this even a real post? "Memegame"? How is this game in anyway a meme? How is any Battle Royale game a "meme".

Destiny is also a good example, those game made tons of money, but in the end of the day people don't really remember or even like them.

What? Destiny gets a regular couple hundred thousand people playing it what do you mean. The community is extremely active.

Blam

CS:GO Failed because Valve failed to even patch the game. There's not a single patch on CSGO for the Xbox 360 it's beyond stupid how badly Valve butchered their console releases. Surprised Portal and Portal 2 even made it out well.

blakep267

How long are we expecting it to be in Game Preview on Xbox - 6 months, 12 months or even longer? This game is going to be huge on every platform on its on but 12 months on the Xbox first might move the needle a little bit.
3-6 months probably. I don't think the finished product is coming this year at all tbh. I'm guessing itll launch of Xbox in September or October

It would be a bigger deal if it was like Ark and basically Xbox console exclusive for a year. But I don't see that

Patcher also added that he thinks Madden will outsell plenty of indie titles this Holiday season.

Isn't Battlegrounds a timed console exclusive?

Does this dude just get paid to say anything? Where do I apply?

nashman

I'm worried how there going to get this game running on Jaguars. This game is very CPU heavy. Hope we don't get a stripped down version. 40 players on half the map would be horrible.

MUnited83

For you.
Of course I understand it's popularity, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be some holy system seller for Microsoft.
It one of those trending games that at first seems like the biggest deal to everyone, but after a while people just all kind of forget about it, rememebr Pokemon Go?

PUBG is really just a new Overwatch, except with less fanart and fanfiction, it's gonna sell extremely well on PC and console but it's not gonna sell any consoles for any first party.
It's really just gonna be another Minecraft for Microsoft.

That's really all I am trying to say, I am not trying to bash the game, I actually can't wait to play it.

"It's really just gonna be another Minecraft for Microsoft. "

...the most popular game in existence then, basically? Interesting.

Pachter's said some incendiary things before but he may have inadvertently started World War III with this one.
Nah. This isn't particularly controversial and doesn't require any stretch of logic or understanding. Despite personally being a fan of some of the niche Japanese titles I'm aware of the basic math of units sold. It's just a fact of the gaming industry, and has been for 10+ years.

Top Bottom